• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well basically, I don't understand why we keep Greg Roman when clearly Lamar doesn't like the system/doesn't like running so much, as per what he said. Hollywood hated the system and wanted out. How many other receivers think the same thing? Can we afford to lose Lamar because we will most likely keep this system in place and most likely keep Roman, because he's Harbaugh's buddy?

if lamar didn't like Roman's system... Roman wouldn't be here

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well I mean Lamar has said he doesn’t like to run. So what does Roman continue to do? Run him in designed runs. That to me is common sense that he doesn’t like that, and therefore doesn’t like the system

lamar understands that designed running is going to be part of any offence he's in - it would be a cardinal sin not to use such a dangerous element of his game

but outside of occasionally calling designed runs, why would Lamar dislike roman's offence?

the system is more than just designed run playcalls - and any OC is going to incorporate significant amounts of designed QB running when you've got the most dangerous QB runner in the history of the NFL on your team

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To be fair i think wrs have gotten a little more involved as lamar developed but at same time its never gonna be some pass heavy offense… idk why people expected something different when they knew his system sucked for wrs with bills and niners..our play calling has been limited in past because of both lamar and gro..

we're never gonna be the bills who had entire games where they didnt run it once - that's not going to ever happen here
but in 2021 this was a pass-first offence and while with the OL improvements and the return of non also-rans at RB we should see an improved running game and with the loss of hollywood we might see the outside passing game look more like 2020 or 2019 again vs 2021 but i still expect us to be at least balanced if not still pass-first in 2022

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
yea I think it’s important to remember that not only did we have a great run attack, in 19 and 20 we literally had the 1st and 4th best rushing offenses in NFL history

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'm more worried about JK than the rest. That injury looked brutal.

Should we be legitimately concerned that JK and Gus won't start the year and that JK in particular will never be the same? The BR.com article had some quotes from the former Chargers head physician that sounded very doom and gloom.

The answer to that question aside, why are doctors commenting on specific peoples injuries when they aren't even their patients? Its just dumb because even JK's doctor wouldn't comment because that would be against the law. Then you're gonna have some rando doctor comment from the peanut gallery as if he could possibly know what's going on in JK's situation in particular. I understand the guy has seen a lot of similar things and could possibly have some useful trend information to provide, but it feels really dumb and undoctor like. idk

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
We're starting to fill out our rookie class contracts. Expecting to see some extensions or something because I don't think roster construction is quite over and we don't have the space to do anything or be prepared for the season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How'd that rushing offense do for us in the playoffs
Not a good barometer. How'd that passing game do for us in the regular season last year?
Need to get to the playoffs first. Completely asinine to tailor your offense to January football games you may never play in. What's the point of putting together a team that can beat Buffalo or KC if you never get to play Buffalo or KC?
Reality is what you're describing impacts most teams.
Buffalo beating anybody if you slow down Josh Allen? They going to be able to run the ball when needed?
KC have a reliable running game to help Mahomes when he has one of his patented like 2-3 turnover games?
Pretty much every offense in the league is predicated on the design of that offense working. It doesn't mean they'll always lose when it doesn't, but most of the time, they will, against good teams.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not a good barometer. How'd that passing game do for us in the regular season last year?
Need to get to the playoffs first. Completely asinine to tailor your offense to January football games you may never play in. What's the point of putting together a team that can beat Buffalo or KC if you never get to play Buffalo or KC?
Reality is what you're describing impacts most teams.
Buffalo beating anybody if you slow down Josh Allen? They going to be able to run the ball when needed?
KC have a reliable running game to help Mahomes when he has one of his patented like 2-3 turnover games?
Pretty much every offense in the league is predicated on the design of that offense working. It doesn't mean they'll always lose when it doesn't, but most of the time, they will, against good teams.

Would’ve done very well had we had a semi healthy team

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar's strength comes from his decision making. If Lamar sees open field then he runs. Forcing him to run is different.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
we're never gonna be the bills who had entire games where they didnt run it once - that's not going to ever happen here
but in 2021 this was a pass-first offence and while with the OL improvements and the return of non also-rans at RB we should see an improved running game and with the loss of hollywood we might see the outside passing game look more like 2020 or 2019 again vs 2021 but i still expect us to be at least balanced if not still pass-first in 2022
If our outside pass game look like 2019 and 2020, playoffs gonna look the same for us…unless our defense plays great, which i think they really could this season once everyone fully recover

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well Lamar also runs an awful lot on non-designed runs. So if Lamar doesn't like running, his actions certainly haven't shown that.
I'm completely fine if we move on from Roman after another bad year. I'm just heavily pumping the brakes that if we bring in a more pass-happy coordinator (which lets face it, that's what you're advocating for), that Lamar will actually excel. I think we all need to accept that fact that part of what makes Lamar Lamar is that he can run the ball so effectively, and defenses have to account for that. If we start doing a lot less of designed runs, and start limiting his ability to scramble when he wants, then honestly, I'm not particularly interested in paying him $50M.
$50M pocket passing Lamar Jackson doesn't entice me in the slightest.
I don't know. Yes a lot of what you are saying is correct, but if we could find someone in the Shanahan tree it could benefit us with a better designed offensive scheme. Easier said than done though as we haven't really had good offenses in Baltimore until Roman / Lamar came to Baltimore.

Last year once we started having injuries along the line and our running backs I believe it took away many of the concepts Roman had been practicing during training camp. I could be wrong as this is a hunch.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Harbaugh's don't come around often. Just look at how many coaches have been hired since Harbaugh around the league and look how many still have a job. Most coaches in this league don't last. It's extremely difficult to find these types of coaches and they aren't available often.
Who is saying to get rid of Harbaugh?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m watching sip2tally live right now and I think what sums up our offensive struggles is that the rbs were not respected what so ever, and Lamar made many poor reads on the read option, unless they were designed keeps in which case that’s dumb, but Lamar kept on so many meshes where there was literally no defender to make a tackle on the RB because they focused so hard on Lamar, they didn’t bite on play action and took away the over routes we run so well, the deep slot curls, the seams, all of it was covered easily because defenders paid the rbs no mind at all and the playbook is built on the rbs drawing from the qb and both run threats drawing from the intermediate pass game.

If we had dobbins and Gus man that goddamn OL might not have mattered that much

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now in his defense, if "semi healthy team" meant both JK and Gus avoiding the injuries, our running game would still be solid.
Maybe. Would our Oline be? I was told our last two playoff losses, and especially the Buffalo game, weren't Lamar's fault at all and had a lot to do with our Oline being terrible. Do I magically get Stanley back too?

We weren't semi-healthy, so it's a moot point. And if we were, Lamar throws the ball a lot less last year too.