• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 DB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m a huge fan of Ahmad Gardner, daxton hill, Brandon Joseph, roger mccreary, Garrett Williams, Allie green iv, and Martin Emerson.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
almost nobody names jordan battle, yesterday he was very good, he looks smart, puncher .
in an interview he said “The main thing is to use your eyes and breaking on the ball when you can,” Battle said. “When you have a quarterback that can scramble you have to keep your eyes on the receivers before you come out of the top because they can look down the field when they are scrambling and make big plays.”

convinced me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
almost nobody names jordan battle, yesterday he was very good, he looks smart, puncher .
in an interview he said “The main thing is to use your eyes and breaking on the ball when you can,” Battle said. “When you have a quarterback that can scramble you have to keep your eyes on the receivers before you come out of the top because they can look down the field when they are scrambling and make big plays.”

convinced me
Jordan battle looks a lot like a deshon Elliott type of guy to me, I think he’s a rangy shallow/box safety, I’ve seen too many bad angles taken on routes in front of him for me to grade him as highly as the media seems to. Just doesn’t look very natural picking up routes in zone.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Jordan battle looks a lot like a deshon Elliott type of guy to me, I think he’s a rangy shallow/box safety, I’ve seen too many bad angles taken on routes in front of him for me to grade him as highly as the media seems to. Just doesn’t look very natural picking up routes in zone.

I don't see it so similar
Deshon, the Joker is a good tackler, and Battle still has to improve that aspect, what I saw against Georgia I liked, after all, the players see each other when the opposition is good.
He seems very intelligent to me, and seeing his way of declaring he convinced me.
I find it more apt to play deep than near the box

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we do go CB in the first, I would love getting Ahmad Gardner. Tall, long, fluid athlete that plays with tons of fire. Also, he's capable of actually catching the damn the ball. In fact, his skill set and style of play actually reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we do go CB in the first, I would love getting Ahmad Gardner. Tall, long, fluid athlete that plays with tons of fire. Also, he's capable of actually catching the damn the ball. In fact, his skill set and style of play actually reminds me a lot of Marcus Peters.
I said the same thing with Marcus peters and I’ve been real high on Gardner for a while, he’s a natural ballhawk with all the length and ball skills needed to not only undercut and jump routes and what not but he can straight up play like a receiver when it’s needed. Smooth af in all his transitions, way more than guys usually are at his height

To my cfb guys or film junkies, what’s your thoughts on Dax Hill? The cut ups I’ve seen of him look legit but seems to mostly play from the slot. Although, if he can play deep with the same instincts he would definitely fit Winks defense as his flexibility would be a huge plus.

Unlike most years I’ve already began to shift to off-season mode a bit early as I just don’t see us making the playoffs with our depleted roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
To my cfb guys or film junkies, what’s your thoughts on Dax Hill? The cut ups I’ve seen of him look legit but seems to mostly play from the slot. Although, if he can play deep with the same instincts he would definitely fit Winks defense as his flexibility would be a huge plus.

Unlike most years I’ve already began to shift to off-season mode a bit early as I just don’t see us making the playoffs with our depleted roster.
I think he’s got a shitload of potential as winks dime/strong/robber type. He’s a really appealing safety but my concern is how much more could he offer than what we already have? He’s ten times the athlete Clark is but A. Is he a green dot guy? and B. Can he play back any better than Clark and Elliott? it could be a net gain in the front but for a first round pick I don’t want it to be a lateral move for back end coverage which is where we struggle the most, if I draft a first round safety on a win-now team I want some goddamn back end coverage, and I’m not saying he can’t do it either, I just don’t know.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think he’s got a shitload of potential as winks dime/strong/robber type. He’s a really appealing safety but my concern is how much more could he offer than what we already have? He’s ten times the athlete Clark is but A. Is he a green dot guy? and B. Can he play back any better than Clark and Elliott? it could be a net gain in the front but for a first round pick I don’t want it to be a lateral move for back end coverage which is where we struggle the most, if I draft a first round safety on a win-now team I want some goddamn back end coverage, and I’m not saying he can’t do it either, I just don’t know.

a 1st round safety has to be a playmaker and has to be able to play nickel

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
a 1st round safety has to be a playmaker and has to be able to play nickel
I think he qualifies for both, but what kind of playmaker? I think he’s a dime backer and can man up on TEs, I think he can play nickel in winks scheme extremely well especially as a blitzer and a screen/run support, and I think his shallow/intermediate zone game is gonna be really strong, but a safety is a safety, and if you can’t play as a traditional safety when needed then I’m really not feeling you as a first round pick.

again that’s not to say he can’t, I just don’t know if he can.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think he qualifies for both, but what kind of playmaker? I think he’s a dime backer and can man up on TEs, I think he can play nickel in winks scheme extremely well especially as a blitzer and a screen/run support, and I think his shallow/intermediate zone game is gonna be really strong, but a safety is a safety, and if you can’t play as a traditional safety when needed then I’m really not feeling you as a first round pick.

again that’s not to say he can’t, I just don’t know if he can.

and tbh i think the NFL agrees with you - not a lot of safeties get taken in round 1 anymore...

abram and savage were taken in 2019 but that was a weaker class across the board
and 2018 had Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James who were both elite safety prospects (and terrell edmunds who was a massive reach)

i imagine we'll see the drought on 1st round safeties end this year with at least kyle hamilton but it's a trend for sure

rossihunter2

Staff Member
is this your way of saying his hype is real? Lol obviously I don’t watch much college ball but I try to catch up on prospects during draft season

his ability to close and break on the ball is ELITE - he's physical, plays with good technique, and has great top-end speed and recovery ability (which allows him to be even more aggressive)

CBs rarely get taken high enough to say this - but i wouldnt be surprised if he's above the elite pass rushers in this class on my board at the end (not done any actual study on any of the elite guys at any position yet but hard to imagine there will be more than 1 or 2 players at most ahead of him on my board when it comes down to it)... an easy top 5 type grade is likely coming for him