• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mainejet here again.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/afc-udfa-class-rankings

1. New York Jets

Name Rk Pos Ht Wt RAS Comp
Kenny Yeboah 173 TE8 6'4 250 5.93 Chris Herndon
Hamilcar Rashed 214 EDGE27 6'2 251 8.31 Harold Landry
Mustafa Johnson 274 DL24 6'0 280 5.61 Luther Maddy
Milo Eifler 298 LB32 6'1 228 7.86 Juwan Simpson
Parker Ferguson 305 iOL31 6'4 290 6.5 Jon Runyan Jr.
Brendon White 316 S25 6'1 215 6.42 Josh Jones
Tristen Hoge 363 iOL37 6'5 306 --- Kurtis Gregory
Grant Hermanns 399 OT32 6'7 300 7.59 Jackson Barton
Teton Saltes 423 OT35 6'5 300 7.95 Terry Poole
Isaiah Dunn 479 CB53 5'11 189 8.93 Richard Marshall
Michael Dwumfour X DL41 6'1 294 --- Ricky Walker
Jordyn Peters X S41 6'1 202 4.66 ---
Chris Naggar X K-X 6'1 184 --- ---

Cornerback was arguably the team’s biggest pre-draft need. But because of the way the board fell -- and because New York gave up two third-rounders and a Day 3 pick to the Vikings to move up for Alijah Vera-Tucker -- the Jets ended up using three late-Day 3 picks between Nos. 150-200 overall on corner, stocking up on fliers instead of a sure-thing. Exiting the draft, TE and EDGE were the two biggest areas of need the Jets hadn't addressed.

The Jets’ UDFA priorities were clear: Get one of the best players at those three positions that had fallen through the cracks. Turns out Gang Green was willing to shell out to make that happen. The Jets became the first team to give a $200k guaranteed UDFA deal, handing it to Mississippi TE Kenny Yeboah (the deal snapped the previous record of Jacksonville signing SDSU CB Luq Barcoo to $180k in guarantees last year).

Yeboah, the No. 12 overall player on my UDFA board, reunites with collegiate teammate WR Elijah Moore in the Big Apple. Hilariously, I comped Yeboah to Chris Herndon, the man he’ll now be competing against (along with Ryan Griffin).

The Jets then outright disrespected Barcoo by also breaking his guaranteed record for a UDFA corner, handing Oregon State CB Isaiah Dunn $185,000. The Jets like Dunn more than I do -- he was my No. 15 UDFA corner -- but he’s got the size and athleticism to stick and was better in 2018-2019 than he was in a five-game sample last fall.

New York also brought in Dunn’s college teammate, Hamilcar Rashed, to infuse young blood at EDGE. Rashed’s signing bonus hasn’t been reported; whatever guarantees he got will pale in comparison to Yeboah and Dunn.

Rashed is a tweener. His play, like Dunn’s, dropped off over a five-game 2020 schedule (Tony Pauline went so far as to say: “Rashed often looked disinterested in 2020.”). Even so, Rashed was a second-team AP All-American in 2019 when he led the FBS with 22.5 TFL and tied for third in the country with 14 sacks. Rashed posted an 83rd-percentile RAS athletic composite at his pro day workout. Small with poor agility drills, but equipped with speed and explosion. Indisputably worth bringing in for a negligible-cost look.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
no that's my perception of jets ownership - they've demonstrated an inability to stick with any staff for any period of time through hardship - you have to go back to the 80s to find the only GM other than Tannenbaum who lasted more than 4 years...

But once you mention Tannenbaum as an exception. Tanny is an exception because Woody hangs on the people he believes are doing a good job. Just like Rex Ryan. Woody has owned the Jets since 2000 and Terry Bradway chose to step down.....

