• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2022

Simba

Staff Member
Looks like Lovie Smith is now the front runner for the Texans job. Rumor is that they really want McCown but aren't willing to take the backlash. I know McCown is a big family guy so it'll ultimately be up to him, but if the Texans believe in him, get him on staff and start developing him. QB coach or something like that to get a start.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like Lovie Smith is now the front runner for the Texans job. Rumor is that they really want McCown but aren't willing to take the backlash. I know McCown is a big family guy so it'll ultimately be up to him, but if the Texans believe in him, get him on staff and start developing him. QB coach or something like that to get a start.

you can tell this whole time they've been hoping that another team will interview him even just to see, just so that they can feel validated in hiring him themselves

they had sorted out their finalists and then out of nowhere decide to interview for the first time, someone they had in their own building all year and by all accounts werent even interested in - and for fairly good reason... he doesnt have a great recent track record of success

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I didn't even realize Lovie was still in the league. When I saw the news he was a candidate, let alone their DC I was surprised. I thought he retired years ago lol.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another position filled... Miami has their new Head Coach. Another one for the Shanahan tree and the first minority hiring. He is biracial.

He's an absolute genius and his press conferences are funny. imho the best hire.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy is about to be a free agent. His contract is expiring and he basically is a top tier OC available to hire unless he returns to KC.

Simba

Staff Member
I had a lot of respect for Flores prior to all of this mess. He came out and made a statement that he knew his choice to speak out would impact his NFL career and that it was bigger than that, and now he's complaining that he didn't get a job.

marklar

Pro Bowler
I had a lot of respect for Flores prior to all of this mess. He came out and made a statement that he knew his choice to speak out would impact his NFL career and that it was bigger than that, and now he's complaining that he didn't get a job.

Yeah, that one wasn't pretty. The "obvious" part basically reads as "Lovie Smith is an idiot, and would only be hired over me because I'm being blacklisted". Nice way to piss on your coaching colleague. The motivation in that one should serve more as ammunition for the NFL to say Flores is hard to cooperate with than to strengthen the case he already seemed to have against some of the other teams. (but IANAL etc)

That said, Smith does not seem like a very inspiring hire for a team that is trying to dig itself out of a large hole. Are they planning on losing until the contract of their current start QB expires?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I mean......he did state that he was risking his career so I don't know why the change in energy.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean......he did state that he was risking his career so I don't know why the change in energy.
Well, for me, his timing is pretty damn embarrassing. If he was as morally righteous and concerned about "doing the right thing" as he's trying to come off, then you go public against your boss (Stephen Ross) when the incidents occur, not wait until you get fired and realize nobody is going to hire you before smearing everybody in site.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, for me, his timing is pretty damn embarrassing. If he was as morally righteous and concerned about "doing the right thing" as he's trying to come off, then you go public against your boss (Stephen Ross) when the incidents occur, not wait until you get fired and realize nobody is going to hire you before smearing everybody in site.

hold on - you can argue timing (e.g. doing it on the 1st day of black history month etc.) but no way you can give a young (in coaching terms) black man stick for not going against your billionaire boss in your first year as a first-time head coach

you can levy all sorts of complaints about "timing" but to ignore the role of power dynamics in that situation is to be deliberately oblivious

my quibble with his timing is that he potentially weakened his suit by filing too early... should have let the nfl and texans embarrass themselves by hiring mccown and then filed - this way he let the nfl save some face

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
hold on - you can argue timing (e.g. doing it on the 1st day of black history month etc.) but no way you can give a young (in coaching terms) black man stick for not going against your billionaire boss in your first year as a first-time head coach

you can levy all sorts of complaints about "timing" but to ignore the role of power dynamics in that situation is to be deliberately oblivious

my quibble with his timing is that he potentially weakened his suit by filing too early... should have let the nfl and texans embarrass themselves by hiring mccown and then filed - this way he let the nfl save some face
Sure I can. That's what morals and ethics is. If you're a high character person, "timing" isn't a factor. It takes REAL guts to stand up to a billionaire boos and tell him what he's doing is wrong when it actually happens. It takes, in my opinion, far less guts (almost no guts in my opinion) to sue him years later because you're unhappy he fired you and its clear nobody else is going to hire you.

"High character" people don't wait for convenience. Brian Flores did. That's why the "power dynamic" is even less in his favor now.

If he had levied these complaints when they actually occurred, the power dynamics shift MASSIVELY in his favor. That's a person who's quite literally risking everything for a character stance. Not only is he risking future employment, he's risking current employment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sure I can. That's what morals and ethics is. If you're a high character person, "timing" isn't a factor. It takes REAL guts to stand up to a billionaire boos and tell him what he's doing is wrong when it actually happens. It takes, in my opinion, far less guts (almost no guts in my opinion) to sue him years later because you're unhappy he fired you and its clear nobody else is going to hire you.

"High character" people don't wait for convenience. Brian Flores did. That's why the "power dynamic" is even less in his favor now.

If he had levied these complaints when they actually occurred, the power dynamics shift MASSIVELY in his favor. That's a person who's quite literally risking everything for a character stance. Not only is he risking future employment, he's risking current employment.

you’re being naive - a billionaire owner vs a young black man with no job security - the power dynamics do not shift at all

just like they didn’t with kaepernick

the league decided he was expendable and that was that - the morality of it was completely meaningless, the power dynamics did not change at all based on the narrative framing

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you’re being naive - a billionaire owner vs a young black man with no job security - the power dynamics do not shift at all

just like they didn’t with kaepernick

the league decided he was expendable and that was that - the morality of it was completely meaningless, the power dynamics did not change at all based on the narrative framing
Sure they do. Maybe not power in terms of job stability, but that never existed anyway. That's the nature of a Owner vs Employee relationship... the power can never be equal.
The power Flores has by calling out a current boss is a) people are more prone to believe him and b) he maintains significantly more credibility.
He greatly reduces both by waiting until its convenient for him to do it.

I don't blame him for waiting, because I wouldn't assume the risk he did either. What I absolutely blame him for is trying to sell people on the idea he's doing this for a moral stance, or that he's all of the sudden just now realized how wrong Ross was to do it. If it's wrong today, it was wrong 3 years ago when it happened.

Spare the public the self-righteousness. Any intelligent person is going to see right through that BS. Just say what it is. You're a black head coach, you don't think you should have gotten fired, and you think it was racist that you did. And you think others aren't giving you a fair shake. Just say that.

As I said before, nobody on Earth can make the leap that Ross offering him money to lose games is a race issue. That's brought up, intentionally, by Flores, because he wants to make a former employer look bad for firing him. It has nothing to do with whether or not there's racial issues in the hiring process. They're two dramatically different things.

Hence, where the "I'm doing this to effect systemic change" concept falls apart for me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i missed this when it happened last week - i get that mcdaniels will have wanted to bring in his own guys - but feels like a misstep... alexander's one of the rising stars in the league according to many and i really love what ive seen from him (got a great look at him as a coach and a teacher at the senior bowl when he was coaching the DBs there)