• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2022

id be surprised if dorsey follows because he's got a prime opportunity to call plays with the bills (if he stays there) and with lots of the other OC spots available but not if he follows daboll to the giants

Rumor has it that he wants to bring Dorsey over with him, but I'm not sure why he would leave the Bills if the Bills would promote him to OC.

From what I have heard in the rumor mill he really likes working with Daboll, and would be given play calling duties. Bills are trying really hard to keep him though. I'm hopeful, but we will see. I agree with you that currently the Bills OC would appear to be a better job.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
17th Game is against NFC North in 2023... perhaps we won't have to wait too long. That is if Vikings can also win their division this year too.
or they make it to the SB. Of course the Vikings are 0-4 in Super Bowls so this would just make them 0-5

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It's official.. Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as their new Head Coach.

Raiders also got their new GM....

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Sad if true. Byron really seemed like he wanted to coach the Jags but the Khans keeping Balkke as GM is scaring head coaches away.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sad if true. Byron really seemed like he wanted to coach the Jags but the Khans keeping Balkke as GM is scaring head coaches away.

So I'll defend the Jags on this one a little bit...

1. If I'm the Owner, I'm certainly not letting my new HC dictate who the GM is going to be. If anything, some of the better run organizations are going to be the opposite way, where the GM is leading a lot of the search for the new HC.
While I could see this situation making sense for a more tenured coach with a track record (like if you're courting Andy Reid or Sean Payton), but it goes without saying that Byron Leftwich, with basically no experience, doesn't have close to that pedigree.
2. I would be highly surprised if Leftwich was a successful HC at this point. Maybe down the road, but I think its a bad hire anyway. I didn't think his time in Arizona was impressive at all, I was thoroughly unimpressed with is ability to develop Jameis Winston at all, and I don't put a ton of stock in his ability to win a SB with Tom Brady and a trio of stud WRs. I think Adam Gase could have been the OC of that offense and they'd still have won the SB.

So in my opinion, a "dead deal" with Leftwich is probably a good thing for the franchise. I think they can do better.

Understanding that Baalke may suck, and they probably are better off without him, but firing him to make Byron Leftwich happy seems like a stupid move to me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I'll defend the Jags on this one a little bit...

1. If I'm the Owner, I'm certainly not letting my new HC dictate who the GM is going to be. If anything, some of the better run organizations are going to be the opposite way, where the GM is leading a lot of the search for the new HC.
While I could see this situation making sense for a more tenured coach with a track record (like if you're courting Andy Reid or Sean Payton), but it goes without saying that Byron Leftwich, with basically no experience, doesn't have close to that pedigree.
2. I would be highly surprised if Leftwich was a successful HC at this point. Maybe down the road, but I think its a bad hire anyway. I didn't think his time in Arizona was impressive at all, I was thoroughly unimpressed with is ability to develop Jameis Winston at all, and I don't put a ton of stock in his ability to win a SB with Tom Brady and a trio of stud WRs. I think Adam Gase could have been the OC of that offense and they'd still have won the SB.

So in my opinion, a "dead deal" with Leftwich is probably a good thing for the franchise. I think they can do better.

Understanding that Baalke may suck, and they probably are better off without him, but firing him to make Byron Leftwich happy seems like a stupid move to me.

i mean i think leftwich has done pretty spectacularly - he only had 1 year with Jameis Winston and while he couldnt prevent jameis throwing picks, he did help turn a miserable bucs offence into a top 3 offence and winston into a 5000 yard passer in his only season with the Bucs before brady showed up

and it's ballsy for him to come to the jags and demand they change the GM - but he's also got significant pre-existing links with that franchise and worth pointing out that most of the HC candidates have brought up Baalke as a sticking point

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Vikings seemingly have their man. They just have to wait until after the Super Bowl. Another branch that sprouted on the Sean McVay coaching tree.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Cross the Jaguars off the list of teams needing a Head Coach. Jaguars hire former Super Bowl Winning Head Coach Doug Pederson. It should be noted that the AFC South plays the NFC East this season, Jacksonville will be heading to Philly with Pederson where they have a statue of him outside of the stadium.

This means we are down to three. It seems Miami is zeroing in on 49ers Offensive Coordinator Mike McDaniel. Saints are still interviewing, they plan on interviewing Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy this weekend while Houston... who the hell knows what they will do. Apparently Flores is a finalist there which makes sense given his connection to Jack Esterby and so is Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon and former QB Josh McCown.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Flores and McCown are the finalists...
From HS-QB coach to NFL HC - unbelievable i know it's the Texans but still.

nfl head office probably really hoping that the texans dont hire mccown here given the lawsuit... the context and the process doesnt really matter at this point - would be a horrible look for a zero-experience white guy to get the job over an experienced HC who's coming off 2 straight winning seasons...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another position filled... Miami has their new Head Coach. Another one for the Shanahan tree and the first minority hiring. He is biracial.

Last edited: