• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The College Football Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm guessing they will avoid a Bama-Georgia rematch in the first round in order to try to save the rematch for the National Championship Game.

1)Michigan
2) Alabama
3)Cincinnati
4)Georgia
This is exactly how it should be, but in all likelihood it is going to be:
1)Alabama
2)Michigan
3)Georgia
4)Cincinnati

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Torn ACL....... so absolutley he fits right in with the rest of our walking dead team.

What bad luck for the boy, it was clear in the game the moment where he felt the break.
The good thing for him is that if he operates quickly and everything goes well in July, he may already be available for the team that drafts him, tremendous player

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is exactly how it should be, but in all likelihood it is going to be:
1)Alabama
2)Michigan
3)Georgia
4)Cincinnati

Looks like this is the way it turned out. It would truly be something if Cincy can topple Alabama.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looks like this is the way it turned out. It would truly be something if Cincy can topple Alabama.

I think I’m rooting for Jim and the wolverines. John got the Super Bowl, let Jim have the CFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggorT5

Practice Squad
still cant believe cinnci got in. huge for them and ohio needed to get someone in there i guess. michigan cinnci final would be a proxy war!

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
still cant believe cinnci got in. huge for them and ohio needed to get someone in there i guess. michigan cinnci final would be a proxy war!

They are going to get worked by Georgia. I’ll be pulling for Cinci , but Georgia will dominate in the trenches.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I used to really loathe college players skipping out on the bowl games, now I applaud it. Funny how things change over a few years. I would love a complete restructure of college football that includes a 16 team playoff, contracts for players, and a partnership with the NFL to mandate a minimum of three years college ball to be NFL eligible.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I used to really loathe college players skipping out on the bowl games, now I applaud it. Funny how things change over a few years. I would love a complete restructure of college football that includes a 16 team playoff, contracts for players, and a partnership with the NFL to mandate a minimum of three years college ball to be NFL eligible.

i mean it should be restructured - too many games that are completely pointless - talent differences between the top 6 or 7 programs and everyone else is devastatingly large - the competitive element is ridiculous

so yeah i 100% agree, compensation for players and partnering with the NFL would be a good start

bowl season's cool and all but probably needs revamping in some way and a larger playoff would make a lot of sense - that being said there's not much point making the playoff field 16 teams if there's only 6 or 7 teams who are vaguely competitive every year

if i was being super radical (and super unrealistic) and i was given carte blanche to do whatever i wanted structurally id get rid of the individual divisions/conferences as structured right now and create a league system with promotion/relegation with a playoff at the end of the year to see who gets promoted each year (and also to see who wins the college championship overall) and your schedule for the whole year would be all within your league

but with the way college football currently exists and the organisations that control it - that's completely unfeasible

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Disagree with a lot here. If you go into the season as a team you should end it as a team. Is it understandable? Yes. Is it applaudable? No.

A 16 team playoff is a little much and would kill the bowl system imo which takes dollars out of wherever it's held whereas 4 is not enough. It should fit right in the middle at 8 with the champs of the SEC,ACC,Big !0 and Pac 12 all securing a spot with the rest up in the air mainly thru record and strength of schedule which basically would leave most of the other conferences out. Big 12, Notre Dame would really be the only other ones in the running especially with Cincy,Houston,BYU and somebody else joining the Big 12. The rest really should move down to the FCS level. It's still division 1 level but I guess it would kill the bowl system lol. Sheesh.

Contracts for players? No f'n way!!! Not public taxpayer universities that's for sure. If there's any contracts how would you structure them? Big problem. Only way they get paid is give up their scholarship and get paid thru the NFL,boosters and the media that airs them. They have every right to get paid on the side tho thru endorsements or whatever other endeavors are thrown at them. It was way overdue that they was able to get that shit overturned that stopped them from getting paid.

As for the three years it's already pretty much like that but why the hell you gotta play college ball to play in the NFL? Maybe for the draft but for a tryout?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Disagree with a lot here. If you go into the season as a team you should end it as a team. Is it understandable? Yes. Is it applaudable? No.

A 16 team playoff is a little much and would kill the bowl system imo which takes dollars out of wherever it's held whereas 4 is not enough. It should fit right in the middle at 8 with the champs of the SEC,ACC,Big !0 and Pac 12 all securing a spot with the rest up in the air mainly thru record and strength of schedule which basically would leave most of the other conferences out. Big 12, Notre Dame would really be the only other ones in the running especially with Cincy,Houston,BYU and somebody else joining the Big 12. The rest really should move down to the FCS level. It's still division 1 level but I guess it would kill the bowl system lol. Sheesh.

Contracts for players? No f'n way!!! Not public taxpayer universities that's for sure. If there's any contracts how would you structure them? Big problem. Only way they get paid is give up their scholarship and get paid thru the NFL,boosters and the media that airs them. They have every right to get paid on the side tho thru endorsements or whatever other endeavors are thrown at them. It was way overdue that they was able to get that shit overturned that stopped them from getting paid.

As for the three years it's already pretty much like that but why the hell you gotta play college ball to play in the NFL? Maybe for the draft but for a tryout?

lol you've got a problem with contracts for players with public taxpayer money but no problem having exorbitant contracts for athletic directors and coaches with that same money?

college is great for the NFL because they dont have to pay for all this talent but it also means there's rules about eligibility etc. that prevents guys progressing when they're ready - some guys age out and never get good enough and some are ready before they become eligible

some sort of academy system would solve that but the funding then would have to come from somewhere and it could screw up the draft system so it's impossible to really do anything like that without monumentally restructuring american sports

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I understand where your coming from but If you don’t mind me asking how old are you and did you play college sports?

