• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 11 Discussion (Other Teams)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It's week 11 and nobody knows not a single thing about any team. Every time we think we know who the good teams are, they lose to the teams under five-hundred. So it's getting harder to write these previews as I'm just not sure what to write anymore. Only sure thing about the NFL is that teams are going to or are already regretting letting Mac Jones drop to the Patriots. I believe tonight will be a showcase of exactly that when the Pats head to Atlanta to take on the Falcons.

Thursday Night Football
Patriots @ Falcons: Remember when the media was saying Mac Jones would be the pick at three for the 49ers? Perhaps they knew what Belichick knew and were trying to get people to draft him before Belichick could. Mac Jones has out performed his fellow rookie counterparts and after last week's dominance over Cleveland, Mac has the Patriots in not just playoff contention but in a spot to win the division if the Bills slip up any further. Atlanta has a chance to detour that this week but their season hasn't gone to plan. Perhaps thinking they could still compete with Matt Ryan was their biggest mistake of the off-season.

Sunday 1PM Games
Colts @ Bills: Don't look now Buffalo, but the Patriots are back and a slip up on Sunday is going to make the AFC East title race a close one. For Indianapolis, they are looking to win their third straight game as they look to stay in contention for a wild card spot in the tight AFC playoff race. Both teams are the healthiest they have been all year with only two players listed on the injury report between them. Can Buffalo put the Colts away or will Indianapolis continue their midseason surge?

Lions @ Browns: It's the Tim Boyle show on Sunday as the Lions take on Baker Mayfield and the Browns. Cleveland gets back Nick Chubb after spending time on the COVID list while the Lions will be without several key players including Tre Flowers and Right Tackle Matt Nelson. Given how this season has gone, I'm not ruling out a Detroit upset but it will be a harder path to victory without Jared Goff on Sunday.

Texans @ Titans: The Tennessee Titans have gone through a lot of players this season, 82 of them in fact and yet find themselves atop the AFC at 8-2. They are the first team on pace to clinch their division title early and already a couple games up on the rest of their AFC Counterparts. Houston continues to struggle as they find themselves rebuilding suddenly after Watson's legal issues arose. The Titans will be without 7 players on Sunday including Bud Dupree, Rashaan Evans, and Jeremy McNichols. Tennessee should get a easy win here with a huge game with the Patriots on the horizon.

Packers @ Vikings: Green Bay has been able to obtain their 8-2 record while missing several key players, and Sunday's game against Minnesota sees them without Aaron Jones and once again Left Tackle David Bakhtiari who has yet to make his season debut. Allen Lazard will be out with a shoulder injury as well while the Vikings only list rookie guard Wyatt Davis out for Sunday. With Mike Zimmer's seat getting hotter, the Vikings need a win here to keep their playoff hopes alive or else Zimmer could be the first coach fired this season.

Dolphins @ Jets: Joe Flacco is likely to get the start against the Dolphins as Zach Wilson will continue to heal up from injury. Winners of two straight games, Miami looks to climb their way into the Wild Card battle in the AFC with their third straight win. Miami removed several key players from the injury report including QB Tua Tagovailoa who will start on Sunday.

Saints @ Eagles: This is a bad week for injuries as the Saints have ruled out six starters against the Eagles in a huge game that could have playoff implications down the line. New Orleans will be without star Runninback Alvin Kamara giving Mark Ingram another start. They are down BOTH of their starting tackles and their sack leader Tanoh Kpassagnon is also out for the game. So yes, Philly will have to take advantage of a beat up Saints roster to keep their NFC East hopes alive if Dallas struggles at some point.

Washington @ Panthers: Reunited and it feels so good... Carolina brought back Cam Newton last week and smashed the Cardinals last week. This week, former Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera returns to Carolina as the Panthers take on the Washington Football Team. Washington's defense took a hit last week losing Chase Young to a torn ACL for the season. With Cam Newton back as QB1 in Charlotte, can Carolina rise to the challenge to beat Washington and challenge Tampa for the division title? Or will Washington start to turn the corner in hopes of keeping their playoff dreams alive this season?

