• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Grit, The "C" Team and The Endless Bloody Injuries

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
I want to see the analysis of why bateman and marquise collided on a road.
I start to feel marquise as not so necessary, today proche, duvernay and wallace had some nice catches, marquise too but ozzie's 80/20 rule should still be taken into account

rossihunter2

Staff Member
stone? surprising, I think it was good

That was surprising to me as well, but @rossihunter2 mentioned that they had some practice or maybe even preseason games with him having the green dot. Not completely sure about this but Rossi will pipe in. Stone had never started a game and I thought Bowser would be the one with the dot, even though he wasn't in the middle of the defense, due to him playing close to 90% of the snaps over the last few weeks.

Agree it he seemed to do well. I'm looking forward to hearing Ken McKusick's filmstudyravens.com take on this weeks games after he breaks everything down.

3 most important things for the green dot wearer:
1) good communicator
2) play in the middle of the defence
3) play 100% of the snaps

bowser satisfies that 1st point but neither of the other 2 - and 90% still isnt 100% - what do you do on the few snaps he comes off the field in those cases - if it was 5 or 6 years ago i would have assumed we would have had queen or bynes wearing the green dot but none of our LBs play 100% of the snaps

which only left stone and stephens - and there's i think 3 easy reasons why stone over stephens:
1) stone's practiced with the green dot all through the offseason as the green dot for the 2nd team and through most of preseason where he played a ton of snaps in that role whereas stephens was in a less rigid "safety" role and still learning
2) stone's in year 2 in the system and stephens is still a rookie
3) while this is not true all of the time, when we play single high stephens is often the deeper defender which puts him further away from the other 2 levels of the defence - FS vs SS isnt the most useful in terms of designations anymore but stone's more of the SS of the 2 of them which puts him closer to the other defenders

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think the performance of Huntley is getting vastly overrated in the sense that this offense was sooooo simplistic and so different from what Lamar traditionally runs.

Huntley threw the ball 40 times, right? Can you guess how many targets went to Hollywood and Andrews? 27. If we lump in the running backs on dump offs, it's 31. Four other receivers accounted for eight targets (one was a throwaway with no target, hence the intentional grounding.)

Huntley had 215 yards. That's 5.4 yards per carry. His long? 43. Why was it 43? Because Andrews is an animal and had 30+ yards of YAC. Without Andrews YAC where he went man mode, Huntley is looking at a sub 5.0 YPA. Even still, look at the long for every other receiver. It was 7 yards. SEVEN! In an offense that has one of the fastest receivers in the NFL, who by the way had 10 catches for 44 yards. Yes, that's not a joke. I know Huntley had the one completion to Andrews for 22 yards and I can recall at least one bomb to Bateman where Huntley showed why he shouldn't throw deep, but I'd guess that at least 35 of those throws were within 10 yards of the LOS.

Everyone was so pumped because everyone thought Huntley was some amazing quarterback who could work through his reads and make incredible decisions. They thought he was going to help Bateman break out big time.

Nah. Huntley ran a two read, max, (and it often looked like a one read) offense. Look for Andrews or Hollywood. Not open? Check down or run. You could see Huntley getting flustered when he would get to the second read and it wasn't there. The Ravens tried really hard to not let this happen and emphasized a two drop offense for Huntley.

And he still shows the absolute lack of arm strength and touch. He can't throw deep to save his life and he has so little drive on the ball. Eric Stokes should have had a pick 6. That ball to Hollywood, which was like 5 yards, hung like a punt. I have no idea why Roman thought Huntley could make that throw to Andrews on the 2pt try. Huntley doesn't have the arm for that.

And this isn't to just shit on Huntley. I think he played impressively well given the circumstances, but pump the brakes on this imaginary trade value. If he goes to a team, they're going to have to accept he can't work through a full set of progressions and can only throw 10 yards reliably... and over the middle, not to the outside.

Yes, he had a nice game, but he isn't driving Lamar's price down or getting a high draft pick.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
This is fucking stupid dude
Bro these last three weeks is literally (well not LITERALLY literally) do-or-die for basically the entire fucking division. I'm not even going to be worried about the standings until the season finale.......in which that will ALL I will be worried (well......that depends on if we get our fucking act together).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
3 most important things for the green dot wearer:
1) good communicator
2) play in the middle of the defence
3) play 100% of the snaps

bowser satisfies that 1st point but neither of the other 2 - and 90% still isnt 100% - what do you do on the few snaps he comes off the field in those cases - if it was 5 or 6 years ago i would have assumed we would have had queen or bynes wearing the green dot but none of our LBs play 100% of the snaps

