• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
No tight end drafted is to be a blocker but if they can't find a role they become one. I'm not suggesting that we turn Kolar into Boyle or anything, I'm thinking he puts on 10 pounds of muscle to his huge frame so he has a better chance of being on the field.

I think I miscommunicated by saying blocking tight end. I just mean a guy who can be big and block more than he use to. He could be an awesome readzone weapon with improved blocking added to his impressive ability to find coverage spots
I mean... plenty of TEs are drafted with no real desire to ever make them a part of the passing game as a pass catcher.
Like Boyle's college stats as a pass catcher aren't spectacular at all. His season year he averaged like 3/25 as a pass catcher on a per game basis. And that's at a small school.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
but why do that when you could focus on receiving...

the fact of the matter is that most college TEs are hardly used at all unless you go to specific schools
I feel like the top tightends in nfl are usually the ones that actually have production in college.. only person i can think of who didnt really produce decent numbers is kittle..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I feel like the top tightends in nfl are usually the ones that actually have production in college.. only person i can think of who didnt really produce decent numbers is kittle..
many schools don't use TEs like they are used in the NFL

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
many schools don't use TEs like they are used in the NFL
I understand that but alot of them schools dnt have good tight ends anyway imo. there arent many kittles in college .. like the ones that have talent but maybe hard find because schools dnt use them..most colleges dnt use tightends like you say… but at same time.. you have those tightends that no matter what college they attended… they wouldve had to be used.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean that's not necessarily true... i would say that maybe a third to even a half of the top TEs in the league hardly produced in college off the top of my head...

kittle
waller
schultz
knox
thomas

even more guys than that depending on what counts as "production" for a college TE...

it's less though about the fact that successful TEs do more often than not produce in college, it's that production is probably the least indicative of success of almost any position in the sport - there are lots and lots of TEs with great production who do absolutely nothing in the league - it's a traits position

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I understand that but alot of them schools dnt have good tight ends anyway imo. there arent many kittles in college .. like the ones that have talent but maybe hard find because schools dnt use them..most colleges dnt use tightends like you say… but at same time.. you have those tightends that no matter what college they attended… they wouldve had to be used.

the reason lots of TEs end up at certain schools is almost like a self-fulfilling prophesy... if you're a good TE, you're going to prioritise certain schools that have shown they feature TEs in their offence which means that those schools typically have better TEs and more reason to continue to emphasise that position

but i think it's worth pointing out that frequently there are TEs at big schools who are not getting used no matter their talent because that's not what the elite college offences look like

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i mean that's not necessarily true... i would say that maybe a third to even a half of the top TEs in the league hardly produced in college off the top of my head...

kittle
waller
schultz
knox
thomas

even more guys than that depending on what counts as "production" for a college TE...

it's less though about the fact that successful TEs do more often than not produce in college, it's that production is probably the least indicative of success of almost any position in the sport - there are lots and lots of TEs with great production who do absolutely nothing in the league - it's a traits position
To be fair, Waller did not produce as a WR, not TE.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Minicamp is Mandatory correct? So Lamar definitely going to have to show up right?

Would incur fines for not turning up
If he doesn't turn up (and hasn't been excused) then that's when we should maybe be concerned that all is not what it seems with regards to his contract...

other than a contract holdout (which we're not expecting), we should expect him to be there in 8 days time

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have so much to say…. But no one wants to hear it lol. Everyone here is a Harbs stan

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

kittle
waller
schultz
knox
thomas

Waller was a wr in college… dawson only had 588 yards this yr but before that he was putting up his college numbers for bills..idk who thomas is..

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Speak ya piece and SAY IT WITH YOUR CHEST!

Well basically, I don't understand why we keep Greg Roman when clearly Lamar doesn't like the system/doesn't like running so much, as per what he said. Hollywood hated the system and wanted out. How many other receivers think the same thing? Can we afford to lose Lamar because we will most likely keep this system in place and most likely keep Roman, because he's Harbaugh's buddy?