• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Lost's Mock Draft #4

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Mock #4: Lost Sucks

So my content output has been very low as of lately.

Mock time.

Resign:

· Ryan Jensen- He’s proven to be a solid center at this point and should not be too expensive. I think it’ll be a good idea to retain him to have a solid interior overall.

· James Hurst- I may hate him, but he’s solid depth at worst. I think he could be an ideal fit for the swing tackle spot. But I think he’s an average guard at best, but is best as a backup. He should not command a particularly large pay day.

Notable Cuts:

· Brandon Carr- We option out, save a bit of money. He’s been good, and he’s not going to be paid much, but in reality we have Humphrey who has looked very good, Jimmy Smith is playing at his absolute best, and Tavon Young will be returning next season. Also, Canaday and Hill might prove to be good depth for us. We simply have no need for him. I could see him returning on a smaller deal, but I think he is gone. He’s served his purpose as a mentor figure for Humphrey. (3.5 million)

· Albert McClellan. We’d save roughly $1 million of cap, which we’d be desperate for. ($1 million)

Pay cut/Restructure/Extension Candidates

· Jimmy Smith- He’s been very good. But not $15 million a year good. He’s already taken a paycut each of the last two seasons, but even if he shaved off $5 million off of his salary, he would have a good sized raise from the previous two seasons. This seems to be the most likely to be someone who gets extended. He will still be paid much more than he has been the previous two seasons, but we still free up some necessary cap room.

· Eric Weddle- I think he could take a paycut as he clearly is in for the best interest of the team. This is the second most likely of the bunch and I would not be surprised if this happens sooner. He’s not playing well, and frankly this should happen.

· CJ Mosley- Also seems likely he receives a backloaded extension. He’s the quarterback of the front 7 and very few in the NFL are as good at what he does as he is.

Point is: if we’re smart about it we could open up a sizeable amount of cap room. There are ways to do it that I think we’re gonna take them. Not worried about it.

Free Agent Acquisitions:

Allen Robinson- The situation is really perfect. Jacksonville has limited cap room, a QB who doesn’t appreciate a clear cut #1 WR when he sees him, and he’s coming off of an injury. Robinson is a very good player but not a bonafide megastud. What is though is a damn good option to bring in long term. He’s a #1 who’s physical and a good playmaker. Something we need on this team. Him and Maclin would be one of the more lowkey duos in the entire league, something we could really use.

Zach Brown- Yup. I have 0 faith in Peanut and Correa. We could use an ILB #2 and one who is good at everything. Brown is a very good player and would likely thrive here. Especially given that his partner in crime, CJ Mosley is a good player in his own right. This suddenly puts us as having one of the better LB corps in the entire league.

Round One: Quinten Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
View attachment 331

I contemplated on whether I should go him or Calvin Ridley here. I did the sensible thing and picked the OG. Want Yanda’s replacement? Here it is. And he’s a good one. A combination of him and Stanley will make the left side of the line untouchable and do wonders for the run game. If we hire Kubiak again? Scheme versatile. Not a problem. Nasty, no real weaknesses as a prospect, very safe pick. We’d be foolish not to take it.

Side note: Notre Dame was really turned themselves into an oline factory haven’t they?

Round Two: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma.

REHASH!

https://purpleflock.com/threads/308/

Shameless self promotion here. But Andrews is something we really need at the TE position. His ability to switch between the inline and the slot makes him a massive matchup problem for the defense. Too big for corners, too fast for most linebackers. Add in his abilities to find the soft spots in the zone with hands like pillows and boom.. Security blanket achieved.

Round Three: Dante Pettis, WR, Washington

pett.0.gif

I have some concerns about Pettis’ hands. But he looks to be a big play threat that we lack to keep the defenses honest. He is explosive when the ball is in his hands, but is also a very potent threat on the long ball. I do anticipate that we keep Maclin, and with us acquiring Robinson we would have a very underrated WR corps with two #1 Wideouts. Pettis would be a much needed compliment who could provide a bolt of energy to our offense. His hands are questionable, but I would trust them more than Perriman’s or Moore’s. That’s not getting into what he is capable of as a return man. He would help our special teams out tremendously. An explosive complimentary WR along with a potential all pro at punt returner. Not too bad for a third round pick.