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But once you mention Tannenbaum as an exception. Tanny is an exception because Woody hangs on the people he believes are doing a good job. Just like Rex Ryan. Woody has owned the Jets since 2000 and Terry Bradway chose to step down.....
Not sure this argument helps your case though. Tannenbaum was actually in the organization for like 15 years before he was fired. He was there before Rex didn't make it much longer after Tannenbaum left (only two years). The obvious outlier in that group is that the Jets actually did some "winning". Jets made the playoffs 3 times and made 2 AFC Championship games in the first five years of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM, and they only had one losing season. For the Jets, that's tremendous.

It took all of two years of 8-8 and 6-10 records for him to be fired. That's not a good sign for ownership.

Last 10 years... zero playoff appearances, one winning season. That's how you end up with 4 GMs and 4 HC's in a 10 year period.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/afc-udfa-class-rankings

1. New York Jets

Name Rk Pos Ht Wt RAS Comp
Kenny Yeboah 173 TE8 6'4 250 5.93 Chris Herndon
Hamilcar Rashed 214 EDGE27 6'2 251 8.31 Harold Landry
Mustafa Johnson 274 DL24 6'0 280 5.61 Luther Maddy
Milo Eifler 298 LB32 6'1 228 7.86 Juwan Simpson
Parker Ferguson 305 iOL31 6'4 290 6.5 Jon Runyan Jr.
Brendon White 316 S25 6'1 215 6.42 Josh Jones
Tristen Hoge 363 iOL37 6'5 306 --- Kurtis Gregory
Grant Hermanns 399 OT32 6'7 300 7.59 Jackson Barton
Teton Saltes 423 OT35 6'5 300 7.95 Terry Poole
Isaiah Dunn 479 CB53 5'11 189 8.93 Richard Marshall
Michael Dwumfour X DL41 6'1 294 --- Ricky Walker
Jordyn Peters X S41 6'1 202 4.66 ---
Chris Naggar X K-X 6'1 184 --- ---

Cornerback was arguably the team’s biggest pre-draft need. But because of the way the board fell -- and because New York gave up two third-rounders and a Day 3 pick to the Vikings to move up for Alijah Vera-Tucker -- the Jets ended up using three late-Day 3 picks between Nos. 150-200 overall on corner, stocking up on fliers instead of a sure-thing. Exiting the draft, TE and EDGE were the two biggest areas of need the Jets hadn't addressed.

The Jets’ UDFA priorities were clear: Get one of the best players at those three positions that had fallen through the cracks. Turns out Gang Green was willing to shell out to make that happen. The Jets became the first team to give a $200k guaranteed UDFA deal, handing it to Mississippi TE Kenny Yeboah (the deal snapped the previous record of Jacksonville signing SDSU CB Luq Barcoo to $180k in guarantees last year).

Yeboah, the No. 12 overall player on my UDFA board, reunites with collegiate teammate WR Elijah Moore in the Big Apple. Hilariously, I comped Yeboah to Chris Herndon, the man he’ll now be competing against (along with Ryan Griffin).

The Jets then outright disrespected Barcoo by also breaking his guaranteed record for a UDFA corner, handing Oregon State CB Isaiah Dunn $185,000. The Jets like Dunn more than I do -- he was my No. 15 UDFA corner -- but he’s got the size and athleticism to stick and was better in 2018-2019 than he was in a five-game sample last fall.

New York also brought in Dunn’s college teammate, Hamilcar Rashed, to infuse young blood at EDGE. Rashed’s signing bonus hasn’t been reported; whatever guarantees he got will pale in comparison to Yeboah and Dunn.

Rashed is a tweener. His play, like Dunn’s, dropped off over a five-game 2020 schedule (Tony Pauline went so far as to say: “Rashed often looked disinterested in 2020.”). Even so, Rashed was a second-team AP All-American in 2019 when he led the FBS with 22.5 TFL and tied for third in the country with 14 sacks. Rashed posted an 83rd-percentile RAS athletic composite at his pro day workout. Small with poor agility drills, but equipped with speed and explosion. Indisputably worth bringing in for a negligible-cost look.

many on this board absolutely loved hamilcar rashed jr pre-draft... big fans of his
i like kenny yeboah too although he's a bit stiff which limits his potential as a route-runner - but he definitely could become an effective seam and vertical move tight-end

