• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Enlighten Me (Salary Cap)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
McCllenen does not play for Ravens :p

We could also add $2M cap savings by trading/cutting KC and Perriman.
YAS

We could make those two moves.

There's moves to be made to open up room. Given Ozzie's tendency to give backloaded contracts, the fact that after 2019 we are going to have a ton of room to work with given that the cap keeps increasing(thanks Ozzie for resetting the QB market), and the fact that we are about to (likely *knock on wood*) about to make the playoffs, we might be a prime destination. Likewise, recently Ozzie has been more willing to spend in FA.

I've been trying to tell y'all. Future looks damn good. Ozzie has this team moving in the right direction. Even if we don't meet Sami's unrealistic expectations of having a super dominant megaforce team.... After next offseason we might have one of the most balanced teams in the league. Offense needs to continue playing well though.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
not sure i can see us cutting maxx and buck just because they are cheap options with some value and mclellan maybe gets cut because of the 80/20 and the great way special teams have played this year without him

and i posit that we are gonna lose a chunk of that 20mill on jensen (and wallace?), tendering erfas (collins, skura, onwuasor, mayle, price, ortiz), maybe we resign watson and urban and camp + around 5 mill for all the rookies... that eats a surprising amount of cap all told
I doubt we keep people like Oritz, Mayle, and Price. Ricard is a damn good full back, TE is super overcrowded(despite Mayle being a good special teamer), and I think we are more likely to address CB depth to the draft. I see us cutting Maxx and Buck. Boyle is a good TE #2 and Watson is likely to come back for cheap. We'd save a good amount of cap room for a third stringer. Both are gone imho. RB is going to be overcrowded and I think picking one up in the middle rounds is very likely. Cutting Buck is something I could easily see. Albert is gone with the way special teams have played without him. I don't think Watson would be expensive at all and I think he is coming back. How much are Camp and Urban, who do not garner a lot of playing time, really going to go for?

Remember, Ozzie usually goes for the backloaded deal in the interest of saving money. We're gonna be a playoff team, with a damn good defense. We're going to be a marketable place to go. We did more with less room this offseason

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I doubt we keep people like Oritz, Mayle, and Price. Ricard is a damn good full back, TE is super overcrowded(despite Mayle being a good special teamer), and I think we are more likely to address CB depth to the draft. I see us cutting Maxx and Buck. Boyle is a good TE #2 and Watson is likely to come back for cheap. We'd save a good amount of cap room for a third stringer. Both are gone imho. RB is going to be overcrowded and I think picking one up in the middle rounds is very likely. Cutting Buck is something I could easily see. Albert is gone with the way special teams have played without him. I don't think Watson would be expensive at all and I think he is coming back. How much are Camp and Urban, who do not garner a lot of playing time, really going to go for?

Remember, Ozzie usually goes for the backloaded deal in the interest of saving money. We're gonna be a playoff team, with a damn good defense. We're going to be a marketable place to go. We did more with less room this offseason
We should keep Mayle. He's been pretty good on ST. We could/should be more creative with him in the red zone, too.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We should keep Mayle. He's been pretty good on ST. We could/should be more creative with him in the red zone, too.
But even then... There's a lot of fat we can trim on this roster. Mayle wouldn't be a big deal.

We have some needs this offseason. How I'd prioritize it

WR(times 2)
LG
TE
ILB #2
CB depth

..... Crazy thing is.. That's very doable this offseason if we make the moves.

We could honestly, just keep Wallace(who shouldn't be too expensive), draft a WR, LG, TE, and go out in FA to get another CB and ILB.

Very.. Very... Very... Doable.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
But even then... There's a lot of fat we can trim on this roster. Mayle wouldn't be a big deal.

WR(times 2)
LG
TE
ILB #2
CB depth

We could honestly, just keep Wallace(who shouldn't be too expensive), draft a WR, LG, TE, and go out in FA to get another CB and ILB.

And still no pass rush....

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

WR(times 2)
LG
TE
ILB #2
CB depth

Your missing S on the list....

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i find it hard to believe that given the price tags that ortiz, mayle, price, buck and maxx wont be at least retained for the offseason program

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
its a nice tool though - already demonstrates to me how great oz and the front office are coz ive just spent 30 minutes resigning/extending/cutting guys and at the end of it all im only 3mill under the cap which leaves no room for free agents lol - and yet this is more cap space than we normally have as a franchise to work with and we brought in 3/4 big free agent signings
Don’t forget rollover cap and the increase for 2018

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Your missing S on the list....
Not a major need. The safeties have been disappointing but not total liabilities. The minute we get three healthy corners again, If ever and they’re gonna be fine.
Or proper 5T end. Wormley?
Not gonna like. If the Jets do release Mo it’s a match made in heaven. That solves the interior rush problem.

