• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Shaun Wade

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
So could turf toe explain why his play took such a nosedive? Does anyone know how significant it was?
i honestly think it was just a combination of both moving to outside and all his injuries. He primarily played nickle/safety in 18/19 and was projected as a 2nd round pick. Made the move to outside corner and it just never worked for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So could turf toe explain why his play took such a nosedive? Does anyone know how significant it was?

apparently there was at least 1 family tragedy (think a death) in 2020, the injury and the move outside, the late opt back in to the season after opting out (i think he only had a 2 week lead in before the games started)

my guess is it all massively contributed to someone who just wasn't that invested in the season in the way he had been before

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He in the nfl and sucked bad last year.. 5 star recruit shouldnt even be brung up

when you're looking at a day 3 pick, there's going to be some flaw or whatever that made them drop - wade had an awful 2020 season - the idea being that maybe we bought low on a guy with a track record of talent - 5* recruit, great 2019 season (was touted as a 1st round pick at various points) - you're buying into that upside - not going to find many better upsides in a day 3 pick

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
when you're looking at a day 3 pick, there's going to be some flaw or whatever that made them drop - wade had an awful 2020 season - the idea being that maybe we bought low on a guy with a track record of talent - 5* recruit, great 2019 season (was touted as a 1st round pick at various points) - you're buying into that upside - not going to find many better upsides in a day 3 pick
A lot of these little tidbits that keep getting posted on here about wade have me warming up to it.

give me 2 or 3 of his GOOD game tapes because wade is not a guy I studied and I really went off of all the terrible things I was hearing lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
A lot of these little tidbits that keep getting posted on here about wade have me warming up to it.

give me 2 or 3 of his GOOD game tapes because wade is not a guy I studied and I really went off of all the terrible things I was hearing lol

i mean i watched him and hated him - i saw the tape outside and i saw the lack of fluid hips

but the maryland tape in 2019 is much better than his 2020 tape - i think i managed to find rutgers at one point too (which i think was pretty good also - but i cant find that one on youtube right now)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean i watched him and hated him - i saw the tape outside and i saw the lack of fluid hips

but the maryland tape in 2019 is much better than his 2020 tape - i think i managed to find rutgers at one point too (which i think was pretty good also - but i cant find that one on youtube right now)
I’ll give em a watch thanks

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
One thing about Wade from his interviews on BR.com is that he seems to have a TON of real confidence. I know all these players even 7th round picks come in and say they can do anything and they're gonna work hard etc etc, but Wade sort of just exuded supreme confidence in the way Bateman did like he was some top 20 prospect. Could mean he knows that put in the right spot in a more traditional year he can really shine.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing about Wade from his interviews on BR.com is that he seems to have a TON of real confidence. I know all these players even 7th round picks come in and say they can do anything and they're gonna work hard etc etc, but Wade sort of just exuded supreme confidence in the way Bateman did like he was some top 20 prospect. Could mean he knows that put in the right spot in a more traditional year he can really shine.
I got the same vibes, he reminds me of deshon Elliott quite honestly, first thing any db needs In the nfl is supreme confidence and he seems to have it

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I got the same vibes, he reminds me of deshon Elliott quite honestly, first thing any db needs In the nfl is supreme confidence and he seems to have it

Ok glad to see other people picked up on that too. I think that's a good thing rather than a bad one. ALSO, I have a theory about this. Especially during this covid year we selected athletically gifted players with good 2019 tape. But we also seemed to pico players who are personality wise, a little more modern if you will.

For example,

Rashod said I'll be everything Lamar needs me to be, because I can do it all.

Oweh literally clapped back at reporters over the sacks thing saying real analysts would know he was great.

Cleveland said I'm overly physical and looking to destroy people.

We just talked about wade.

Tylan said he expected to go way earlier and can't wait to get in here.

Mason said I feel like I'm thr baddest dude on the field at all times.

Analysts have said that Bateman, and Wallace, and Mason all play bigger than there size. I think the Ravens understand that the timid Miles Boykins of the world, whereas they probably make Harbaugh happy, aren't the guys who make it big time. I think the strategy was we really need a difference to naker or 2 to win a super bowl, let's swing for a home run on each pitch.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok glad to see other people picked up on that too. I think that's a good thing rather than a bad one. ALSO, I have a theory about this. Especially during this covid year we selected athletically gifted players with good 2019 tape. But we also seemed to pico players who are personality wise, a little more modern if you will.

For example,

Oweh literally clapped back at reporters over the sacks thing saying real analysts would know he was great.

Analysts have said that Bateman, and Wallace, and Mason all play bigger than there size. I think the Ravens understand that the timid Miles Boykins of the world, whereas they probably make Harbaugh happy, aren't the guys who make it big time. I think the strategy was we really need a difference to naker or 2 to win a super bowl, let's swing for a home run on each pitch.

idk that it's necessarily a personality thing with boykin - but physicality and explosion beats size 8 times out of 10

but probably also helps that hollywood's possibly already the best WR we've ever drafted (hopefully bateman's even better) and i think it showed them that you dont necessarily need to be 6ft+ to beat press and be successful on the outside - now hollywood's not super physical but bateman and wallace are - and so is watkins

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

For example,

Kinda bringing a little of that early/mid 2000s Ravens intensity back, ain’t it?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
idk that it's necessarily a personality thing with boykin - but physicality and explosion beats size 8 times out of 10

but probably also helps that hollywood's possibly already the best WR we've ever drafted (hopefully bateman's even better) and i think it showed them that you dont necessarily need to be 6ft+ to beat press and be successful on the outside - now hollywood's not super physical but bateman and wallace are - and so is watkins

What you're saying us undeniable. I'm just adding on top of what you are there seems to be a personality shift too. Think of Perriman, Boykin, even Duvernay. Now think of Rashod, Hollywood, and Tylan. And it extends to the other positions, Owwh, Wade, Cleveland, Mason.

All of these guys have that confidence and mean streak in them. Much more so than I usually feel about a draft class.