• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Bengals, The 3rd Team and The When Will The Injuries End?

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is the kind of stuff the Bengal fans are saying :

Since Covid, I put on a few pounds. Looking in the mirror and seeing the truth is not easy. Ravens are just looking in the mirror and not happy about the truth.
Joey B and the boys just shut their Super Bowl window. The AFCN now needs to draft to respond to the Bengals, not the crows.
Also, FTS.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Players excelling elsewhere, being used in more effective roles that fit their skill sets. Players commenting the scheme is too complex. The constant miscommunications, leading the league by far in 40 yard + plays and being dead last in pass defense. Being known for scheming up pressure and blitzing yet we generate no pressure and we generate no turnovers. I know personnel plays a role, maybe I’m just really irrational after both Bengals games and his bulletin board ammunition he provided. We played great defense in the playoffs last year against the Bills

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Players excelling elsewhere, being used in more effective roles that fit their skill sets. Players commenting the scheme is too complex. The constant miscommunications, leading the league by far in 40 yard + plays and being dead last in pass defense. Being known for scheming up pressure and blitzing yet we generate no pressure and we generate no turnovers. I know personnel plays a role, maybe I’m just really irrational after both Bengals games and his bulletin board ammunition he provided. We played great defense in the playoffs last year against the Bills

isnt it more likely that the defence that led the NFL in scoring for wink's whole tenure as DC has regressed because we've lost like 8 corners and had our biggest playmaker threat on defence not play a single down this season

the pass rush is a schematic "issue" and the ravens have struggled to finish pressures the last few years but have also been up near the top of the league in pressure it just doesnt necessarily always come from EDGE guys (for philosophical and schematic reasons)

miscommunications, big plays (in the passing game) and pass defence issues all point to the decimation of the secondary

the bulletin board thing was funny - because in the end we did do exactly what he said we wouldnt do (double-team jamarr) which was kind of obvious anyway lol

nothing inherently wrong with wink's defence or his playcalling - you want him to self-evaluate and perhaps change the way we do some things with the pass rush and maybe the blitzing comes down from 1st in the league (which it was by far from 2018-2020) and maybe comes down from there but back up from where it is this year (due to personnel) to somewhere similar to the dolphins somewhere between 35-40%

think wink should look at the way flores creates pass rushes and simulates pressure effectively - similar schematically but there's just a few nuances in how often they drop guys from different spots (not dissimilar to the way we would drop bowser and judon and kill plays)

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
isnt it more likely that the defence that led the NFL in scoring for wink's whole tenure as DC has regressed because we've lost like 8 corners and had our biggest playmaker threat on defence not play a single down this season

the pass rush is a schematic "issue" and the ravens have struggled to finish pressures the last few years but have also been up near the top of the league in pressure it just doesnt necessarily always come from EDGE guys (for philosophical and schematic reasons)

miscommunications, big plays (in the passing game) and pass defence issues all point to the decimation of the secondary

the bulletin board thing was funny - because in the end we did do exactly what he said we wouldnt do (double-team jamarr) which was kind of obvious anyway lol

nothing inherently wrong with wink's defence or his playcalling - you want him to self-evaluate and perhaps change the way we do some things with the pass rush and maybe the blitzing comes down from 1st in the league (which it was by far from 2018-2020) and maybe comes down from there but back up from where it is this year (due to personnel) to somewhere similar to the dolphins somewhere between 35-40%

think wink should look at the way flores creates pass rushes and simulates pressure effectively - similar schematically but there's just a few nuances in how often they drop guys from different spots (not dissimilar to the way we would drop bowser and judon and kill plays)
I do love watching Miami’s defense this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do love watching Miami’s defense this year

i do too - i especially like watching it because of how similar it is to our defence and to (as you'd expect) the pats defence too

also worth noting they've added 2 studs to the defence this year in the draft in jaelan phillips and jevon holland
pats also (as we know) spent a whole load of money on defence this year in the offseason and also added christian barmore in the draft

we added oweh but we've also lost our entire secondary which is the key element to all of these man coverage blitzing defences