Mainejet

Practice Squad
many on this board absolutely loved hamilcar rashed jr pre-draft... big fans of his
i like kenny yeboah too although he's a bit stiff which limits his potential as a route-runner - but he definitely could become an effective seam and vertical move tight-end

Well, the silver lining, at least when it comes to the Jets, is their team was virtually devoid of talent. That means that even if you get a guy like Yeboah that tends to be a little stiff, he's still BETTER than anything the Jets have on their roster. Lol So Joe Douglas finding an UDFA as a TE makes him look like a genius...^_^

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Not sure this argument helps your case though. Tannenbaum was actually in the organization for like 15 years before he was fired. He was there before Rex didn't make it much longer after Tannenbaum left (only two years). The obvious outlier in that group is that the Jets actually did some "winning". Jets made the playoffs 3 times and made 2 AFC Championship games in the first five years of Tannenbaum's tenure as GM, and they only had one losing season. For the Jets, that's tremendous.

It took all of two years of 8-8 and 6-10 records for him to be fired. That's not a good sign for ownership.

Last 10 years... zero playoff appearances, one winning season. That's how you end up with 4 GMs and 4 HC's in a 10 year period.

Well, trust me. As a lifelong Jets fan I can honestly tell you MIKE Tannenbaum was very much deserving of getting fired. From 2008 on his draft choices were guys like Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill. This to say nothing about him resigning Mark Sanchez and trading for Tim Tebow. Woody was trying to create an environment of constant competitiveness. Tanny was in way over the cap after 2010 season. Cut just about all of our good players sentencing the HC and team to an 8-8 season that only continued to spiral out of control. I have no problem with Woody firing Tannenbaum. Never did.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, trust me. As a lifelong Jets fan I can honestly tell you MIKE Tannenbaum was very much deserving of getting fired. From 2008 on his draft choices were guys like Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill. This to say nothing about him resigning Mark Sanchez and trading for Tim Tebow. Woody was trying to create an environment of constant competitiveness. Tanny was in way over the cap after 2010 season. Cut just about all of our good players sentencing the HC and team to an 8-8 season that only continued to spiral out of control. I have no problem with Woody firing Tannenbaum. Never did.
don't forget about the Bell and Mosley contracts.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
don't forget about the Bell and Mosley contracts.

You're lost in time Sir. Tannenbaum was gone in 2012. It was MIKE MACAGNAN that signed Leveon Bell and then put a garbage OL in front of him. It was Macagnan that signed CJ Mosley to replace Darron Lee, a complete waste of the 20th overall pick. However, those contracts are nothing compared to TRUMAINE JOHNSON. Macagnan signed Trumaine Johnson to a 5 year 72.5 million dollar contract. And the guy was complete and utter TRASH from day one. That was literally like taking 72,500,000 dollars in cash and flushing it down the toilet....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You're lost in time Sir. Tannenbaum was gone in 2012. It was MIKE MACAGNAN that signed Leveon Bell and then put a garbage OL in front of him. It was Macagnan that signed CJ Mosley to replace Darron Lee, a complete waste of the 20th overall pick. However, those contracts are nothing compared to TRUMAINE JOHNSON. Macagnan signed Trumaine Johnson to a 5 year 72.5 million dollar contract. And the guy was complete and utter TRASH from day one. That was literally like taking 72,500,000 dollars in cash and flushing it down the toilet....
oh yes, that's right. Guess I tried to forget him. He was really bad. That was an incredibly bad signing, totally agree.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
oh yes, that's right. Guess I tried to forget him. He was really bad. That was an incredibly bad signing, totally agree.

Well, you're really not that far off. My point is Tanny, Idzik, Mac.... They were ALL hot garbage when it came to drafting. Not a one of those jokers could have spent a day as a scout. They literally RUINED any chance the Jets had at being competitive. All due respect to you Ravens fan, but I'm sure you guys have no idea what it's like to have an A$$hole as a GM....

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, in actuality, the Johnson contract probably wasn't as bad as the others...

They paid Trumaine less than half of the money on that deal. He made $34M over two years in NY. That's a lot and not a good deal for the Jets, obviously, but not like team-destroying money, and they were able to get out of it very quickly. And they actually spread that out cap-wise over four years.

Bell cost them $28M for like a year and half. That's an unfathomably, laughable amount to pay a RB. I wouldn't have paid Barry Sanders $28M, in his prime, for 1.5 years of work. And they were only able to push $4M to 2021, so it was about $24M over 1.5 seasons. Just a horrible deal, and I was very much onboard with people who laughed at this contract the moment it was signed.

I can't chalk up the Mosley contract to poor performance at this point, but its easily the worst of the three realistically. He's been paid $29.15M for TWO GAMES. That's all he's played for the Jets. Not two seasons. Two games. Can blame it on injuries and COVID, but that's a huge sum of money to pay anybody for two games, let alone an inside linebacker.

Luckily for the Jets, he's only owed $6M this year. Unfortunately for the Jets, he's also still got some decent guaranteed money left on his deal, and he's likely to remain a Jet until 2023, or at least, will count against the cap until then. All in all, he'll make upwards of at least $43M before he's gone, and likely more than that. And that'll be for a maximum of probably two years of production, and that's assuming he plays and plays well the next two years.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, you're really not that far off. My point is Tanny, Idzik, Mac.... They were ALL hot garbage when it came to drafting. Not a one of those jokers could have spent a day as a scout. They literally RUINED any chance the Jets had at being competitive. All due respect to you Ravens fan, but I'm sure you guys have no idea what it's like to have an A$$hole as a GM....
Thankfully we have had one fantastic GM and another one who is damn good himself and trained under Ozzie. If Ozzie could go to the HOF as a GM and a player he would. Eric DeCosta is much more aggressive than Ozzie and it's necessary in todays NFL and I'm not taking anything away from Oz.

Doesn't hurt that Joe Douglas worked with both Ozzie and Eric DeCosta, from 2000-15

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Thankfully we have had one fantastic GM and another one who is damn good himself and trained under Ozzie. If Ozzie could go to the HOF as a GM and a player he would. Eric DeCosta is much more aggressive than Ozzie and it's necessary in todays NFL and I'm not taking anything away from Oz.

Doesn't hurt that Joe Douglas worked with both Ozzie and Eric DeCosta, from 2000-15

Well, that's specifically what I'm betting on. It seems to me Erik Decosta spent a long time learning under Ozzie? Now that he's taken over the job I don't see any weakening of the Ravens play. They're still a perennial playoff team and always a threat to go to the SB. My feeling is Joe Douglas was a wise hiring choice by Chris Johnson? We'll see. But I really love what he's done so far and honestly I'm every New York Jets GM's nightmare. I've called Tanny, Idzik, and Mac everything but a white man.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, that's specifically what I'm betting on. It seems to me Erik Decosta spent a long time learning under Ozzie? Now that he's taken over the job I don't see any weakening of the Ravens play. They're still a perennial playoff team and always a threat to go to the SB. My feeling is Joe Douglas was a wise hiring choice by Chris Johnson? We'll see. But I really love what he's done so far and honestly I'm every New York Jets GM's nightmare. I've called Tanny, Idzik, and Mac everything but a white man.
You guys are in good hands with Joe Douglas. Ozzie seems to have taught him well. The Jets will soon be a better team.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/05/19/cameron-clark-is-one-of-the-most-important-jets-of-2021-film/

Cameron Clark is one of the most important Jets of 2021 (Film)

By Michael Nania - 05/19/2021

Cameron Clark

Jet X Graphic, Getty Images

Second-year guard Cameron Clark is one of the New York Jets’ biggest wild cards. His intriguing film at Charlotte reminds us of what he offers.

The New York Jets entered the 2021 offseason with a need at both guard spots, but here in mid-May, only one of those two spots has been filled with a clear-cut replacement. Alijah Vera-Tucker is set to take over as a starting guard (presumably on the left side) after the Jets traded up to nab him with the 14th overall pick, but the guard spot opposite Vera-Tucker remains a question mark.