Not worried about the edge tbh. We have talent there. Just needs to develop.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Maxx and Buck are still on roomie deals, plus having Buck as a 4th option isn’t pretty good, unless we get a s at back in the 5th that beats him out. I’m that case we could trade him. Maxx will be another year removed from his surgery and I think he should be given an opportunity to finish his contract.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not a major need. The safeties have been disappointing but not total liabilities. The minute we get three healthy corners again, If ever and they’re gonna be fine.

Not gonna like. If the Jets do release Mo it’s a match made in heaven. That solves the interior rush problem.

Omg. Landry/Robinson AND Mo in one offseason?! I’d die of happiness.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

The picture you are painting is much rosier than what reality appears to be.

Even with cap space we should be able to free up, what gives you impression we'd be able to sign Robinson/Landry/Wilkerson over quite a few teams that will have lot more room to do it? Considering we'll spend chunk of that on re-signings / tenders / rookies, situation gets dicier exponentially.
Safety is already an issue and Weddle will not get any stronger or faster next year.
I'm really worried about the pass rush / QB pressure - that exposes us on several levels and we haven't seen much from rookies to confidently say they'll be fine.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The picture you are painting is much rosier than what reality appears to be.

Even with cap space we should be able to free up, what gives you impression we'd be able to sign Robinson/Landry/Wilkerson over quite a few teams that will have lot more room to do it? Considering we'll spend chunk of that on re-signings / tenders / rookies, situation gets dicier exponentially.
Safety is already an issue and Weddle will not get any stronger or faster next year.
I'm really worried about the pass rush / QB pressure - that exposes us on several levels and we haven't seen much from rookies to confidently say they'll be fine.
Safety is not a major issue. Weddle's problem isn't an athletic decline either. His game was always predicated more around positioning. In fact he looks no different athletically than last season. We are so unlikely to address it in the offseason. And I have little doubt that Jefferson will bounce back after a dissapointing campaign.

As for that.
1. The WR market is going to be oversaturated. There is likely to be a WR who gets underpaid despite this. We don't need to land a Robinson or Landry, or Davante Adams like so many are suggesting(though Robinson is unlikely to be as expensive as some people anticipate). Hell, keeping Wallace would be a good move at this point and he shouldn't be too expensive.
2. Other WRs are likely to be in play. Someone in another thread said D. Thomas in Denver, or possibly Randall Cobb from Green Bay. We're gonna get someone.
3. Don't forget, when Ozzie gives out a big deal, it's almost always a backloaded one. We did a lot this offseason in FA with minimal cap room and still signed a few expensive players. If we are going to be in play for a Landy or a Davante Adams(doubtful for the second one), they'll likely get a nice payday, but one that's significantly backloaded.
4. Valid criticism of Dean Pees I agree with: We don't use the rookie pass rushers enough. Prefer to play ZDS. It's way too early to hit the panic button. I do agree that interior pressure is a problem that needs to be addressed somehow this offseason. But with regards to Bowser and Williams... No. They've barely gotten playing time(which is stupid) and have both flashed their traits that made them good prospects to begin with. With regards of the two of them, I have little doubt that they're going to be good players. The FA edge rush market is practically barren, and this is a horrible draft class for them. We are not taking them early anyway

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Fwiw, if you gave me the choice of getting Jarvis Landry, or taking back Mike Wallace and signing Mo from New York. I'd take the second option. We are more likely than not to acquire two WRs this offseason, one in the draft and one in FA... Wilkerson pushes the defense over the top and could turn it into an all time great unit (if at full health). I'd honestly rather repurpose our FA money to go get some more defensive players. Draft should be focused on offensive players.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fwiw, if you gave me the choice of getting Jarvis Landry, or taking back Mike Wallace and signing Mo from New York. I'd take the second option. We are more likely than not to acquire two WRs this offseason, one in the draft and one in FA... Wilkerson pushes the defense over the top and could turn it into an all time great unit (if at full health). I'd honestly rather repurpose our FA money to go get some more defensive players. Draft should be focused on offensive players.
Id rather get 2 good players than one thats gonna cost too much. Someone will overpay for landry. I think Wallace comes back on a cheap deal. Maclin might be nice enough to take a pay cut since hes getting free crabcakes