• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Enlighten Me (Salary Cap)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Mo might not get as big of a deal as previously anticipated. His production on the field has been... Somewhat lackluster. Hell of a player when on his A-game though. He might have to take one of those "one year prove it deals".Which is something we should pounce on.

It'd be a match made in heaven though.

Gee. It's like the Jernigan trade was a bad idea.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Mo might not get as big of a deal as previously anticipated. His production on the field has been... Somewhat lackluster. Hell of a player when on his A-game though. He might have to take one of those "one year prove it deals".Which is something we should pounce on.

We weren’t going to pay Jernigan, plus he’s the perfect fit in a wide 9

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ya its not like we got a cheaper player who is having a good year and we will have for 4 years instead of a 1 year rental, clearly a bad deal.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Ya its not like we got a cheaper player who is having a good year and we will have for 4 years instead of a 1 year rental, clearly a bad deal.
You mean Wormley.. The guy who's barely playing at all vs. a damn good interior pass rusher in Jernigan. Sure, he was inconsitent, but the defense misses him.

Wormley at best is going to be Lawrence Guy... It was a bad deal.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We weren’t going to pay Jernigan, plus he’s the perfect fit in a wide 9
Jernigan makes this defense better and would have helped massively in picking up the slack for Brandon Williams when he went down. He would have also been a better interior pass rusher than anyone we have on the squad right now. The trade was stupid. We basically traded a very good player(and yes. I know he's a better fit in the wide nine) for a guy who is going to be a role player at best. We got a minimal return for the dude at best.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You mean Wormley.. The guy who's barely playing at all vs. a damn good interior pass rusher in Jernigan. Sure, he was inconsitent, but the defense misses him.

Wormley at best is going to be Lawrence Guy... It was a bad deal.

I’m not sure I agree on Jernigan with hindsight - maybe the trade value feels cheap but he was never a consistent interior threat and had his role virtually completely taken over by Michael pierce down the stretch - we also mostly play 1 down lineman on obvious passing downs which is where we “miss” Jernigan the most but I’m not sure he takes those snaps from Willie Henry with how well Henry has done in that spot

And there’s no point using his production in Phillie as an indicator of what his ravens season would have been like because we have 2 distinctly different systems - they use a wide 9 penetrating defence where as we use a tapping system up front

And on wormley I initially felt as you did but I’m coming around on him and was actually excited that he might get some snaps against the steelers (which he didn’t) and in his limited snaps wormley has been highly graded against the pass which is something we are missing up front right now

I wish we’d gotten more for Jernigan and I know that in terms of value the trade up was the equivalent of getting an extra 3rd rounder but I’d rather have had the extra 3rd rounder or maybe even the comp pick - even then I’m not unhappy with what went on with this deal

And I feel even better about it after the emergence of Henry

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we keep Jensen and Wallace, that seems to be critical. No chance we cut guys in rookie contracts, the only time I can remember that happening was John Simon (Nice move, Ozzie) I think we should get rid of Carr, a cornerback group of Marlon, Young, Canady, and Jeremy Hill could be damn good, and add back Jimmy. I want to give Chuck Clark more playing time the guy seems to ball. If Urban wants anything more than 1.5 mill, screw him. Cut Albert, no need for him. Maclin needs to be gone also. Draft 2 WR. Done with the Crocket Gilmore - Maxx Williams - Darren Waller 10 tight end experiments. Draft a tight end early, this class is incredible and deep, I'm talking 2010 potential. I wouldn't mind Watson coming back for cheap. Left guard is a puzzle for me. I wouldn't mind Skura sliding over, and getting a better guy down the road. Just too low on my list of priorities right now. I don't think we would be able to afford Hurst but I would love him back. I don't think we will have much money to work with in honesty. This team is good and young now, I think it is critical to try and keep the nucleus together. At WR, I love Wallace Chris Moore and an early draft pick. If I were to spend money, surely it is on the defense, get MO for that inside pressure.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Here's what I'd do this offseason

-Cut Maclin
-Cut Howard
-Cut Carr
-Cut albert
-Cut Waller
-Cut Maxx(sucks.. Patriots will probably pick him up and turn him into a stud). Just grossly misused here. We probably going to draft a TE
-Cut Correa(useless)
-Extend jimmy. Spread out that damn salary cap
-Extend CJ. Spread out his cap hit.

1. Resign Jensen- duh. Shouldn't be overly expensive but will get a decent payday.
2. Resign Wallace- defense has to respect him because of his speed. Does not need to make receptions to have an impact on the gameplan. Seems to like Joe, not too expensive. Makes a ton of sense.
3. Tender Alex Collins, Mayle, Skura
4. Resign Watson. Stopgap TE.

