• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Will the Defense rise to form?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Center is the most important hole on the OL and I didn't see any center prospects at 16 lol I would've liked lamp but I'm just as happy with Humphrey and positional wise I think he helps better short and long term.

And I just don't see receiver as a huge deal. It's been repeatedly proven to be an overrated position. And I actually think the biggest thing hurting our passing game is joes reliance on Pitta. I swear out passing game would look so much better without him on the field. It's a shame that our veteran qb has a habit of leaning so hard on him, but if removing Pitta solves the problem then do it! I really think that even if we had a stud receiver joe would still look pittas way far too often and the receivers would still look bad.
outside of the pats, all the best wr corps in the league have one dominant pseudo number 1 type receiver (in fact you could argue gronk/edelman are that guy for the pats anyway)
the number 1 receiver opens up holes for the other receivers on the roster who are able to consistently beat 1v1s (or at least one of them does each snap even if the number 2 doesnt the number 3 might) - so adding a wr just for depth's sake doesnt necessarily help us at this point - if corey davis or mike williams had been available at 16 then they may well have been a significant addition for the offense but adding a 3rd round wr (even though i liked guys like chris godwin) may not have impacted the offense as much as we hope so i agree that it's a little overrated just having depth pieces - what we really need is perriman (or someone else) to elevate and become a matchup nightmare which would make the rest of the receiving corps much better because they have more space to work in - arguably there werent that many guys who would change our offense after round 2

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
outside of the pats, all the best wr corps in the league have one dominant pseudo number 1 type receiver (in fact you could argue gronk/edelman are that guy for the pats anyway)
the number 1 receiver opens up holes for the other receivers on the roster who are able to consistently beat 1v1s (or at least one of them does each snap even if the number 2 doesnt the number 3 might) - so adding a wr just for depth's sake doesnt necessarily help us at this point - if corey davis or mike williams had been available at 16 then they may well have been a significant addition for the offense but adding a 3rd round wr (even though i liked guys like chris godwin) may not have impacted the offense as much as we hope so i agree that it's a little overrated just having depth pieces - what we really need is perriman (or someone else) to elevate and become a matchup nightmare which would make the rest of the receiving corps much better because they have more space to work in - arguably there werent that many guys who would change our offense after round 2
I feel flacco has always been at his best when he spreads the ball around. Now don't get me wrong I would've leaped on davis or williams at 16, but he's talking WRs and I simply don't see one and aside from Ford in 6th I haven't seen one that is even close to reasonable.

So while that market is hot, I like our approach at shopping in the cooler market. And I still maintain that superstar WRs are overrated, because the best groups may have one superstar, but I look at big wins in big games, and elite wr corps simply don't seem to have that big an impact on winning bignimporant games. NE, Denver, Seattle, the ravens, the giants, the saints, I think santonio holmes was the closest thing to a superstar wr with a super bowl win in the past decade because he was nothing short of incredible that year. Everyone else had a solid and well rounded wr corps, look at Atlanta with Julio, they thought "well Julio and Ryan got us here, let's put it in their hands to close it" and that thinking blew the SB for them.

The pattern of teams without a superstar wr winning the super bowl is astounding.
[doublepost=1494346048,1494345767][/doublepost]And don't get me wrong, I have no qualms with obtaining a star wr, just not at the expense of ignoring other needs or overinvesting in a wr. We would be much better off with defense and a run game and OL

Reactions: Tiz

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel flacco has always been at his best when he spreads the ball around. Now don't get me wrong I would've leaped on davis or williams at 16, but he's talking WRs and I simply don't see one and aside from Ford in 6th I haven't seen one that is even close to reasonable.

So while that market is hot, I like our approach at shopping in the cooler market. And I still maintain that superstar WRs are overrated, because the best groups may have one superstar, but I look at big wins in big games, and elite wr corps simply don't seem to have that big an impact on winning bignimporant games. NE, Denver, Seattle, the ravens, the giants, the saints, I think santonio holmes was the closest thing to a superstar wr with a super bowl win in the past decade because he was nothing short of incredible that year. Everyone else had a solid and well rounded wr corps, look at Atlanta with Julio, they thought "well Julio and Ryan got us here, let's put it in their hands to close it" and that thinking blew the SB for them.

The pattern of teams without a superstar wr winning the super bowl is astounding.
[doublepost=1494346048,1494345767][/doublepost]And don't get me wrong, I have no qualms with obtaining a star wr, just not at the expense of ignoring other needs or overinvesting in a wr. We would be much better off with defense and a run game and OL

oh dont get me wrong i agree with that completely but i was talking about the impact on our own corps of adding #2/3 receiver type veterans vs adding potential rookie number 1s vs hoping the guys on the roster prove themselves - if perriman and moore and camp dont kick on then adding a middling vet isnt going to change much

so while i would have loved a guy like juju coming in to the team im not sure im that fussed about bringing boldin back in and i definitely dont want victor cruz here...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
A run game has always been the true ally of Flacco's....the better we run, the farther he can throw the ball

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
oh dont get me wrong i agree with that completely but i was talking about the impact on our own corps of adding #2/3 receiver type veterans vs adding potential rookie number 1s vs hoping the guys on the roster prove themselves - if perriman and moore and camp dont kick on then adding a middling vet isnt going to change much

so while i would have loved a guy like juju coming in to the team im not sure im that fussed about bringing boldin back in and i definitely dont want victor cruz here...
I would've been ecstatic with one of the top 2, and I think Robert woods would've fit nicely here as a reliable target to complement the burners. But other than that I'm ok with letting perriman take over, I think he's gonna seriously break out and I hope like hell its true. If he doesn't break out this year then I think we may have whiffed on that pick, but i think he could be the #1 we want.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Health. Health is the issue. I might be one of the minority that thinks if Jimmy never gets injured last year, i think we could of limped into the playoffs, that being said we wouldnt of been able to move forward, imo. Now, if Suggs can stay healthy and just be himself, i dont mean DPOY Suggs either, and slowly groom Twill and Bowser, having them come off the bench with fresh legs a lot could be huge. Then add in the Humphrey pick, Carr and Jefferson addition, and Weddle continues to play well, I really think we can hold our own against anyone on that side of the ball.

The thing im interested in seeing is how this unit plays as one. Sometimes you dont need the most dominant player at a position, just a bunch of players that mesh very well and i think with the way the defensive front and the secondary are built, this could be a scary defense. Now just get a run game and a veteran WR, i think we are pretty set as a contender.

Reactions: Tiz

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we make smart decisions on hiring/retaining coaches and get our OL together in a hurry then we are immediately in contention, from there we need to get a workhorse back and a receiver, but I think those are luxuries that we don't need to make a priority. Right now the OL will make the biggest difference on this team
In regards to a workhorse back. I'm not so sure Dixon can't be that guy, but if he's not, I agree, it wouldn't be a priority.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In regards to a workhorse back. I'm not so sure Dixon can't be that guy, but if he's not, I agree, it wouldn't be a priority.
I also think that IF he's healthy, which is a big if for him, then he absolutely could and should end up the workhorse back.

But that health is a big issue

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I also think that IF he's healthy, which is a big if for him, then he absolutely could and should end up the workhorse back.

But that health is a big issue
What kind of injury history does he have? One thing watching his tape thats easy to see, he does not go down easy, at all.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
What kind of injury history does he have? One thing watching his tape thats easy to see, he does not go down easy, at all.

Yes he is a stronger than his shiftiness and explosion suggests. I think he squats like 600 lbs or more. When I read it he squatted more than 3/4of lineman

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Pees needs to keep it simple for the young guys.
Big Worm and Kaufusi rotation should be fun to watch.

Don't forget Henry. If he can transition from athlete to football player he will be a menacing interior rusher. Has lot to learn and he has to be a willing student. But athletically he is kawaan short Sheldon Richardson.
[doublepost=1494808536,1494807966][/doublepost]
Yes, but it's about a lot more than strength.

That's y I said stronger than shiftiness and explosion suggests. His best asset is his shiftiness and cutback and go skills. And his receiving skills. However he is far stronger than a tropical good scar back. Thus no surprise he breaks far more tackles than you would guess. Which is what makes him so unique and potentially one of the best in the league. He could be better than Elliott if he can avoid the injury bug.
[doublepost=1494809040][/doublepost]

Hey dude y can't u accept PM's

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Don't forget Henry. If he can transition from athlete to football player he will be a menacing interior rusher. Has lot to learn and he has to be a willing student. But athletically he is kawaan short Sheldon Richardson.
[doublepost=1494808536,1494807966][/doublepost]

That's y I said stronger than shiftiness and explosion suggests. His best asset is his shiftiness and cutback and go skills. And his receiving skills. However he is far stronger than a tropical good scar back. Thus no surprise he breaks far more tackles than you would guess. Which is what makes him so unique and potentially one of the best in the league. He could be better than Elliott if he can avoid the injury bug.

come on man, you make some good points but then you say stuff like that. Like when you would say Camp could be the best slot wr in the NFL. I guess anyone technically could be....