I think a certain group of folks maintains this mindset. I used to think like that but than i realized it was coming from my own jealousy. I played college lacrosse at Penn state , and I all i got was a degree and some concussions for my trouble. Not that I was expecting much as a lacrosse player , but I’m sure I could’ve worked something.

I love the idea of contacts and a salary cap by sport to even the playing field

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol you've got a problem with contracts for players with public taxpayer money but no problem having exorbitant contracts for athletic directors and coaches with that same money?

college is great for the NFL because they dont have to pay for all this talent but it also means there's rules about eligibility etc. that prevents guys progressing when they're ready - some guys age out and never get good enough and some are ready before they become eligible

some sort of academy system would solve that but the funding then would have to come from somewhere and it could screw up the draft system so it's impossible to really do anything like that without monumentally restructuring american sports

Never said I liked the contracts for the AD's and coaches which mainly you are just talking about the head coach but still for both it's yearly jobs where the AD still has other sports and curriculum to deal with and the coach has recruiting and then coaching over a hundred kids. Lot more resposibility than playing ball. I understand the NCAA being a cash cow but these kids are being granted with a lot more oppurtunities cuz of their athletic gifts than an average kid that doesn't have that talent.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean it should be restructured - too many games that are completely pointless - talent differences between the top 6 or 7 programs and everyone else is devastatingly large - the competitive element is ridiculous

but with the way college football currently exists and the organisations that control it - that's completely unfeasible

This is why I want a salary cap of sorts by sports.
Also severe punishments inappropriate booster involvement

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Never said I liked the contracts for the AD's and coaches which mainly you are just talking about the head coach but still for both it's yearly jobs where the AD still has other sports and curriculum to deal with and the coach has recruiting and then coaching over a hundred kids. Lot more resposibility than playing ball. I understand the NCAA being a cash cow but these kids are being granted with a lot more oppurtunities cuz of their athletic gifts than an average kid that doesn't have that talent.

cool - they're also asked to play football and train like it's a job - scholarship is about them coming there to play sports - but being asked to train like a pro should mean they get compensated for that aspect also

NIL is a roundabout way of getting some of these kids some money - but every single player on all those teams should be paid regardless of scholarship - im not suggesting they need to be paid millions of dollars, but they should be paid for their labour and college football is 100% labour

it's not dissimilar to social media influencers trying to pay people in "exposure"

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I understand where your coming from but If you don’t mind me asking how old are you and did you play college sports?

I think a certain group of folks maintains this mindset. I used to think like that but than i realized it was coming from my own jealousy. I played college lacrosse at Penn state , and I all i got was a degree and some concussions for my trouble. Not that I was expecting much as a lacrosse player , but I’m sure I could’ve worked something.

I love the idea of contacts and a salary cap by sport to even the playing field

I'm 55 and no. I just wasn't a sports guy until later in life. To cut a long story short I lost 20 bucks to my buddy's cousin in the Redskin/Dolphin SB in 83 and that was a lot of money to me at the time lol and I'm like come on Dan the Man and the Marks Bros. They got this but I learned the great intricacies of the West Coast offense. It was killing me but then I took a greater interest in sports especially with the Orioles winning later that year. I only played baseball for a few years and 1 yr of peewee football. Really I just hated the practices which was the reason I didn't continue.

How would you pay the Players?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
cool - they're also asked to play football and train like it's a job - scholarship is about them coming there to play sports - but being asked to train like a pro should mean they get compensated for that aspect also

NIL is a roundabout way of getting some of these kids some money - but every single player on all those teams should be paid regardless of scholarship - im not suggesting they need to be paid millions of dollars, but they should be paid for their labour and college football is 100% labour

it's not dissimilar to social media influencers trying to pay people in "exposure"

A lot of them also play for the love of the game. Athletic scholarships or not. A free education is nothing to sneeze at when it can lead to a promising carrer whether you play in the NFL or not. Are we gonna say swimmers, lacrosse players and fencers should get paid too? All sports is labor but also competition that people want to be involved in thru choice.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm 55 and no. I just wasn't a sports guy until later in life. To cut a long story short I lost 20 bucks to my buddy's cousin in the Redskin/Dolphin SB in 83 and that was a lot of money to me at the time lol and I'm like come on Dan the Man and the Marks Bros. They got this but I learned the great intricacies of the West Coast offense. It was killing me but then I took a greater interest in sports especially with the Orioles winning later that year. I only played baseball for a few years and 1 yr of peewee football. Really I just hated the practices which was the reason I didn't continue.

How would you pay the Players?

Man much smarter folks than I would have to figure that out but I was assume a contract system similar to the current scholar ship system. For us, we played some nationally televised games on ESPN which the school got all the revenue for. So maybe a 3 year contact guaranteeing:
Room, classes, books, car, % of revune for televised games, % of dollars for any endorsements agreed upon by the school, and 50/50 split of any merchandise based off the athletes likeness.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
A lot of them also play for the love of the game. Athletic scholarships or not. A free education is nothing to sneeze at when it can lead to a promising carrer whether you play in the NFL or not. Are we gonna say swimmers, lacrosse players and fencers should get paid too? All sports is labor but also competition that people want to be involved in thru choice.

i mean yes some will do it for the love of the sport but don't be naive - for the vast majority, this is an attempt to go pro and the college education is a bonus on top (if it wasnt then guys wouldnt declare for the draft as juniors)

and yes the swimmers/lacrosse players and anyone else involved in any form of elite sport (i.e. sport where you're expected to train and compete and travel cross-country year-round) should be compensated...

if all you're being asked to do is maybe 1 afternoon training and 1 day competing a week then that's social
if you're being asked to go to the gym, train multiple times a week (and sometimes multiple times a day), attend strategy/review/film sessions, compete regularly, train in the offseason and frequently travel for competition then yes it doesnt matter what your sport is... you should be compensated for your time