• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mainejet here again.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Again, I come in peace. I just want to say thank you to Ozzie and Erik and whoever else taught Joe Douglas what he knows because I've officially sold out for Joe Douglas. I've been watching the Jets for 45 years and I've never seen a guy like JD. I think he's the only guy besides maybe Parcells that has a plan. Joe Douglas IMO has shown to be excellent at drafting. This last draft IMO will someday go down as a turning point for the laughingstock Jets. He's done excellent in getting the best possible value for traded players and as a result we have a plethora of picks moving forward. Had 10 picks this year and still have 11 more next April. I really don't like Douglas dealing Sam Darnold but I guess I can see why he did it. I just don't feel good about it because Sammy is such a great kid and the Jets f*cked him. With that said, I think the Jets are going to be vastly improved this season. The Jets are coming off a 2-14 season. I think they could be somewhere around 7-10 this season. In the larger picture that sucks but that 5 win improvement represents a HUGE improvement and a team proving to be on the right path. What are your outside perceptions of Joe Douglas?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think joe Douglas has done great, moving on from darnold before it’s too late to recoup any value, moving on from gase, going straight for the OL and hitting a home run on a first round LT that was seen as a risky developmental pick, value on mims, then you guys CRUSHED the first round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Again, I come in peace. I just want to say thank you to Ozzie and Erik and whoever else taught Joe Douglas what he knows because I've officially sold out for Joe Douglas. I've been watching the Jets for 45 years and I've never seen a guy like JD. I think he's the only guy besides maybe Parcells that has a plan. Joe Douglas IMO has shown to be excellent at drafting. This last draft IMO will someday go down as a turning point for the laughingstock Jets. He's done excellent in getting the best possible value for traded players and as a result we have a plethora of picks moving forward. Had 10 picks this year and still have 11 more next April. I really don't like Douglas dealing Sam Darnold but I guess I can see why he did it. I just don't feel good about it because Sammy is such a great kid and the Jets f*cked him. With that said, I think the Jets are going to be vastly improved this season. The Jets are coming off a 2-14 season. I think they could be somewhere around 7-10 this season. In the larger picture that sucks but that 5 win improvement represents a HUGE improvement and a team proving to be on the right path. What are your outside perceptions of Joe Douglas?

he was one of the biggest losses our front office has had but it was inevitable he’d be moving on because of the logjam at the top

If you watch the old ravens hard knocks episode he’s the Turk

I think his first couple of years for the jets have been stellar - but obviously his success will all hinge on whether he picked the right QB

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It's because of Joe Douglas and what he's done is why I call you guys the NY Ravens. That being said, I think you guys are trending upwards and I'm looking at a 7-10 record for you guys as well. For me, it depends on how quickly Saleh can change the culture over there.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As do most teams in this league, you'll live and die by your QB choice.

If Wilson is good, you'll improve and be competitive. If he's not, everybody will get fired, including Douglas.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
he was one of the biggest losses our front office has had but it was inevitable he’d be moving on because of the logjam at the top

If you watch the old ravens hard knocks episode he’s the Turk

I think his first couple of years for the jets have been stellar - but obviously his success will all hinge on whether he picked the right QB

You had him for 16 years Sir! Give another team a shot with a great GM that cut his teeth as a scout

Mainejet

Practice Squad

If Wilson is good, you'll improve and be competitive. If he's not, everybody will get fired, including Douglas.
Agreed

Agreed. If Zach Wilson doesn't turn out to be the " baby faced assassin" as they're calling him then the team won't turn around. As your QB goes, so does your team

Mainejet

Practice Squad
With FA moves still a possibility right up to opening day, 10 players added through the draft, Joe Douglas had currently changed the roster to the tune of 22 players. Considering the actual roster is 53 and the playing day roster is 47, 22 new players is actually an enormous change.

I guess it's safe to day he didn't really care for what Mike Macagnan did to shape the roster? That's sort of ironic considering NO ONE in NY Liked anything Macagnan did! Lol

He also signed about a dozen UDFA. Including Kenny Yeboah. I love that signing and I think he has a great chance to not only make the roster, but become the starter. The TE room for the Jets is not very good at all. Herndon has played well in spots and that's about all you can say. He also signed a Kicker from SMU Chris Naggar (it's not pronounced the way it looks thank God lol) That's a good signing based purely on the fact that the Jets kicking game is HORRID. He has a good chance to make the team.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
was one of my favourite receivers in the draft

Everyone in NY has been very impressed with the connection of baby faced assassin to Elijah Moore in rookie minicamp. Elijah Moore looks so fast and quick. He reminds me of Steve Smith. I know that's a pretty lofty comparison, but I think Moore can be that good if Zach becomes a franchise QB.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
was one of my favourite receivers in the draft

Well, I guess as much of a fan as I am of the Ravens front office and their talent in:

1) They have probably the best percentage of hitting on players drafted? Not sure how true that is but I've seen articles that always point to the Ravens as the best drafting organization in football.

2) Not only do they draft well but they get players that immediately contribute as in their rookie season. If you're going to be competitive year in and year out you MUST get strong contributions from the rookies. The Ravens do that. Before last season, that hadn't even existed in NY.

3) You also seem to do well in UDFA's? In fact I'm curious.... I haven't seen, who are your UDFA and how many do you figure can make the team? JD hit on Javelin Guidry and Lamar Jackson last season.

