• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Bye Bye Marty, Pees and Harbaugh?

Tyler

Practice Squad
I know people want to bitch about Marty but you can't argue he's been among the reasons for Flacco playing his best ball in the last 3 years. I have no qualms letting him continue his work with more weapons next year. Flacco has seen enough changes at OC, why change when suddenly it starts working?

What? He just had his second worst statistical season of his career.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah Billick knew how to call plays. Hair ball is useless coaching offense and defense. Where is his presence now?? He has a franchise QB something Billick didn't. Yet missed the playoffs 3 yrs in a row. And if not 4 Kubiak helping Flacco to his best season as a pro and career year from the running back. And best ravens offense ever. The Ravens would be going through a 5 yr playoff drought. Something else Billick never accomplished. Hair ball is a butt kisser and a yes man to management. He praises managements every move. Billick often clashed with management.lol
Billick never called plays, that would have been Matt Cavanaugh for the most part. Brian then brought in his boating buddy Jim Fassel as OC to handle game planning and play calling.

Brian came to the team as an "offensive genius", but his wave of success rode on the talents of the defense, an area where he had little input.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Harballs teams 2008-2012 were laced with not only hof candidates but smart on field leaders that stepped up their game in the playoffs and pumped up teammates around them. Players like Lewis Reed Ngata Suggs Boldin, Birk. Where was Harballs leadership or playoff joe in that must win game on new yrs eve??

If you watched last sunday game and thought the players lack leadership to win the game then I don't know what to tell you. For some odd reason people seem to think great leadership means you win the game in crucial moments and that's not the case at all. Even with Lewis , Reed, Ngata, Suggs, and Birk The Ravens still had heartbreaking losses. Why didn't all this leadership prevent Lee Evans from dropping the game winning pass against The Patriots in the playoffs in 2011. You can say the same about Billy Cundiff, T.J Houmanzadeh,and etc.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Yeah but he played real well during the the second half of the season. We all know that Joe Flacco wasn't a 100 percent healthy due to his back injury.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I absolutely don't care about the stats. The 2017 Flacco was way more promising for the future of this franchise than the 2016 Flacco and the pre injury 2015 Flacco. And it's not even close.

Tyler

Practice Squad
I absolutely don't care about the stats. The 2017 Flacco was way more promising for the future of this franchise than the 2016 Flacco and the pre injury 2015 Flacco. And it's not even close.

I’m not saying that Joe didn’t play well down the stretch. Given the limited offensive resources at the skill positions and a decimated offensive line, he played admirably aside from a few typical Joe Flacco head scratchers. But I also don’t think that in any way shape or form has Mornhinweg aided in that. Joe Flacco is way past the developmental stage of his career. What you see is what you get, and I’m okay with that Joe Flacco... as long as you surround him with better skill players, keep him clean, and install a system to benefit his strengths and limit his weaknesses. Mornhinweg is not that guy no matter how you slice it.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Thanks for replying.

If he's done watching his kid play football and wants to coach again it could be something to consider...

I like the Vermeil/Martz system. Like a higher risk version of the west Coast offense. Marshall Faulk who was lauded for his tactical brilliance made many references to how tactically brilliant and innovative Ricky proehl is. We could begin by offering him a big contract to be the receivers coach. Welker is pretty smart and innovative to. And on a side note Randy Moss is very smart. Not sure he would ever consider coaching. But Belichick has lauded how tactically brilliant Randy Moss is.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If you watched last sunday game and thought the players lack leadership to win the game then I don't know what to tell you. For some odd reason people seem to think great leadership means you win the game in crucial moments and that's not the case at all. Even with Lewis , Reed, Ngata, Suggs, and Birk The Ravens still had heartbreaking losses. Why didn't all this leadership prevent Lee Evans from dropping the game winning pass against The Patriots in the playoffs in 2011. You can say the same about Billy Cundiff, T.J Houmanzadeh,and etc.

Those teams lost cuz it didn't have playmakers on offense. Hair ball is a leader. He demands a players best and nothing less. But his actual impact on offense and defense is useless. It was those players that go into a state of deeper concentration during playoffs. And get their teammates ready for every play. Dudes like Lewis Reed Boldin and Burke were On field generals. It was them that led that team within games not Harball. Harball has his good qualities. But the dude is a complete moron. One statement from him could sum up how clueless he is.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco has already said his relationship with Marty has grown and Harbaugh is going nowhere. Looks like both will be here next yr
Don't like it but I agree that will be the case. Let's consider ourselves fortunate that Pees is retiring. Not because he was terrible, but because we'll get some change that we all seem to be looking for. This team is fine but lacks the most critical thing to be a successful franchise. It lacks a killer instinct and possesses a very irritating inability to close out games. Whether that is coaching, the QB or the team psyche I don't know but one thing I do know is we can't protect a lead nor can we get one when time is running out. See what Pittsburgh did to us 2 years in a row at Heinz Field. Now that is a killer instinct and the ability to finish close games. That is why they have a bye and Brandon William's fat ass is sitting on the couch.