Round Three(Comp): Mason Cole, Offensive Linemen, Michigan

DSC_0086-final-for-web.jpg

While an *insert us drafting a Michigan Player here* joke could be warrented, I’d be happy with a pick like this. He’s not as dominant as some would think at center, but he displays traits a potential starter at the position could have. But he has displayed significant versatility, playing several positions on the line. At worst, Cole could prove to be a very valuable depth piece for us, being a good pinch in starter along the line when we need him. At best, Cole could be the potential other starting guard when Yanda leaves. Either way, things will be looking good along the offensive line in the immediate future.

Round Four: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georiga

hqdefault.jpg

So some scouts have a 3-4 round grade on Carter.. If this happens let’s take a moment to laugh as we might have found ourselves another OLB. Yes, I am well aware that we are deep at OLB. But you can never have too many pass rushers. Carter, is someone who is starting to come into his own, but needs a lot of work. He’s a violent, physical monstrosity that makes the defense scared. He doesn’t have much production, but unlike Correa he has displayed some pass rushing moves, and like Correa has a never ending motor that should scare the hell out of some teams. This would be a good move all the way that could benefit both parties. He’s a project, but one with immense amounts of upside. And we’d be foolish not to take him if he falls to us.

Round Five: Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

20151001_031131_phillip-lindsay.jpg

Someone once called Nick Chubb a scat back.. He clearly isn’t. You want an explosive compliment to Collins/Dixon who can actually stay healthy? Look no further than Lindsay. He’s good as both a receiver, and a runner, with some nice shiftiness and some good explosiveness and speed to him. He’d be an ideal compliment to Collins, who I think is going to be the lead back at this point. Lindsay could also be a very dangerous third down weapon. Overall, even though he is a Colorado boy, I’d love him here.

Round Six: Brandon Mahone, OG/OT, Penn State

j8flL0jd.jpg

So to end the draft we take some much needed oline depth. I’d prefer to go get a lead blocker for Saquan Barkley. He’s not much of a pass protector but we could use some good run blockers and some… Actual depth for once. Yeah, I am taking three offensive linemen. Sue me. This is largely an offensive draft.

With this mock, my primary goal was to establish a good skeleton for the offense. If we cannot find our QB of the future, we still get a good supporting cast for the draft next offseason. I also think it is important to go get a good chance for Flacco. We get Flacco some new weapons in the short and long term with Robinson, Pettis, and Andrews, and Lindsay adds a new dynamic receiving threat out of the backfield, as well as an explosive change of pace back to help our committee. Adding Nelson gives us an immediate, potentially dominant, starting guard that boosts our line immediately, especially with Yanda returning. A line of Stanley-Nelson-Jensen-Yanda-Howard is a powerful offensive line that teams will fear. Cole provides some valuable depth. Finally, I get us another pass rusher and inside linebacker. An immediate upgrade at the second spot that can help out in coverage and bolster an already immensly talented defense, and another rusher to help spell Williams and company. Overall, I think we need to have an offseason similar to this going forward. Even if Flacco does not bounce back(which I think he will bounce back btw), he is not the sole problem. The supporting cast needs some major upgrades.

Well I hope you like this mock. If not... Then screw you. Have a great day.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
amazing draft but
nelson is a top 10 pick.

this team will never trade a 2nd with possibly more to get into the top 10.

never has
never will

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I can't see anything similar happening. Resign 2 O linemen and draft 3 more, while you already have 3 guys coming off an injury is too damn much. We also won't have money/cap to sign player like Robinson. I've been pounding table for Zach Brown for couple years - he was available in last two FAs and signed 1 year deals both times - what makes you think FO will want him this time around?

