• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Clutch Time. Potential Breakout Players?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's become a habit and although I have no idea why they do that the fact of the matter is they seem very focused to do so. I learned that during the Texans game when he was in on a 2nd and 8, but then after a false start it becomes 2nd and 13 so they remove him. I'll just shrug it off and wait for next year at this point.
This. Another typical rookie story for the ravens. (Player) does one thing extremely well but lacks in other areas, so we force him to play a role that uses those other areas, hopefully making him a more well rounded player while his talents get wasted in the meantime

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
This. Another typical rookie story for the ravens. (Player) does one thing extremely well but lacks in other areas, so we force him to play a role that uses those other areas, hopefully making him a more well rounded player while his talents get wasted in the meantime
That's not a bad plan if you are strong in the areas where rookie was most likely to contribute. In this case we could have definitely used him more, considering that our pass rush (apart from Suggs and just occasionally Juddon) is just meh.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's not a bad plan if you are strong in the areas where rookie was most likely to contribute. In this case we could have definitely used him more, considering that our pass rush (apart from Suggs and just occasionally Juddon) is just meh.
zacklee. its stupid. and it happens every goddamn time we get a uber talented yet one dimensional rookie.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
They seem to think they can turn every raw rookie into adalius thomas.
adalius thomas was a freak of nature. Way more freaky than bowser.

Heck he was more freaky than myles garrett on a purely athletic standpoint.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Moore could. He has to be number 3 on the depth chart. I like how he plays, 100 percent effort. If he catches the ball he will get tragets

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joe Flacco is looking like he's breaking out.

I would go with Marlon on defense since we really need you man.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
late season in the home stretch to make the playoffs, with a team full of young unprovens. Who do you have as a potential breakout player? Guys who have either been sporadically good turning into gamewreckers, or guys who have been barely there but you think can show up and start making a difference.

Mine is Chris Moore. He looks like he's putting it together. He has looked dangerous as a kick returner and I fully expect him to break one before seasons end, I just feel it. And he's been catching on as a receiver as well, he's getting separation, he's getting targeted sparingly but the difference now is he is catching the ball, the guy gets open and can break long ones if he can hold onto the ball, if he's shaken off the nerves and can catch now then I think he's gonna make a name for himself, this of course is if flacco stays on his a game.

My defensive guy is willie Henry, I think he's due to become a household name. The guy has been getting penetration, and he just seems to make plays, he's got a nose for the ball as evidenced by his fumble recovery and athletic return. If the coaching staff uses him often, I could see him racking up 2-3 sacks to close out the year and maybe even knock the ball loose a few times. We've found ourselves a great steal at 3T with this guy. Him, bwill, and pierce and a 3 man run stuffing front is absurd, and keeping him on the interior on passing downs will be a thing of beauty, we often field 1 down lineman in pass rush sets and I like him best for that role.
For me it is three players that I believe are primed to be stars down the stretch. Willie Henry and Maurice Canady on defense and Alex Collins on offense.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll jump into the "breakout" mix for the hell of it. Marlon Humphrey gets my vote. I think he steps up big time the remainder of this season in Jimmy's absence. Sometimes, one man has to step away (whatever the reason) so that another man can rise. With Jimmy being out of the way (heal up Jimmy), Marlon can get more "in game" experience and rise to the challenge.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm seeing Humphrey mentioned a lot, but man I just don't feel as highly as you all do, not right now anyway. I think he's gonna become a premiere corner and be a big household name, but I don't think he's ready for full time yet. He's gonna be tested a lot and he will fail a lot of those tests. They're gonna line martavis Bryant over him as often as possible and toss up jump balls, they have him on film and now they know. Meanwhile Antonio brown is the anti-Carr, he's gonna roast the dogshit out of Carr.

And then it only gets worse for Humphrey having to face josh Gordon and aj green, if he doesn't show a massive leap vs the steelers then I expect him to have a disastrous 4 games where he makes the occasional Wow play.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm seeing Humphrey mentioned a lot, but man I just don't feel as highly as you all do, not right now anyway. I think he's gonna become a premiere corner and be a big household name, but I don't think he's ready for full time yet. He's gonna be tested a lot and he will fail a lot of those tests. They're gonna line martavis Bryant over him as often as possible and toss up jump balls, they have him on film and now they know. Meanwhile Antonio brown is the anti-Carr, he's gonna roast the dogshit out of Carr.

And then it only gets worse for Humphrey having to face josh Gordon and aj green, if he doesn't show a massive leap vs the steelers then I expect him to have a disastrous 4 games where he makes the occasional Wow play.

I don't know if it was nerves or what, but Marlon looked out of his element against the Lions. He needs to pull it together FAST and play with the same level of confidence that he showed in earlier games or we may be doomed.

My vote is for Tim Williams and I really hope that it happens. Our pass rush has been very inconsistent so if Tim can get it going then it would make our defense even more scary and would really help us get over the loss of Jimmy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't know if it was nerves or what, but Marlon looked out of his element against the Lions. He needs to pull it together FAST and play with the same level of confidence that he showed in earlier games or we may be doomed.

My vote is for Tim Williams and I really hope that it happens. Our pass rush has been very inconsistent so if Tim can get it going then it would make our defense even more scary and would really help us get over the loss of Jimmy.
I don't think it was nerves, I think that as of now, that's who he is. When jimmy was on the field and Humphrey only played sparingly, he was more likely to have help, less likely to be targeted, he was allowed to be a lot more physical, and we had more moving parts thus it was harder to scheme up a play to attack him specifically. When he comes in full time, he has less safety help, he's the cb2 on every snap and you can line your jumpball guy up on his side every time, if he's 1 on 1 you test him every time, if he has safety help you attack brandon Carr. As we can see when he doesn't have help he's giving up a play as of now, with help he's got a ton of talent and growing a wr out of whack with safety help gives him a chance to make a play.