• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Ugly and The Ugly - Steelers Edition

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

i think that's the first time ive seen Harbs throw any sort of subtle criticism at Wink

And they still couldn't get a sack. And I know that Steelers line isn't lines of years past where they were actually dominant- there were some match ups to be exploited and Wink has no idea how to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And they still couldn't get a sack. And I know that Steelers line isn't lines of years past where they were actually dominant- there were some match ups to be exploited and Wink has no idea how to.

tbf to the EDGE etc. the ball was coming out quick from the steelers and they really went after jimmy and averett - edge rush didnt have much of a chance of getting there today

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I might be in the minority but I really liked the try for two
It was the perfect play call but a tad bit overthrown or Andrews slowed up a bit. I couldn't tell and haven't watched it after the drop.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
its a response to your comment where you specifically say that lamar doesnt understand what he's seeing...

Or he is trying to hard for the big play. Idk , but the better QB today was wearing black/gold and that is super frustrating. Big Ben makes the reads, Lamar seems unwillingly to consistently take what the defense gives him or he doesn’t know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Hall of Famer
With all of the bad we were still just one toss away from pulling another one out of the toilet.
I have no thoughts of making any noise in the tournament, but it would have been cool to keep the poop train on the track for another week. lol

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
tbf to the EDGE etc. the ball was coming out quick from the steelers and they really went after jimmy and averett - edge rush didnt have much of a chance of getting there today
I just can't give them a pass when it's been a multi season issue, even if today was excusable.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one thing Roethlisberger still has left is his IQ. Show him tendancies and he'll pick them apart later in the game.

That's a really interesting quote from Harbs though!

The gimpy old bastard knows how to dissect a D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Lamar tries too much to over compensate when he doesn't need to. That's where his interceptions come from, he throws them when he tries too hard to make something happen. We aren't coaching him properly to take what the defense gives you, take the simple check down if you have to. We had guys open in the middle of the field that he cold have thrown to for easy firsts. Throw the ball away if there is nothing there, that's where his sacks come from. He stands in the pocket and thinks he has all day to throw. Our coaching staff just isn't coaching him to take what the defense gives you.

As for the coaches, is our schemes too complicated for the players to understand? Too many miscommunications on defense that give up big plays. On that Dionte TD, our own guy blocked his teammate for some odd reason like he didn't understand where he was supposed to be. Offensively, either Roman calls out really long drawn out plays which take forever to communicate to Lamar leaving us barely anytime on the play clock. It's quite clear that Lamar is saving Roman's job, if Lamar didn't play the way he did we would have fired Roman a long time ago. Slow starts every damn week, that's on the OC for terrible play calls.

As for players, this is Flacco era type of drops every week with this team now. You know how different Flacco would be seen if some drops actually were caught? Well Lamar is going through that same thing, and at the worst possible times. Players just aren't executing at all for some reason and I can't figure it out.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
as much of the issue has been about the OL screwing up protection when shown the cover-0 look as it has been about lamar not taking the hot read when there really are too many guys to block...

if they show 0 and the DB comes (or whoever) but then drop other guys out, you shouldn't necessarily be taking the hot read in that scenario

looked like the OL actually did pretty well adjusting to those DB blitzes and dealing with those in the 3rd quarter (lamar made some nice protection adjustments at the line and guys actually made their blocks)
I think this game was a little iffy in terms of picking up protection IMO, I think he missed a few hot reads this game and made some, mostly inconsistent but some of the lack of quick throws led to sacks.

I'm aware of that, contrary to popular belief the blitz isn't the only problem here. Guys are getting flat out abused even on four or five man rushes. That's secretly been a problem this year.

The Broncos game week 5 speak to me because in that game Denver actually blitzed us a lot, in fact I think till this day that's the most a team has blitzed us this season but the difference in that game was how well of a job the OL did in picking it up. The Hollywood Brown TD is a great example of that. There were plenty of other plays where that occurred but granted we didn't see a lot of cover 0 looks, just plenty of delayed blitzes.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pre Game, the Clan of the Cave Bear made the Pittsburgh Steel Bears our newest Bear Division. It was the Steel Bears that ate the tasty Raven. Ludy, those balls Andrews couldn't handle were a foot off target and Andrews was wide open when Jackson quick fired a toss that went end over end. It was just the Steel Bears day.
can you leave? youre wack as fuck

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I will say one thing that does annoy me is watching all these plays where the play is frozen in this exact moment and the commentators are like, "He should have thrown there!" But they ignore the quarterback is already in his motion to throw elsewhere.

Not to mention plays have a natural progression and if someone comes open once you've moved on from your read or is too late... well, that's unfortunate.

Point being, it's dumb to put every single throw under the microscope and default to Lamar being off.