• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Have Fun With This One

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
my argument is made with or without that game.
7 turnovers against 2 takeaways in 4 games against play off teams is not exactly breeding confidence.

heck the latest game was in week 14 against the steelers we had 1 TO and 0 Takeaways.

on top of this the defense is actually weaker now with the loss of jimmy.

yeah our offense improved but our defense got weaker, so im not quite sure there has been an improvement after all.
have we even beaten a .500 team other than the lions? Im all for people being optimistic but at the same time what have we done and vs who that will make some think that " no team wants to see the ravens"... if our defense can magically turn things around and flacco can continue playing decent vs a worthy team then maybe our chances go up...lets hope we even get pass cincy, which i think will but its not gonna be easy

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i actually hope brown cant play if we make it that far.

otherwise we gonna have a hard time covering juju, bryant, jesse/mcdonald and bell....

unless we decide to use bowser to cover any of the TE or the rb.
Seen a vid of brown yesterday trying to get back healthy and it looks bad.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
my argument is made with or without that game.
7 turnovers against 2 takeaways in 4 games against play off teams is not exactly breeding confidence.

heck the latest game was in week 14 against the steelers we had 1 TO and 0 Takeaways.

on top of this the defense is actually weaker now with the loss of jimmy.

yeah our offense improved but our defense got weaker, so im not quite sure there has been an improvement after all.
I forgot that what happened in weeks three, four, six affects what happens in weeks 18, 19, 20, and 21.

Since the bye, the Ravens have had two turnovers. That's six games with literally two turnovers total. The Ravens went from having 14 turnovers in 9 games prior to the bye week to having just 2 after the bye week.

The defense has compensated pretty well as of late and I'm confident that with time, they'll have their kinks worked out. Don't forget Ben hung six touchdowns on the Ravens in 2014 immediately following the loss of Jimmy and then allowed just one touchdown and forced two interceptions in the playoffs.

The defense, for once, is finally built to compensate for the loss of Jimmy because Marlon and Canady are playing out of their minds.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't say I disagree. There isn't much to be scared of. Stop Alex Collins and force flacco to win through the air, then spread the defense out and attack brandon Carr with your top wr and our ILBs with your TEs and force us to blitz safeties(which we know pees will absolutely do) and watch the snowball effect.

Now I still believe we have a chance to upset the patriots, believe it or not I like our chances vs them better than the steelers or jags, but I can't say this article is off base. Our defense is built on jimmy smith and he's gone, we're hurting without him. Mosley isn't his self for some reason, Suggs has slowed down, our upstarts like Willie Henry and Judon seem to have tapered off a bit, weddle has been a poor tackler all year, I mean really our defense is looking gassed and in trouble.

"It was not the best-played game by us," head coach John Harbaugh said, per ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley. "We made a number of mistakes, starting with me."

Suggs and Co. allowed 296 yards to the NFL's 31st-ranked offense and dropped a pair of sure interceptions Saturday. "We didn't play a perfect game, but we did enough to win," the veteran linebacker said, per Hensley. "Next week, we're going to need to play perfect [against Cincinnati]."

^^ I don't disagree with the article either.

And those above statements from Harbaugh and Suggs are being said after Ravens games far too much for my tastes.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I forgot that what happened in weeks three, four, six affects what happens in weeks 18, 19, 20, and 21.

Since the bye, the Ravens have had two turnovers. That's six games with literally two turnovers total. The Ravens went from having 14 turnovers in 9 games prior to the bye week to having just 2 after the bye week.

The defense has compensated pretty well as of late and I'm confident that with time, they'll have their kinks worked out. Don't forget Ben hung six touchdowns on the Ravens in 2014 immediately following the loss of Jimmy and then allowed just one touchdown and forced two interceptions in the playoffs.

The defense, for once, is finally built to compensate for the loss of Jimmy because Marlon and Canady are playing out of their minds.

That's a very good point. This defense is definitely in better shape than it was in 2014 and if Melvin didn't have a complete meltdown against the Pats then we could have ended up in the Super Bowl that year.

Only thing that worries me is our lack of pass rush. It would be really great if someone other than Suggs and Judon could step up because I feel like both of them are gassed, at this point. Maybe the adrenaline of the playoffs can get them going again...

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

No pass rush!

Tru11

Practice Squad

Since the bye we only played 1 play off team and lost.
The defense got 39 points put on them and almost 500 passing yards with the steelers missing their 2nd best receiver.

Also thar 2014 defense had 3 of the best pass rushers in doom, mcphee and suggs.
Rushing 3 or 4 was all we needed to get pressure.
Now even if we blitz we barely get any pressure.

On top of this we played them at the WC round.
Now the soonest we will seem them is in the divisional round.

In the play offs we will face teams with top 10 offenses and defense in terms of points allowed/scored.
I am positive those teams will be a bigger challenge then the browns and colts who are 2 of the top 3 worst teams in the NFL.......

K-Dog

MVP
2013 was far from his best year.

2012 he was still a pro bowl caliber player.
he was still 1 of the top running/receiving backs.

only spiller and martin where better doing both .

I am not sure if I would pick Ray in his heyday or Jamal in his heyday.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
That's tough. I'd let someone choose for me lol

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think I would pick Ray just because of his versatility. Nothing against Jamal, but if you look at the best RBs in the league right now (Bell, Gurley, Hunt, etc.) they can all beat you in multiple ways. Jamal was a beastly runner, but he wasn't much of a threat as a receiving back.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
This particular team with all its strengths and weaknesses isn't a team that inspires confidence to go all the way, beat 4 very good teams on the road and win it all. Where is the precedence (based on this year's play) that shows us they can? Which playoff caliber team have they taken on away from home that they've beaten convincingly? I am thinking hard but not able to come up with any right now. My heart tells me they have a shot to go all the way and want them to, but my head vehemently disagrees!