which only left stone and stephens - and there's i think 3 easy reasons why stone over stephens:
1) stone's practiced with the green dot all through the offseason as the green dot for the 2nd team and through most of preseason where he played a ton of snaps in that role whereas stephens was in a less rigid "safety" role and still learning
2) stone's in year 2 in the system and stephens is still a rookie
3) while this is not true all of the time, when we play single high stephens is often the deeper defender which puts him further away from the other 2 levels of the defence - FS vs SS isnt the most useful in terms of designations anymore but stone's more of the SS of the 2 of them which puts him closer to the other defenders
yes, he is a good communicator and no he hadn't played 100% of the snaps, but neither had Stone. I didn't know he had preseason snaps with the green dot, so I's good to know that he is capable.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
If Lamar played as simple as Huntley, he would sit in all the last quarters of the games like in 2020 and we would already be in the playoffs

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the performance of Huntley is getting vastly overrated in the sense that this offense was sooooo simplistic and so different from what Lamar traditionally runs.

Huntley threw the ball 40 times, right? Can you guess how many targets went to Hollywood and Andrews? 27. If we lump in the running backs on dump offs, it's 31. Four other receivers accounted for eight targets (one was a throwaway with no target, hence the intentional grounding.)

Huntley had 215 yards. That's 5.4 yards per carry. His long? 43. Why was it 43? Because Andrews is an animal and had 30+ yards of YAC. Without Andrews YAC where he went man mode, Huntley is looking at a sub 5.0 YPA. Even still, look at the long for every other receiver. It was 7 yards. SEVEN! In an offense that has one of the fastest receivers in the NFL, who by the way had 10 catches for 44 yards. Yes, that's not a joke. I know Huntley had the one completion to Andrews for 22 yards and I can recall at least one bomb to Bateman where Huntley showed why he shouldn't throw deep, but I'd guess that at least 35 of those throws were within 10 yards of the LOS.

Everyone was so pumped because everyone thought Huntley was some amazing quarterback who could work through his reads and make incredible decisions. They thought he was going to help Bateman break out big time.

Nah. Huntley ran a two read, max, (and it often looked like a one read) offense. Look for Andrews or Hollywood. Not open? Check down or run. You could see Huntley getting flustered when he would get to the second read and it wasn't there. The Ravens tried really hard to not let this happen and emphasized a two drop offense for Huntley.

And he still shows the absolute lack of arm strength and touch. He can't throw deep to save his life and he has so little drive on the ball. Eric Stokes should have had a pick 6. That ball to Hollywood, which was like 5 yards, hung like a punt. I have no idea why Roman thought Huntley could make that throw to Andrews on the 2pt try. Huntley doesn't have the arm for that.

And this isn't to just shit on Huntley. I think he played impressively well given the circumstances, but pump the brakes on this imaginary trade value. If he goes to a team, they're going to have to accept he can't work through a full set of progressions and can only throw 10 yards reliably... and over the middle, not to the outside.

Yes, he had a nice game, but he isn't driving Lamar's price down or getting a high draft pick.

Dude please take Lamar’s dick out of your mouth for a moment. Appreciate our back up is keeping us in games instead of trying to poke holes in his game. Lamar did not play well in the month leading up to his injury. Huntley has played well, it’s ok to admit that. It’s still Lamar’s team for what I assume will be the next 4-5 years , pending contract to come this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Dude please take Lamar’s dick out of your mouth for a moment. Appreciate our back up is keeping us in games instead of trying to poke holes in his game. Lamar did not play well in the month leading up to his injury. Huntley has played well, it’s ok to admit that. It’s still Lamar’s team for what I assume will be the next 4-5 years , pending contract to come this off season.

Where did I mention Lamar in my post other than to say Huntley isn't driving Lamar's price down?

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Where did I mention Lamar in my post other than to say Huntley isn't driving Lamar's price down?

I keep seeing you get upset like an insecure high school gf whenever the topic of Lamar/ Huntley comes up. Super negative and whiny . Attempting to poke holes in a guys game who’s making only his second career start and comparing it to Lamar. Give me a break. Again just appreciate we’ve got a kid behind Lamar that is playing well and keeps us in any game while we wait for Qb1 to come back.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I keep seeing you get upset like an insecure high school gf whenever the topic of Lamar/ Huntley comes up. Super negative and whiny . Attempting to poke holes in a guys game who’s making only his second career start and comparing it to Lamar. Give me a break. Again just appreciate we’ve got a kid behind Lamar that is playing well and keeps us in any game while we wait for Qb1 to come back.

So where did I mention Lamar in my post other than to say Huntley isn't driving his price down?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Just so we're clear, I'm talking about Huntley and Huntley only. If you would like to reply to what I said with something intelligent, we could have a great discussion.

