• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Lost's Mock Draft #4

What you aren’t taking into account is the strength of the talent available in each draft. The 2018 draft supposedly is a weak draft. Nelson is one of the best guard prospects to come out of college in a very long time. I don’t like to compare him to other players, but I certainly believe he could be one of the top lineman in the nfl someday. That being said, I certainly wouldn’t be upset if they decided to go in the direction of McGlinchey or Ridley if either were available.

Scherff was picked top 10 and yes they tried him at tackle due to needing a tackle really badly and quickly moved him inside. They new thet May have to move him inside, but we’re ok taking him in that spot. Scherff is a very good guard in his own right.
Even with Zach Martin's emergence and the impact he made, you still had Guards who were not taken until literally the bottom of the 1st round. Also, come combine and pro day time, there's not much a guy like Nelson could do to boost his stock. When you have guys like Kevin White, Corey Davis, and Mike Williams leapfrog off of a combine/pro day, then it's going to make someone like Nelson forgettable.

I also don't think Scherff being viewed as a potential OT can be dismissed either. The Skins picked Scherff with the thought in mind that he can play LT and they could seal the edges and keep RGIII in the pocket. He wanted badly to transition into that type of QB and they shared the same aspirations for that as well. He's turned out well for an OG, but there's people who still believe that was too high of a pick for him.

Honestly, if we picked him in the mid-late teens, I would be very happy with the pick. It's exactly where I would pick him, but if I have Ridley, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb there, and we took Nelson over either of those three, then I would be a little bit let down.

id rather nelson than chubb but id take fitzpatrick over nelson and it would be close between nelson and ridley for me
I think Chubb could be viewed as a top 5 talent very soon, but we'll see. I personally would not think much of picking Chubb if I had the choice between the two.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Even with Zach Martin's emergence and the impact he made, you still had Guards who were not taken until literally the bottom of the 1st round. Also, come combine and pro day time, there's not much a guy like Nelson could do to boost his stock. When you have guys like Kevin White, Corey Davis, and Mike Williams leapfrog off of a combine/pro day, then it's going to make someone like Nelson forgettable.

I also don't think Scherff being viewed as a potential OT can be dismissed either. The Skins picked Scherff with the thought in mind that he can play LT and they could seal the edges and keep RGIII in the pocket. He wanted badly to transition into that type of QB and they shared the same aspirations for that as well. He's turned out well for an OG, but there's people who still believe that was too high of a pick for him.

Honestly, if we picked him in the mid-late teens, I would be very happy with the pick. It's exactly where I would pick him, but if I have Ridley, Fitzpatrick, or Chubb there, and we took Nelson over either of those three, then I would be a little bit let down.
I think you mean RT with Scherff. They immediately put him at RT, but he didn’t stay there long. I believe a strong oline is more important than the skill positions. Build the pizza, cheese and sauce before you put on the toppings. That’s just my opinion and I have no issues with them taking a wr, such as Ridley with the first pick.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Chubb could be viewed as a top 5 talent very soon, but we'll see. I personally would not think much of picking Chubb if I had the choice between the two.

I guess we’ll see but Bradley chubb is not someone who gets my scouting motor going (yet maybe)

In my opinion, Chubb isn’t fast nor long enough to go in the top 10. The only reason he makes the top 10 would be due to this being a weak draft.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
as much as you are passionate about this one lost im not sure this scenario is likely at all

- no way we keep both jensen and hurst
- no way we potentially give up comp picks for zach brown - tbh this is a difficult exercise to do (with free agency) until we get an idea of who the cap casualties are likely to be...
- im also afraid that given the weakness in the AFC and the way we might fall into the playoffs accidentally im not sure nelson or ridley will be in range
I agree, we are most likely to extend Jensen and let Hurst walk for potential comp picks. I don’t see the skins letting Zach Brown go either. Unfortunately I also agree that Nelson or Ridley will not be available, but just like every draft, someone will be available for us.

In my opinion, Chubb isn’t fast nor long enough to go in the top 10. The only reason he makes the top 10 would be due to this being a weak draft.
Can't say I disagree with him not being fast enough. I think he's pretty athletic and I don't see a lack of a first step in his game either.

I think you mean RT with Scherff. They immediately put him at RT, but he didn’t stay there long. I believe a strong oline is more important than the skill positions. Build the pizza, cheese and sauce before you put on the toppings. That’s just my opinion and I have no issues with them taking a wr, such as Ridley with the first pick.
Yeah I meant RT, that still makes a big difference IMO. Honestly, I feel like the Redskins might have been the only team that viewed him as a top 5 pick. I don't think anyone else in their position would have made the same pick and I think it was largely due to their desperation of making RGIII a pocket passer.