49ers @ Jaguars: The 2019 49ers showed up last Monday against the Rams and perhaps they are ready to rise up in a tough NFC West? The 49ers head to Jacksonville to take on Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars in Sunny Jacksonville, FL. It's a been rough go for Urban Meyer in the NFL so far, whether he lasts beyond this year remains the question but it's clear he is not the Head Coach that Trevor Lawrence needs in order to develop in the NFL. Will the 49ers continue to return to form or will Jacksonville continue the string of upsets in the NFL?

4PM Games
Bengals @ Raiders: It has been a rollercoaster of a season for the Raiders as they battle off the field issues while trying to remain in the AFC playoff hunt. After surrendering 30+ points to the Chiefs last week, it doesn't get any easier with Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase coming to town on Sunday. The Bengals fell behind in the AFC North following their loss to the Dolphins but need a win here to take advantage of an inconsistent Ravens team.

Cowboys @ Chiefs: This should be a good game, Dak Prescott vs Patrick Mahomes in a potential Super Bowl preview. Many are quick to say the Chiefs are back but Mahomes now faces the NFL's leading interception leader in Trevon Diggs who is on pace for a NFL interception record. Dallas has been able to get a lot out of a secondary that costs very little against the cap and they will need that and more facing Mahomes. Already down Amari Cooper the next two games because of COVID, can Dallas' offense keep pace with the Chiefs if it becomes a shootout?

Cardinals @ Seahawks: DeAndre Hopkins will miss his third consecutive game on Sunday as the Cardinals look to rebound following a loss to Carolina last week. While Russell Wilson is back for Seattle, Kyler Murray is still being called a game time decision for Arizona. Seattle looks to bounce back after being shutout last week against Green Bay, can the Seahawks make it harder for the Cardinals to win the NFC West or will Arizona gain momentum before their BYE?

Sunday Night Football
Steelers @ Chargers:

Monday Night Football
Giants @ Buccaneers:

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I see Falcons fans have already called it a season, not many home fans in the stands tonight. Ouch.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Judon now has a new career high in sacks with 10.5 sacks on the season. Man... I really am starting to think Wink's scheme limits our pass rushers true ability.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Patriots pitched a shutout tonight, unbelievable. Atlanta will regret passing on a QB this year, should have started their rebuild with a new rookie quarterback. At least Atlanta sports fans have the World Series win to look back on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Judon now has a new career high in sacks with 10.5 sacks on the season. Man... I really am starting to think Wink's scheme limits our pass rushers true ability.

not limiting their ability because I think judon’s playing at a similar level to in Baltimore

but it’s clear it limits production for edge guys

judon ended up at 2 pro bowls and the pats gave him a bag of money for a reason

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Starting QB News... not saying Goff would have beat the Browns but he certainly gave them a better chance at pulling the upset compared to Tim Boyle.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Patriots pitched a shutout tonight, unbelievable. Atlanta will regret passing on a QB this year, should have started their rebuild with a new rookie quarterback. At least Atlanta sports fans have the World Series win to look back on.
Struggle to see which rookie QB would have performed well in this offense this year. Lawrence, Wilson and Lance were off the board, meaning they were left with Fields and Jones. Neither would hold up well in this offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Struggle to see which rookie QB would have performed well in this offense this year. Lawrence, Wilson and Lance were off the board, meaning they were left with Fields and Jones. Neither would hold up well in this offense.

i love fields and i think he'd have been a nice fit with arthur smith but that offence with a rookie would have been a massacre especially with julio being traded away and ridley taking a mental health break - youd be looking at justin fields relying on russell gage and half a season of hayden hurst... that's ugly but maybe you take that risk at a shot for a franchise QB

i think kyle pitts at that point in the draft was the only non-qb im thinking about over one of those top QBs

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i love fields and i think he'd have been a nice fit with arthur smith but that offence with a rookie would have been a massacre especially with julio being traded away and ridley taking a mental health break - youd be looking at justin fields relying on russell gage and half a season of hayden hurst... that's ugly but maybe you take that risk at a shot for a franchise QB

i think kyle pitts at that point in the draft was the only non-qb im thinking about over one of those top QBs
There's a lot of criticism in Atlanta about whether or not a TE is worth that level of a pick. And I could go either way. A lot of people would actually say they should have taken whatever they could get in a trade and moved back, which was an option (I guess).