Free Agency/Trade(for other teams) Needs. Not listing specific players, but options are numerous.
Assuming all of the following are backloaded and/or prove it deals
1. WR. Allen Robinson is my first choice. Coming off of a injury, perfect fit with Joe. Will not command nearly the payday some of the other WRs are going to get. Jacksonville cannot afford to keep him. We gave a hefty payday to Jefferson, and this offseason we will have more cap room to play with. Makes too much sense. My first choice. Second choice would be someone like Taylor Gabriel. Nonetheless, we need two WRs. One from here. One from the draft.
2. DL. Muhammed Wilkerson would be the classic Ozzie move. Released from a team, two years off of success, reports of bad attitude and underwhelming play behind him. Sounds like he wants a winning situation. We're the type of team to take a flier on a player like that. This would make too much sense. Another Ozzie Newsome move would be Jared Crick. Does the dirty work, good role player, startable, jack of all trades master of none. Will not be too expensive. Tom Johnson is another Ozzie type move. Older player, only good at one thing, but damn good at it. Good interior pass rusher. We don't need a true stud there, but having someone like him would be ideal.
3. CB. Prince Amukamara would not command a huge payday due to injury history. Would be a damn good player too. Kyle Fuller would not command a big paydady either. Would be a solid starter. Russ Cockrell to help him get back at the Steelers?
4. ILB. Paul Pousluzny would be another classic Ozzie move. Aging veteran, team cannot afford him at all, would come to a good situation in a defense where he'd fit right in. Big time upgrade for a year or two, not too expensive.

Draft needs
1. OL x 2
2. WR
3. TE
4. CB depth

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m not sure I agree on Jernigan with hindsight - maybe the trade value feels cheap but he was never a consistent interior threat and had his role virtually completely taken over by Michael pierce down the stretch - we also mostly play 1 down lineman on obvious passing downs which is where we “miss” Jernigan the most but I’m not sure he takes those snaps from Willie Henry with how well Henry has done in that spot

And there’s no point using his production in Phillie as an indicator of what his ravens season would have been like because we have 2 distinctly different systems - they use a wide 9 penetrating defence where as we use a tapping system up front

And on wormley I initially felt as you did but I’m coming around on him and was actually excited that he might get some snaps against the steelers (which he didn’t) and in his limited snaps wormley has been highly graded against the pass which is something we are missing up front right now

I wish we’d gotten more for Jernigan and I know that in terms of value the trade up was the equivalent of getting an extra 3rd rounder but I’d rather have had the extra 3rd rounder or maybe even the comp pick - even then I’m not unhappy with what went on with this deal

And I feel even better about it after the emergence of Henry
They currently have him at a 58.4 in that department, albeit on just 36 snaps.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Corner back is not in my worries. Canady is playing great and I trust this guy. Not to mention Humps emerging and Tavon Young was incredible last year. People forget how amazing that guy was. This guy shadowed AB 1 on 1 for a large portion and shut him down. He was also a turnover magnet. I would trust the CB group without Jimmy. Add him and we would be one of the best. MO seems like complete locker room cancer although I can't deny he is a beast. Scares me just a bit with some of the influence he could have on these young guys, we have to have the youngest front 7s (besides Suggs clearly)

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Jernigan makes this defense better and would have helped massively in picking up the slack for Brandon Williams when he went down. He would have also been a better interior pass rusher than anyone we have on the squad right now. The trade was stupid. We basically traded a very good player(and yes. I know he's a better fit in the wide nine) for a guy who is going to be a role player at best. We got a minimal return for the dude at best.
I wasn't a fan of the trade. It should be noted that Jernigan is arguably a better fit in Philadelphia. He's outperformed his prior campaign; and in all likelihood, if he wasn't moved, he likely wouldn't have played as well, netting the same numbers as a byproduct. That being said, I would've preferred for us to play the long game. I fully expected him to sign elsewhere, but I would've taken the potential compensatory selection, which would've conceivably been in the 4th, or even the 3rd. Now obviously they aren't guaranteed given that their nature is in the tallies of the losses and additions. But in either case, he would've helped tilt the scale toward a selection, whether for him or another lost FA, and as we aren't typically big players in the market of UFAs with expired contracts, netting a selection in the process would've been more likely than not.

The issue as it stands is with keeping the selection, trading up, and drafting another defensive lineman is with somebody has to take the back seat. We've reset the market for Brandon Williams, so he's not losing snaps. Michael Pierce has done just as well, so he's unlikely to be unseated. And Willie Henry's minor breakout campaign has him with nearly the same amount of snaps as Pierce. That's not even mentioning Carl Davis. The combination of Lardarius Webb, Maurice Canady and Jalen Hill have played a combined 538 snaps, meaning we've run a ton of plays out of the Nickel/Dime, so one of the DTs is innately forced to sit in the majority of those scenarios. I would've understood the scenario better had we drafted a different position, or at least drafted an sub-package interior pass rusher provided that one was available (Not overly probable in a weak DT class). And it's fair to argue that we weren't certain of how the defensive line was going to shape up, so the criticism is partly done in hindsight. However, at the moment, I personally don't see the decision to be favorable. Could obviously change with time. But that's just me.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Would love DeMarcus Lawrence if he's affordable. He was having a breakout season two years back before being slowed by injuries last season. He's been a wrecking machine this season.
Ziggy Ansah is FA as well I think. Both scare me with their health though.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Ziggy Ansah is FA as well I think. Both scare me with their health though.
Fair enough. I have bigger concerns with Ansah given that he's 3 years older and hasn't recaptured his prior effectiveness over the past two seasons. In Lawrence's case, he's likely well past the broken foot that shortened his rookie season. Obviously the significant back surgery is concerning, but it doesn't appear that any negative effects have shown up thus far.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Would love DeMarcus Lawrence if he's affordable. He was having a breakout season two years back before being slowed by injuries last season. He's been a wrecking machine this season.
No way he’s affordable, if he’s available, and that is doubtful.