• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Have Fun With This One

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'd like to prove them wrong.
I think it's incredibly dumb to say, "Oh, the Ravens lost to the Jags and the Steelers, so they stand no chance."

Yeah, well, the Jags just lost to the 49ers, the Steelers lost to the Bears, and the Patriots lost to the Dolphins. Can I come up with any other ways the regular season is meaningless to the playoffs?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And then there's another article saying that what the Steelers defense did to the Texans with third string TJ Yates makes them dangerous in the playoffs (different author).

Like, I understand you need to churn out content, but dude, what in the hell?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Reminds me of that one chick that said we didn't have a chance against Denver during our Super Bowl run lol

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Reminds me of that one chick that said we didn't have a chance against Denver during our Super Bowl run lol
The defense is only above average and it's buoyed by a large turnover margin.

No, that is what makes the defense dominant. They are so incredibly opportunistic and create a large number of turnovers. They aren't lucky turnovers or flukes. The defense goes out each and every Sunday (sans a rainy day) and shows it's dominance by taking the ball away.

(I know that isn't a direct reply to what you said, but this article was stupid.)

K-Dog

MVP
Or the guy on NFL radio on Sirius " This game isn't even worth watching "

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The Ravens have the chance to go into the playoffs with a record of 6-1 over the course of their final seven games with their only loss coming by one point after the loss of Jimmy Smith.

With Joe Flacco heating up and the Ravens having 33 turnovers forced to this point, you better believe that no team in the AFC will want to see the Ravens.

There is not a single team in the AFC that scares me if the Ravens are on their game.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
We don’t get any love because we aren’t the sexy team but I did see in Elliot Harrison’s power rankings he gives Flacco credit and the team but it’s rare we get that loo

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Some of it is a fair assessment. There is some luck involved with Ravens turnovers. Overall the coordinators have done a really incredible job with no playmakers on offense and no rushers on defense to force mistakes. Truth be told ravens played a lot of bad teams known for mistakes. And teams with bad and backup QBs. Yeah we played the steelers tough. Then underwhelmed against a bad colts team that seemed to try to lose with that playcalling following the turnover. And Flaccos good side is only a game manager.(not picking on him, look at his receivers) The ravens continue to allow the league to pick their receivers by whoever is scrapped that played well 3 yrs ago. He becomes the ravens new prized receiver that has fans drooling. Mike Wallace then Jeremy Maclin. The ravens let great players walk so it can use the money to fill multiple holes with older cheap players that were cut or not given a big contract at 32. Holes created by poor drafting and bad management. Like all the resources dumped into the TE position yet the frontman is a 37 yr old vet. The ravens are not in the playoffs with young players stepping up. Except for Judon who has flashed at times. And a running back that should never of been available but we appreciate the help from seahawks.

With all that said the ravens are in the post season. Even if it is one and done it will be nice to throw or go to a playoff party. And good job being there regardless how it was done. However the problems will persist at WR until management respects the position. And actually looks for playmakers and take advantage when available. As opposed to waiting til it's back is against the wall and drafting the best WR available when it is on the clock. And it always happens to be adraft that isn't very deep on receivers. And desparately drafting one dimensional receivers.lol

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I can't say I disagree. There isn't much to be scared of. Stop Alex Collins and force flacco to win through the air, then spread the defense out and attack brandon Carr with your top wr and our ILBs with your TEs and force us to blitz safeties(which we know pees will absolutely do) and watch the snowball effect.

Now I still believe we have a chance to upset the patriots, believe it or not I like our chances vs them better than the steelers or jags, but I can't say this article is off base. Our defense is built on jimmy smith and he's gone, we're hurting without him. Mosley isn't his self for some reason, Suggs has slowed down, our upstarts like Willie Henry and Judon seem to have tapered off a bit, weddle has been a poor tackler all year, I mean really our defense is looking gassed and in trouble.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I can't say I disagree. There isn't much to be scared of. Stop Alex Collins and force flacco to win through the air, then spread the defense out and attack brandon Carr with your top wr and our ILBs with your TEs and force us to blitz safeties(which we know pees will absolutely do) and watch the snowball effect.

Now I still believe we have a chance to upset the patriots, believe it or not I like our chances vs them better than the steelers or jags, but I can't say this article is off base. Our defense is built on jimmy smith and he's gone, we're hurting without him. Mosley isn't his self for some reason, Suggs has slowed down, our upstarts like Willie Henry and Judon seem to have tapered off a bit, weddle has been a poor tackler all year, I mean really our defense is looking gassed and in trouble.
It's off base for me for several reasons.

Saying the defense is just good and gets lucky with a lot of turnovers. No, they are elite because they force these turnovers. You do not force 33 turnovers by accident. That is what makes this defense so incredibly scary.

Flacco may not "stuff the stat sheet," but over the past four games, he's averaged over 266 yards and two touchdowns and had only one interception. If he played like he has all season, we're likely looking at a stat line of like 4,000/30/5. That's how good he's been. Yeah, he's not out here throwing for 5,000 yards this season or 400 in a game or anything crazy, but he's been consistently playing well.

Sure, go ahead and stop Alex Collins. The issue is, Joe has taken on the onus of making plays through the air when Collins has been the focal point of the opponents, which has been pretty much every single game this season since he's been a starter. That's the real beauty of the Ravens right now, honestly. Joe is playing incredibly well without the support of a great running game and Marty is designing plays that really get the running backs involved as receivers. Against the Colts, the backs had 9 catches for 63 yards. Nothing fantastic, but when most of that is to the flat or little swing passes, it really adds in value because the Ravens will have their running backs be a threat you have to account for no matter what.