Perhaps you can become a fan from afar of what Joe Douglas is doing? I'm just one guy and who am I? But I honestly think I'm watching a very special metamorphosis of the NYJ. It's a real privilege as a fan to watch a GM change a football team for the better.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Actually, I disagree with this.... Joe Douglas has done IMO a tremendous job picking players. If JD surrounds Zach Wilson with great players and Zach Wilson still ultimately flops? JD won't be blamed for it. The objective fan will know that Joe Douglas did EVERYTHING possible to make Zach Wilson become successful. If Wilson fails it will be because Wilson was never good enough. I think Joe Douglas, so long as he continues to draft well, can survive Zach Wilson failing....JMO

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Actually, I disagree with this.... Joe Douglas has done IMO a tremendous job picking players. If JD surrounds Zach Wilson with great players and Zach Wilson still ultimately flops? JD won't be blamed for it. The objective fan will know that Joe Douglas did EVERYTHING possible to make Zach Wilson become successful. If Wilson fails it will be because Wilson was never good enough. I think Joe Douglas, so long as he continues to draft well, can survive Zach Wilson failing....JMO
Well, two things:
1. Who was the GM that scouted and selected Zach Wilson? That would be Joe Douglas. If he was already here when Douglas took the job, then I would agree with you.
2. The Jets are not exactly known for patience and understanding when it comes to losing. If Wilson is a bust, chances are, the Jets aren't competing. Douglas is the third GM they've had in under a decade, and the 5th in the last 20 years. If the Jets go 4-5 years without being a competitive, playoff team (at a minimum) under Douglas' watch, I would bet a large sum of money he won't be around much longer beyond that. Note that's also almost precisely the rookie contract length of Wilson. They're going to be tied at the hip.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

if he builds a great team and wilson fails, i think he should be given longer but the history of the jets would suggest he wouldnt be given that 2nd chance

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, I guess as much of a fan as I am of the Ravens front office and their talent in:

1) They have probably the best percentage of hitting on players drafted? Not sure how true that is but I've seen articles that always point to the Ravens as the best drafting organization in football.

2) Not only do they draft well but they get players that immediately contribute as in their rookie season. If you're going to be competitive year in and year out you MUST get strong contributions from the rookies. The Ravens do that. Before last season, that hadn't even existed in NY.

3) You also seem to do well in UDFA's? In fact I'm curious.... I haven't seen, who are your UDFA and how many do you figure can make the team? JD hit on Javelin Guidry and Lamar Jackson last season.

Perhaps you can become a fan from afar of what Joe Douglas is doing? I'm just one guy and who am I? But I honestly think I'm watching a very special metamorphosis of the NYJ. It's a real privilege as a fan to watch a GM change a football team for the better.

i do like what joe douglas is doing

but signing and giving opportunities to udfas is a very ravens-esque thing to do - 2020 (the pandemic season) ended a 16 year streak of having at least 1 udfa make the season opening 53 man roster - we've got a couple with a chance this year but the roster is pretty filled out with talent now so there's not a great chance for those guys to make it

but i imagine (especially with javelin guidry) that special teams will be a big reason for udfas to make the team - that's true with the ravens (and other teams - seahawks are good for udfas too) but i imagine joe douglas will have brought that with him too

idk what udfas you've got this year but id imagine you'll start seeing some LBs and DBs with low picks or udfas make the roster because of special teams

and in terms of why the ravens are such a good drafting team... a lot of it is not necessarily about a high hit percentage (because most teams hit at a roughly similar rate because it's a luck driven process) but mostly it's about gaming the system... a lot of that is down to having more picks and using analytics to work out where the value is in the draft, how to maximise capital with trades etc... and it's also about gaming the compensatory pick system (which the ravens have the most of since the rule was implemented in 1993 despite not existing as an organisation until 1996 and are slated to have at least 2 more in 2022 and an additional comp pick for the minority coach hire rule)

Mainejet

Practice Squad
if he builds a great team and wilson fails, i think he should be given longer but the history of the jets would suggest he wouldnt be given that 2nd chance

TRUE, but that's the perception you all have of JETS FANS not ownership. Woody Johnson will NOT fire Joe Douglas if he did everything right except the QB. That would be a silly, knee jerk reaction. Just like Woody Johnson held on to Rex Ryan even after firing Mike Tannenbaum. Just like the Jets failing to get Bill Cowher as HC back in 2009 because Bill Cowher wanted to hire his own figure head as GM and Woody refused to fire Mike Tannenbaum because at that time Tannenbaum was still a good GM. Tanny had selected players like Mangold, D'Brick, Revis, Harris, Dustin Keller. He also acquired through FA guys like Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson. He also traded for Kris Jenkins and Thomas Jones.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
TRUE, but that's the perception you all have of JETS FANS not ownership. Woody Johnson will NOT fire Joe Douglas if he did everything right except the QB. That would be a silly, knee jerk reaction. Just like Woody Johnson held on to Rex Ryan even after firing Mike Tannenbaum. Just like the Jets failing to get Bill Cowher as HC back in 2009 because Bill Cowher wanted to hire his own figure head as GM and Woody refused to fire Mike Tannenbaum because at that time Tannenbaum was still a good GM. Tanny had selected players like Mangold, D'Brick, Revis, Harris, Dustin Keller. He also acquired through FA guys like Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson. He also traded for Kris Jenkins and Thomas Jones.

no that's my perception of jets ownership - they've demonstrated an inability to stick with any staff for any period of time through hardship - you have to go back to the 80s to find the only GM other than Tannenbaum who lasted more than 4 years...