• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Week 16 Edition

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ugly : 5 or so picks that were dropped .
Super Ugly: Brandon Williams was mauled like he was a little baby .
Good : Nothing

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
good: Tucker made all of his attempts. Campanaro as a WR. No turnovers on offense
bad: MM, front seven, Jefferson and Levine trying to cover Doyle.
ugly: camp as a RS, 4 dropped picks and the win.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
At no point in this season have been better than an average football team. I can't recall seeing so many poor football performances league wide.

Defense is a problem. We can't stop the run and cannot get to the quarterback. Weddle in space making tackles is a non starter. It isn't good.
We struggled to get off the field on third down.....mightily.

A blocked punt with the game on the line is unacceptable.

I can't believe this season will be put forth as a success....remembered that way even. The chest pounding....ugggh

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
Good - This reminded me of the Jacksonville game. The entire Ravens team looked sleepy and half assed. Luckily, Indianapolis weren't good enough to take advantage of it and we somehow won.

Bad - The playcalling on both sides of the ball, but particularly Marty reverting to the ultra conservative, throw it 4 yards on 3rd and 10 type stuff he was doing for the first 11 weeks of the season.

The Ugly - Lining up Levine to block a huge D lineman? linebacker? on the blocked punt. I've never seen Rosburg make such a bad mistake before.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ugly:
  • the weather
  • ZDS giving up on rushes
  • 4 dropped ints (that is the only way our defence wins - we can allow teams to drive on us a few drives a game if we take advantage of those big play opportunities because otherwise this defence is average at best - it's built to make game changing plays rather than stifle which is fine but it actually needs to do that when the chance presents itself)
  • playcalling on offence in critical situations - 2 successive drives, 2 successive 3rd and shorts, 2 successive screens... neither worked and the grand total yardage of the 2 plays was negative
  • lack of defensive push - carl davis got 1 good push early on that i noticed but i didnt see him play many snaps, henry got a couple of good pushes but guys weren't cleaning up, williams was absent and if pierce had lots of snaps i completely missed them - williams was bad and pierce was invisible
  • no edge rush... AGAIN... the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results - the Judon, ZDS, Henry, Suggs front 4 grouping is not getting pressure so something has to give, endless db blitzes are being read easily by opposing qbs and picked up by sub-par offensive lines so something has to give, either scheme needs to change or personnel needs to change even if part of it is just giving guys a rest and using the rotation that most of us fans expected we would use before the season began (but which hasnt come to fruition - we're often seeing 3 young front 7 guys inactive despite 2 of them showing promise in limited snaps at times
  • interior offensive line was bad - we faced a better defence and defensive front last week in the browns and had good line play but this colts dline knifed through skura and howard way too easily - stanley was mostly responsible for a bad sack and our best run plays seemed to come from good blocks by tight ends
  • collins - not collins himself because he's still running well and cutting well but teams are keying in on him - he's so dangerous when he gets to the outside but at the moment we arent blocking well enough for him - i think we need to get back to basics with collins a little bit and focus on the 1 gap pulls across the line - the team definitely seems to be blocking better as a unit for allen than collins at the moment

Bad:
  • The colts - which is frustrating because we didnt look notably better than them - the colts were really bad and yet we played down to their level in almost every phase - apart from the field goal block our special teams unit had a really bad outing - a big return from a kick off, the blocked punt in a critical situation, the bad punts in general
  • the way we use dime has become way too predictable - the disguises on blitz isnt as good as earlier in the year and the drops into coverage seem less well designed than earlier in the year too - way too many open holes in the coverage in front of the safeties

Good:
  • Joe - joe is looking good still - playcalling didnt help him and the weather limited his chances to go deep (as did the play designs in some cases - especially as the game progressed) but joe played pretty well given the conditions - didnt really make any bad decisions and made plays for this offence moving around the pocket and escaping when he needed to
  • Wallace, Camp, Moore, Watson, Woodhead - i said this after the browns game recap i did a couple of days ago and i was watching for it today - we had success when using these guys as a personnel grouping - they create space for each other and in combination with each other they are complementary - individually we got some good performances from them too - wallace was good despite the lack of a deep passing game, moore was good too and made a nice catch, watson got us consistent little chunks, woodhead was good and camp was excellent - the yards per play for all these guys wasnt quite what i would have hoped individually for all of them on a perfect day but in combination they are really hard to deal with for a defence despite not being incredible names - camp and woodhead's route running is something to behold in short areas
  • buck allen as a number 2 back did really well - he's starting to beat first contact more now and getting extra yardage and he's not hesitating in the hole - the 4th down conversion he got was clutch too with that 2nd effort - he doesnt have as much agility as id like but as a change of pace back going over 5 yards per play is useful
  • Canady in coverage was really nice - he's been a bright spot since he came back from injury - humphrey as well from what i saw although others on the board indicated he got beaten a couple of times - ill admit i may well have missed that but my feeling is that brissett avoided humphrey's side of the field to a certain degree
  • nice to see camp get his first td since 2014 and maxx get his first td since 2015 - hopefully a sign of more to come

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good - This reminded me of the Jacksonville game. The entire Ravens team looked sleepy and half assed. Luckily, Indianapolis weren't good enough to take advantage of it and we somehow won.

Bad - The playcalling on both sides of the ball, but particularly Marty reverting to the ultra conservative, throw it 4 yards on 3rd and 10 type stuff he was doing for the first 11 weeks of the season.

The Ugly - Lining up Levine to block a huge D lineman? linebacker? on the blocked punt. I've never seen Rosburg make such a bad mistake before.
Huh. Levine is the second line of defense. It looked like the pressure came from right up the middle, that’s not all on Levine lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our offensive and defensive line were completely dominated in this game yet we still won .

That is a rare event when this happens .

Good: The win. Plain and simple. It was a bad day but the TD drive in the 4th quarter and 2 red zone stops to seal it ... That's good

The Bad: Can't remember the last time Koch had a bad game but he had one today.

The Ugly: The way the D got worked, especially up front, most of the game.

Put it in the win column, take a deep breath, move on.