• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Have Fun With This One

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Just so we're clear, the Ravens are a bit of an odd case and not one that I would use. It wasn't Ray Lewis that inspired the team. The Ravens really picked up their play thanks to Jim Caldwell taking the reigns, not because Ray Lewis coming back.

If you watched the Giants game in 2012 and any of the playoffs, you would know damn well that run had nothing to do with Lewis.
Ray's announcement had to play a big part on the mental side of things.
And he handled the Colts in a wild card game nicely. Played very good game even for his standards.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Just so we're clear, the Ravens are a bit of an odd case and not one that I would use. It wasn't Ray Lewis that inspired the team. The Ravens really picked up their play thanks to Jim Caldwell taking the reigns, not because Ray Lewis coming back.

If you watched the Giants game in 2012 and any of the playoffs, you would know damn well that run had nothing to do with Lewis.

my man we cool and all but chill out with the Ray talk aight.

that defense improved alot after ray got back and suggs had some games under his belt.

they had a lot of takeways and sacks in the play offs.

that play off defense and regular season defense differ like night from day.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Unless Brady or Ben announce this run as there curtain call (the latter actually being possible) you can't manufacture it randomly. There isn't someone coming back thos postseason to change the landscape so the teans are what they have been the past couple weeks.

That's why I don't care about the first 8 games. Teams are trying to find there formula for winning AND injuries often shift rosters so much from opening day that you cannot even guess what you will be come playoff time. Rookies develop, vets get hurt, its just too much change to even consider them relevant.

Fun fact. Think of all the playoff games that end up as rematches from w17. Have you noticed that the team that wins w17 often wins the rematch even when the losing team was resting starters

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Ray's announcement had to play a big part on the mental side of things.
And he handled the Colts in a wild card game nicely. Played very good game even for his standards.
I mean, I don't doubt that it gave a little extra oomph, but it wasn't the difference between winning or losing the SB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Unless Brady or Ben announce this run as there curtain call (the latter actually being possible) you can't manufacture it randomly. There isn't someone coming back thos postseason to change the landscape so the teans are what they have been the past couple weeks.

That's why I don't care about the first 8 games. Teams are trying to find there formula for winning AND injuries often shift rosters so much from opening day that you cannot even guess what you will be come playoff time. Rookies develop, vets get hurt, its just too much change to even consider them relevant.

Fun fact. Think of all the playoff games that end up as rematches from w17. Have you noticed that the team that wins w17 often wins the rematch even when the losing team was resting starters

is there actually a possibility that this could happen at all?
im trying to think of any teams this year playing each other in week 17 who could play each other in the playoffs

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Potentially not. I think Ray certainly added quite a bit with his mind and that's invaluable, but it's hard to argue that his body could not keep up with his mind.
I still think he called the Ellerbe blitz on Kaepernick on that 4th down and not Pees. Also the play on Manning's OT pick.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
@allblackraven @Tru11 (never personal; just football) just so we're clear, what I was more saying is let's say the Ravens get back Ray for the playoffs and he doesn't make the last ride announcement. I think they still win the SB even if Ray never makes that announcement.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I still think he called the Ellerbe blitz on Kaepernick on that 4th down and not Pees. Also the play on Manning's OT pick.
Pees called that blitz. It's called Cable One and he actually called it for NE in 2007 when the Giants won the SB thanks to the game winning pass to Plaxico Burress.

But I just clarified my point. This wasn't a shot at Ray and I do think the Ravens needed his mind and presence out there (even if he was a shell of a player physically at that point), but I think what I said got taken the wrong way.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
@allblackraven @Tru11 just so we're clear, what I was more saying is let's say the Ravens get back Ray for the playoffs and he doesn't make the last ride announcement. I think they still win the SB even if Ray never makes that announcement.
Quite possibly, since his retirement was probably expected, anyway but the way it was done, it just might have made enough of extra push we needed.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Pees called that blitz. It's called Cable One and he actually called it for NE in 2007 when the Giants won the SB thanks to the game winning pass to Plaxico Burress.

But I just clarified my point. This wasn't a shot at Ray and I do think the Ravens needed his mind and presence out there (even if he was a shell of a player physically at that point), but I think what I said got taken the wrong way.
See? I'm right - when Pees calls it, play fails. Ray, on the other hand... :p

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Quite possibly, since his retirement was probably expected, anyway but the way it was done, it just might have made enough of extra push we needed.
I didn't mean to say that the Ravens would be just as good without Ray. Although, I think getting healthy first and foremost did the biggest favor for the Ravens. I remember the Redskins game where the Ravens were starting like their fifth and sixth string linebackers.

But yeah, Ray's mind was definitely invaluable. It's crazy when he can see a formation and just know the play and get players aligned that way.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I didn't mean to say that the Ravens would be just as good without Ray. Although, I think getting healthy first and foremost did the biggest favor for the Ravens. I remember the Redskins game where the Ravens were starting like their fifth and sixth string linebackers.

But yeah, Ray's mind was definitely invaluable. It's crazy when he can see a formation and just know the play and get players aligned that way.
If he ever decides to start coaching, I wish it's with the Ravens. I'm just not sure how would he handle not being at the top of hierarchy, I just can't see him as a HC.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If he ever decides to start coaching, I wish it's with the Ravens. I'm just not sure how would he handle not being at the top of hierarchy, I just can't see him as a HC.
I don't think Ray would be a good coach. He was great because he was on the field and could line people up. He'd expect perfection and not everyone can just see the game the same way he can. Plus, you'd have to imagine it'd kill him to sit on the sideline.

Maybe a good positional coach, I guess.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I don't think Ray would be a good coach. He was great because he was on the field and could line people up. He'd expect perfection and not everyone can just see the game the same way he can. Plus, you'd have to imagine it'd kill him to sit on the sideline.

Maybe a good positional coach, I guess.
I think he'd be great DC.