the dolphins have 3 of their top 7 2021 cap hits at corner and that's going to continue into 2022 and beyond - and the only 2 guys in their starting defence not being paid are both day 2 picks
the pats just got rid of stefon gillmore but he had been their highest cap hit before they traded him - they've got a pro bowler in jc jackson and devin mccourty and they're paying jalen mills and jonathan jones too - worth noting that the first game after jonathan jones goes on i/r they suddenly got torn apart

the ravens have 4 of their 5 secondary on 2nd deals - the problem is that they've got 2 all-pros and a starting safety on i/r and even the backups have injuries

the other thing about the dolphins and why i have a lot of faith in their coaching staff is because we got a great inside look at them and how they work and teach and develop and just generally operate during the senior bowl (and it was really the first sign i got that matt rhule was maybe not going to work out too based on how he held himself and operated - i went on a whole rant about it in last year's senior bowl thread)

Last edited:

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
My biggest worry is yes @cincy was bad cuz duh practice squad, but Cincy @ bal looked the same with all starters except MP

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

Since Covid, I put on a few pounds. Looking in the mirror and seeing the truth is not easy. Ravens are just looking in the mirror and not happy about the truth.
Joey B and the boys just shut their Super Bowl window. The AFCN now needs to draft to respond to the Bengals, not the crows.
Also, FTS.
Lol sounds good to me if everyone wants to do ignore us.
We’re going to be written off next year and no one will believe in us. I’m literally so excited for next season it’s almost like the perfect storm is coming for us to be super bowl champs under a narrative without pressure and I LOVE IT

but also they aren’t wrong in the matter we will probably revamp our secondary in order to compete with them. They are stacked at WR. We lack any play makers outside of 24 and 44. Not only are these dudes not play makers, they constantly drop interceptions- I kid you not -many of us could catch

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I know some don’t like to hear this but wink did nothing WITH nothing this year. He’s above average if he has above average guys to use. He’s below average with an average roster (this refers to the team week 1-12 ish, now we have nothing)

but I’d rather have a guy who can allow us to he great, when all the chess pieces are aviable, he’s the grandmaster.

This season might be just enough to allow us to keep him for a few more years, remember when you all were terrified he’d accept a job somewhere else?

as much as I myself and others overreact to this year, we can’t lose sight of reality.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My biggest worry is yes @cincy was bad cuz duh practice squad, but Cincy @ bal looked the same with all starters except MP

except it didn’t though - marlon had a rough day and got beaten on one bomb to uzomah... and chase had an 80 yard td that mostly came from missed tackles - defence couldn’t tackle when we played the bengals the first time

Completely different defensive performance - and that first game was probably wink’s worst of the year

it was poor tackling and some dumb busts and an out of sorts marlon that let that first beatdown happen

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Also, FTS.

You do realize that due to their multiple losing seasons that the Bengals have been in a position over the past several years to be able to acquire good pics for their roster right? Picks that are jelling together and presenting a major problem in the AFCN at the moment.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
You do realize that due to their multiple losing seasons that the Bengals have been in a position over the past several years to be able to acquire good pics for their roster right? Picks that are jelling together and presenting a major problem in the AFCN at the moment.

Yes, they picked the right years to suck, the Bengals and Browns are always getting great talent while the Ravens and Steelers have to find hidden gems in the later rounds

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, they picked the right years to suck, the Bengals and Browns are always getting great talent while the Ravens and Steelers have to find hidden gems in the later rounds

Exactly!

So, this just happens to be the Bengals time to shine. We need to get our starters back healthy and then draft accordingly and we should be right back in the mix of being a perennial powerhouse in the AFCN.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly!

So, this just happens to be the Bengals time to shine. We need to get our starters back healthy and then draft accordingly and we should be right back in the mix of being a perennial powerhouse in the AFCN.
We better man, I don’t want to look back on 2019 like I do 2014, but I’m starting to worry that was our chance with Lamar. If Burrow wins a super bowl and Lamar does not, my god