• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pass rushers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Landry has a variety of moves. His coach worked with some of the best ever with Taylor and Watt leading that list. I think they compare in how they win outside with bend so consistently. I agree with you on Barnett being bigger and better vs the run but as pass rushers i think they are very similar in how they win
I think with barnetts size and power his bend is far more impressive and effective, a good bend and dip is a pass rushers best tool but Barnett brings power with it that Landry can't match, Landry often needs a step to execute his bend, Barnett can do it head on and still win because even if the blocker can get a good hand on him he is able to power right through it with his incredible balance and very low center of gravity

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like this is spot on https://mobile.twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/963438483548397568

I do think Landry will run better but they are very similar in how they win pass rush wise. I think Barnett was a better run defender however

i dont like this comp at all... it takes the 2 most impressive things about barnett and almost ignores how important they are - i.e. that unreal bend and combining it with his impressive size (given his athleticism)

i dont really see them as similar prospects at all

For those who don't think Landry can bend, here's one proof.
(explosiveness off the snap)
View attachment 613
(good shoulder dip)
View attachment 614
View attachment 615
However, there's way too few tapes available as of now (Florida State, Clemson, VT, Wake Forest) and only one thing I can say for sure is that Landry doesn't stress that pass rushing move as often as Barnett.
I don't think that's because he can't get low (as he's proven in the case above), but rather cause you need to give up a lot of space inside during the attempt and there's always a high chance to expose your back and get entirely get cut off the play.. let's say it's more about the decision to somehow hold accountable for the inside lane as well.
That's how i interpreted it at least.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 613
(good shoulder dip)
View attachment 614
View attachment 615
However, there's way too few tapes available as of now (Florida State, Clemson, VT, Wake Forest) and only one thing I can say for sure is that Landry doesn't stress that pass rushing move as often as Barnett.
I don't think that's because he can't get low (as he's proven in the case above), but rather cause you need to give up a lot of space inside during the attempt and there's always a high chance to expose your back and get entirely get cut off the play.. let's say it's more about the decision to somehow hold accountable for the inside lane as well.
I always thought Landry has the most natural bend in this class. In that case hes one of my top pass rushers because of the variety of moves he can win with. Once he learns to use his hands more often he'll become more consistent.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I really don't understand all the hype with Landry. Sure, he can bend and has a great first step. So did god knows how many guys that didn't amount to anything. He's weak af, never wins a hand battle. He can get all fancy he wants to, once the OT has his hands on him, done. Over. How many successful pass rusher are there that can't get off blocks? I won't bother mentionning his run D, it's a horror show.
Comparing this guy to Barnett?? GTFO. Seriously.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
View attachment 613
(good shoulder dip)
View attachment 614
View attachment 615

not saying he cant bend - just saying that comparing his bend with derek barnett's completely undersells why derek barnett was so successful - theres a difference between being able to bend well and having the best bend ive seen on tape out of a college prospect for at least the last 7 years...

not saying he cant bend - just saying that comparing his bend with derek barnett's completely undersells why derek barnett was so successful - theres a difference between being able to bend well and having the best bend ive seen on tape out of a college prospect for at least the last 7 years...
Ok..than i should go back to Barnett tapes one day cause one year is way too much time to remind how he was using his hands.

Also, I want to clear my point. Never I meant to say that they are similar, rather that who compares them may as well have in mind that specific play and the since Barnett was drafted short ago it wouldn't be hard for someone to remind of him.
Other than that, there's not enough sample size of him pass rushing imo to have an accurate comp

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd be happy with Hercules in the third if he's still there. Strong, solid instincts, and pretty explosive. Instant improvement over ZDS, and could be amazing once he learns some proper technique.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's what I'm saying. Barnetts bend is rare, you don't see that kinda shit from light speedy edge rushers but for a big powerful guy like Barnett, in COLLEGE at a relatively short 260+ playing with a power game, that is incredibly rare, his bend/balance/flexibility is something you just don't see in guys his size and playing with his kinda power. And then he has all the anticipation and know-how and refinement to go with it.

Chubbs 3 cone time scares the hell out of me. I would not take him in the first. Overrated as a pass rusher very good run defense but that isn’t what you want from a round 1 edge player

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don't remember who told me Chubb can't win outside. Literally the second play of the game against Louisville he's already done that.

Absolutely not.
He’s a way better edge rusher than Chubb there’s no question about that. People are in group think on Chubb. There’s literally nothing he does well as a pass rusher that’s going to translate to the next level. He’s going to be a very good run defender. He doesn’t have the bend his 3 cone showed that. Name the last edge rusher that has been successful that has ran a 7.2+ (Chubb ran a 7.37 3 cone). Landry is hands down the number 1 edge in this class and it isn’t even close.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He’s a way better edge rusher than Chubb there’s no question about that. People are in group think on Chubb. There’s literally nothing he does well as a pass rusher that’s going to translate to the next level. He’s going to be a very good run defender. He doesn’t have the bend his 3 cone showed that. Name the last edge rusher that has been successful that has ran a 7.2+ (Chubb ran a 7.37 3 cone). Landry is hands down the number 1 edge in this class and it isn’t even close.
Mkay. So:

Chubb can win with his getoff, his speed to power conversion, his hand usage, his bullrush, his insane understanding of leverage, the variety in his moves, his elite inside counters, his motor.

Landry can win with his getoff and bend. And that's only the case if the OT doesn't touch him.

Trust the metrics all you want, maybe that'll work out better for you than it did for Sashi Brown.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mkay. So:

Chubb can win with his getoff, his speed to power conversion, his hand usage, his bullrush, his insane understanding of leverage, the variety in his moves, his elite inside counters, his motor.

Landry can win with his getoff and bend. And that's only the case if the OT doesn't touch him.

Trust the metrics all you want, maybe that'll work out better for you than it did for Sashi Brown.

adding to this - he didnt do well in the 3 cone but i can see some good and aggressive bending of the edge on film - and im gonna trust that more than the 3 cone drill

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Best bend size combo I ever saw coming out was Robbie Quinn. At 6’4 265 and far stronger than Barnett. I wouldn’t call Barnett strong. More great leverage than strong. Barnett is gonna be a very good player but not great. He is always gonna struggle with the better tackles. Actually he is always gonna get swallowed up by better tackles around the league.