Tyler

Practice Squad

Not even comparable. Great leadership is proper preparation and execution for a HOME “win and in” game against a very lackluster 6-9 team that was every bit of dead in the water. How did they respond? By going 3 and out, not registering a single first down the first.... (correct me if I’m wrong) 8 offensive drives of the game? And then Allowing that 6-9 team to drive 90 yards down the field and convert a 4th and 12 and embarrass them on their home turf. I think we can all agree that those playoff losses in games that we weren’t ever supposed to win, while heartbreaking, we’re still admirable, valiant efforts. This was just an absolute meltdown.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not even comparable. Great leadership is proper preparation and execution for a HOME “win and in” game against a very lackluster 6-9 team that was every bit of dead in the water. How did they respond? By going 3 and out, not registering a single first down the first.... (correct me if I’m wrong) 8 offensive drives of the game? And then Allowing that 6-9 team to drive 90 yards down the field and convert a 4th and 12 and embarrass them on their home turf. I think we can all agree that those playoff losses in games that we weren’t ever supposed to win, while heartbreaking, we’re still admirable, valiant efforts. This was just an absolute meltdown.

Would great leadership have helped beat a Houston team that had not won a single game all season and gave them there only win of the season more then a decade ago because it apparently didnt?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm having a hard time buying the play hard for Harbs concept when I watched these last two games. Getting dominated up front against 2 of the worst o lines in the league doesn't indicate playing hard.

The game was a microcosm of the season. Horrific start, especially on offense and then a mad scramble to dig out of a whole only to let it all go to shit.

I am seeing the ads for wild card round and the anger I pushed back swells back up again.
Seeing the ads is one thing, but CONSTANTLY seeing articles about how anyone affiliated with the Bills were thanking the Bengals to the point of donating to Dalton's charity made me sick to my stomach (figuratively speaking).

Tyler

Practice Squad
Would great leadership have helped beat a Houston team that had not won a single game all season and gave them there only win of the season more then a decade ago because it apparently didnt?

Dude, I have no clue where you’re going with this. I’m guessing you’re talking about the dolphins game in 2007? Either way, why are we bringing up a game from over a decade ago? Has nothing to do with what unfolded this past Sunday. Completely different team, different coach, players, everything.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude, I have no clue where you’re going with this. I’m guessing you’re talking about the dolphins game in 2007? Either way, why are we bringing up a game from over a decade ago? Has nothing to do with what unfolded this past Sunday. Completely different team, different coach, players, everything.

Wasnt houston the team that was like 0-12 and got there only win against the Ravens though if it happened before it does prove the point that this so called great leadership either didnt exist or is meaningless.

If someone is going to say we HAD great leadership and great leadership gets you play harder at home then why didnt that happen in the past? Or is it the thought that leadership magically makes people just play harder is a nonsensical myth? Or was our leadership not that great back and it was purely based on looks? Either way it sort of highlights that the team was more random in years past then they have been lately and if that is not an indictment of leadership then why is the Bengals game?

Tyler

Practice Squad
Wasnt houston the team that was like 0-12 and got there only win against the Ravens though if it happened before it does prove the point that this so called great leadership either didnt exist or is meaningless.

If someone is going to say we HAD great leadership and great leadership gets you play harder at home then why didnt that happen in the past? Or is it the thought that leadership magically makes people just play harder is a nonsensical myth? Or was our leadership not that great back and it was purely based on looks? Either way it sort of highlights that the team was more random in years past then they have been lately and if that is not an indictment of leadership then why is the Bengals game?

Yeah, you’re thinking of Miami the year Cam Cameron lead them to a 1-15 season and The Ravens gave them their only win, punching Billick’s pink slip. But for the record, I was debating the earlier post about the heartbreaking playoff losses and how the poster was comparing them to this one. I will be the first to say, leaders or no leaders, the team did not properly prepare, or make necessary adjustments for a very winnable game against a bad team. After being gifted a schedule full of backup qbs and the winless Cleveland Browns(2x), they failed, simple as that.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Don't like it but I agree that will be the case. Let's consider ourselves fortunate that Pees is retiring. Not because he was terrible, but because we'll get some change that we all seem to be looking for. This team is fine but lacks the most critical thing to be a successful franchise. It lacks a killer instinct and possesses a very irritating inability to close out games. Whether that is coaching, the QB or the team psyche I don't know but one thing I do know is we can't protect a lead nor can we get one when time is running out. See what Pittsburgh did to us 2 years in a row at Heinz Field. Now that is a killer instinct and the ability to finish close games. That is why they have a bye and Brandon William's fat ass is sitting on the couch.

Brandy Williams is more waste of cap space!! Useless rushing the QB and big run stuffing boat anchors that can't do much else come a dime a dozen. But our management pays one $12Mil per. There were several in the draft this year I liked with more athleticism than Williams that are playing very well when getting into games like DJ jones. And far cheaper than Williams. Coulda kept Jernigan a year til younger players got up to speed. But Williams is a Harball favorite.