• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Mark Andrews, The Redzone Offence and ANOTHER Close Loss

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i honestly think he's been a very good player now for 3 seasons - his pass rushing has improved though in 2021 (which i was not expecting) - his coverage has been elite since 2019 and he's been a good edge setter since 2020
yes he has. I said in the offseason he was the most important fa edge rusher we had and if we were going to sign one, I'd hope it would be him. He's been an ascending good player for 3 seasons and he is still improving.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I finally watched the game and gotta say:
1. It won’t happen , but Harbs deserves some coach of the year talk. He keeps marching out this beat up group of rag tags but still finds ways to compete and exploit match ups.
2. Jesus Christ what a waste of a defensive performance that we’ve been begging for months now to see.
3. Roman is a a dingus but I don’t get why people are blaming him this week. When the match up is Colon Vs Donald …. Yea we’re f’d.
4. Sign Tony Jefferson back from 2022, he’s been great to watch.
5. Tavon Young not breaking on the ball. WTF man, Odell just sat on the sticks, go get the MF’r.

Love the fight in this team. Looking forward to another close one next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really hope we can just keep Peters forever. He doesn't even need a formal title when he retires. Just let him come here and do what he wants each week.

Coach Peters. He's already that on the field.

I think it's not are we going to extend him, it's more like when are we going to extend him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really hope we can just keep Peters forever. He doesn't even need a formal title when he retires. Just let him come here and do what he wants each week.

100% and tbh it's already clear he's going to be a DC somewhere (probably fairly quickly once he decides he's done)

shows you the trust and knowledge that wink has in him that he's let him take over playcalling duties in one of the preseason games this year - let him call the entire 2nd half of the 2nd preseason game

also shows you just how much he loves the game and the strategy of the game and game-planning - he has absolutely no reason to need to be as in depth on the game-plan in a season he has no opportunity to return to

rossihunter2

Staff Member
3. Roman is a a dingus but I don’t get why people are blaming him this week. When the match up is Colon Vs Donald …. Yea we’re f’d.

i do think there's something to be said for some of the playcalls that asked for the OL protection to slide away from donald or calling run plays that asked Colon to back-block Donald are not likely to be a good idea and that that's a bit of a failure of game-planning and situational playcalling

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i do think there's something to be said for some of the playcalls that asked for the OL protection to slide away from donald or calling run plays that asked Colon to back-block Donald are not likely to be a good idea and that that's a bit of a failure of game-planning and situational playcalling
Colon actually played pretty well in both pass and run blocking

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

“Hey Marcus how do you feel about fighting opposing players?”

rossihunter2

Staff Member

genuinely think hollywood might be invisible to huntley lol

hollywood is always open

EDIT: just to be clear im not saying he shouldnt have made the play to andrews because im pretty sure that's the 1st read - but it's a shame to give up an easy TD for another big play lol

wouldve put hollywood over 1000 too

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

genuinely think hollywood might be invisible to huntley lol

hollywood is always open

EDIT: just to be clear im not saying he shouldnt have made the play to andrews because im pretty sure that's the 1st read - but it's a shame to give up an easy TD for another big play lol

wouldve put hollywood over 1000 too

That's also a play where Huntley is rolling right, where Hollywood is crossing over mid-field completely to the other side of the field. That's a very long and not super easy throw. Understand he's wide open and you'd expect an NFL QB to make that throw, but I don't know if that's something I'd expect from a backup. It's comparable to a bootleg with a throw back to the far side of the field.

I'd be more pissed if he threw it to like a double covered receiver because it was his first read. In this case, Andrews was wide open also and it was a big gain, so I'm not losing any sleep over this one. We complain enough about Lamar or others not "taking what the defenses give them" and this is a classic case of a backup taking what's given to him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's also a play where Huntley is rolling right, where Hollywood is crossing over mid-field completely to the other side of the field. That's a very long and not super easy throw. Understand he's wide open and you'd expect an NFL QB to make that throw, but I don't know if that's something I'd expect from a backup. It's comparable to a bootleg with a throw back to the far side of the field.

