• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

This Is The XFL.... Reboot!

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Vince McMahon is at it again! Vince has started a separate company called "Alpha Entertainment", and as of today has sold $100M in WWE Stock and the new company, Alpha Entertainment has gained the rights to the XFL Trademarks. Originally, Vince started the XFL back in 2001 and only lasted 1 season and now it seems he wants to once again try to compete with the XFL.

What does everyone think of the possibility of the XFL coming back?

Nightman

Practice Squad
They are going to rebrand it the UFL, as in the old name of the Fall D League they tried 15 years ago. Then again there were a couple of AFL s in the 1920s. And someone got the rights to the name USFL and tried to start a D League in the spring 10 years earlier

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
They are going to rebrand it the UFL, as in the old name of the Fall D League they tried 15 years ago. Then again there were a couple of AFL s in the 1920s. And someone got the rights to the name USFL and tried to start a D League in the spring 10 years earlier
Wow, another league that will fail. Good luck though.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
mjames_historyofvegasfootball_2_10232016.jpg

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Players will not recieve forum to take personal stance on social issues.

that will be impossible to enforce - what about players on their own time... if the league achieves the success they likely want then these guys are gonna be public figures who even in their own time are going to have eyes on them

and how do they define social issues - does that mean the league will do no charity work and support nothing at all? does that mean there's no anthem (because standing for the anthem is also a stance)...

this just dont feel well thought through... it seems like a reaction to the NFL protests this year but forgets that despite that overshadowing everything in the public eye, one of the biggest awards a player can receive each year is the Walter Payton Man of the Year award which is inherently about charity work, leadership etc... all of those are based off platforming their images into creating social change...

if im reading this correctly, mcmahon essentially has only included this facet of the league because he doesnt want players kneeling for the anthem... but he's an idiot because he's forgotten that personal stances on social issues are mostly positive and supported...

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 , Vince is also an idiot if he TRULY believes this is gonna work. This man is the epitome of Einstein definition of insanity. As someone who has watched WWE for years, I can easily tell that it has gotten progressively worse with each year. While not the best graph to use, this is a graph of WWE's declining viewership:

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2015/12/2/36229206-1449098933444331-Wayne-Duggan.png

And I'm supposed to believe the XFL will sustain for years? We'll see.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 , Vince is also an idiot if he TRULY believes this is gonna work. This man is the epitome of Einstein definition of insanity. As someone who has watched WWE for years, I can easily tell that it has gotten progressively worse with each year. While not the best graph to use, this is a graph of WWE's declining viewership:

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2015/12/2/36229206-1449098933444331-Wayne-Duggan.png

And I'm supposed to believe the XFL will sustain for years? We'll see.

haha the best wrestling competition to watch is nothing to do with wrestling at all now

i watch something called the movie trivia schmoedown lol but it's like wrestling with heavyweight storylines and drama and intrigue and controversy with heels and faces and they nail the kayfabe but there's movie trivia at its core and the competition is left to competition

i think it helps that the commissioner was briefly a writer for wwe - there's a reverence in the way they create storylines it's really cool to watch especially once you get invested in the names involved

if anything mcmahon needs to take a look at the rise of that and UFC and realise that wwe (or whatever he wants to create) needs to be between those 2 extremes...

stampedehero

Practice Squad
It was too much like fake pro wrestling in presentation quality. I think it's funny that McMahon would not allow a player in his league if they had a DWI. If this new league can muster a televising audience, it will be centered on a lenient way to score a TD rather than a series of video tests and pissed off fans. View attachment 494

Inqui

Pro Bowler
that will be impossible to enforce - what about players on their own time... if the league achieves the success they likely want then these guys are gonna be public figures who even in their own time are going to have eyes on them

and how do they define social issues - does that mean the league will do no charity work and support nothing at all? does that mean there's no anthem (because standing for the anthem is also a stance)...

this just dont feel well thought through... it seems like a reaction to the NFL protests this year but forgets that despite that overshadowing everything in the public eye, one of the biggest awards a player can receive each year is the Walter Payton Man of the Year award which is inherently about charity work, leadership etc... all of those are based off platforming their images into creating social change...

