• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 DB Thread

Simba

Staff Member
me too - first few plays had me thinking he was gonna be very high - just started to see things that pulled him down a bit the more i watched... things that arent so important in college necessarily but will possibly show up in the pros especially outside (albeit tbf to him he's been left in man coverage 1v1 vs 7 or 8 legitimate NFL WRs and been great so maybe it really doesnt matter)

I would obviously never compare the 2 as far as talent goes, but his demeanor reminds me a lot of Revis. A guy that isn't the most athletically gifted but has confidence in himself and his technique and gets the job done.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would obviously never compare the 2 as far as talent goes, but his demeanor reminds me a lot of Revis. A guy that isn't the most athletically gifted but has confidence in himself and his technique and gets the job done.

maybe im misremember - wasnt revis a sub-4.4 guy?

he makes me think a bit of jaylon johnson from the 2020 draft who went in the mid-to-late 2nd round

Simba

Staff Member
maybe im misremember - wasnt revis a sub-4.4 guy?

he makes me think a bit of jaylon johnson from the 2020 draft who went in the mid-to-late 2nd round

He was but certainly didn’t play like that later in his career. Should have been more specific.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I do like Trent mcduffie quite a bit, idk about for us though, he definitely strikes me as a zone corner, all of his strongest traits seem to show up when he’s playing zone principles, bailing on a receiver because he’s reading the qb and the routes in front of him and making strong reads in general, covering ground really quickly to make a play on the ball, etc.

I wouldnt spend a first, even after a trade back, but if he somehow fell to our 2 I’d jump on it. I would just hope we task him appropriately because I don’t think he’s anything like what we typically do with corners.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do like Trent mcduffie quite a bit, idk about for us though, he definitely strikes me as a zone corner, all of his strongest traits seem to show up when he’s playing zone principles, bailing on a receiver because he’s reading the qb and the routes in front of him and making strong reads in general, covering ground really quickly to make a play on the ball, etc.

I wouldnt spend a first, even after a trade back, but if he somehow fell to our 2 I’d jump on it. I would just hope we task him appropriately because I don’t think he’s anything like what we typically do with corners.

i mean he spent most of his time in zone in college sure - playing zone at an elite level - idk that he can't play man and idk that we're going to play as much press man as we have done with wink (we'll still play a lot)

i just look at Macdonald and his wanting to be able to mix up and disguise coverage and i think mcduffie's a great fit in those terms - we've had no issues fitting marcus peters into this defence - macdonald will work with players' strengths

obviously to be sure about his man skills id like to have seen more examples of it on tape but - i see the foot quickness, hip fluidity and eye discipline to be an effective man corner - when he's asked to be in man he's in phase

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously there are some concerns about stingley's nagging injuries in 2020 and 2021 and also some of his play-level plateauing somewhat

but idk why derek stingley's suddenly getting over-looked

like obviously it sucks that he only played 3 games in 2021 and i get that losing focus or whatever can be a cause for concern

but feels like teams will be making a huge mistake if they let him slip - there's not many players in this class that i'd take over him if i'm satisfied with his medicals

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mccreary and Booth are gonna be solid NFL starters imo for a while. This corner class is deep it seems

mccreary's gonna drop because of his arm length and his 40 time (those were the 2 concerns on him going into the combine)

but the tape is of someone who should definitely be gone early in the 2nd if he isnt taken in the 1st round...

he would be a slam dunk if he fell to the 2nd round for us at 45 - even if the length and long-speed really do manifest in the NFL, he'll still have a role as a slot corner

he's got 3+ years of tape against the best receivers in the SEC (who have since become the best receivers in the NFL) and he's consistently one of the best corners any of those guys faced and certainly the guy who gave chase and the bama guys the most issues

I love Booth's aggression, i love his athleticism and his physicality and his loose hips and quick feet - i dont like that he gets caught flat-footed sometimes especially on deep balls and i think he's definitely a better man corner than zone corner right now - NC state in particular attacked him by flooding his zones with multiple guys to really challenge him by putting him in conflict which i think he actually processed pretty well but then sometimes he struggles when left "covering grass"

both really cool prospects - both i think are in play in the 1st round later on but probably not at 14 - booth's athleticism probably means he gets drafted earlier than mccreary but i think both are pretty nice fits here

