• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mainejet here again.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I forgot to mention this and I'm sure Ravens nation should have at least a little interest in this being that Alex Lewis used to be a Raven?

Lewis played pretty well next to Becton but later in the season he got himself in hot water. I guess by the sounds of things, he started mouthing off to Adam Gase. He really thought, like most, that Gase was an idiot. He got into disagreements with not only Gase but also fellow players. His behavior pissed off Joe Douglas something awful. Everyone thought Douglas would cut Lewis. Instead, Lewis took a cut in pay and one less year on his contract........

Alex Lewis has to earn Jets’ trust after rocky end to 2020
By Brian Costello

June 21, 2021 | 12:51pm | Updated

As the Jets get closer to training camp, I am examining the roster and giving you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 25: Alex Lewis
Last year’s ranking: 17

Position: OG

Age on Opening Day: 29

How acquired: Traded by the Ravens on Aug. 5, 2019 in exchange for a 2020 seventh-round pick.

Years left on contract: 1

2021 Salary Cap figure: $4.9 million

Jets guard Alex Lewis Corey Sipkin
Looking back at 2020
It is hard to think of a stranger season than the one Lewis had in 2020. When he was on the field, he performed decently. PFF ranked him 26th out of the 80 guards they graded. He gave up zero sacks and only 16 hurries, per PFF. He started the first nine of the first 10 games for the Jets at left guard. Then, he was mysteriously inactive against the Dolphins at the end of November. It turned out that Lewis had clashed with coaches and teammates and the team placed him on the non-football injury list as he sought medical help for a non-football issue. Sources said that Lewis had a very difficult time with all of the losing the Jets were doing last year and felt that some coaches and teammates did not care as much as he did. This led to a few clashes in practice. Lewis actually returned to practice in Week 17, but again had an issue with a teammate in practice, according to sources.

Outlook for 2021

It looked like Lewis might be a salary-cap casualty this winter, but the Jets chose instead to restructure his contract. They cut Lewis’ salary from $5.8 million to $3 million and took off the last year of his three-year contract, making him a free agent in 2022.

When the Jets drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round, the left guard spot was filled, but Lewis is expected to compete at right guard with Greg Van Roten, Dan Feeney and Cameron Clark. If you are judging just on ability, Lewis is the best of that group. But can the Jets trust him after last year? Will he break down if the team struggles again? He has been curiously absent during the OTAs this spring, which can’t be helping his cause with the coaches. He is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas, but that may not be enough for him to make the team.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
https://nypost.com/2021/08/02/jets-offensive-line-aims-for-continuity-thats-eluded-it-in-past/

Jets offensive line aiming for continuity that’s eluded it in the past

The days of Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and a dominant Jets offensive line feel like eons ago.

The line has been a point of constant frustration in recent years and general manager Joe Douglas has prioritized fixing the position, using two first-round picks in the past two years on linemen. The Jets feel good about the current group they have, but a key for them may be how much the line can stay together on the field in the next six weeks before the season opens on Sept. 12 at Carolina.

In each of the past two seasons, it felt like the offensive line was doomed before the season even started because of a lack of time together. Two years ago, Douglas added Ryan Kalil at center during training camp and he could not get ready in time to take snaps in the preseason games. That, plus other injuries, led to the line playing together for the first time in the season opener. Last year, the pandemic caused a truncated training camp and no preseason games. So, again the line, which had four new starters, did not play together until the season opened at Buffalo.

The communication issues showed themselves early in both seasons, with teams having great success against the Jets using blitzes, line stunts and twists that led to constant pressure on Sam Darnold and no running game.

The Jets line has again undergone some changes this offseason. Douglas drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round to be the starting left guard and signed Morgan Moses in June to be the likely starter at right tackle. Mekhi Becton, Connor McGovern and Greg Van Roten return as starters from last year, but it is critical for the starting five to get as many reps together as possible in training camp and in preseason games.

“That’s huge,” McGovern said. “Every offensive line I’ve been around that can stay as one unit and healthy as long as possible is definitely more successful. The nice thing about that is you build your identity and once you have that identity it’s easier to plug a guy in to that identity because they have an expectation of what they need to do. It’s a lot harder when there’s a ton of rotating early because guys are going down and you never truly build that identity of what the ones do.”

Jets head coach Robert Saleh hopes the line can develop a chemistry that will allow them to have non-verbal communication when the season arrives.

“Those guys have to have communication constantly,” Saleh said. “That continuity to be able to speak to one another without speaking to one another to give off any tips. A guard and tackle combination block and being able to look at each other and know exactly what you have to get done, so that way you’re not calling out exactly what you’re doing and tipping yourself off. All that comes into play, and understanding how they pass off in protection, games and stunts and pressures and all that. So to answer your question [on how critical preseason reps are], absolutely, it’s very important.”

The Jets are counting on improved offensive line play under new position coach John Benton. It has been well documented that the Jets are going to use a wide-zone running scheme with plenty of play-action passes off of it. That scheme needs athletic linemen who can move laterally.

The Jets have had 17 different starting offensive line combinations in the past two years as success was hard to come by. It is hard to build continuity with that kind of revolving door at the position. For the Jets offense to have any success this year, they have to stop that O-line shuffle, starting in training camp.

In each of the past two seasons, it felt like the offensive line was doomed before the season even started because of a lack of time together. Two years ago, Douglas added Ryan Kalil at center during training camp and he could not get ready in time to take snaps in the preseason games. That, plus other injuries, led to the line playing together for the first time in the season opener. Last year, the pandemic caused a truncated training camp and no preseason games. So, again the line, which had four new starters, did not play together until the season opened at Buffalo.

The communication issues showed themselves early in both seasons, with teams having great success against the Jets using blitzes, line stunts and twists that led to constant pressure on Sam Darnold and no running game.

The Jets line has again undergone some changes this offseason. Douglas drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker in the first round to be the starting left guard and signed Morgan Moses in June to be the likely starter at right tackle. Mekhi Becton, Connor McGovern and Greg Van Roten return as starters from last year, but it is critical for the starting five to get as many reps together as possible in training camp and in preseason games.

“That’s huge,” McGovern said. “Every offensive line I’ve been around that can stay as one unit and healthy as long as possible is definitely more successful. The nice thing about that is you build your identity and once you have that identity it’s easier to plug a guy in to that identity because they have an expectation of what they need to do. It’s a lot harder when there’s a ton of rotating early because guys are going down and you never truly build that identity of what the ones do.”

Jets head coach Robert Saleh hopes the line can develop a chemistry that will allow them to have non-verbal communication when the season arrives.

The Jets are counting on improved offensive line play under new position coach John Benton. It has been well documented that the Jets are going to use a wide-zone running scheme with plenty of play-action passes off of it. That scheme needs athletic linemen who can move laterally.

“This offensive line is definitely built for the outside zone run game,” McGovern said. “We’ve got a bunch of athletic dudes out there. That’s the family tree this offense comes from. For me especially, that’s what I like. That’s kind of been my bread and butter and what fits my strengths best.”

The Jets have had 17 different starting offensive line combinations in the past two years as success was hard to come by. It is hard to build continuity with that kind of revolving door at the position. For the Jets offense to have any success this year, they have to stop that O-line shuffle, starting in training camp.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-2_11-51-53.gif
    upload_2021-8-2_11-51-53.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 108
Last edited:

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Mainejet we love you my man!!! Thank you for your analysis and updates from around the league, particularly with an up and coming team in the Jets. Looking at the Jets, how do you feel about Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims, Corey Davis and Michael Carter??

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Honestly, fluffy, politically correct OL article aside, the Jets OL has been f*cking ATROCIOUS! Flat out GARBAGE for about 5 straight years because MIKE Macagnan was an idiot that either didn't think OL was important or simply didn't care. A moron of the highest order. Joe's dedication to rebuilding it has been truly inspiring. It's like he's actually listening to the fans and what they can see plain as day.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
@Mainejet we love you my man!!! Thank you for your analysis and updates from around the league, particularly with an up and coming team in the Jets. Looking at the Jets, how do you feel about Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims, Corey Davis and Michael Carter??

