• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Will the Defense rise to form?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Over the last couple of years, our defense though effective at times has not looked like a top defense. I refrain from comparing our defenses over the years to a Lewis and Reed led defense because that is not a good indicator as to whether or not you have a good defense. Those 2 are HOFers who had an impact beyond X's and O's.

No, I am only talking about a top 6-8 defense that will give any offense problems. Considering all the players we drafted for the defense, what do you expect this year to see? Pees has been salivating since the draft, will a strong showing change your opinion on him?

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I think Pees has been given all of the tools. I don't think he'll have any excuses this year, aside from possible unexpected injuries. If the Ravens can develop a solid, consistent pass rush, our secondary will be top 5. The defense is pretty loaded.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can we argue this is as loaded as it has been in the last 7 years? Granted we need at least a year to see what all these rookies can do.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes, especially in the secondary which is a luxury we never had. We have done well in recent memory on the defensive side of the ball bc of Jimmy Smith. There is no way around that fact, even when we could not pressure the QB you could count on him. When he goes down however is when everything goes downhill and we get exposed. Over the last few years it's been the same issue there.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Our defense was very good when Jimmy Smith was playing. As a matter of fact we were top 3 before Jimmy was injured toward the end of the year. Once he was injured we finished ranked 7th. That being said, we just seemed to give up too much at the end of games and have had too many nail biters the psst couple of years due to not having much of a pass rush and not having a good secondary.

That is going to change this year. It looks as though with the additions of Brandon Carr and Tony Jefferson and resigning Webb, plus the drafting of Marlon Humphrey gives us not only depth, but youth opposite Jimmy Smith. If Jimmy goes down we still can use Webb in the slot and Young on the outside or have Humphrey slide into the outside starting role, whichever Pees feels works best for our defense.

The drafting of Tyus Bowser gives us an OLB that is athletic and can cover extremely well. Not only that, he has the athletic traits to be a damn good Edge. Best part is Suggs will be teaching him. Add in Tim Williams and Judon and that not only gives a pass rush. The pass rush is insurance for our secondary free agent signings as well, because a good pass rush only improves a secondary.

Go Ravens!

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Our defense was very good when Jimmy Smith was playing. As a matter of fact we were top 3 before Jimmy was injured toward the end of the year. Once he was injured we finished ranked 7th. That being said, we just seemed to give up too much at the end of games and have had too many nail biters the psst couple of years due to not having much of a pass rush and not having a good secondary.

That is going to change this year. It looks as though with the additions of Brandon Carr and Tony Jefferson and resigning Webb, plus the drafting of Marlon Humphrey gives us not only depth, but youth opposite Jimmy Smith. If Jimmy goes down we still can use Webb in the slot and Young on the outside or have Humphrey slide into the outside starting role, whichever Pees feels works best for our defense.

The drafting of Tyus Bowser gives us an OLB that is athletic and can cover extremely well. Not only that, he has the athletic traits to be a damn good Edge. Best part is Suggs will be teaching him. Add in Tim Williams and Judon and that not only gives a pass rush. The pass rush is insurance for our secondary free agent signings as well, because a good pass rush only improves a secondary.

Go Ravens!

Yeah I mean we had a top defense last year, but as you said, gave up too many plays late in games. Mostly due to a lack of pass rush and depth. Now, we should have both.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we are going to be legit. I hated the Marlon pick at first, especially after seeing how bad he is down the field. But short passes were the only aspect we really had trouble against last year. Imagine once he gets going, he can be a shut down to all inside slants and screen passes. We have so many young rushers, people are forgetting Bronson who I think will get 5-6 sacks. With this young defense we won't tire in games. Completely realistically we might not be #1 in stats, but I think this will be the best unit.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am looking forward to this season more than I have the last 3 going into it

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I am looking forward to this season more than I have the last 3 going into it

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how these last two draft classes do this season, along with Perriman and Maxx from the 2015 draft class.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
While I believe we need a solid possession guy at WR, I'm not too worried about that position. I mean if we drafted someone, unless they were top of the line, they would probably be on the same level as Chris Moore and Perriman heading into their second years. I believe those two will makes strides and we'll add a possession guy and all will be well.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wrote something similarly somewhere online ( while searching for a new home lol).

