• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 5 Discussion: Primetime Overload

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I know we don't want the Chiefs to win but we do own the tiebreaker. We don't play Buffalo so them losing a conference game does more for us.

bills have an absolute cake walk schedule too - would not be surprised if they went unbeaten the rest of the way - if they win tonight i think you can pencil them into the 1 seed in January tbh

3 toughest teams left on their schedule after this are Bucs, Panthers and Saints...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Before sunday, I thought Chargers had the best overall roster along with the Browns. But Bills are good in all areas. They’re scary.

The Bucs and Bills are showing that the best way to slow down this chiefs offense is to rush 4 and just play strong coverage in the backend. Give Mahomes the dink and dunk and wait for him to get impatient. Feels like Mahomes always looking for that “WOW” play.

With the emergence of Oweh, Madubuike and addition of Houston.. I feel somewhat good. Too bad our MLBs can’t cover a thing.

i mean that's how we stymied the chiefs in the 2nd half in our SNF game - we added a layered rusher wrinkle as well to control the scramble from mahomes too - and that layered rusher was often charged with chipping or doubling Kelce off the line - really clever solution by wink

if the defence could tackle that day and if lamar doesnt throw the 2 picks then its really not close

im with you though - i thought the chargers were stacked but i think they're lacking a bit of speed at WR tbh - they've got nice receivers but cant stretch the field like other explosive offences - think they lack a bit of depth behind their great starting group - the bills probably outdo them there too

it's one area where the ravens are normally better than like 90% of all rosters every year - we just have more depth than other teams (especially on defence) and it's why we have this preseason streak - our depth is better than everyone else's

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
bills have an absolute cake walk schedule too - would not be surprised if they went unbeaten the rest of the way - if they win tonight i think you can pencil them into the 1 seed in January tbh

3 toughest teams left on their schedule after this are Bucs, Panthers and Saints...

just checked out their schedule. Jesus.. that looks cake.

meanwhile.. NFL wants to schedule us vs the Browns 1 week; then away at Steelers (while browns on bye). Then away at browns for a 3 game stretch. Lol.

My conspiracy mind makes me think there’s an agenda to help the browns win the division.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just checked out their schedule. Jesus.. that looks cake.

meanwhile.. NFL wants to schedule us vs the Browns 1 week; then away at Steelers (while browns on bye). Then away at browns for a 3 game stretch. Lol.

My conspiracy mind makes me think there’s an agenda to help the browns win the division.

it normally happens that way to at least 1 team every year - just not normally the AFC North that gets stitched up with a bajillion division games all at once

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt know if he is mentally tough yet but other than that he is a nice qb

yeah. I still have questions about Allen.

But Sean McDermott is one of the better head coaches in the league. So he got that to lean on.

I’m quite impressed with the Chargers new HC too. B. Staley. Rams went from a top 3 ranked defense last year to below average with him leaving. Seems very good schematic-wise as well as situationally. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the 3rd qtr on your 30-40 yard line or whatever was extremely ballsy. But browns had all the momentum, punting right back to them probably would’ve been game over. I saw that and thought damn, that takes a lot of guts.

going to be curious what’s his gameplan is for next week.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah. I still have questions about Allen.

But Sean McDermott is one of the better head coaches in the league. So he got that to lean on.

I’m quite impressed with the Chargers new HC too. B. Staley. Rams went from a top 3 ranked defense last year to below average with him leaving. Seems very good schematic-wise as well as situationally. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the 3rd qtr on your 30-40 yard line or whatever was extremely ballsy. But browns had all the momentum, punting right back to them probably would’ve been game over. I saw that and thought damn, that takes a lot of guts.

going to be curious what’s his gameplan is for next week.

you can see from staley's interviews that he understands and weaponises the analytics that he has available to him - and his defensive scheme is innovative (which is why the rams were so effective last year) - i think you're seeing a lot of teams use his defensive base looks vs heavy passing teams like the chiefs where you cant blitz them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Chris collinsworth just lost my respect entirely when he justified purposely twisting ankles well after the tackle with “you wanna run your qb well here ya go”

Fuck him, he needs to be reprimanded by the nfl for that bullshit
lost respect for him years ago.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Bills really boxing em up. Love their approach of, if you hold we'll hold and see who wins. Chiefs secondary has gotten away with plenty since their run starter.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've never seen Mahomes as out of sorts and confused as this - he's been inaccurate, made some poor reads and looks lost

idk if it's just an off night or if teams really have figured out how to limit him somewhat (taking away Tyreek and Kelce), dropping 7 and giving your pressure time to compress him

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We knew their defense was sketchy but they have been exposed now. It's crazy to think the Chiefs have to score every drive in order to keep up, not the other way around. The top AFC teams seem to be Bills, Chargers and us.