• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Who is saying to get rid of Harbaugh?
no one is saying to get rid of Harbaugh. Sizzle was just saying how we all say no one was out there to replace Roman with by using the analogy that no one knew who Harbaugh was either. I just said Harbaugh's don't come around often.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Maybe. Would our Oline be? I was told our last two playoff losses, and especially the Buffalo game, weren't Lamar's fault at all and had a lot to do with our Oline being terrible. Do I magically get Stanley back too?

We weren't semi-healthy, so it's a moot point. And if we were, Lamar throws the ball a lot less last year too.
Man, I don't know who was saying Lamar was blameless in both the Bills and Titans playoff losses because he definitely deserve some blame. As for getting Stanley back, sure.

I don't think anyone's arguing that we were a semi-healthy team. What Sizzle was saying is that IF we were a semi-healthy team (if half of our key players were not on IR), we would've done better than 8-9.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man, I don't know who was saying Lamar was blameless in both the Bills and Titans playoff losses because he definitely deserve some blame. As for getting Stanley back, sure.

I don't think anyone's arguing that we were a semi-healthy team. What Sizzle was saying is that IF we were a semi-healthy team (if half of our key players were not on IR), we would've done better than 8-9.
Maybe. I don't know what "semi-healthy" means. Maybe we're a one and done playoff team. Maybe we're a SB contender. I have no idea.
Point being fans should stop taking for granted that we can just trot out there and coast our way into the playoffs, and that everything we do should be built on winning playoff games.
Maybe we go into the playoffs and bulldoze people in the run game on our way to a Lombardi, in which case all of the discussion of "they've figured out how to stop us" goes away. I have no clue, because it didn't happen.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
They need to do with the offense what they just did with the defense-get a younger coordinator with a different scheme

Honestly I don't think Mac Donald is bring in a different scheme. His approach maybe different to Winks but Ideally I don't think he's bringing in a totally new defensive system at all.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m watching sip2tally live right now and I think what sums up our offensive struggles is that the rbs were not respected what so ever, and Lamar made many poor reads on the read option, unless they were designed keeps in which case that’s dumb, but Lamar kept on so many meshes where there was literally no defender to make a tackle on the RB because they focused so hard on Lamar, they didn’t bite on play action and took away the over routes we run so well, the deep slot curls, the seams, all of it was covered easily because defenders paid the rbs no mind at all and the playbook is built on the rbs drawing from the qb and both run threats drawing from the intermediate pass game.

If we had dobbins and Gus man that goddamn OL might not have mattered that much

tbf we do do a lot of meshpoint action on plays that aren't actually reads - there are designed keepers that look like reads (to allow us to get blockers proactive) and there are designed gives that look like reads too that allow the QB to hold defenders

but yeah, the it didnt matter whether they were real reads or fake reads, when teams saw mesh, they attacked lamar because he was the only threat - even if we'd only had justice hill available last year we would have been way more threatening in mesh because he has the actual speed to win the edge and turn the corner and make guys miss in space

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Honestly I don't think Mac Donald is bring in a different scheme. His approach maybe different to Winks but Ideally I don't think he's bringing in a totally new defensive system at all.
If not a totally different system some noticable changes to make it a more effective one, otherwise why have Wink leave?

Last edited:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Quote from Harbs is he sees Chuck as a starter and all 3 safeties are gonna get a ton of time. Also don't forget Geno and TJ.

He very much didn't mention Stephens there which really makes me think coupled to Harbs' previous comments that he's gonna be a CB, that he's gonna be a CB

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
If not a totally different system some noticable changes to make it a more effective one, otherwise why have Wink leave?

I think Wink was like one of the highest paid coordinators in the league before his contact was up this year. Just like with any job if there's a employee that can be just as good or better than the employee thats already at the position of question then usually the company moves on to promote/ hire someone else whom they won't have to pay as much money for to do the same job.

At the same time Wink contact was up which may him one of the hottest coordinators available and he has dreams of being a head coach..Maybe he wanted to go to a team with a bigger market cause it didn't seem like teams were taking him serious as head coach candidate for the past two years. I don't expect Mike McDonald to be a carbon copy of Wink but I don't think expect the defensive system to be a 100 percent different especially when McDonald was Wink understudy for a few years before being a coordinator.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I think Wink was like one of the highest paid coordinators in the league before his contact was up this year. Just like with any job if there's a employee that can be just as good or better than the employee thats already at the position of question then usually the company moves on to promote/ hire someone else whom they won't have to pay as much money for to do the same job.

At the same time Wink contact was up which may him one of the hottest coordinators available and he has dreams of being a head coach..Maybe he wanted to go to a team with a bigger market cause it didn't seem like teams were taking him serious as head coach candidate for the past two years. I don't expect Mike McDonald to be a carbon copy of Wink but I don't think expect the defensive system to be a 100 percent different especially when McDonald was Wink understudy for a few years before being a coordinator.
I still think the change was good-I know McDonald was a Wink understudy. Sometimes in those situations while you learn a lot of what to do, you also learn what not to do. And it seems that the defense needs a bit of a shakeup. I'm hoping to see more pressure from the front, less blitzing, better communication and better tackling.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Quote from Harbs is he sees Chuck as a starter and all 3 safeties are gonna get a ton of time. Also don't forget Geno and TJ.

He very much didn't mention Stephens there which really makes me think coupled to Harbs' previous comments that he's gonna be a CB, that he's gonna be a CB
Need to let tj, geno and chuck go… give adarius a shot..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think he over simplified it. It’s more like we still wanna be a multiple/hybrid type of defense, but with different principles. I’d still expect lots of blitzing and man coverage, but I’d also expect a more diverse range of coverages and a far less exotic blitz package. Macdonald does in fact put the front four in a position where they can win their matchups rather than execute a task to assist the blitz, much more often than wink ever does.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think he over simplified it. It’s more like we still wanna be a multiple/hybrid type of defense, but with different principles. I’d still expect lots of blitzing and man coverage, but I’d also expect a more diverse range of coverages and a far less exotic blitz package. Macdonald does in fact put the front four in a position where they can win their matchups rather than execute a task to assist the blitz, much more often than wink ever does.

it's going to be a different flavour of the same style of defence
still gonna be showing multiple looks, blitzing and rotating coverage to create advantageous situations - the big difference, i think, philosophically is going to be about gap discipline in pass rush when sending blitzes... wink frequently overloaded gaps to create free rushers and left gaps open for escape but betting on the fact that the guy who comes free is gonna be able to make the play, whereas macdonald is more about blitzing to create 1v1 matchups to allow his players to get good opportunities to win but without leaving gaps open

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still think the change was good-I know McDonald was a Wink understudy. Sometimes in those situations while you learn a lot of what to do, you also learn what not to do. And it seems that the defense needs a bit of a shakeup. I'm hoping to see more pressure from the front, less blitzing, better communication and better tackling.
just so you know. It's Macdonald, not McDonald. Agree with your comments and believe that is what will happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still expect us to do a good deal of man coverage, but I also believe we will have more zone coverages than we had with Wink.