But it's been a weird time for the Ravens defensively speaking. Every year the defense finishes with some surprisingly high ranks in various defensive categories but watching the games they certainly don't look dominate.

Even a couple years ago when the defensive had 49 sacks with Doom, Suggs & McPhee leading the way, it didn't feel like we had a sack machine that could get to a QB and end a game for us. Of course that ended up being the same year the team signed Melvin and others of the street to play.

But it's always felt similar to the defense with Mattison, finished ranked well but wasn't as feared or vaunted.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, the biggest issue for the defense that remains unsolved has been blowing 4th quarter leads and also allowing end of half scores.

This has been an issue for years now, it drives me insane when the team is in control of a game and the defense had been solid for the most part then they allow several big plays via and score before halftime.

Guys need to finish plays, and be able to make that game changing play such as a sack, forced fumble, int, tipped pass whatever.

Instantly thought of that buffalo game, when the team scored a TD goes up 10-0 at this point they are dominanting them defensively. The next drive give up several quick passes, the a blown sack turns into a long completion sets up a TD before halftime.

And that game became a typical game where Momentum flipped and what could have been a blowout became a close slugfest.

I hope all these new players can gel together as unit, and give us a suffocating defense.

Hopefully the offense can be complementary, meaning not have so many 3 and outs, sustain some drives and score some points early to allow the defense more liberties with pass rush schemes.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
For me, the biggest issue for the defense that remains unsolved has been blowing 4th quarter leads and also allowing end of half scores.

This has been an issue for years now, it drives me insane when the team is in control of a game and the defense had been solid for the most part then they allow several big plays via and score before halftime.

Guys need to finish plays, and be able to make that game changing play such as a sack, forced fumble, int, tipped pass whatever.

Instantly thought of that buffalo game, when the team scored a TD goes up 10-0 at this point they are dominanting them defensively. The next drive give up several quick passes, the a blown sack turns into a long completion sets up a TD before halftime.

And that game became a typical game where Momentum flipped and what could have been a blowout became a close slugfest.

I hope all these new players can gel together as unit, and give us a suffocating defense.

Hopefully the offense can be complementary, meaning not have so many 3 and outs, sustain some drives and score some points early to allow the defense more liberties with pass rush schemes.

I think closing out games is on everyone's mind. Because you know as soon as we have a game where we're up 4 points or something in the 4th and the opposing team gets the final possession, we'll all be groaning. Lol But I feel a lot better about the secondary this year. The defense as a whole really. A pass rush will greatly improve that secondary.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
There's no doubt going to be numerous situations like that this season unless the offense can pull a rabbit out of a hat. There's only so much one side of the ball can do if they don't get the assistance.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Pees needs to keep it simple for the young guys.
Big Worm and Kaufusi rotation should be fun to watch.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am so pumped up about our defense! I can see it returning to our DEFENSIVE GLORY DAYS! Now, I just hope that they can all gel together quickly and get on the same page and mindset to be great and to close out games that we are winning and that our offense will FINALLY produce TD's on a regular basis oppose to nearly always settling for FG's .

Last edited:

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I am so pumped up about our defense! I can see it returning to our DEFENSIVE GLORY DAYS! Now, I just hope that they can all gel together quickly and get on the same page and mindset to be great and to close out games that we are winning and that our offense will FINALLY produce TD's on a regular basis oppose to nearly always settling for FG's .

I just hope the rookies are given the time and patience required to help the defense to get back to that level again.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope the rookies are given the time and patience required to help the defense to get back to that level again.

Same here!

Our coaching staff has to be better at "developing" these guys to be successful NOW...not later in a few years!

Last edited: