• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Will the Defense rise to form?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think closing out games is on everyone's mind. Because you know as soon as we have a game where we're up 4 points or something in the 4th and the opposing team gets the final possession, we'll all be groaning. Lol But I feel a lot better about the secondary this year. The defense as a whole really. A pass rush will greatly improve that secondary.
Not only should the secondary be much improved, but the youth and speed in our pass rush should provide some insurance.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I certainly hope so, but the rookies certainly did pretty well last year and I do consider a Perriman pretty much a rookie last season. He was really starting to come on towards the end of the year. Think he takes a big step this year.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack thread since we are talking d right now

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The defense excites me. The offense not so much, but you know what the defense is going to bring and that's fire.

RavensDFan

Veteran
I am so pumped up about our defense! I can see it returning to our DEFENSIVE GLORY DAYS! Now, I just hope that they can all gel together quickly and get on the same page and mindset to be great and to close out games that we are winning and that our offense will FINALLY produce TD's on a regular basis oppose to nearly always settling for FG's .

We have the tools, now we need Pees to buy in. It wasn't only lack of depth that led to late game collapses but Pees decisions to go conservative way too early. We need him to get creative and take the risks with the new talent. Otherwise, it will only be more of the same.

I'm also concerned about the lack of attention to the side of the ball that was the weakest last season and lost the most during the off season. If the offense can't sustain drives, then the defense will just not have the oomph necessary late in games, no matter the talent level.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
Why hasn't anyone signed Steven Taylor? I think he can compete even if he's undersized.
He made more plays for Houston than Tyus Bowser.

K-Dog

MVP
I think we are going to have a few years of very stout defense. Even with Sizzle in his twilight years.
Our defense is mostly young.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
our defense, for the next 3 years or so, should be up there with the denver SB defense. we have a shutdown corner, a good vet corner, an excellent and maybe best in the league slot corner, a top 3 safety, another top 10 safety, and a veteran piece of depth who is top half of the league at either safety spot and serviceable at corner. we have an excellent 3 down edge veteran in suggs, an elite DL rotation, a top 5 ILB, a very promising 2nd year edge defender who played smart, strong and refined last year, and we have a hardnosed playmaking stellar athlete rookie cb, a pass rushing machine in tim williams, and an athletic wild card roving LB and potential edge rusher in bowser. everyone except for weddle, suggs, and jimmy smith is young and should be here for the long haul.

this unit should be together for the foreseeable future, they should gel together and become something very, very special. i think we have the best unit in the league for the next few years with only room to improve.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What I want to see from this defense is a focus on generating turnovers. I'm not sure we have the guys who can make that a reality, outside of Tavon and Mosely, but I still want it to be a focal point for the defense this year.
Believe Weddle had four pics last season, but I agree

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I would have preferred Sidney Jones to Bowser. I'm not crazy about Bowser pick. Shoulda went offense. But if we are going defense let's get a cornerback with ball skills that feels entitled.

What I want to see from this defense is a focus on generating turnovers. I'm not sure we have the guys who can make that a reality, outside of Tavon and Mosely, but I still want it to be a focal point for the defense this year.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would have preferred Sidney Jones to Bowser. I'm not crazy about Bowser pick. Shoulda went offense. But if we are going defense let's get a cornerback with ball skills that feels entitled.

Jones won't be good this season. Torn Achilles for a cornerback needs a year to recover at least. He might not be the same, corners rely on their agility and thrust more than any other position.

i'd have hated the pick. Torn Achillies for a corner is worse than an ACL tear.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Jones won't be good this season. Torn Achilles for a cornerback needs a year to recover at least. He might not be the same, corners rely on their agility and thrust more than any other position.

Damn I thought it was an acl

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Not only that, he will miss all of training camp.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
our defense, for the next 3 years or so, should be up there with the denver SB defense. we have a shutdown corner, a good vet corner, an excellent and maybe best in the league slot corner, a top 3 safety, another top 10 safety, and a veteran piece of depth who is top half of the league at either safety spot and serviceable at corner. we have an excellent 3 down edge veteran in suggs, an elite DL rotation, a top 5 ILB, a very promising 2nd year edge defender who played smart, strong and refined last year, and we have a hardnosed playmaking stellar athlete rookie cb, a pass rushing machine in tim williams, and an athletic wild card roving LB and potential edge rusher in bowser. everyone except for weddle, suggs, and jimmy smith is young and should be here for the long haul.

this unit should be together for the foreseeable future, they should gel together and become something very, very special. i think we have the best unit in the league for the next few years with only room to improve.

not only this but next year's draft looks to have more offensive talent than this one comparatively and we will have more cap space next year than we had this year - our defense is looking in a promising position, as is our salary cap, we have our left tackle of the future and we still have a franchise qb - we have potential long term solutions at all of the cornerstone positions - even if we arent good this year we are set up to have a 3-4 year superbowl window at least as long as we draft well next year...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not only this but next year's draft looks to have more offensive talent than this one comparatively and we will have more cap space next year than we had this year - our defense is looking in a promising position, as is our salary cap, we have our left tackle of the future and we still have a franchise qb - we have potential long term solutions at all of the cornerstone positions - even if we arent good this year we are set up to have a 3-4 year superbowl window at least as long as we draft well next year...
If we make smart decisions on hiring/retaining coaches and get our OL together in a hurry then we are immediately in contention, from there we need to get a workhorse back and a receiver, but I think those are luxuries that we don't need to make a priority. Right now the OL will make the biggest difference on this team

Tiz

Practice Squad
I just don't trust jimmy smith to be healthy all year long. I hope he survives and I do think we have depth just in case he doesnt.

Three eyed Raven

Practice Squad
The talent and depth is there, but we need a strong O-line, running game and a dependable possession reciever (Perhaps Q) to realistically have a shot at another championship

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If we make smart decisions on hiring/retaining coaches and get our OL together in a hurry then we are immediately in contention, from there we need to get a workhorse back and a receiver, but I think those are luxuries that we don't need to make a priority. Right now the OL will make the biggest difference on this team

A receiver is a big big priority. However I agree that oline is the biggest priority. And we ignored it until mid to late rounds. We should have drafted Lamp or Robinson. If Joe struggles even worse it will be a result of a weak line moreso than wr.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A receiver is a big big priority. However I agree that oline is the biggest priority. And we ignored it until mid to late rounds. We should have drafted Lamp or Robinson. If Joe struggles even worse it will be a result of a weak line moreso than wr.
Center is the most important hole on the OL and I didn't see any center prospects at 16 lol I would've liked lamp but I'm just as happy with Humphrey and positional wise I think he helps better short and long term.

And I just don't see receiver as a huge deal. It's been repeatedly proven to be an overrated position. And I actually think the biggest thing hurting our passing game is joes reliance on Pitta. I swear out passing game would look so much better without him on the field. It's a shame that our veteran qb has a habit of leaning so hard on him, but if removing Pitta solves the problem then do it! I really think that even if we had a stud receiver joe would still look pittas way far too often and the receivers would still look bad.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can figure out a way not to leak points and yards in the 4th quarter with the new defense, we'll be a top 5 defense without a doubt. I think last year was a depth issue and the players tiring out toward the end of games. This year, with the renewed depth chart especially in the secondary and with the hope that Jimmy will play healthy most of the season, I think our 4th quarter defense should improve substantially and if it does, absolutely we'll be a top defense in this league. I don't buy much into the famed Pees' bend but don't break philosophy that has been so maligned.