• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Steelers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Talking to a couple of Steelers fans in a private Discord chat that I'm part of and they think our running game will have a good day against them. From one of them: "This Steeler team doesn't have the talent on the second level to handle the run game of anyone at moment. This team has given up 550 yards on the ground the past 3 weeks." Interesting stuff....still don't trust our running game though.

for that to matter we’ve actually got to get to the 2nd level lol

it for sure helps that tyson alualu has been out because he’s vital to their interior run defence but not sure our OL have shown they can consistently drive people off the ball at the LoS

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean it's higher than it should be, but ignoring last nights game, it wasn't a concern at all for me really. Gotta realize he's going to blow the doors off any of his prior pass attempt amounts. More pass attempts = more INTs. Prior to last nights game, his INT % was roughly 2.6%, which is basically the same as it was last year.
At 2.6%, he's in the ballpark on an INT basis with guys like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler, Stafford, and Herbert. All those guys are likely to end up with 15+ INTs before the season is over.
and a higher yards per attempt and air yards.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We’re not about to suddenly start running well against the Steelers lol. It takes a mixture of poor talent and fundamentally flawed defensive concepts for this run game to get going
Will see. We've had some games where we've run it well from a RB perspective. Pittsburgh has one of the worst run defenses in the league, and when we played teams with similarly poor run defenses (Chargers and Vikings, particularly), we actually did thrive.
Against Minnesota, Freeman and Bell combined to go 24 for 127, so that's ~5.5 YPC.
Against LAC, Freeman/Murray/Bell combined to go 26 for 115, so that's closer to 4.5 YPC
If we can get those types of output Sunday (and I'd expect a run-heavy gameplan from Roman), I think we'll be in good shape.

Honestly, most of the problem with the run game isn't the lack of explosive plays. I don't think anybody expects that. It's the lack of consistent positive yardage. It's like going back to the Alex Collins days.

My math could be off slightly, but I see 24 designed RB runs last night (ignoring any penalties negating the play). We had ONE carry of 5+ yards (and it was exactly five yards) until the 4th quarter. If I were to assume that an acceptable running play gains 4 yards, 14 of 24 rushing plays yielded less than four yards. 11 of 24 rushing plays yielded 2 yards or less. Even Lamar only had one designed run of over 10 yards.

The "saving grace" that I saw last night is we did get more effective as the game went along. We were consistently getting 3-5 yards per tote in the 4th quarter, and had very few useless or negative runs.

Also, while the box score says it all, it's staggering to look at the play-by-play and see just how bad Latavius Murray was last night. He literally did nothing in the run game all game long.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Will see. We've had some games where we've run it well from a RB perspective. Pittsburgh has one of the worst run defenses in the league, and when we played teams with similarly poor run defenses (Chargers and Vikings, particularly), we actually did thrive.
Against Minnesota, Freeman and Bell combined to go 24 for 127, so that's ~5.5 YPC.
Against LAC, Freeman/Murray/Bell combined to go 26 for 115, so that's closer to 4.5 YPC
If we can get those types of output Sunday (and I'd expect a run-heavy gameplan from Roman), I think we'll be in good shape.

Honestly, most of the problem with the run game isn't the lack of explosive plays. I don't think anybody expects that. It's the lack of consistent positive yardage. It's like going back to the Alex Collins days.

My math could be off slightly, but I see 24 designed RB runs last night (ignoring any penalties negating the play). We had ONE carry of 5+ yards (and it was exactly five yards) until the 4th quarter. If I were to assume that an acceptable running play gains 4 yards, 14 of 24 rushing plays yielded less than four yards. 11 of 24 rushing plays yielded 2 yards or less. Even Lamar only had one designed run of over 10 yards.

The "saving grace" that I saw last night is we did get more effective as the game went along. We were consistently getting 3-5 yards per tote in the 4th quarter, and had very few useless or negative runs.

Also, while the box score says it all, it's staggering to look at the play-by-play and see just how bad Latavius Murray was last night. He literally did nothing in the run game all game long.
I like how Freeman bounced outside for some good gains in the second half. Murray's vision is really suspect.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like how Freeman bounced outside for some good gains in the second half. Murray's vision is really suspect.
Well, in fairness, I don't want to see Murray going outside the tackles barely ever. He's got no speed and he'll get chased down in a second doing that. There's a reason we don't run Gus Edwards on the stretch zone plays either.
But yes, he's a textbook plodder at this point. Runs up the middle, falls forward, gets 2-3 yards, at most. That's it.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, in fairness, I don't want to see Murray going outside the tackles barely ever. He's got no speed and he'll get chased down in a second doing that. There's a reason we don't run Gus Edwards on the stretch zone plays either.
But yes, he's a textbook plodder at this point. Runs up the middle, falls forward, gets 2-3 yards, at most. That's it.
And Gus has better speed than Murray easily.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
How many players across the league remain unvaccinated? It simply amazes me that they aren't vaccinated even to this point. These dudes make millions of dollars and are routinely risking that money and the teams they represent. Now, hopefully T. J. Watt is vaccinated and has a breakthrough infection which means he'll be able to get out of it quickly without too many long term issues or serious disease. However, I don't know what to think anymore.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Huge loss if he misses the game....

I'm just saddened by these young, well paid athletes taking chances with their careers, families and life in general by not getting vaccinated. I am hoping he is vaccinated though despite it affecting us.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm just saddened by these young, well paid athletes taking chances with their careers, families and life in general by not getting vaccinated. I am hoping he is vaccinated though despite it affecting us.
I don’t get it… why do you assume he’s unvaccinated? Are you still under the impression that vaccinated people can’t contract it?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t get it… why do you assume he’s unvaccinated? Are you still under the impression that vaccinated people can’t contract it?

Today could be the day Sami84 forgive us and log back in.. only to see this topic again and rage quit.

I miss him.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Lol dude take a break from CNN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not assuming anything. In fact I hoped he was vaccinated. Breakthrough infections with vaccinations are much rarer than without. Also, concerning is the ability of vaccines to limit the disease that the virus brings forth. Now with Omicron potentially spreading, the more people protect themselves the better. If we were all vaccinated to begin with, there would be fewer mutations because we would nip the virus in the bud. But, that isn't the world we live in. I get that.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Omicron can kiss my ass. Sick of this bullshit, unless it affects Watt’s status

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What's wrong with CNN, NYT, WAPO or NPR? Would you rather I watch Fox News, OANN and Newsmax? Sorry. I like news and not propaganda.
Well you listed some networks who actually report news, and others who clearly post propaganda. Not even people who work at CNN believe they're a "news network". They're on air for 24 hours a day, and on a good day, they report maybe one hour of actual "news". The other 23 hours are spent with jobless "ex political advisors" giving opinions about how other people should feel about whatever "news" they've chosen to report on.

It's a coin. Fox News is heads. CNN is tails.