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
mccreary's gonna drop because of his arm length and his 40 time (those were the 2 concerns on him going into the combine)

but the tape is of someone who should definitely be gone early in the 2nd if he isnt taken in the 1st round...

he would be a slam dunk if he fell to the 2nd round for us at 45 - even if the length and long-speed really do manifest in the NFL, he'll still have a role as a slot corner

he's got 3+ years of tape against the best receivers in the SEC (who have since become the best receivers in the NFL) and he's consistently one of the best corners any of those guys faced and certainly the guy who gave chase and the bama guys the most issues

I love Booth's aggression, i love his athleticism and his physicality and his loose hips and quick feet - i dont like that he gets caught flat-footed sometimes especially on deep balls and i think he's definitely a better man corner than zone corner right now - NC state in particular attacked him by flooding his zones with multiple guys to really challenge him by putting him in conflict which i think he actually processed pretty well but then sometimes he struggles when left "covering grass"

both really cool prospects - both i think are in play in the 1st round later on but probably not at 14 - booth's athleticism probably means he gets drafted earlier than mccreary but i think both are pretty nice fits here
I'd be happy with either of them or even Hill and Pitre in the 2nd if we go tackle round 1. Otherwise Stingley is the only guy I'd want at 14

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd be happy with either of them or even Hill and Pitre in the 2nd if we go tackle round 1. Otherwise Stingley is the only guy I'd want at 14

stingley's one of my favourites in the class - might be as high as top 4 on my board when it's all said and done although i like sauce gardner as well and he'd also be a slam dunk at 14 (but he's not gonna make it there)

round 2 im finding it hard to envision what it will look like just because there's so much variation and uncertainty in this draft class - i think the QB class being so disappointing and the lack of true blue-chip talent vs some other years but also the massive depth makes anything outside of the top 15 almost impossible to predict at this point

and even the top 15's tricky right now

only thing i will note is that R2 seems to be the sweet spot for the interior DL guys - think there's a handful of them who'll go anywhere from late 1 to early 3

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
stingley's one of my favourites in the class - might be as high as top 4 on my board when it's all said and done although i like sauce gardner as well and he'd also be a slam dunk at 14 (but he's not gonna make it there)

round 2 im finding it hard to envision what it will look like just because there's so much variation and uncertainty in this draft class - i think the QB class being so disappointing and the lack of true blue-chip talent vs some other years but also the massive depth makes anything outside of the top 15 almost impossible to predict at this point

and even the top 15's tricky right now

only thing i will note is that R2 seems to be the sweet spot for the interior DL guys - think there's a handful of them who'll go anywhere from late 1 to early 3
True I can see us trying to take advantage of the depth. Maybe we trade down from 14 afterall and still get a guy like Iowa center(forget his name)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Second round #SIIE on deck! @JAAM

JAAM

Hall of Famer
True I can see us trying to take advantage of the depth. Maybe we trade down from 14 afterall and still get a guy like Iowa center(forget his name)
Linderbaum is a cursed name around these parts amigo :p

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think linderbaum (the C you're talking about) is a great prospect but not a good fit for the ravens at all - gonna be a much better fit for a zone-based running scheme and out of a division that's notorious for having massive and long nose tackles

ive got 10 prospects i love at 14 and if none of them are there then im 100% an advocate for trading down albeit trading down in this class might be a little tricky with the draft order

in a trade down id be looking (personally) at any of the top 6 edge guys who haven't gone yet (most likely 2 guys still available would be David Ojabo or George Karlaftis but equally both could go high too), Jordan Davis (if he hasn't been scooped up yet), Daxton Hill, Devin Lloyd, Devonte Wyatt, Andrew Booth Jr or maybe even Boye Mafe (would feel a lot like the odafe oweh pick last year if we dropped back to the late 20s/30s and took mafe)