• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

JAAM

Hall of Famer
If Marlon is done, we’re officially done

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We have to stop justifying Lamar, we love him, but sometimes he plays like trash, today was one of those days.

today was frustrating from lamar but it wasnt trash from lamar

the INT on the first drive was awful, he held the ball too long a handful of times and missed a couple of throws because he was late

but he also had lots of good plays, led the offence down the field multiple times, consistently overcame 3rd and long and that was all despite being on the run for most of the game

and importantly started to show a bit of answer to some of those blitz looks and frequently took the checkdown

D1City55

Pro Bowler
If anyone is legit more concerned about Lamar then the Offensive line then I don't know what else to tell you.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man I sure hope Lamar gets it together, seems he’s lost focus.

He has to do it all with a suspect O line. The pressure of carrying the team has clearly gotten to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

there you go - makes even more sense now

Lol Jesus, I was fired up thinking Harbs was a dog going for the win. This must be the first time in history someone went for two because “ we don’t have anyone to play in overtime”

JAAM

Hall of Famer

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
If anyone is legit more concerned about Lamar then the Offensive line then I don't know what else to tell you.

Both have been downright terrible…I love that we had Romo call today’s game to call him on the BS that homers ignore

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The defense is a continual source of frustration for me.

They allowed the Steelers to have the ball for 13 minutes in the first three quarters (the Ravens had a 32:13 advantage) and somehow the Steelers just gashed the Ravens over and over. It's not an issue of a poor offensive play; it was just piss poor defensive play. I just have no faith in Wink, honestly. I feel like the Ravens defense was carried by an absurd abundance of defensive talent and Wink just benefitted from the Ravens drafting consistently high defensive players, making trades for defensive players a priority, and spending out the ass for defense. This year, the Ravens have had some set backs and the defense has crumpled and doesn't resemble a "Ravens defense."

Offensively, I truly think Lamar doesn't trust the offensive line or Greg Roman.

Some of this falls onto Lamar because I think he tries to play hero ball a lot and takes some sacks he could throw away, but he's the most sacked quarterback in the league. I'd imagine he's close to the most pressured, too. The offensive line is just garbage.

And then there's Roman... he might know how to design a run game, but holy hell he does not know how to design a passing game. Someone elsewhere pointed this out, but we routinely see opposing offenses cause confusion and busts in coverage against the Ravens. When have the Ravens shown they can do that to an opposing team? And the thing is- this is something Bills/49ers fans warned about. They all talked about how Roman was great for the run game and great for a year, but he would hinder the growth of the quarterback he's working with due to archaic passing schemes.

That's not to say I think Lamar is excused and obsolved of blame, but the Ravens have been consistently shown strong offensive play in the hurry up when Lamar seems to have more control. When they huddle, the offense just seems confused or baffled. Like, did anyone else notice when the offense got the huddle broke at 10 seconds because the play wasn't coming in? This has been a consistent issue all year- the Ravens seem to flirt with the play clock on most snaps.

What's wrong with Lamar? I think Lamar is simply playing behind a garbage offensive line with poorly designed passing plays. I think he's lost faith and confidence. The mechanics are reverting to what they were early when they were a problem and he's just making terrible decisions he wouldn't have in years past, like that back throw interception. I truly think Lamar feels like it's Lamar or bust, and really, he's right. The run game is garbage and the offensive line is a sieve. If the offense didn't have Lamar all year? They'd be one of the worst in the NFL. I truly believe that.

I actually think it's a miracle the Ravens are 8-4. With the injuries and poor play around Lamar, the Ravens should be 4-8, not 8-4. Again, Lamar isn't playing great, but he's still showing some Lamar magic, like the touchdown to Andrews against the Browns, the 99 yard drive, and the touchdown on the final drive. The issue is, how do the Ravens get that Lamar magic to come out consistently? I don't think Roman will figure out how to do that, honestly.

I don't think all is lost. I am a bit bemused, though, because I remember 2013 was a rough year for the Ravens offensively with some poor line play and it resulted in Joe's worst season and all the Joe stans made sure to give him a pass. Lamar has an even weaker line and a way worse running game, but the Joe stans won't give him a pass. It's just a bit funny to me.

Basically, at the end of the day, I think it's a miracle the Ravens are 8-4 and leading the AFCN. Based on how they played the rest of the season, I expected now to be around the time the Ravens started to fall off the map. The team is simply not good and I don't think Lamar even cracks the top 5 areas of biggest concern.

13 was the exact season I was comparing this season to a couple weeks ago. Difference here we're actually wining games. We can't keep relying on a run game where the QB is the main threat. Said it before and would have no problem abandoning Roman. Would also potentially save us with some re-signings.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
how could you not be? even with a lackluster oline Lamar had been able to figure it out up until a month ago.

it's no secret that the oline is bad, but our best player and unanimous MVP is playing awful for the last month

Tank

Hall of Famer
13 was the exact season I was comparing this season to a couple weeks ago. Difference here we're actually wining games. We can't keep relying on a run game where the QB is the main threat. Said it before and would have no problem abandoning Roman. Would also potentially save us with some re-signings.
I thought Freeman played well today.

2013 O line was the worst ever, much worse than this year. RR bulked up and checked out. It was so frustrating to watch him just fall down even before contact. His head was up his a$$.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It might be time to start prepping for the draft. This season is a book you have already started but are too far into it to put it down even though you know how it is going to end.
Lamar is holding on to the football he's missing throws. He is Holding the football and not hitting the 1st man who comes open on early downs which is often resulting in a sack and he is putting us further behind the chains

Where is Justin Houston? Bowser tonight?
Pre snap penalties And the lack of a run game is devastating.... No 1 in the secondary can catch the football when they get a chance. Lamar isn't stepping into throws and driving the football. He isn't throwing Deep To space And leading receivers to grass. He was very nervous with the football after that pick tonight. I don't know what else to say But this offense is on watchable

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lets talk about where this game completely fell apart...

the ravens got away from passing on first down for a long stretch. for what seemed like all but like 4 possessions, we were running on every first down and it was stuffed for 1 or less, we got into a pattern of third and long every series, we got by on some flukey looking third down plays, the wheels were bound to fall off, they fell off hard.

quick passes on first down works. period.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Both have been downright terrible…I love that we had Romo call today’s game to call him on the BS that homers ignore

Romo’s primary complaint about Lamar was he needed to get the ball out earlier on several passing plays . This was true but really Lamar is saddled behind the worst oline possibly in the NFL with Mekari out and AV at LT. Lamar is rightly very frustrated and he is making some poor decisions but he is the least of my worries about our team.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
lets talk about where this game completely fell apart...

the ravens got away from passing on first down for a long stretch. for what seemed like all but like 4 possessions, we were running on every first down and it was stuffed for 1 or less, we got into a pattern of third and long every series, we got by on some flukey looking third down plays, the wheels were bound to fall off, they fell off hard.

quick passes on first down works. period.
THANK YOU

lamar hit hollywood on a quick out on a 2nd down play down there to set up like 3rd and 5. but it really begs the question where is that on 1st down?