Greg Van Roten currently appears slated to maintain the right guard spot, where he started 13 games last year. Van Roten enjoyed a very good middle of the season, but he started the year atrociously and finished it playing at a below-average level. Overall, he looked like exactly what he is: a decent veteran stopgap. His overall grade of 63.0 at Pro Football Focus ranked 21st out of 32 qualified right guards.

Van Roten is far from the worst stopgap in the league. If he starts and proves to be the worst player on the line, he would probably be one of the best weak links in the league and the Jets would likely be in great shape upfront. Nonetheless, the Jets can still stand to upgrade immensely over him and they do not have their long-term solution at the position yet.

Enter Cameron Clark, the 129th overall pick in the fourth round of the 2020 draft. With the potential to provide an upgrade over Van Roten and establish himself as the Jets’ second long-term guard, he is one of the biggest X-factors on the roster.

Clark was a dominant left tackle in college for the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, but he projects as a guard at the NFL level. He did not get any game action as a rookie, missing the first eight games of the season with a knee injury and then failing to crack the starting lineup despite injuries to four of the five offensive line starters.

Nobody outside of 1 Jets Drive knows for sure why Clark did not see the field in 2020. When the Jets needed replacements at the guard spots, Pat Elflein and Josh Andrews were chosen to start over Clark, and they continued to start over him despite each playing like two of the absolute worst guards in the league. Was Clark so bad in practice that he could not overcome a pair of major liabilities to earn playing time, or did the Jets always plan to redshirt him barring an emergency?

We can only speculate as to the true answer to that question, but what we do know is that Clark is a second-year pro who is only 23 years old, has highly impressive college tape on his resume, and has yet to play an NFL snap. The sheer unknown of Clark – especially when coupled with the possibility that he could represent an upgrade at a QB-supporting position where the current starter is lackluster – makes him one of the team’s most intriguing young pieces.

The last time Clark was seen playing real football, he was dominating at left tackle for the Charlotte 49ers. In 2019, he was a two-way force, ranking at the 98th percentile among the nation’s tackles with a measly allowed pressure rate of 1.4% and grading the road in the run game with an 81.6 PFF zone-blocking grade that ranked at the 92nd percentile.

Let’s take a look back at some of Clark’s film from Charlotte to refamiliarize ourselves with his game.

Pass protection technique

Clark was a stalwart blindside protector in 2019, giving up zero sacks, one quarterback hit, and four hurries over 13 starts and 354 total snaps in pass protection. While he probably will not be playing tackle at the NFL level, there are positive aspects of his technique that are translatable to the inside, particularly the work that he did with his hands.

Taking on the 6-technique defensive end (lined up over the tight end), Clark swats down the rusher’s outstretched inside arm, gains control of his inside shoulder, and then gets both hands on top of the rusher’s shoulders to shove him down into the ground.

Clark takes on the 5-technique. Clark’s two-hand punch lands too high, hitting the defender on the shoulders, but he is able to recover and win the rep thanks to his grip strength. Although Clark shoots high, he is still able to gain control as he grabs onto the defender by his shoulder pads. How is Clark able to do this?

With his mammoth 11-inch hands, a size that ranks at the 97th percentile all-time among offensive linemen. Clark never ceases control of the defender, and he eventually yanks him into the ground to finish him off.

Clark drops into a vertical set against the stand-up edge rusher. The edge slows up and clearly telegraphs an inside spin move, so Clark prepares himself to take it on.

The Charlotte product waits for the defender to have his back turned to him, and once that window opens, Clark brings both hands up and into the armpits of the defender to affirm a grip. Clark reworks his hands into the hips and carries the defender up the arc. Spin move thwarted.

Good stunt pickup. Clark is put at a disadvantage as he takes a wide set against an ET stunt (edge crashes down, tackle loops out), but he is able to recover. Clark extends his inside hand to make contact and drops his inside foot back so he can slide inside and help to pass off the edge rusher to the left guard.