if im reading this correctly, mcmahon essentially has only included this facet of the league because he doesnt want players kneeling for the anthem... but he's an idiot because he's forgotten that personal stances on social issues are mostly positive and supported...
Yeah, it seems the "no social stances" is aimed pretty squarely at banking on protest-related boycotts being the big reason in the NFL ratings declines (forgetting for a second that obliging players to stand for the anthem is itself a social stance but I digress). But even if it's the only reason for the ratings drops (and not cable-cutters, a slow decline overall quality, being sick of advertising and the "peak sport" phenomenon that other sports are suffering from) that's still only a small percentage of people overall given the people no longer watching are still clearly outnumbered by people who still do watch - the decline is a problem for the NFL wanting to stay on the right long-term trajectory but it won't be enough for a new player to become king. So he'll have to do a fair bit more to compete with the NFL and not end up in the same tier as the Arena Football League. Which would have to include forking out massive salaries to try to nab top players out of college and probably in the NFL free agency too - and being able to operate at a sizeable loss for a few years at least.

In a way I hope they can find success at reaching new crowds, maybe trying more direct broadcasting models in the Netflix/PPV model ESPN's been humming and hahhing about for a while. The USFL's most enduring legacy was probably the way it kept the NFL on its toes for a while and forced it into structural changes that turned out to be in its own best interests so I don't think anyone can complain if we see a similar outcome this time.

Nightman

Practice Squad
This is going to be on the rubbish pile of failed Vince McMahon sports ventures:
World Bodybuilding Federation-those who left Wieder's group were supposedly banned for life but after they folded they came back
Donnie La Londe-Sugar Ray Leonard fight. One Leonard worst victories
Original XFL
New XFL will sink like the Titanic.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The XFL has announced TV deals with ESPN and FOX Sports. The games will be broadcasted on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1 & FS2.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The XFL has announced their Draft on October 15th and October 16th. The XFL has a 71 Man Roster per team, and selections are done in phases as described below. Phases 1-4 will see teams draft 40 players(10 players per phase) to their rosters with the final phase being used to fill out the 71 man roster. The order was determined by a Lottery and will be in a snake format meaning the order will be reversed every round. Selections will be announced through social media, XFL.com, on Twitter(@XFL2020) and their Instagram. The draft pool will consist of 1,000 football players.

Over the two-day draft, each XFL team will populate a 71-man roster by selecting players from a set of positional groupings. One quarterback will be assigned to each team prior to a five-phased draft, phased as follows:

1. Skill Players (QB, RB, WR, TE)

2. Offensive Line (OT, OG, OC)

3. Defensive Front Seven (DL, LB)

4. Defensive Backfield (CB, NB, SS, FS)

5. Open Draft (all remaining players after positional drafts, in addition to P/K/LS)

More Info: https://www.xfl.com/articles/xfl-gets-social-with-player-draft

Draft Pool: https://www.xfl.com/en-US/articles/xfl-draft-pool

Nurps

MVP
I'm looking forward to kickoff tomorrow. Some of the rule differences are CRAZY! Two forward passes allowed in the same play, lmao. Should be interesting...….

Reactions: cdp

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to kickoff tomorrow. Some of the rule differences are CRAZY! Two forward passes allowed in the same play, lmao. Should be interesting...….

Recording the games as I'll be at work, interesting to see how these rules work. I just hate how these rules are aiming to get rid of Kickers & Punters. Special Teams is being devalued, NFL is doing it already and if the 4th down rules work in the XFL... oh boy. But I guess Analytics say this is the future of football and the Justin Tuckers and Sam Kochs are the past.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure how many people are interested in this league but there's defintly some new rules

https://www.xfl.com/rules

A couple that I already like.

1- The overtime rules where each team gets 5 possesions at the 5 and whoever has the most conversions wins. Only problem no defensive points.

2- The extra point rules. You can convert either a 2yd play, 5 yd or 10 yd for 1,2 or 3 pts and the defense can get the respective points. Could be a good addition to NFL to provide different scoring oppurtunities. Man talk about some analytics.

3- The double forward pass is interesting since the 1st pass has to be completed behind the LOS. Not sure if I like it tho. Cant make my mind up lol.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Recording the games as I'll be at work, interesting to see how these rules work. I just hate how these rules are aiming to get rid of Kickers & Punters. Special Teams is being devalued, NFL is doing it already and if the 4th down rules work in the XFL... oh boy. But I guess Analytics say this is the future of football and the Justin Tuckers and Sam Kochs are the past.

They do seem to be encouraging returns. Check out the rules I left above if you haven't.