• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 15 Green Bay Packers @ Baltimore Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s the play calls man, you couldn’t put that defense out there, a better play call and we’re having a different conversation, Roman picked literally the most useless shit in our playbook, yet again.

The play calling seems to be decent as far as Hollywood was wide open in the endzone but Huntley never looked his way. IF he had, that's when we are having a different conversation. However, he stared down Andrews the entire way on that roll-out (which I hate with a passion) to a shortened field. So, again, to me, it was the offense's inability to execute another 2pt conversion. Something that they are already 2-7 with when trying to attempt them.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The play calling seems to be decent as far as Hollywood was wide open in the endzone but Huntley never looked his way. IF he had, that's when we are having a different conversation. However, he stared down Andrews the entire way on that roll-out (which I hate with a passion) to a shortened field. So, again, to me, it was the offense's inability to execute another 2pt conversion. Something that they are already 2-7 with when trying to attempt them.
The field was shortened because of the playcall and it’s a designed one read because well it’s hard to have multiple reads when you’re rolling out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The field was shortened because of the playcall and it’s a designed one read because well it’s hard to have multiple reads when you’re rolling out.

harbs agreed in the presser that it was basically designed to go to andrews and he thought the safety made a great play
i think that's a bit frustrating because if that's the only option and it's that easy to work out what's happening then it's probably not a great playcall there

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
harbs agreed in the presser that it was basically designed to go to andrews and he thought the safety made a great play
i think that's a bit frustrating because if that's the only option and it's that easy to work out what's happening then it's probably not a great playcall there
I keep hearing “Hollywood was wide open” but it literally means nothing because unless Huntley in his 2nd start has all world vision and awareness and plenty of time there is no chance he even gets to that read

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I keep hearing “Hollywood was wide open” but it literally means nothing because unless Huntley in his 2nd start has all world vision and awareness and plenty of time there is no chance he even gets to that read

Now, I don't know if I agree with Hollywood being anything but the second read on that play, so to me, Huntley felt the pressure and dumped it to the number one. But given that Hollywood had caught 6 or 7 balls on that drive, he had to be number one or two as he probably was on every reception of that drive. It was just a bad decision to go for two.

The thing not being talked about is the effect a coaching decision to win or go home has on the team on the field. They know it's do or die. That's significant pressure and for me, that leads to error. Mental error and "trying too hard" error too. For me, that's the bigger problem in going for it on that last play - they had failed on a 4th and 6 earlier where the points from that FG would have put them over the top with that last TD. That "tough on the players" aspect puts them in an even weirder mind frame knowing they had failed at scoring points in a similar situation earlier. I just wouldn't have done the 2 at the end. It seemed like they were baiting an off-sides penalty, but then came right back out after that TO. I was shocked.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Now, I don't know if I agree with Hollywood being anything but the second read on that play, so to me, Huntley felt the pressure and dumped it to the number one. But given that Hollywood had caught 6 or 7 balls on that drive, he had to be number one or two as he probably was on every reception of that drive. It was just a bad decision to go for two.

The thing not being talked about is the effect a coaching decision to win or go home has on the team on the field. They know it's do or die. That's significant pressure and for me, that leads to error. Mental error and "trying too hard" error too. For me, that's the bigger problem in going for it on that last play - they had failed on a 4th and 6 earlier where the points from that FG would have put them over the top with that last TD. That "tough on the players" aspect puts them in an even weirder mind frame knowing they had failed at scoring points in a similar situation earlier. I just wouldn't have done the 2 at the end. It seemed like they were baiting an off-sides penalty, but then came right back out after that TO. I was shocked.

it was a group decision - the players wanted to go for it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

If the players can’t convert 2 yards because of the pressure then the problem is the players, not the decision.

if the playcall is bad then the problem is the playcall, not the decision.

if it’s a mixture of these 2 things, then the problem is those 2 things, not the decision.

why are we deflecting so hard?

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

it was a group decision - the players wanted to go for it

If the players can’t convert 2 yards because of the pressure then the problem is the players, not the decision.

if the playcall is bad then the problem is the playcall, not the decision.

if it’s a mixture of these 2 things, then the problem is those 2 things, not the decision.

why are we deflecting so hard?

I think we can agree that it was a group decision, but it seems as tho it's getting a little reckless. I don't think I'm out of line with that opinion.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we can agree that it was a group decision, but it seems as tho it's getting a little reckless. I don't think I'm out of line with that opinion.
How is it reckless? Because it happened twice in 3 weeks? That doesn’t change the circumstance, both times we went for it we were undermanned and would literally leave the outcome up to a coin flip, we didn’t have the horses for a defensive stop in either game, and the first time our offense was getting dominated the whole game prior to that drive so there wasn’t much faith there either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it was great self-evaluation - they knew they were under-manned and that's why he was probably unsure - he was also probably unsure because the analytics said he should have gone for it on the first TD so the maths were not quite as good on the 2nd one

but harbs thinking was clearly that we might not get the ball again so try and win it now and get out of there and steal a win with all those backups

and you know if it was lamar the answer would have been even more emphatic - he wouldnt even have waited for anyone else to chime in he would have told coach we were going for it

Status
Not open for further replies.