I'd be more pissed if he threw it to like a double covered receiver because it was his first read. In this case, Andrews was wide open also and it was a big gain, so I'm not losing any sleep over this one. We complain enough about Lamar or others not "taking what the defenses give them" and this is a classic case of a backup taking what's given to him.
Difference between Lamar and Huntley. Looking at that play, Lamar is already reading Hollywood by the time Huntley read andrews.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Difference between Lamar and Huntley. Looking at that play, Lamar is already reading Hollywood by the time Huntley read andrews.

It's essentially the only two targets he has looked for in recent games, so not too hard to do when you're only looking at Andrews and Hollywood.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. That's also the kind of player where Lamar takes that throw to Hollywood, and if he misses it, we are screaming at him about how he has Andrews wide open for an easier throw down the sideline for like a 20 yard gain or whatever.

So its a double edged sword. These are not the kinds of plays I look back on as significant missed opportunities. Are they? Yes. If Huntley throws an INT into double coverage on his first read because he missed the wide open second read, yeah, I'm pissed. That's not what happened here.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agreed. That's also the kind of player where Lamar takes that throw to Hollywood, and if he misses it, we are screaming at him about how he has Andrews wide open for an easier throw down the sideline for like a 20 yard gain or whatever.

So its a double edged sword. These are not the kinds of plays I look back on as significant missed opportunities. Are they? Yes. If Huntley throws an INT into double coverage on his first read because he missed the wide open second read, yeah, I'm pissed. That's not what happened here.
I’m not mad at Huntley for making that throw, because he took the best throw he had, he never had the one to Hollywood because he’s likely not capable of making that throw, let alone the read.

had Lamar made that throw and missed, I wouldn’t be mad about the read, I’d be mad about missing the throw. That’s where fans are stupid, which we are well aware of lol.

Lamar likely sees that throw before he even gets out of the tackle box he’s probably got the possibility of a TD in mind before the ball is even snapped and he’s peeking at the safety with his first step, reading andrews/looking off, then sending it deep without even looking back, already knowing that safety isn’t there. At least that’s what Lamar at his best is gonna do, he hasn’t been that guy recently and a lot of that is because he’s had to rush and been burned by it and so he started with the ball holding and double clutching, but early 2021 Lamar is doing exactly that.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

as i said - ive got no complaints about the decision he made at all - just frustrating that hollywood's got wide open for a TD on a day where we didnt score one and we didnt even get to him in the progressions

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not mad at Huntley for making that throw, because he took the best throw he had, he never had the one to Hollywood because he’s likely not capable of making that throw, let alone the read.

had Lamar made that throw and missed, I wouldn’t be mad about the read, I’d be mad about missing the throw. That’s where fans are stupid, which we are well aware of lol.

Lamar likely sees that throw before he even gets out of the tackle box he’s probably got the possibility of a TD in mind before the ball is even snapped and he’s peeking at the safety with his first step, reading andrews/looking off, then sending it deep without even looking back, already knowing that safety isn’t there. At least that’s what Lamar at his best is gonna do, he hasn’t been that guy recently and a lot of that is because he’s had to rush and been burned by it and so he started with the ball holding and double clutching, but early 2021 Lamar is doing exactly that.

ironically lamar at his worst probably still hits hollywood there because lamar at his worst has been hesitant with the ball and with his reads which has led to some unnecessary double-clutching which means he probably hesitates to throw to andrews and then moves to the next read and hits hollywood who's completely free

tbh if im honest i think lamar probably takes andrews there anyway - not going to turn down a big play from your 1st read

rossihunter2

Staff Member

no but frustratingly he did do that on his int where he had to come off the deep shot and find andrews wide open underneath

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ironically lamar at his worst probably still hits hollywood there because lamar at his worst has been hesitant with the ball and with his reads which has led to some unnecessary double-clutching which means he probably hesitates to throw to andrews and then moves to the next read and hits hollywood who's completely free

tbh if im honest i think lamar probably takes andrews there anyway - not going to turn down a big play from your 1st read
But what I’m saying is I don’t think first read matters there, I think Lamar already has the sense that Hollywood is open deep before Huntley reached the point where he was able to hit andrews, yes andrews is the first read but there are early indicators that Hollywood is gonna uncover and I think Lamar picks that up right away and already has it in mind.