• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Raiders Week 1 Edition

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
With lack of adjustments to the pass defense in this game KC will come out running bunch formations galore because it’s a copy cat league. We know we can’t blitz Mahomes we need just straight up 4 man pressure to get to him or he will dissect it.

Tavon thought it was a tough assignment first day back getting Renfrow, now he’s gonna have Tyreek Hill running around.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Latavius does not look good. He reminds me of Mark from last year. Just run straight into the pile with no agility or vision

was that Murray who had a gaping hole to the right and ran straight into the pile of players on the left? That play a few others almost made me revert to my screaming ways that would leave me with headaches after games lol

Simba

Staff Member
Latavius does not look good. He reminds me of Mark from last year. Just run straight into the pile with no agility or vision

I thought he was fine considering the circumstances. Gotta remember he got essentially 3 walkthroughs in with the team and that’s it. Can’t imagine he had a full grasp of some of the concepts. Any play call for him was likely very vanilla.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
was that Murray who had a gaping hole to the right and ran straight into the pile of players on the left? That play a few others almost made me revert to my screaming ways that would leave me with headaches after games lol
I seriously thought we left that sh!t when Mark signed with Houston

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I thought he was fine considering the circumstances. Gotta remember he got essentially 3 walkthroughs in with the team and that’s it. Can’t imagine he had a full grasp of some of the concepts. Any play call for him was likely very vanilla.
Vanilla play calls don’t have anything to do with him running straight into a pile of body’s when he can bounce it outside. I didn’t see anything from him that I liked and we should’ve kept feeding Ty’Son unless he was hurt

Simba

Staff Member
I just don’t really see any glaring issues on defense other than the play calling and that’s usually an anomaly for Wink. Our Corners played a pretty damn good game. Westry couldn’t have covered Edwards’ catch any better. Gruden just out-coached us and I have to give it to Carr - he played a phenomenal game

The stat book won’t show it but I thought the secondary as a whole actually had a pretty good game. Can’t blame them for some of the coaching mistakes and being left on islands.

But the defensive issue is the pass rush still. We couldn’t get home with a blitz let alone a standard 4 man rush. That will be our kryptonite once again if we can’t get it figured out. And unfortunately we just lost a key piece in Peters that allows us to take some of those risks. Averett and Westry played well but still just different with Peters out there.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
RPO’s are really going to be dialed down until Ty’Son and the rest of the crew are on the same page as Lamar. I really took Dobbins for granted in that aspect

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We should've drafted more Ol and held an actual competition but we'd rather draft priority FA fullbacks in the 5th.
It's only w1 i know but it hurts to see the state of our ol given it was one of our top priorities

JAAM

Hall of Famer
The stat book won’t show it but I thought the secondary as a whole actually had a pretty good game. Can’t blame them for some of the coaching mistakes and being left on islands.

But the defensive issue is the pass rush still. We couldn’t get home with a blitz let alone a standard 4 man rush. That will be our kryptonite once again if we can’t get it figured out. And unfortunately we just lost a key piece in Peters that allows us to take some of those risks. Averett and Westry played well but still just different with Peters out there.
Is it just me or was McPhee getting a shit ton of snaps and not doing anything with them? And why the hell was Houston in coverage? I think Wink was panicking without Peters

Simba

Staff Member
Vanilla play calls don’t have anything to do with him running straight into a pile of body’s when he can bounce it outside. I didn’t see anything from him that I liked and we should’ve kept feeding Ty’Son unless he was hurt

Yes it does. To me, he just looked a lot more unsure of himself than anything. If you’re not comfortable with the playbook (and he shouldn’t be), you’re going to follow what the play calls for. This isn’t a standard rushing offense. We have a lot of motion up there and runs are designed for specific gaps. Did he look great? No. Do I think this game has any bearing on what he can do here? Also no. Can’t judge off of this one.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

that is outrageous - i get it with stanley (he just isnt back yet) but my god...

i thought last year's OL was bad and we seemingly upgraded

the other thing i noticed was that Zeitler seems to hitch before a lot of the running plays idk if it's a true tell but it seemed to correlate

That’s ridiculous.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Worst thing I saw today was the O-line.

something about Lamar look different, and I like it.

we can’t keep expecting Lamar to pull things out of his bad night in and night out. I like what I saw from Brown and Watkins.

we can only get better…help is on the way in the coming weeks

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I do just wanna say this about Lamar - we're a bit down on him because he had 2 crucial fumbles late and a couple of inaccurate throws

but he's absolutely magical - he's the entire offence right now and with no help still nearly took over the game in the 1st half
I mentioned this to another poster: we'd have 6 points at most if this was the Flacco Era.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I'm sorry but WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A LEGIT PASS RUSH???? It's been YEARS since we had a legit four man rush that can get to the QB. It's honestly just sad at this point, I don't think we've had much of a legit front four that can rush the passer consistently since 2014. If we can't get pressure on Carr then what the hell are we going to do with Mahomes? This is just sad.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It really looked like
Hump gave up on that last play.. if yall gonna say earl gave up, gotta say same about hump.. zay slowed down to catch it, looked like hump couldve possibly did something if he wouldve kept running

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Screenshot-20210914-013844-Chrome.jpg

The fact that Jackson had to essentially put up three potential game-winning drives under these circumstances is one thing. That he was potentially one Mark Andrews catch from going three-for-three is unreal. This might literally be the worst performance from a pair of OTs I've seen as a fan of this team.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
All I can say is poor Lamar Jackson. I believe, there's a good chance we're wasting his prime. The guy is actually my favorite raven of all time. Even more than JO or Ed or Ray or Sizz. I've never seen a football player like Lamar.

If Lamar gets hurt because AV couldn't protect him, I'm not sure I could forgive DeCosta. For the love of God, the coaching staff better come up with a plan to not get him killed. I honestly don't even care about losing to the Chiefs. Just protect the poor guy.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Getting outcoached by old man Gruden hurts... our coaching staff should be embarrassed.

Positives:
- Lamar Jackson. He's still Lamar, He had some good throws and you can see the improvement in his passing game. Lamar put this team on his back so much in this game, we will always have a chance to win with his never give up attitude.
- Defense actually held up pretty good for the most part despite the injuries. Just too bad they are a negative too.
- Oweh is going to get his sacks, he will finish and I believe will be a sack monster in this league.
- Ty'son Williams looked good, should have ran more with him. I don't think we'll miss a beat in the run game but a lot of potential there.

Negatives:
- The OL. Lamar is still Lamar but the few times Lamar had time in the pocket, he was able to make plays. We need to start bolstering the line with first round picks the way Dallas did, stop expecting mid round guys to become starters.
- Lamar is here on both, he needs to practice ball control. He can't keep fumbling the ball at the worst times.
- The defense. Lamar put the team on his back to get the lead, only for the defense to throw it away. Same old Ravens defense, letting the offense down. They did it with Flacco, they are doing it with Lamar too.
- Fire Roman. How many times does Harbaugh need to watch Greg constantly abandon the run and not notice a pattern? Like here's the thing, normally Roman panics when we are losing but he went away from the run game even when we were leading. They had 37 seconds left when Tucker put us up 27-24. How many times did we pass, the ball was incomplete and the clock stopped. Now if one or two of those plays were run plays, they likely don't have 37 seconds to drive down the field.

Only thing I don’t agree with here is personally I thought our 3 minute drill went as perfect as possible. We made them burn all 3 time outs, wasted 2:30 out of 3. Our defense literally only had to not give up 40 yards in 2 plays and overtime never happens.