And I mean, who really cares if the Ravens lost to the Jags and Steelers in weeks three and four? That has nothing to do with week 19 (if the Ravens make it that far). The Ravens from week 19 are going to be drastically better than from week 4.

I don't have an issue with people sleeping on us, I've grown used to it but I did read that article on Saturday after we beat the Colts and I can't say I'm surprised.

However, are people going to sleep on the Eagles after their nail-bitting win against the Raiders? I remember when people said Pittsburgh was going to dust us in 2014 wild card game yet we came out victorious. They said the same thing before our game against New England and we narrowly beat them; we probably would have if Jimmy had avoided that season ending foot injury but that's neither here nor there. In the end the Ravens as a whole for some odd reason just are not a popular play-off pick, even in years where we didn't have the best record or overall team.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Saying the defense is just good and gets lucky with a lot of turnovers. No, they are elite because they force these turnovers. You do not force 33 turnovers by accident. That is what makes this defense so incredibly scary.

Flacco may not "stuff the stat sheet," but over the past four games, he's averaged over 266 yards and two touchdowns and had only one interception. If he played like he has all season, we're likely looking at a stat line of like 4,000/30/5. That's how good he's been. Yeah, he's not out here throwing for 5,000 yards this season or 400 in a game or anything crazy, but he's been consistently playing well.

Sure, go ahead and stop Alex Collins. The issue is, Joe has taken on the onus of making plays through the air when Collins has been the focal point of the opponents, which has been pretty much every single game this season since he's been a starter. That's the real beauty of the Ravens right now, honestly. Joe is playing incredibly well without the support of a great running game and Marty is designing plays that really get the running backs involved as receivers. Against the Colts, the backs had 9 catches for 63 yards. Nothing fantastic, but when most of that is to the flat or little swing passes, it really adds in value because the Ravens will have their running backs be a threat you have to account for no matter what.

And I mean, who really cares if the Ravens lost to the Jags and Steelers in weeks three and four? That has nothing to do with week 19 (if the Ravens make it that far). The Ravens from week 19 are going to be drastically better than from week 4.

Let's see if these turnovers hold up and keep coming in the playoffs. Turnovers against bad and poorly coached teams are different from playoff teams. I would bet money these "forced" turnovers evaporate in playoffs. I agree about coaches designing and mixing up plays very very well lately

Sooky

Pro Bowler
do we have a chance at SB? Nope, but i can see us getting pass wildcard depening on who we play
No chance at a SB? Really? This is the SAME talk back in the 2013 playoffs after the team lost 3 of the last 4. All it takes is a team to get in. And the Ravens are one of the hotter teams going into the playoffs. If they beat the Bengals that is what, 6 of the last 7 games won with the only loss by 1 point that could've also gone the other way? The Ravens are just as complete of a football team as the Patriots, Steelers, and Jaguars. The Ravens are getting hot at the right time.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Let's see if these turnovers hold up and keep coming in the playoffs. Turnovers against bad and poorly coached teams are different from playoff teams. I would bet money these "forced" turnovers evaporate in playoffs. I agree about coaches designing and mixing up plays very very well lately
Idk the Ravens have done a pretty good job of creating turnovers in past playoffs. The Ravens have done a pretty good job forcing good QBs in the playoffs to make mistakes. They have done a really good job against Tom Brady in the past and forced two interceptions on Peyton Manning in the 2013 playoffs with a defense that was WAY worse than this one.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No chance at a SB? Really? This is the SAME talk back in the 2013 playoffs after the team lost 3 of the last 4. All it takes is a team to get in. And the Ravens are one of the hotter teams going into the playoffs. If they beat the Bengals that is what, 6 of the last 7 games won with the only loss by 1 point that could've also gone the other way? The Ravens are just as complete of a football team as the Patriots, Steelers, and Jaguars. The Ravens are getting hot at the right time.
the year we won the SB, that year our team was better all around the better. We arent a complete football team bro lol. I guess its gonna take for us to lose before people see whats wrong with this team. Who havent beaten not worthy team nor even played a solid defense for me to think we have a shot a SB. im not that crazy

Sooky

Pro Bowler
the year we won the SB, that year our team was better all around the better. We arent a complete football team bro lol. I guess its gonna take for us to lose before people see whats wrong with this team. Who havent beaten not worthy team nor even played a solid defense for me to think we have a shot a SB. im not that crazy
All around better are you kidding? You can't be serious to think that the defense was better back then. Sure Pitta was playing good ball and Anquan was playing good ball, but Rice wasn't playing his best ball. I think the way that Collins and Buck are running the ball right now are better than Rice and Pierce were back then. The offense is heating up putting up a ton of points, top 5 in the league since the bye week. They are showing more than the team in 2012 was before they went to the playoffs and won the super bowl. Whos to say that Maclin, Wallace, or Watson won't heat up as well?

It is your opinion but these were the same opinions that year and yeah the chances are stacked against this team but New England has a bottom 5 defense and the Steelers defense is really struggling, as well as Antonio Brown's injury clouds their playoff hopes. This team can beat anyone right now.

Tru11

Practice Squad

We played 4 games against teams who are in the play offs and lost all 4.

The offense had 7 turnover combined and our defense only had 2 turnovers.
Take out the Vikings game and our defense only forced 1 TO in 2 games against the steelers and 1 against the Jags.

Small sample size but we are not forcing TO against quality teams nor are we mistake free against those same teams.