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Since the bye we only played 1 play off team and lost.
The defense got 39 points put on them and almost 500 passing yards with the steelers missing their 2nd best receiver.

Also thar 2014 defense had 3 of the best pass rushers in doom, mcphee and suggs.
Rushing 3 or 4 was all we needed to get pressure.
Now even if we blitz we barely get any pressure.

On top of this we played them at the WC round.
Now the soonest we will seem them is in the divisional round.

In the play offs we will face teams with top 10 offenses and defense in terms of points allowed/scored.
I am positive those teams will be a bigger challenge then the browns and colts who are 2 of the top 3 worst teams in the NFL.......
Congrats, Ben hung up 6 touchdowns the last time and guess what? It made ZERO difference in the playoffs. Ben may very well not have AB and if he does have AB, it'd be a very far stretch to believe that he's at full strength. That's a torn calf on four weeks of rest.

Guess what that '14 defense produced? 49 sacks. Guess how many the '17 defense sits at? 40 with a game to go. But you know what 2014 REALLY lacked that this 2017 defense does not? Quality starting corners. If I remember correctly, it was Webb (who was well past being a starting corner), Melvin, who would have been like sixth string, and Levine, who would come in around seventh string. I'll take what the defense currently has over what '14 had.

Doesn't matter if the Ravens will see them in the divisional round or in the wild card round. What happened in the regular season goes out the window.

You can only play who is on your schedule and right now, the Ravens are going to go 6-1 down the stretch if the Ravens win on Sunday and that puts them as the hottest team in the playoffs, especially with how Flacco has heated up.

Also, I'm pretty sure Detroit was one of the top 10 offenses in the NFL and easily one of the top 5 passing offenses in the NFL and they handled that game pretty damn well until a short blip when Jimmy went down. I like what the Ravens are doing.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Both of the two of them. haha

Jamal hands down for me. While RR was the quintessential playmaker, Jamal had that rare combination of speed and power where he could single handedly take over a game.

K-Dog

MVP
Both of the two of them. haha

Jamal hands down for me. While RR was the quintessential playmaker, Jamal had that rare combination of speed and power where he could single handedly take over a game.
Jamal was the master of the clock burn.

Ravens20002012

Practice Squad
2012 we lost 5 out of last 6 including being torched by Denver at home and we know what happened next. It’s a new season once we get in

Tru11

Practice Squad
Congrats, Ben hung up 6 touchdowns the last time and guess what? It made ZERO difference in the playoffs. Ben may very well not have AB and if he does have AB, it'd be a very far stretch to believe that he's at full strength. That's a torn calf on four weeks of rest.

Guess what that '14 defense produced? 49 sacks. Guess how many the '17 defense sits at? 40 with a game to go. But you know what 2014 REALLY lacked that this 2017 defense does not? Quality starting corners. If I remember correctly, it was Webb (who was well past being a starting corner), Melvin, who would have been like sixth string, and Levine, who would come in around seventh string. I'll take what the defense currently has over what '14 had.

Doesn't matter if the Ravens will see them in the divisional round or in the wild card round. What happened in the regular season goes out the window.

You can only play who is on your schedule and right now, the Ravens are going to go 6-1 down the stretch if the Ravens win on Sunday and that puts them as the hottest team in the playoffs, especially with how Flacco has heated up.

Also, I'm pretty sure Detroit was one of the top 10 offenses in the NFL and easily one of the top 5 passing offenses in the NFL and they handled that game pretty damn well until a short blip when Jimmy went down. I like what the Ravens are doing.

First you argue that what happens in the regular season goes out the window, then you come around and argue that if we go 6-1 down the stretch we will be the hottest team in the play offs.

which one is it?

Either the regular season matter or it dont.

So you want to argue that this years pass rush is on the same level of that in 2014?

As for Detroit.
They have a worse offense then any of the teams in the AFC that made the play offs.
They have a far worse defense.
They are worse in turning the ball over.
We played them at home which is not something we will be doing in the playoffs unless we end up as the 5th seed and play the 6th seed in the championship game.

Sure we can repeat what we did in 2012 and catch everyone off guard.
That is sport, upsets are possible.

However the odds are against us based on what we know right now.

Why should anyone take us seriously when we havent won a single game against any quality opponent in an away game?

Until we do just that , people will look down on us and rightfully so quite frankly.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
First you argue that what happens in the regular season goes out the window, then you come around and argue that if we go 6-1 down the stretch we will be the hottest team in the play offs.

which one is it?

Either the regular season matter or it dont.

So you want to argue that this years pass rush is on the same level of that in 2014?

As for Detroit.
They have a worse offense then any of the teams in the AFC that made the play offs.
They have a far worse defense.
They are worse in turning the ball over.
We played them at home which is not something we will be doing in the playoffs unless we end up as the 5th seed and play the 6th seed in the championship game.

Sure we can repeat what we did in 2012 and catch everyone off guard.
That is sport, upsets are possible.

However the odds are against us based on what we know right now.

Why should anyone take us seriously when we havent won a single game against any quality opponent in an away game?

Until we do just that , people will look down on us and rightfully so quite frankly.
Who we played in weeks 3, 4, 6 is way less relevant than being incredibly hot and having momentum down the stretch.

Quote where I said it is on the same level.

Yeah, Detroit is so much worse offensively than KC, TEN, or JAX. You're right.

Last edited: