• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pass rushers

you see starting nfl tackles get bullrushed all the time - just because a pressure doesnt turn into a sack doesnt mean it isnt a negative event for an offence... and you see plenty of power moves break open the pocket to then move to a second move
hand fighting can lead to pressure both inside or outside - the edge rusher's job is to threaten both sides
and im not saying chubb has a spin move but that its another common inside rush move - dwight freeney has essentially built a hall of fame career based off that move

and in terms of chubb - i dont know what you're watching but ive seen him bend that edge hard and often - he doesnt bend like derek barnett but ive never seen anyone bend the edge like derek barnett on college film before - he has shown better bend than myles garrett did last year for example...

there is a correlation between 3 cone and successful rushers in the sense that most (not all) successful rushers go sub-7.2 but its by all means not a rule - you find unsuccessful rushers who go under and successful rushers who go over (or dont even bother running it because they know its gonna go badly - see terrell suggs for example)

the combine will never outdo what the tape shows - when there's disconnect you go back to the tape - especially when the rest of his combine was so impressive
That “bend” from Chubb is nowhere near the bend that Landry has. They’ve both put up stats in college. I’m saying Chubbs game as a pass rusher isn’t going to translate to the pros because of the lack of bend. He does not have a better bend than Garrett. idk how to better quantify it better than the 3 cone which requires you to change direction and “bend” fast enough to get a good time. Don’t know what Suggs 3 cone was.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That “bend” from Chubb is nowhere near the bend that Landry has. They’ve both put up stats in college. I’m saying Chubbs game as a pass rusher isn’t going to translate to the pros because of the lack of bend. He does not have a better bend than Garrett. idk how to better quantify it better than the 3 cone which requires you to change direction and “bend” fast enough to get a good time. Don’t know what Suggs 3 cone was.

Bend isn’t just about changing direction though

the 3 come isn’t really a test of bend in a practical sense - Chubb turns the corner despite being leaned on by tackles or attempted blocks - and he gets around the edge - that’s the bend and he has shown the flexibility, balance and power to consistently do it at a decent level - he forces his body past the tackles outside shoulder and gets his hips perpendicular to the qb - that’s bend

What part of the 3 cone drill actually tests the flexibility and power required to bend the edge?

Bend isn’t just about changing direction though

the 3 come isn’t really a test of bend in a practical sense - Chubb turns the corner despite being leaned on by tackles or attempted blocks - and he gets around the edge - that’s the bend and he has shown the flexibility, balance and power to consistently do it at a decent level - he forces his body past the tackles outside shoulder and gets his hips perpendicular to the qb - that’s bend

What part of the 3 cone drill actually tests the flexibility and power required to bend the edge?
We’re going to have to agree to disagree. Landry is the number 1 edge player imo because of college production and athleticism Chubb doesn’t have.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I still want to say this: if drafted by the right team, Landry can be a great pick. But he's a DPR only, his run defense is atrocious. His play strength is concerning. That being said he has elite traits to be a sack artist in the NFL. His agility is rare.

But he shouldn't be a Raven. I don't want to see another guy receive the Tim Williams treatment. If we select him, I won't necessarily be mad (although he's far from a no brainer) but he better be used as a DPR only. I'll be in wait and see mode. And I'd be pissed because that would waste the talent we have in Bowser and TWill.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still want to say this: if drafted by the right team, Landry can be a great pick. But he's a DPR only, his run defense is atrocious. His play strength is concerning. That being said he has elite traits to be a sack artist in the NFL. His agility is rare.

But he shouldn't be a Raven. I don't want to see another guy receive the Tim Williams treatment. If we select him, I won't necessarily be mad (although he's far from a no brainer) but he better be used as a DPR only. I'll be in wait and see mode. And I'd be pissed because that would waste the talent we have in Bowser and TWill.

if im honest i think timmy williams is a better prospect than landry...

Sorry but I really don’t value run defense as much. You can find edge players that can stop the run fairly easily, consistent pass rushers are way more difficult to get your hands on. I wouldn’t have a problem with adding him with Williams and Bowser. The more pass rushers the better. Look at the Eagles their rotation was ridiculous, Barnett wasn’t even a starter. Although we are going to need a defensive coordinator to properly use all these guys.

Last edited:
if im honest i think timmy williams is a better prospect than landry...
I think Williams has more pass rush moves(I think I saw just about every move at Alabama) but Landry has just ridiculous athleticism. Williams would’ve been a 1st rounder if it wasn’t for off field issues

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Williams has more pass rush moves(I think I saw just about every move at Alabama) but Landry has just ridiculous athleticism. Williams would’ve been a 1st rounder if it wasn’t for off field issues

i dont see a huge amount of rush moves in williams tape but i see a bend and force around the edge that's threatening to tackles as well as being a threat to go either inside or outside with his rush and he's violent with his hands

but yeah i had williams as a top 20 player in the draft on skill last year

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i dont see a huge amount of rush moves in williams tape but i see a bend and force around the edge that's threatening to tackles as well as being a threat to go either inside or outside with his rush and he's violent with his hands

but yeah i had williams as a top 20 player in the draft on skill last year
Williams had every rush move in the book. Two of his moves were elite though for a pass rushing prospect. That inside counter move of his is close to unblockable, and his spin move is devastating as well. He's got others, but those two are his go tos... What a damn shame we didn't use him as a situational rusher.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
So im looking at Davenport again and one thing that struck me was he never has his hand in the dirt. Hes a stand up 3-4 outside linebacker on tape yet everyone says hes a 4-3 DE. Why would he switch hus playstyle after 4 years. I think Bradley Chubb fits a 4-3 scheme better than Davenport.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So im looking at Davenport again and one thing that struck me was he never has his hand in the dirt. Hes a stand up 3-4 outside linebacker on tape yet everyone says hes a 4-3 DE. Why would he switch hus playstyle after 4 years. I think Bradley Chubb fits a 4-3 scheme better than Davenport.

idk who "everyone" is but everywhere that ive seen he's referred to as EDGE and that he's likely going to be viable in both EDGE spots

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yo who the hell is this PJ Hall kid.

Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt

At @BearkatsFB pro day today, DL P.J. Hall measured 6-0 1/2, 308, ran 40 in 4.83/4.71 seconds, had 38 VJ, 9-8 BJ, 36 lifts. Wow! Moved from DE to DT. Quick off ball but slows down. Reminds some of Aaron Donald. My pick to be earliest non-combine invite drafted.

Also has 14 career blocked kicks. 14!!!!!!!

Who the hell is thus guy