Kind of solid draft but I can't see it in real life.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
as much as you are passionate about this one lost im not sure this scenario is likely at all

- no way we keep both jensen and hurst
- no way we potentially give up comp picks for zach brown - tbh this is a difficult exercise to do (with free agency) until we get an idea of who the cap casualties are likely to be...
- im also afraid that given the weakness in the AFC and the way we might fall into the playoffs accidentally im not sure nelson or ridley will be in range

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I am Jimmy Smith, why exactly am I going to take a paycut playing the way that I am?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If I am Jimmy Smith, why exactly am I going to take a paycut playing the way that I am?

he's taking an extension - because he gets more money - it's his cap figure that is crazy high not the actual money he's earning - it aids both if he takes an extension that evens out his cap figure over 3 years or so but also gives him a nice new signing bonus this coming offseason

I don't agree with Nelson being a top ten pick. I would honestly be upset if we picked him there and I don't see him going in the top 10 even if he's a day-one starting G. Typically an OG won't get picked in the top 10 and that's just how it goes. Teams would rather spend a top ten pick at a skill position for a player with a small floor but high upside over a guy like Nelson.

If I can recall, Zach Martin was viewed as one of the best Gs in recent memory going into draft day and he was picked at 17. He was a guy who could play all over the line and teams viewed him as a Pro Bowl caliber Guard and he went 17. Teams won't pick an OG top ten unless they absolutely need it--badly. I don't think Nelson will be viewed anything else other then a guard and I think that will limit his ability to increase his stock. Once the dust settles in and more guys begin to emerge, I think Nelson will drop down.

I think he will be there for us, maybe it's possible he's taken two spots before us, but I really doubt he goes in the top 10.

Anyways, I'm a fan of Pettis and I would love him here, I like him a lot and I think Allen Robinson would be a big time acquisition here. He's a popular guy and with the success Jacksonville has had, I don't think they bring him back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't agree with Nelson being a top ten pick. I would honestly be upset if we picked him there and I don't see him going in the top 10 even if he's a day-one starting G. Typically an OG won't get picked in the top 10 and that's just how it goes. Teams would rather spend a top ten pick at a skill position for a player with a small floor but high upside over a guy like Nelson.

If I can recall, Zach Martin was viewed as one of the best Gs in recent memory going into draft day and he was picked at 17. He was a guy who could play all over the line and teams viewed him as a Pro Bowl caliber Guard and he went 17. Teams won't pick an OG top ten unless they absolutely need it--badly. I don't think Nelson will be viewed anything else other then a guard and I think that will limit his ability to increase his stock. Once the dust settles in and more guys begin to emerge, I think Nelson will drop down.

I think he will be there for us, maybe it's possible he's taken two spots before us, but I really doubt he goes in the top 10.

Anyways, I'm a fan of Pettis and I would love him here, I like him a lot and I think Allen Robinson would be a big time acquisition here. He's a popular guy and with the success Jacksonville has had, I don't think they bring him back.

why would you be upset if we picked him there given he may well be BPA at that point?

why would you be upset if we picked him there given he may well be BPA at that point?
There's guys who I think can make a higher impact at skill positions that would make a big difference. I would rather take Ridley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Smith, or anyone with a higher ceiling who can potentially change our offense or defense. It depends on how the board is set up but I'm taking anyone with high upside at a skill position then Nelson. Not a knock at Nelson, but having a Pro Bowl G is not as good as having a pro bowl WR, Safety, Edge, or anything like that. It's always been that way and I don't think taking Nelson there would be of good value considering that the top ten means we have a shot at Ridley or Chubb and I would be disappointed if we picked him over either of those two.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's guys who I think can make a higher impact at skill positions that would make a big difference. I would rather take Ridley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Smith, or anyone with a higher ceiling who can potentially change our offense or defense. It depends on how the board is set up but I'm taking anyone with high upside at a skill position then Nelson. Not a knock at Nelson, but having a Pro Bowl G is not as good as having a pro bowl WR, Safety, Edge, or anything like that. It's always been that way and I don't think taking Nelson there would be of good value considering that the top ten means we have a shot at Ridley or Chubb and I would be disappointed if we picked him over either of those two.