But I agree. This notion of them missing on QBs is baseless in my opinion. I've heard nobody suggest Justin Fields would be a major upgrade in Atlanta, either short term or long term, and it pretty much comes down to Mac Jones. And I've yet to see anybody sell me on the idea that Mac Jones would be anywhere near the QB he is in NE if he were playing in Atlanta.
3-5 years from now maybe that's true, but nobody making this argument now is doing so with a 3-5 year view of the future. They're thinking that Atlanta would be better off in 2021 with a different QB.

Those people also have zero understanding of the salary cap. Ryan was going to cost $27M against the cap this year, and he's locked into at least a $25M cap hit in 2022, which could rise to as high as close to $49M. There's literally nothing the Falcons can do to change that. It just makes no sense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's a lot of criticism in Atlanta about whether or not a TE is worth that level of a pick. And I could go either way. A lot of people would actually say they should have taken whatever they could get in a trade and moved back, which was an option (I guess).

But I agree. This notion of them missing on QBs is baseless in my opinion. I've heard nobody suggest Justin Fields would be a major upgrade in Atlanta, either short term or long term, and it pretty much comes down to Mac Jones. And I've yet to see anybody sell me on the idea that Mac Jones would be anywhere near the QB he is in NE if he were playing in Atlanta.
3-5 years from now maybe that's true, but nobody making this argument now is doing so with a 3-5 year view of the future. They're thinking that Atlanta would be better off in 2021 with a different QB.

Those people also have zero understanding of the salary cap. Ryan was going to cost $27M against the cap this year, and he's locked into at least a $25M cap hit in 2022, which could rise to as high as close to $49M. There's literally nothing the Falcons can do to change that. It just makes no sense.

i mean im of the opinion that justin fields is a rare QB prospect that you dont get a shot at very often

just looking at the prospects themselves - the only legitimate options they had were:
  • Pitts who was the rare generational prospect who just happens to be a tight end and you dont get a shot at those guys often
  • Fields who's got the traits, tape, mentality and characteristics of a legitimate franchise quarterback and you dont get a shot at those guys often
  • trade down to horde picks for a rebuild
i think it's worth pointing out that fields and pitts are the kinds of prospects you dont trade down on - if anything they're the kind of prospects you trade up for

so really it would/should have been pitts vs fields and they went with the guy who they knew was a generational talent rather than the QB they clearly werent sold on...

and i cant criticise them for that if they werent sold on fields - but idk why they werent - im not narcissistic enough to think my opinion and analysis is the be-all-end-all but i dont understand how you can come to that conclusion with fields - he was my clear number 1 QB in this class ahead of lawrence, wilson, lance and jones and i still dont really understand how he fell out of the top 5 let alone the top 10

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Wow.... a week where we win and everything goes our way. The Lions playing it close to the Browns was almost an upset but everything else conference wise went our way. Titans and Bills both loss, but this now means the Patriots are right back atop the AFC East. It's quite crazy here we are with all our injuries and bad luck this season and one game out of the 1 seed.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Wow.... a week where we win and everything goes our way. The Lions playing it close to the Browns was almost an upset but everything else conference wise went our way. Titans and Bills both loss, but this now means the Patriots are right back atop the AFC East. It's quite crazy here we are with all our injuries and bad luck this season and one game out of the 1 seed.
We had the top seed and blew it. The Bengals had the top seed and blew it. The Bills had the top seed and blew it. The Titans have the top seed and lost.....and you STILL want that cursed top seed?

Yeah come on down and get your ticket to the Pit of Misery.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We had the top seed and blew it. The Bengals had the top seed and blew it. The Bills had the top seed and blew it. The Titans have the top seed and lost.....and you STILL want that cursed top seed?

Yeah come on down and get your ticket to the Pit of Misery.

This season is just so hard to explain, I really feel like we are going to get a Super Bowl nobody predicted between two teams nobody thought would be even close to the Super Bowl.

Now if only the Cowboys and Raiders can beat the Chiefs & Bengals while the Chargers beat the Steelers and it will have been a great day for us.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
where the hell did this chiefs secondary come from?

suddenly great tacklers, great in coverage, creating turnovers

It helps that Dallas does not have Cooper and just lost Lamb to a concussion. I thought for sure Dallas could win this game based on how the Chiefs defense has played this season but they certainly stepped up.