Clark uses his left hand to push the edge rusher inside by his hip, and in the process, Clark propels off of the edge rusher to rotate his hips outside and successfully pick up the looping defensive tackle.

Jet X Membership

Manhandling Clemson defenders in the run game

Impressively, Clark posted the best run-blocking grade of his career against the best opponent he ever faced, posting a stupendous 82.1 run-blocking grade against No. 1 Clemson in 2019.

Clark made the Tigers look like cubs in an eye-popping performance that was littered with pancake blocks, flashing his potential to be a true road-grader at the NFL level.

Clark uses circular force to kick out the 5-technique, using his inside hand to strike the 5-tech’s inside shoulder and simultaneously rotating his hips outside to move the defender toward the sideline.

Clark stays with the play after generating the initial push, pursuing the defender and latching onto him. He plays through the whistle and buries his man.

Clark takes on the 4i-technique, who crashes hard to the inside. Clark uses the defender’s momentum against him, allowing the defender to ride himself out of the play. The defender finishes the play like a folded-up lawn chair.

Clark again takes on the 5-technique and focuses on moving him outside, and once again, he successfully uses circular force with his inside hand to win the play. Clark throws No. 34 into the ground pretty effortlessly.

Clark pulls to the right side. It’s far from the most agile pull you’ll ever see, but he frames the linebacker well and then throws him into the ground.

Another nice job of kicking out the 5-technique. Clark adds a little bit of extra mustard this time around. The defender gets a little greedy and tries to bend around the edge. Clark snatches the defender, using his outside hand to grab the defender’s chest and his inside hand to grab the defender’s back.

Clark channels his full-body momentum and thrusts it through his outside arm into the chest of the defender, slamming him to the mat for a first-round KO.

Yet another excellent kick-out block on the edge defender, and yet another instance of Clark finishing with some nastiness. The defender comes into Clark with heavy forward lean and his head ducked out in front. Clark punishes him for it, influencing his momentum downwards and then driving on top of his back to pancake him.

Great awareness and positioning from Clark here. He lets the backside defenders go and climbs to the second level looking for a more direct threat to the ball carrier. Clark finds the defensive end charging hard into the B-gap, on a crash course with the running back.

Clark picks him up and uses the defender’s momentum against him to help define an obvious cutback lane for the back, which the back successfully notices and uses as he runs straight behind Clark for a big gain.

The 3-technique aggressively throws his body into the B-gap looking to muddy up the trenches. Clark works down and gets on top of the 3-tech, pancaking him.

Clark kicks out to block a safety standing up on the edge. He squares his body up to the defender extremely well, also keeping his hands tight and getting them into the defender’s chest. Clark maintains a strong grip on the defender’s chest and drives him out of the picture.

Clark works a double-team with the left guard on the nose tackle and they drive him about five yards downfield. Great job by the two players of equally splitting the man, allowing them to maximize their power and gain full control.

If Clark does not pan out, it’s no biggie for Joe Douglas. He was a fourth-round pick. Most fourth-round picks do not become starters. All third-day draft selections should be expected to do almost nothing, with any value that they provide being a sweet bonus.

Regardless, it’s exciting to think about how huge of a positive impact Clark could have on the present and future of the Jets in the off chance that he does indeed fulfill his potential and become a solid starter in 2021. Should Clark take a second-year jump, becoming a present-day upgrade over Van Roten and securing his spot as a long-term starter, it would be a massive, massive victory for the health of the roster and the quality of the supporting cast around Zach Wilson.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Jets Tight End Should get First Crack at Fullback Duties in Upcoming Season

When the Jets drafted tight end Trevon Wesco in the fourth round (121st overall) out of West Virginia just a few seasons ago, the pick was met with mixed reviews from fans and critics. Tight end wasn’t a critical need and Wesco didn’t resemble many of the young up-and-coming athletic pass catchers at the position.

