• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Murphy's Law, The Ugly and The Uglier

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Simba

we were trying to parse out this play on thursday night straight after the game - and im still not quite sure what's gone wrong here lol

not sure what the coverage is supposed to be but just from how the rest of the defence reacts off the snap i think it's probably stephens
the only other option is queen which i doubt or averett just gets the playcall completely wrong which seems a bit unlikely (because he clearly sees the motion but is unaffected by it) but worth pointing out he was probably at fault for the earlier bust

EDIT:

if this previous play is anything to go by then it is westry - but in the 1st clip he and humphrey communicate and both react to the motion (just without travelling) and clark should see that bust well before it becomes a problem if it is one and no one reacts in a way that suggests it is a westry bust

not sure the playcalls are the same on these 2 plays tbh

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Simba

we were trying to parse out this play on thursday night straight after the game - and im still not quite sure what's gone wrong here lol

not sure what the coverage is supposed to be but just from how the rest of the defence reacts off the snap i think it's probably stephens
the only other option is queen which i doubt or averett just gets the playcall completely wrong which seems a bit unlikely (because he clearly sees the motion but is unaffected by it) but worth pointing out he was probably at fault for the earlier bust

EDIT:

if this previous play is anything to go by then it is westry - but in the 1st clip he and humphrey communicate and both react to the motion (just without travelling) and clark should see that bust well before it becomes a problem if it is one and no one reacts in a way that suggests it is a westry bust

On the big play, I can't tell by the jersey number, but whoever was towards top of the screen, standing at the 35, I would think, should be the guy taking the player in motion. It looks to be a similar offensive look, but I think we're in a different coverage on the second play. Westry stays on his side of the field, which I believe is to handle the TE who will sneak out. Almost seems as if Marlon passes him to Westry.

Whoever is at the top of the screen, which I'm guessing is Stephens, completely collapses down to the box on the play fake. Almost seems as if he either didn't get the communication to hand off the receiver in motion, or he ignored it, thinking it was the exact same play, and wanted to collapse on the running play.

Same as others where I don't know for sure, but it seems clear to me that there's communication with Westry and that he "seems" to be doing what he was supposed to do. I think some are assuming it's his fault because he trailed the receiver across field on the prior play, but it doesn't look like same coverage on our end either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On the big play, I can't tell by the jersey number, but whoever was towards top of the screen, standing at the 35, I would think, should be the guy taking the player in motion. It looks to be a similar offensive look, but I think we're in a different coverage on the second play. Westry stays on his side of the field, which I believe is to handle the TE who will sneak out. Almost seems as if Marlon passes him to Westry.

Whoever is at the top of the screen, which I'm guessing is Stephens, completely collapses down to the box on the play fake. Almost seems as if he either didn't get the communication to hand off the receiver in motion, or he ignored it, thinking it was the exact same play, and wanted to collapse on the running play.

Same as others where I don't know for sure, but it seems clear to me that there's communication with Westry and that he "seems" to be doing what he was supposed to do. I think some are assuming it's his fault because he trailed the receiver across field on the prior play, but it doesn't look like same coverage on our end either.

yeah that's stephens on the 35 and that's why i think it's him on the big play - with everyone except him i can see their responsibility in the coverage whereas he seems to not be accountable for any receiver when he comes down

it's hard to say whether stephens is responding to the motion (because we've lost the beginning of the play in the all-22 in these clips) when he walks down but it seems to happen in tandem with humphrey and westry responding to the motion - but when you see the endzone angle you see he only seems to have eyes for the QB and the RB - without knowing the call we'll never know

but best guess is that it's him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah that's stephens on the 35 and that's why i think it's him on the big play - with everyone except him i can see their responsibility in the coverage whereas he seems to not be accountable for any receiver when he comes down

it's hard to say whether stephens is responding to the motion (because we've lost the beginning of the play in the all-22 in these clips) when he walks down but it seems to happen in tandem with humphrey and westry responding to the motion - but when you see the endzone angle you see he only seems to have eyes for the QB and the RB - without knowing the call we'll never know

but best guess is that it's him
Agreed. Regardless of whether that's his assignment or not, I fail to see how he did anything he was supposed to do on that play. There's no formation I know where you line up your FS in the box and tell them "just collapse down on anything that looks like a run", which clearly he did.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Simba

EDIT:

I believe that they are the same play calls.

The Dolphins ran the exact same play using motion. One was a handoff to the back and the other was the wheel route of the motioned WR. The Ravens defense also ran the same Cover 0 (single high safety) look as well. The key to me was watching Campbell on both plays. He beat his man both times. He stuffs the run on the first play and he sacks the QB on the big pass play. Interestingly, Westry followed the motioned WR on the first play but didn't on the second play which left the motion WR wide open! Humphrey was also near the LOS on both plays and Clark was the high safety on both plays. Another issue of mine on that play was that it seemed as though no one on the sideline screamed to the field players about that motioned WR being wide open as he was motioned/running. Wink nonchalantly pointed to him after he ran a few steps with no defender. Smh! The communication on the backend was definitely lacking.

Last edited: