• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Raiders Week 1 Edition

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That had to be Tongue in Cheek. He sure can run that herky jerky thang. He can run that thang, but he has not been able to demonstrate he can read a defense and throw like an NFL QB. Imagine Jackson pops a tendon this year, would he have any viable trade value at all? The answer is clearly no. Not gonna get into the receivers he overlooked Monday Night, because he was just as likely to miss them with a properly read toss. The Ravens need to get what the can for Jackson soon, before the novelty the league sees completely wears off. Get some value and select the next Raven's Franchise QB. Its time.

Noted Humpf got turned around on the game winning Touchdown. Getting turned is Humpfs achilles heel. An inability to be an NFL QB is both Jacksons and the Raven's Achilles heel. Someone up there needs to take note before its too late.
This is funny. Good homage to Norm McDonald.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Baldy really needs to compare and contrast what Action Jackson did in this clip with the Raven's last position with a 3rd down and 7 to go. In both clips Jackson handles the ball like its a hot potato. The lack of Jacksons Ball Security is one of the reasons the Ravens lose games like this that they were in position to win. And as well as Jackson runs that thang, he's far more incompetent in seeing the man and throwing the rock. Thats with either the Ravens guy or to their guy, Baldy forgets the episodes where Jackson is agitated after miscues and the end of the game where he's laying prone on the astroturf, face down into the weave, dead to the team knowing that once again, he's been careless with the ball and its cost another game. Sure he can do some good things. They would be even more remarkable things if he could do them as a receiver or running back.

Then there's Jackson tweets. Sure he's upset and has some right to be, but read what he is alleged to have tweeted. To his credit, in hindsight, he does consider ball security. Who thinks he'll keep it in mind going forward? Anyone?

Lamar Jackson steaming over 'f*** a** fumbles' that set up Raiders win over Ravens (msn.com)

Once again, what do you believe Lamar Jackson's trade value to be?

Multiple first round picks would be his trade value.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It says a lot that Ronnie Stanley is the only first round pick on the offensive line. It also says a lot that the last IOL we drafted in the first was Ben Grubbs way, way, way back in 2007. Defensive Line is the same way, we keep using these mid round picks instead and we constantly get overpowered in the trenches. Need to address both lines next year, Lamar looked good and the receivers looked good when the line held up. Time to protect our future $30M+ a year investment.
Not sure this is a good barometer. For starters, league-wide, a lot of your starting interior line players aren't first round picks. And based on the talent pool I've seen coming out of college recently, there's a really good reason for that.

You kind of made my point for me. We've had a lot of really good interior Olineman on this team in the Harbaugh era. And very few, if any, were first round picks. So why would that need to change now? What's different? The Oline struggling? That's not really that different. It happens in multiple games every year.

We're nowhere near the point where we need to start pigeon holing ourselves into being one of the teams who drafts poorly by just saying "I'm getting a RT in the first round, no matter what". All that will do is increase the possibility of you using a high draft pick on a bad player.

Draft smarter, not harder. We're going to need a lot of players next year just like in most years. We're going to need almost an entire new DLine. We'll need offensive lineman (plural). We'll need defensive backs (plural). We'll still need pass rushers.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not sure this is a good barometer. For starters, league-wide, a lot of your starting interior line players aren't first round picks. And based on the talent pool I've seen coming out of college recently, there's a really good reason for that.

You kind of made my point for me. We've had a lot of really good interior Olineman on this team in the Harbaugh era. And very few, if any, were first round picks. So why would that need to change now? What's different? The Oline struggling? That's not really that different. It happens in multiple games every year.

We're nowhere near the point where we need to start pigeon holing ourselves into being one of the teams who drafts poorly by just saying "I'm getting a RT in the first round, no matter what". All that will do is increase the possibility of you using a high draft pick on a bad player.

Draft smarter, not harder. We're going to need a lot of players next year just like in most years. We're going to need almost an entire new DLine. We'll need offensive lineman (plural). We'll need defensive backs (plural). We'll still need pass rushers.
2022 is the draft where we need to trade out of the first entirely. We already have volume on day 3, we can really replenish this roster with a decent trade back and end up with a lot of day 2 picks.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised we lost. Everyone just thought, we could plug in any running back into the system and it would be just as efficient, even though we said the only one who had read option experience in our offense was Ty Williams. However, he hasn't taken any of the first team offense snaps and only had maybe a day or two of practice with Lamar before we had to fly out to Vegas. Murray and Cannon hadn't done it as well.

It takes a lot of time to get the chemistry with RB / QB at the mesh point. This was our concern and it happened on the one RPO we had with Ty Williams in the first half. There was a fumble and thankfully the fumble was recovered.

We need to give them time, we have lost a ton of players to IR, both short and long term IR. This team is going to improve throughout the season. Go Ravens!

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He is a FREAK. About to steal that nickname from Kearse!!!
Kearse was the guy I comped him to from day one. He looks just like him in stature and movements and everything.

now he’s got a hell of a long way to go before he becomes that kind of pass rusher, but man he’s gonna be a menace of an OLB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Although a coverage sack, he used his coverage ability to beat the tackle twice and than forced Carr to leave the pocket before he chased him down. Great play by Oweh. Something that Judon didn't do in 4 yrs in Baltimore.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Everyone knows I love me some Marlon Humphrey. I stanned for him before anyone else on this forum. He was my 2017 draft crush. However, everyone clowned Earl Thomas for giving up on the Nick Chubb touchdown run when Thomas really had no chance of catching Chubb. Marlon straight gave up on that play and he likely could have made a play had he given it full effort. That's inexcusable to me given the circumstances. I get he was likely tired and he had some cramps earlier, but that's game on the line OT football and he just straight up let the play go. Marlon is a world class athlete and a near Olympic level sprinter- he could have potentially made a play on that throw.

tbf to marlon he got picked by his own guy on that play - play was absolutely over by the time he negotiated the pick... like obviously you wanna see effort but there's no chance in hell he's making that play ever...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The pass rush is still such a mega concern. It's frustrating to see the Ravens pour an abundance of resources into bloated contracts or high picks for the defense only for it to come up so short so consistently. Send a full house blitz? Rush four? Anything in between? It felt like the Ravens could simply not get home. The sack that Oweh got (very excited about him) was purely a coverage sack. Don't get me wrong- Oweh showed an absurdly high motor and speed to get to Carr on the play, but that sack wasn't the Ravens pass rush being good- it was the coverage holding up so well. The kryptonite for the offense was the offensive line, obviously. The defense has the pass rush. Those are two hugely important areas that the Ravens need to figure out if they're going to do anything of note this season. The Ravens very well could be 0-2 on Monday and given the back half of the schedule, the Ravens don't have an abundance of time to get things figured out.

oweh's sack was an effort sack but he showed a ton of promise on a few other rushes where he got pressure including 1 (that i havent got to yet with the coaches film but stood out live) where he flattened the edge hard to close on carr

the inability to get to carr was frustrating but i think oweh showed us all some very encouraging signs as a pass rusher (and not just as an athletic linebacker)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This really was a game the Ravens should have won, but they didn't and it really may come back to haunt the Ravens. What should have been, in my opinion, a 3-1 start to the season to set the Ravens up for a brutal schedule on the back half is now looking very murky.

the nature of the loss is the most concerning - we didnt just lose in 1 trench, we lost in both trenches and significantly - we finally have weapons to distribute the ball to on offence (albeit losing JK and Gus is a major blow) and the secondary and 2nd level defenders on defence are high quality and deep (even after losing MP)

but if we lose in the trenches it's not gonna be a winning solution