No, I'm not going to praise Huntley blindly and ponder what our future first round pick will turn into or what all this new found cap space will do for the Ravens now that Lamar costs half as much.

I'm simply stating what I see and offering my opinion and thoughts in the post game discussion thread.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

absolutely - and i agree - this is not to speak poorly of huntley - he's exactly what we want out of him in year 2... a game-manager who's on time and can occasionally make a play himself with his legs (or his arm) - but those guys arent valuable to other teams except as backups and no one's giving up any major capital for a 2nd year udfa backup QB

but i even mentioned it in the game thread a few times when it happened but a few times you could see him with 2 reads on one side of the field and they'd both get taken away immediately post-snap because the packers showed a slightly disguised look and he'd see those reads not available and suddenly have this moment of panic where he froze before moving to the next part of his play which often then became some sort of scramble - but at least 2 or 3 times he visibly almost startled and froze like a deer in the headlights

now what was good was that he noticed the post-snap look and didnt just throw the ball anyway and he would eventually move and try and create something positive but it was notable for sure

his ADOT for this game is going to be so low - so much was quick game, so much of it was 1 or 2 steps then throw

now what's instructive is the success we had with huntley on this quick and short throws staying on time and in phase and making sure we dont get behind the chains - and it opened up the interior run a little (although kenny clark wasnt playing) - there's definitely elements of this gameplan with huntley that we should 100% look to use to help out lamar - mixed up formations, mixed up personnel - spread the defence out and ran slants and spot routes and put receivers in space underneath

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yes, he is a good communicator and no he hadn't played 100% of the snaps, but neither had Stone. I didn't know he had preseason snaps with the green dot, so I's good to know that he is capable.

right but stone was going to be the starting safety which is a role that means he was going to play 100% of the snaps simply because of the position he played - the fact that he hadnt played a full 100% of snaps before means nothing because he was always going to get 100% of the snaps in this game

the choice was never going to be bowser

it was always going to be 1 (or 2) of these 5 guys: Stone, Stephens, Bynes, Queen, Board but because our LBs rotate it's much easier to just give the green dot to someone who's not coming off the field so stone vs stephens

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean it's a fair response to the questions that came up again today from people suggesting huntley be the starter

and he's not poking holes in huntley for the sake of nitpicking - just illustrating why it is that he's not a starter and maybe wont ever be

and that that's fine - huntley doesnt have to be amazing to be a good backup for us - that doesnt mean he's devoid of criticism in the same way that lamar's not devoid of criticism

rossihunter2

Staff Member

fwiw Hollywood liked this tweet too

so yeah i guess im doing the insecure high school gf/bf thing lmaooo

haha - i mean yeah it's not ideal for hollywood but that's part of having huntley as the QB - and id say it's pretty clear from the gameplan that they knew huntley was going to be starting the whole week because the entire offence was clearly adjusted to him - and part of that adjustment is understanding that ty doesnt have the greatest arm-strength/deep ball and has a big windup on long throws which makes it easier for defenders to jump routes etc.

so they brought everything shallower and underneath and quicker and that included hollywood

id love to get hollywood involved as a big play threat again but its tough without lamar and really tough with an OL that cant reliably create any sort of pocket

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
No doubt that Lamar is light years ahead of Lamar but he did two things today that Lamar hasn’t been able to do in weeks that ultimately almost got us a win.

1. Throw check downs and short passes. Wasn’t it incredibly refreshing to have 3rd and 2s often instead of 3rd and 10s? Until Lamar stops looking for a td every play, our offense will suck.

2 run the ball EFFECTIVELY, with an emphasis on in the red zone, (Huntley has the same amount of running tds as Lamar on the season) but outside of positive gains, Huntley used his legs to run away from sacks, not into them.

like I said this isn’t anything against Lamar it’s only praise for a remarkable backup qb.

it’s simple stuff that if Lamar fixed we would torch people agai. all year Lamar has been frozen between dump offs and runs and getting rid of the ball that has caused the extremely frustrating picks and sacks. It needs to be fixed somehow. We saw today you can win games if you take what you are given and it was undoublty refreshing.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Also takeaways from being there in person,

1. every single person knew we would go for 2 and wanted us to do so. My section all joked it would be the same play vs the Steelers.

I was actually really excited about our initial look for the 2 point, we were going to run the power right play (same play vs the chiefs at the end but other side)
I’m pissed we never run the roll outs, that at least gives us a chance

2. tyre Philips being hurt isn’t even that bad of a thing. He’s one of the worst tackles we have ever fielded and that’s saying a lot. Dude got pushed back like nothing on every play

3. tough day for oweh. You could see on the sidelines he was frustrated and he was consistently getting pushed 6-8 yards off the ball. Not too big of a deal just something I unfortunately noticed