• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The College Football Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
not many successful HCs opting out of the NFL to go back to college...
a lot of the nfl guys who go back often couldnt or didnt hack it in the NFL or they were lower down coaches who got a significant promotion in the college game

because the quality of the players and the games mostly sucks - 2020 was one of the most interesting college seasons for me mostly because the SEC played itself every week and suddenly there was some decent competition at times...

yes the fanbases in some of these places are huge and the stadiums but my god is the football often boring - like i watch it mostly on my saturday afternoon/evening when there's nothing else to watch but mostly i dont start watching until bowl season and even then it'd better be good teams playing and even then it's mostly because im watching draft prospects

Lol I just thought this year was so much better compared to 2020 mainly cuz of the empty stadiums. I need "Ironman" played thru trumpets. As long as the matchup is competitive some of the lower level games are attractive as long as it's from a bigger conference. Sometimes the headliners turn into blowouts I'll switch to a Minnesota/Northwestern game for instance. One always good game for some reason is the Division !!! championship (check out a little if you can) and the playoffs for the FCS (lower level 1A).

I agree on the coaches tho when you look at guys like Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes the fanbases in some of these places are huge and the stadiums but my god is the football often boring - like i watch it mostly on my saturday afternoon/evening when there's nothing else to watch but mostly i dont start watching until bowl season and even then it'd better be good teams playing and even then it's mostly because im watching draft prospects

You gotta go to a game to truly understand what makes college sports so great. I love both pro and college ball but an NFL playoff game doesn’t even come close to the atmosphere of a big time college game. I did under grad at Penn St and those game days were outrageous. The DMV area unfortunately has shit college ball between Maryland, Navy, Va, and Va Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You gotta go to a game to truly understand what makes college sports so great. I love both pro and college ball but an NFL playoff game doesn’t even come close to the atmosphere of a big time college game. I did under grad at Penn St and those game days were outrageous. The DMV area unfortunately has shit college ball between Maryland, Navy, Va, and Va Tech.

i mean sure if im going though im not going for the football lol

but also ive been to lots of european football games (soccer) and that shit is incredible

having watched england football for my entire life, there's something about the sound of brass instruments at sport that kills any sense of atmosphere for me lol vs the pure unbridled hostility of angry completely fan led noise

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lol I just thought this year was so much better compared to 2020 mainly cuz of the empty stadiums. I need "Ironman" played thru trumpets. As long as the matchup is competitive some of the lower level games are attractive as long as it's from a bigger conference. Sometimes the headliners turn into blowouts I'll switch to a Minnesota/Northwestern game for instance. One always good game for some reason is the Division !!! championship (check out a little if you can) and the playoffs for the FCS (lower level 1A).

I agree on the coaches tho when you look at guys like Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin.

but like a competitive college game to me can still be boring if the level is low lol

and so much of that is down to quarterbacking - there's enough bad QB play in the NFL... it's so tough to find almost any good QB play in college

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean sure if im going though im not going for the football lol

but also ive been to lots of european football games (soccer) and that shit is incredible

having watched england football for my entire life, there's something about the sound of brass instruments at sport that kills any sense of atmosphere for me lol vs the pure unbridled hostility of angry completely fan led noise

I always wanted to go to a real soccer game. My only experience is NWSL because my daughter loves it , but dear god it is painful for me to sit through.

I am ignorant to English soccer with my only other experiences being watching Ted lasso and one port stop at Portsmouth where I watched their local team in a pub with some Royal Marines….. I’ve also never been so drunk in my life, English people have a unique skill set of drinking warm beer endlessly… apparently i do not

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I always wanted to go to a real soccer game. My only experience is NWSL because my daughter loves it , but dear god it is painful for me to sit through.

I am ignorant to English soccer with my only other experiences being watching Ted lasso and one port stop at Portsmouth where I watched their local team in a pub with some Royal Marines….. I’ve also never been so drunk in my life, English people have a unique skill set of drinking warm beer endlessly… apparently i do not

binge drinking culture will do that to you lol
but even english football has nothing on some of the crazy crowds in greece and other places lol

ive mostly stayed away from the royal marines though when ive been working/sailing/drinking down near weymouth/portland (where there's a base down there) just west of portsmouth

one of the scariest experiences in my life was getting beaten up as a 14 year old as an away fan in athens outside the stadium lol - then one of the most amazing experiences inside the stadium (but also still scary lol)

there's a reason that in football all around the world you dont mix home and away fans

the true dichotomy of football is that at the same time both nothing and everything can be happening simultaneously so it can be boring (especially if you have no rooting interest)

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
soccer? In Argentina and much of Latin America the sale of alcohol is not allowed in stadiums.
imagine why? haha.
the college football atmosphere looks fabulous, it makes me want to go to Wisconsin, hug a blonde and jump around !!!!

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
soccer? In Argentina and much of Latin America the sale of alcohol is not allowed in stadiums.
imagine why? haha.
the college football atmosphere looks fabulous, it makes me want to go to Wisconsin, hug a blonde and jump around !!!!

Ha! Hug a blonde, that almost made me spit out my coffee. If you want good looking blondes you gotta head to the south. Jump around at UW looks awesome though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bama showed up today. Their triplets look unstoppable, young, metchie, and Williams are playing together like a well oiled machine.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pending the Big ten championship my thoughts are
1. Bama
2. Michigan/Georgia
3.Cinci/ Georgia
4. Cinci/ Notre Dame

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldn’t be entirely shocked to see Cincinnati end up in the championship… they got a lot of ballers on that team.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
I think that cincinatti is a good opposition to Bama, he has good pass defense and good cb, he matches up quite well.
I don't see other teams the same to defend the Young-Metchie-Williams trio

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing they will avoid a Bama-Georgia rematch in the first round in order to try to save the rematch for the National Championship Game.

1)Michigan
2) Alabama
3)Cincinnati
4)Georgia