I cannot disagree with you more on that. A good OL player is more important than ANY skill position player on offense. A great OL can make bad skill position players look good but good skill position players cannot make a bad OL look good. The game begins and ends with the OL and if you have it you have a good shot on O and if you don't you might as well pack it in.

I cannot disagree with you more on that. A good OL player is more important than ANY skill position player on offense. A great OL can make bad skill position players look good but good skill position players cannot make a bad OL look good. The game begins and ends with the OL and if you have it you have a good shot on O and if you don't you might as well pack it in.
I think Brandon Williams is a good example of an impact player on the trenches of the DL. He's a guy who can make an entire DL better. I don't think that's only said for the OL. We also saw what happened to our pass rush and defense in 2015 after Suggs went down for the year. I think the one thing that is holding this defense back from being on the level of the 2015 Broncos or the 2013 Seahawks is the lack of a pass rush and I would take someone who can take our defense to the next level over Nelson.

Also let's be honest here, if we take Nelson does it change our offense? It makes us better, but I don't think that Nelson would put this offense on the map at all. This team's biggest holes is at the skill position and they lack play-makers. I would take Ridley or any top WR over Nelson. Ridley can literally change this offense while I think Nelson makes the Ravens better overall.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Brandon Williams is a good example of an impact player on the trenches of the DL. He's a guy who can make an entire DL better. I don't think that's only said for the OL. We also saw what happened to our pass rush and defense in 2015 after Suggs went down for the year. I think the one thing that is holding this defense back from being on the level of the 2015 Broncos or the 2013 Seahawks is the lack of a pass rush and I would take someone who can take our defense to the next level over Nelson.

Also let's be honest here, if we take Nelson does it change our offense? It makes us better, but I don't think that Nelson would put this offense on the map at all. This team's biggest holes is at the skill position and they lack play-makers. I would take Ridley or any top WR over Nelson. Ridley can literally change this offense while I think Nelson makes the Ravens better overall.

im gonna use dallas's 2014 offence as a great example here - they had built up a great oline but the final piece was a guard - they pick up zack martin and have had a road grading, tough to deal with offence ever since (even before they took zeke) - they've added pieces since but the most important game changing addition to their offence was their guard which took them from a middle of the road team picking at 15/16 to a playoff team that won a playoff game (stupid catch rule) and was unfortunate not to win the other (stupid catch rule)

im gonna use dallas's 2014 offence as a great example here - they had built up a great oline but the final piece was a guard - they pick up zack martin and have had a road grading, tough to deal with offence ever since (even before they took zeke) - they've added pieces since but the most important game changing addition to their offence was their guard which took them from a middle of the road team picking at 15/16 to a playoff team that won a playoff game (stupid catch rule) and was unfortunate not to win the other (stupid catch rule)
I'm not against picking Nelson in the first at all. Martin was picked at 16, if that's where we would pick Nelson then I'm absolutely fine. I just would be disappointed if we picked him over Ridley, Fitzpatrick or Chubb. If we picked him at 16 then I'm absolutely fine with that. That's just how I feel about it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not against picking Nelson in the first at all. Martin was picked at 16, if that's where we would pick Nelson then I'm absolutely fine. I just would be disappointed if we picked him over Ridley, Fitzpatrick or Chubb. If we picked him at 16 then I'm absolutely fine with that. That's just how I feel about it.

id rather nelson than chubb but id take fitzpatrick over nelson and it would be close between nelson and ridley for me

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

What you aren’t taking into account is the strength of the talent available in each draft. The 2018 draft supposedly is a weak draft. Nelson is one of the best guard prospects to come out of college in a very long time. I don’t like to compare him to other players, but I certainly believe he could be one of the top lineman in the nfl someday. That being said, I certainly wouldn’t be upset if they decided to go in the direction of McGlinchey or Ridley if either were available.

Scherff was picked top 10 and yes they tried him at tackle due to needing a tackle really badly and quickly moved him inside. They new thet May have to move him inside, but we’re ok taking him in that spot. Scherff is a very good guard in his own right.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very well said