Dude, I'm on f*cking cloud nine!! The Jets have had a serious lack of talent at WR since 2016. Mike Macagnan (that IDIOT from hell) cut Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker after the 2016 season. Since then the idiot Mac couldn't draft a WR to save his life. See Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen 2017. Michael Carter IMO will be the Jets number 1 back this season. Tevin Coleman might steal a few carries but Carter is too talented and it shows. Elijah Moore looks like Steve Smith and I'm not kidding when I mention that. He is so fast and dynamic. It's truly a pleasure to watch him. I am psyched to see how good Denzel Mims can be. In a limited sample from last season, i thought he was excellent last season. Mims is good enough to be a number 1 IMO. And Corey Davis I'm also very impressed with. Remember, last season WR was such a weakness for the Jets after losing Robbie Anderson in FA, and getting gashed with injuries, at one point Braxton Berrios was the only healthy WR from day one that was actually playing.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude, I'm on f*cking cloud nine!! The Jets have had a serious lack of talent at WR since 2016. Mike Macagnan (that IDIOT from hell) cut Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker after the 2016 season. Since then the idiot Mac couldn't draft a WR to save his life. See Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen 2017. Michael Carter IMO will be the Jets number 1 back this season. Tevin Coleman might steal a few carries but Carter is too talented and it shows. Elijah Moore looks like Steve Smith and I'm not kidding when I mention that. He is so fast and dynamic. It's truly a pleasure to watch him. I am psyched to see how good Denzel Mims can be. In a limited sample from last season, i thought he was excellent last season. Mims is good enough to be a number 1 IMO. And Corey Davis I'm also very impressed with. Remember, last season WR was such a weakness for the Jets after losing Robbie Anderson in FA, and getting gashed with injuries, at one point Braxton Berrios was the only healthy WR from day one that was actually playing.

Yeah I kinda feel bad for Sam Darnold to be honest with you. Gase was a mess enough by himself, add in everything else and the kid never had a chance. He even almost ruined Tannehill, and Tannehill still now doesn't get the respect he deserves. Tannehill would be talked about as a top 7/top 10 QB by everybody if he had played up to this level when he was with Miami and having inconsistency issues at HC, OC and WRs

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Yeah I kinda feel bad for Sam Darnold to be honest with you. Gase was a mess enough by himself, add in everything else and the kid never had a chance. He even almost ruined Tannehill, and Tannehill still now doesn't get the respect he deserves. Tannehill would be talked about as a top 7/top 10 QB by everybody if he had played up to this level when he was with Miami and having inconsistency issues at HC, OC and WRs

I agree with you 100%, but it wasn't just Gase. Mac was an incompetent meat stick that set Sammy up for failure by being the very worst GM the NFL has ever seen. I swear MIKE Macagnan will NEVER get another job in the NFL. People are that afraid of his ability to RUIN a franchise.

Reactions: cdp

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Jets had their annual green and white scrimmage last night. Observations from sources I trust:

1) The defense dominated including getting 3 interceptions. They flew all over the field and specifically the defensive backfield, a major area of concern for the Jets, had 3 interceptions jumping routes, knocking down passes, good in run support, etc.

2) The offense looked awful, especially Zach Wilson. Zach threw 3 interceptions and Mike White, the 3rd string QB, was the only QB to drive the team down the field for a fg. They were almost always out of sync. The running game was OK but still not quite up to snuff.

3) Jets fans are a bunch of pussies. Whining and complaining because Zach had a bad practice. When he's still yet to even play in a preseason game. Also missing and moaning about Denzel Mims claiming JD is going to trade Mims because he hasn't played well. I swear Jets fans are a bunch of wacko dingbat from hell? Just one bad practice and saying JD should be fired, etc. friggin bandwagon fans....