However, Wesco’s reputation as a hard-nosed “face in the fan” mauler in the run game whose receiving skills were good enough to keep a defense honest was reason for a bit of optimism. Yet through two seasons as a pro, Wesco has spent the vast majority of his time glued to the bench with a handful of games that saw him get double-digit reps as a blocker at both tight end and fullback. The results, while inconclusive, have been good enough for Wesco to earn a chance to win a job with the Jets in 2021.

When Mike LaFleur was brought in to run Gang Green’s offense, it was believed that the team would pursue free agent Kyle Juszczyk who thrived at fullback with LaFleur as a member of the 49ers under Kyle Shannahan. When Juszczyk opted to stay in San Franciso, rumors surfaced claiming the Jets would target fullback Ben Mason, which turned out not to be the case.

That leaves the Jets without a true fullback on the roster, but in Wesco they have a blocker who, when able to get in to a rhythm, has done some very impressive work as a lead blocker. In looking back to the 2019 season, on the rare occasions in which the Jets running game showed some degree of competence, it was Wesco as a lead blocker that help spring some of the few quality runs they had.

The Jets have added free agent running backs Tevin Coleman and Austin Walter along with rookie draft pick Michael Carter to a group that already consisted of Ty Johnson, Josh Adams and LaMical Perine. Fullback, along with what is expected to be a much improved offensive line, is one of the bigger question marks on offense that Wesco might be the answer to.

It was my belief Joe Douglas was going to draft Ben Mason. Unfortunately, you guys drafted him. Excellent choice IMO. Be that as it may, the Jets will be going into the season with really no one that's ever played fullback. I have to think this will weigh heavily on Mike LaFleurs mind and severely limit how well his version of the WCO will run.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
EDIT to Cam Clarke article and this is HUGE!!!

The #Jets and OT Morgan Moses are making progress on a potential multi-year deal, per source. Nothing done but Jets considered favorite and have made a compelling push to sign the seven-year veteran. Other teams have been involved, too.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) June 17, 2021

A move like this has the potential from my point of view being a Jets fan, of making the Jets OL a finished product? Two short years ago the Jets had absolute GARBAGE playing at OL. That years opening day lineup was Kelvin Beachum LT, James Carpenter LG, Spencer Long C, Brian Winters LG, and Brandon Shell RT.. ALL of them are no longer on the team. Fast forward to now and the Jets starting OL should be Mekhi Becton LT, Alijah Vera-Tucker LG, Connor McGovern C, Morgan Moses RT. RG becomes this all out competition between George Fant that was the Jets starting RT last season, Greg Van Roten, Cameron Clarke, Dan Feeney, and Alex Lewis. Fant was a swing Tackle in Seattle before signing with the Jets last year.

ALL I can say is.... THIS IS BIG!

With the massive overhaul JD has made to this team, I figure the Jets were somewhere around a 6 to 9 win team in 2021. The addition of Morgan Moses (assuming he signs) makes the Jets at least one game better IMO. A one game improvement in a 17 game schedule is a HUGE addition for one player to make. Morgan Moses does that, he's a 3 time Pro Bowler, he hasn't missed a single game in 6 seasons, and he's an automatic LEADER in the locker room.

The Jets still have massive gaping empty holes at CB, TE, and FB but make no mistake, assuming the Jets sign Morgan Moses, this is an ENORMOUS improvement along the entire right side of the OL. That's what big time players like Morgan Moses does for your team.......

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Jets have definitely come a long way. Morgan Moses has come a long way. From his initial years where he had bend issues to now being a stalwart and a tough as nails player, playing through injury. The Skins made a big mistake letting him go.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
EDIT to Cam Clarke article and this is HUGE!!!

The #Jets and OT Morgan Moses are making progress on a potential multi-year deal, per source. Nothing done but Jets considered favorite and have made a compelling push to sign the seven-year veteran. Other teams have been involved, too.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) June 17, 2021

A move like this has the potential from my point of view being a Jets fan, of making the Jets OL a finished product? Two short years ago the Jets had absolute GARBAGE playing at OL. That years opening day lineup was Kelvin Beachum LT, James Carpenter LG, Spencer Long C,