I definitely see what you means in what you say in regards to having an OL, I agree but if I see a guy like Ridley there then I'm not thinking about Nelson all that much. I think this offense legit needs a WR more then a OL. This year we have suffered by injuries on the OL, if Yanda didn't suffer that ankle injury I don't think we have much of a discussion about this. On the other hand the lack of production of the WR position has come from a severe lack of talent. I think the potential repercussions of not taking a WR are worse because at least you have Yanda, Hurst, and Lewis to fall back on in terms of the OL. You have nothing in terms of the WR if you pass on Ridley and guys disappoint once again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I meant RT, that still makes a big difference IMO. Honestly, I feel like the Redskins might have been the only team that viewed him as a top 5 pick. I don't think anyone else in their position would have made the same pick and I think it was largely due to their desperation of making RGIII a pocket passer.

I definitely see what you means in what you say in regards to having an OL, I agree but if I see a guy like Ridley there then I'm not thinking about Nelson all that much. I think this offense legit needs a WR more then a OL. This year we have suffered by injuries on the OL, if Yanda didn't suffer that ankle injury I don't think we have much of a discussion about this. On the other hand the lack of production of the WR position has come from a severe lack of talent. I think the potential repercussions of not taking a WR are worse because at least you have Yanda, Hurst, and Lewis to fall back on in terms of the OL. You have nothing in terms of the WR if you pass on Ridley and guys disappoint once again.

top 5 maybe was higher than i expected but i remember expecting him to go to new york at 9 at the latest

top 5 maybe was higher than i expected but i remember expecting him to go to new york at 9 at the latest
That's really the only other place I saw him at and New York has neglected the OL for a while now, do they really take him if he's there at 9 for them?

i think in a do over theyd much rather him than eli apple...
vikings, browns, saints also could have drafted him - i cant remember if rams were thought to be in play (cant remember though)
In a do-over he would be a fine pick, but if I'm picking at 9 give me Perriman(Jokes lol)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

The whole thing about drafting O line early is becoming overblown lately. Sure, you're likely getting better prospect but really good ones are fast becoming very rare finds. Apart from few exceptions in recent years, the line is pretty blurred on that front. It's not getting any better either - crapshoot that college football has become, just doesn't produce that many great O linemen anymore.

On the other hand, playmakers and pretty good defensive players seem to show up in abundance. They are better bet and provide more insurance for winning games.

So, if the team isn't in a position to draft Ronnie Stanley, there's no reason to force hand and draft OL in first just because player looks good in college (against mediocre teams) and is available. Someone from 3rd or later might need more time to develop but you end up with serviceable player any way.

Plus, once we draft mobile QB (and that day is coming soon), give me playmaker or someone who can take care of opposition receiver any day of the week.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely, if the skins take Leonard Williams like I was expecting, them I may have had 8 or 9of the first 10 picks right in my mock that year. They had to screw things up.

The whole thing about drafting O line early is becoming overblown lately. Sure, you're likely getting better prospect but really good ones are fast becoming very rare finds. Apart from few exceptions in recent years, the line is pretty blurred on that front. It's not getting any better either - crapshoot that college football has become, just doesn't produce that many great O linemen anymore.

On the other hand, playmakers and pretty good defensive players seem to show up in abundance. They are better bet and provide more insurance for winning games.

So, if the team isn't in a position to draft Ronnie Stanley, there's no reason to force hand and draft OL in first just because player looks good in college (against mediocre teams) and is available. Someone from 3rd or later might need more time to develop but you end up with serviceable player any way.

Plus, once we draft mobile QB (and that day is coming soon), give me playmaker or someone who can take care of opposition receiver any day of the week.
The way I look at it, this FO was really unable to prepare for this as unpredictable circumstances completely ripped this OL. I mean you lost your starting guards and back ups. Not really a fair situation for this team, I feel like I would feel so much better falling back and Yanda and Lewis then on anyone else at WR or DE. Yeah, Lewis is often injured but it's rare for a player to be that injured for three seasons in a row, Yanda on the other hand is really a tough player who can play at a high level through any injury, there's no doubt he's coming back and plays at a high level.

There's absolutely nothing at WR and we might need a young safety here soon. We also badly need another LB to pair with Mosley. Judon has stepped up but we could absolutely use another OLB here.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The way I look at it, this FO was really unable to prepare for this as unpredictable circumstances completely ripped this OL. I mean you lost your starting guards and back ups. Not really a fair situation for this team, I feel like I would feel so much better falling back and Yanda and Lewis then on anyone else at WR or DE. Yeah, Lewis is often injured but it's rare for a player to be that injured for three seasons in a row, Yanda on the other hand is really a tough player who can play at a high level through any injury, there's no doubt he's coming back and plays at a high level.

There's absolutely nothing at WR and we might need a young safety here soon. We also badly need another LB to pair with Mosley. Judon has stepped up but we could absolutely use another OLB here.
Injuries have made us lot of problems, definitely but we are getting players back next year and we need to go with that. Apart from Hurst at LT, we did OK considering all the drama. No need to overreact and logjam the O line. I'm sure if we do, we'll lose Mosley, Jefferson and half the defensive line to broken ankles, then what?