• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The College Football Thread

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are we gonna say swimmers, lacrosse players and fencers should get paid too?.

WTF man did you just compare my sport to fencing ??? Lol low blow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man much smarter folks than I would have to figure that out but I was assume a contract system similar to the current scholar ship system. For us, we played some nationally televised games on ESPN which the school got all the revenue for. So maybe a 3 year contact guaranteeing:
Room, classes, books, car, % of revune for televised games, % of dollars for any endorsements agreed upon by the school, and 50/50 split of any merchandise based off the athletes likeness.

A car?? Jeezus pete man. But if it's paid off the school's profits. Then perhaps but then do all the players get paid the same. What if the high paying QB gets benched? Is the backup allowed to renegotiate? Maybe ask for a faster car ( I am just kidding )? Bottomline paid contracts could create jealousies not just among teammates but all sports within that school. Also we talking about Towson St? They gotta labor too and if they go far in the FCS.....

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
actually low blows arent legal in fencing...

and let's be honest, only 1 of the sports he listed isn't a current olympic sport so...

giphy.gif

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
A car?? Jeezus pete man. But if it's paid off the school's profits. Then perhaps but then do all the players get paid the same. What if the high paying QB gets benched? Is the backup allowed to renegotiate? Maybe ask for a faster car ( I am just kidding )? Bottomline paid contracts could create jealousies not just among teammates but all sports within that school. Also we talking about Towson St? They gotta labor too and if they go far in the FCS.....

Yes , what you just said already happens.

1. Jealousy already exist for full scholarship players Vs partial
2. I “negotiated” my scholarship my junior year. Told my coach I need 8k more annually or I was transferring to a much cheaper Maryland school. Worked out great

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean yes some will do it for the love of the sport but don't be naive - for the vast majority, this is an attempt to go pro and the college education is a bonus on top (if it wasnt then guys wouldnt declare for the draft as juniors)

and yes the swimmers/lacrosse players and anyone else involved in any form of elite sport (i.e. sport where you're expected to train and compete and travel cross-country year-round) should be compensated...

if all you're being asked to do is maybe 1 afternoon training and 1 day competing a week then that's social
if you're being asked to go to the gym, train multiple times a week (and sometimes multiple times a day), attend strategy/review/film sessions, compete regularly, train in the offseason and frequently travel for competition then yes it doesnt matter what your sport is... you should be compensated for your time

I hear you man. It's not like I don't want to be paid for my labor but I can't get through to you the doors of oppurtunities that are offered. On the sports side they are being trained for free by some of the best and being bestowed an education. One they can fall back on if they do leave after their junior year and haven't graduated and the NFL didn't pan out plus the stars you know will make money on the side as is.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

easy - you pay players the same across the board - each sport has a set standard contract for every player and that's it - somewhat like the rookie contracts - means that you dont need a bunch of high school kids to hire lawyers because the terms are standardised across the board

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes , what you just said already happens.

1. Jealousy already exist for full scholarship players Vs partial
2. I “negotiated” my scholarship my junior year. Told my coach I need 8k more annually or I was transferring to a much cheaper Maryland school. Worked out great

I'm glad it worked out. Shows you how valuable you was to the team..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hear you man. It's not like I don't want to be paid for my labor but I can't get through the doors of oppurtunities that are offered. On the sports side they are being trained for free by some of the best and being bestowed an education. One they can fall back on if they do leave after their junior year and haven't graduated and the NFL didn't pan out plus the stars you know will make money on the side as is.

but they're not being "trained for free" - the guys who are training them are being paid a ton of money specifically for that purpose, they are expected to attend training sessions in order to better themselves on behalf of their team for whom they are expected to play and perform and compete which makes their college money

and yes they're getting an education - but that's not a justification really - because if they're not getting that free then why should they have to go to college at all? might as well just set up a different feeder league that's separate from college

yes you get an education, and maybe that helps you get a job (although current global market makes that far from a guarantee) and you can't pay bills or buy food with a degree certificate

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
easy - you pay players the same across the board - each sport has a set standard contract for every player and that's it - somewhat like the rookie contracts - means that you dont need a bunch of high school kids to hire lawyers because the terms are standardised across the board

So freshman get paid just as much as the seniors? I mean I'm sure you can tier it but bottomline it needs to come from elsewhere. I know we;ve had this conversation before but sure a lot of other are gonna be jealous of those athletes. Just saying and then where's the taxpayers kickback for their donation?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
but they're not being "trained for free" - the guys who are training them are being paid a ton of money specifically for that purpose, they are expected to attend training sessions in order to better themselves on behalf of their team for whom they are expected to play and perform and compete which makes their college money

and yes they're getting an education - but that's not a justification really - because if they're not getting that free then why should they have to go to college at all? might as well just set up a different feeder league that's separate from college

yes you get an education, and maybe that helps you get a job (although current global market makes that far from a guarantee) and you can't pay bills or buy food with a degree certificate

Looks good on the wall tho. What I meant by being trained for free is they're not paying for it. They're being given instruction to further their career and you have to work whether you're a doctor,engineer,scientist. It's basically studying to further your craft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So freshman get paid just as much as the seniors? I mean I'm sure you can tier it but bottomline it needs to come from elsewhere. I know we;ve had this conversation before but sure a lot of other are gonna be jealous of those athletes. Just saying and then where's the taxpayers kickback for their donation?

if there's taxpayer kickback about paying players then those taxpayers are idiots because the coaches will likely make more than all the athletes on their teams salaries combined on massively over-inflated salaries...

and the easiest way to make kids less jealous is to stop thinking about universities as for-profit places and think of them like the higher education places they're supposed to be and make them more affordable... but that's probably too radical for here lol

in the uk we're pissed off about 27k in uni fees... US fees are out of control lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks good on the wall tho. What I meant by being trained for free is they're not paying for it. They're being given instruction to further their career and you have to work whether you're a doctor,engineer,scientist. It's basically studying to further your craft.

right but it's separate to their course - they're expected to attend basically 2 degrees and that takes up all the extra time that they could otherwise spend socially, doing extra-curricular activities, earning money at a job...

so the football takes over their life so that they have to turn down non-degree related activities - and they can't opt-out of it

football on campus is a job for these guys and a 2nd degree

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
if there's taxpayer kickback about paying players then those taxpayers are idiots because the coaches will likely make more than all the athletes on their teams salaries combined on massively over-inflated salaries...

and the easiest way to make kids less jealous is to stop thinking about universities as for-profit places and think of them like the higher education places they're supposed to be and make them more affordable... but that's probably too radical for here lol

in the uk we're pissed off about 27k in uni fees... US fees are out of control lol

rossi I don't disagree that prices of universities are too high in general which is why I point out to how scholarships are so valuable. Without getting too political interest rates on loans are total garbage especiaally if it's govt funded. The loan that goes out is the loan that goes out. Should be 0% but It's still the decision/responsibility of the person on what they want to do when they pursue the loan.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
right but it's separate to their course - they're expected to attend basically 2 degrees and that takes up all the extra time that they could otherwise spend socially, doing extra-curricular activities, earning money at a job...

so the football takes over their life so that they have to turn down non-degree related activities - and they can't opt-out of it

football on campus is a job for these guys and a 2nd degree

Football players will find ways to have fun in life. Lets be real.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
rossi I don't disagree that prices of universities are too high in general which is why I point out to how scholarships are so valuable. Without getting too political interest rates on loans are total garbage especiaally if it's govt funded. The loan that goes out is the loan that goes out. Should be 0% but It's still the decision/responsibility of the person on what they want to do when they pursue the loan.

100% agree it should be 0%
honestly i think it should be free but at the very least it should be more affordable and with 0% interest rates on any student loans