Do you think he is our future RB? A suspension and an injury already hinders his development. i just read his entire break down on nflbreakdown.com and he does seem to have a lot potential. But my thing with college RBs, they all look good in college, so many show amazing talent and you never hear about them.
[doublepost=1494809769][/doublepost]
Hey dude y can't u accept PM's
I dont know how to change it

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
come on man, you make some good points but then you say stuff like that. Like when you would say Camp could be the best slot wr in the NFL. I guess anyone technically could be....

Do you think he is our future RB? A suspension and an injury already hinders his development. i just read his entire break down on nflbreakdown.com and he does seem to have a lot potential. But my thing with college RBs, they all look good in college, so many show amazing talent and you never hear about them.

Dixon broke tackles in NFL like he did in college. Actually man he is one of those rare players that looks better in the NFL than college. Looks fast explosive shifty and breaks tackles. As for Henry he is a great athlete for DT penetrator. but he seems clueless. He has no idea what to do with his hands he can't improvise a rush plan on the fly like the good ones do. I don't think Henry has a single rush move. Athletically he is everything you want in an interior penetrator. But no moves and no rush plan. He doesn't seem to play with any aggression, anger and passion. Maybe he got better and got Jernigan traded but I don't think he learned everything quite that fast. Because he looks clueless.

Campanaro could be as good as any slot receiver. Unfortunately he will probably never be able to take a hit.
[doublepost=1494810540,1494809877][/doublepost]
Same here!

Our coaching staff has to be better at "developing" these guys to be successful NOW...not later in a few years!

Agree. It's about coaching and giving them opportunity.
[doublepost=1494824620][/doublepost]
Health. Health is the issue. I might be one of the minority that thinks if Jimmy never gets injured last year, i think we could of limped into the playoffs, that being said we wouldnt of been able to move forward, imo. Now, if Suggs can stay healthy and just be himself, i dont mean DPOY Suggs either, and slowly groom Twill and Bowser, having them come off the bench with fresh legs a lot could be huge. Then add in the Humphrey pick, Carr and Jefferson addition, and Weddle continues to play well, I really think we can hold our own against anyone on that side of the ball.

The thing im interested in seeing is how this unit plays as one. Sometimes you dont need the most dominant player at a position, just a bunch of players that mesh very well and i think with the way the defensive front and the secondary are built, this could be a scary defense. Now just get a run game and a veteran WR, i think we are pretty set as a contender.

To turn on messages
Click on profile
Click conversations
Click to allow messages and conversations

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
i really don't like young's situation. He deserves to be on the field for the majority but with carr and hump there now idk. i don't like a lot of rotating DBs through out games just cause WRs scheme set ups. Games are long so i hope he still makes an impact with his maybe limited play time.
[doublepost=1494830205,1494830108][/doublepost]or maybe rotating can be a good thing too.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
i really don't like young's situation. He deserves to be on the field for the majority but with carr and hump there now idk. i don't like a lot of rotating DBs through out games just cause WRs scheme set ups. Games are long so i hope he still makes an impact with his maybe limited play time.
[doublepost=1494830205,1494830108][/doublepost]or maybe rotating can be a good thing too.

If anything young gets more play time. Young is awesome. He can do things downfield in coverage that Carr and Humph can't. His only limiting factor is his size. If he were Humphs size he would be perennial allpro

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Considering he was a rookie last year and played as well as he did, i think it will be a good thing with a veteran like Carr around him. I dont see him losing too many snaps

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i cant remember specifically, but he had a lot of nagging injuries, i wanna say he had multiple ankle injuries his final year and leading up to the draft, and i also recall hearing about nagging hamstrings, and then he had his knee this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If anything young gets more play time. Young is awesome. He can do things downfield in coverage that Carr and Humph can't. His only limiting factor is his size. If he were Humphs size he would be perennial allpro
Agree. He as the potential to be the top slot cb in the NFL with thr ability to play boundary corner at a high level.