• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I’ve heard it’s either 50% of the area will be rained on, like the tweet says, or 50% chance the area you’re in will be rained on. Every weather station uses one of the definitions
I'm fairly certain the weather is purely statistical with those probabilities. Like every day they measure the temperature, pressure, humidity etc. Every day those values are recorded as "features" as well as "labeled" with an outcome such as rain or no rain.

Then when they go out in the morning and make those measurements for the given day, they find all of the previous days that had very similar "features" and collect their "labels".

So to finish this, if they find there have been 1000 similar days to today in the past, and 750 of those days it rained, then they would report a 75% chance of rain.

At least that's what I learned in my Stat class back in college lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Proche gets a ton of pop in this media day video... no Duvernay, no Wallace...

I don’t want to read too much into things but that feels somewhat significant in terms of how the ravens view the WRs (or at least how the media team do)

It does mean something! Bateman called Proche immediately after Hollywood got traded. Those two are close. The camera is always on Bateman which makes sense and they're tight. So Proche gets the benefit of being tangential to Bateman.

With all that being said, there's gotta be a reason they're boys because Bateman sees something in him that he doesn't in the others. Guaranteed. It's not like a seniority thing, they're all effectively babies.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It does mean something! Bateman called Proche immediately after Hollywood got traded. Those two are close. The camera is always on Bateman which makes sense and they're tight. So Proche gets the benefit of being tangential to Bateman.

With all that being said, there's gotta be a reason they're boys because Bateman sees something in him that he doesn't in the others. Guaranteed. It's not like a seniority thing, they're all effectively babies.

and if it was about seniority and stuff like that then surely it would be duvernay - he's the 3rd round pick with way more production

it's not the first time that proche's seemed to jump up the depth chart as the first name people mention - i still remember EDC on the lounge bringing up proche first and calling him uncoverable - clutching at tiny subtle details here and drawing massive conclusions but there's got to be some reason he's the first guy up

it's especially notable if he does supersede duvernay and wallace because both of those guys are major fixtures on special teams

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and if it was about seniority and stuff like that then surely it would be duvernay - he's the 3rd round pick with way more production

it's not the first time that proche's seemed to jump up the depth chart as the first name people mention - i still remember EDC on the lounge bringing up proche first and calling him uncoverable - clutching at tiny subtle details here and drawing massive conclusions but there's got to be some reason he's the first guy up

it's especially notable if he does supersede duvernay and wallace because both of those guys are major fixtures on special teams
If proche is that guy, it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, as far as being committed to realizing potential proche is the lead dog in the race, by far, he has a freakish work ethic and puts more into elevating his game than anyone, he’s got an energy that none of the others have, he’s hungry as fuck and has the best hands on the team, getting his route game as perfect as possible could go a long way

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If proche is that guy, it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, as far as being committed to realizing potential proche is the lead dog in the race, by far, he has a freakish work ethic and puts more into elevating his game than anyone, he’s got an energy that none of the others have, he’s hungry as fuck and has the best hands on the team, getting his route game as perfect as possible could go a long way

he doesnt have elite athletic traits so he has to win with his nuance and intelligence - the bar for him to clear is higher than the other 2 guys because they've got athletic traits he doesnt

but he's certainly got the demeanour to become something with his route-running - will be critical for his long-term success that he finds ways to be creative after the catch

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

That's another 3 important points you've made

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Honestly the guy has shown in college if you make him WR1 he'll catch a million balls and touchdowns. That's because he's actually a talented route runner and has great hands. He's just missing the elite athleticism of his peers.

There's no need for him to be WR1, but if he's given real opportunities as WR2, don't be surprised when he catches 60 balls.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
predicting the 53 is pretty easy for the ravens right now but as you build that team it becomes clear that WR and EDGE just need more players (who will actually make the roster) - whether they're starters or not, we just need to add bodies at both those positions

i think it's pretty much a lock at this point that we're keeping 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 1 FB, 4 TEs, 9 OL and 5 WRs on offence - and all of those guys are on the roster right now except that 5th WR - that's 25 on offence and i dont think there's much wiggle room either way...

key battles on offence
- RB4 - which is probably gonna be mike davis vs justice hill and i think ultimately as long as tyler badie continues to impress, that justice hill will have the inside track on special teams and with his athleticism even though mike davis has some experience out of the backfield (he's just not dynamic and makes me think of the cabal of RBs we had last year)
- OL9 - Ja'wuan James vs Trystan Colon vs Ben Powers - i think powers is already basically gone and then it's just a case of backup C (which becomes less important if pat mekari isnt a starter) vs backup T which with Ronnie's injury makes a lot of sense to me - and i think a healthy james is far more valuable than colon
- WR2-5 lol - at least one and maybe 2 of Proche, Duvernay and Wallace are going to be starting and all 3 are going to play significant snaps i imagine... i think it's even more telling just how out on boykin the ravens were that they were fine getting rid of him even knowing they were gonna trade away hollywood lol (thank fuck they did or else i'd be sick to my stomach right now about the prospect of miles boykin maybe factoring on this team in 2022 hahaha) - i think it's still pretty clear we're going to have to add a 5th WR from somewhere but whether that's a veteran who factors in to start or whether it's someone to round out the depth remains to be seen - will fuller is still out there (im guessing because his finger still isnt ready to go... or because he's not interested in signing with anyone until training camp... idk why otherwise)

defence is a little more complicated because of derek wolfe, the lack of depth at both LB and EDGE, the crazy depth at S - best guess is 6 DL, 5 OLB, 4 ILB, 11 DB which makes 26

key battles on defence
- DL6 - to me this is simply derek wolfe vs brent urban with wolfe a massive question-mark... i imagine someone like isaiah mack will be back on the practice squad as the 3rd NT so no need to carry him on the 53
- EDGE - who's starting opposite odafe if bowser isn't ready to go, do we bring in another EDGE (i'm assuming we do whether that be Houston or JPP or someone else), and then how many guys do we carry... ojabo's 100% gonna start on PUP - right now it looks like Oweh, Bowser and Hayes are the locks and Ferguson's gonna make it on a pure numbers game basis - does vince biegel factor at all? i hope not but if hayes can't stay healthy and bowser's not ready to go then maybe he has to - i expect we'll go into the season with 5 with one being someone yet to sign...
- LB3 - malik harrison vs kristian welch straight up and i think they both make the roster
- DB10-12 - i think we probably carry 11 guys but possible we only carry 10 and possible we try and carry 12... best guess is geno stone, tony jefferson and ardarius washington are fighting over 2 spots, but they could be fighting for 1 or 3 spots too... also partly depends on whether chuck's still here in september... if he isnt then geno and TJ probably both instantly become locks

if anyone can do maths lol - you'll probably notice that between offence and defence i've got 1 too many guys based on the projection that we add both a WR and an EDGE before the 53... not sure where we lose a guy to cutdown to the 53... maybe JK and Gus are absolutely ready to go for week 1 and we only have to carry 3 RBs (or one of them has to start on short-term I/R), maybe we only keep 4 WRs although that feels sketchy, maybe we only keep 4 EDGEs which feels even sketchier given the health of that unit, maybe we drop a LB and only carry 3 but again that feels thin, or maybe we only keep 10 DBs but we can never have too many and we've got lots of talent there

stuff will work itself out but right now it's easy to do the 53 until we add the couple of vets we're expecting to add + this doesnt account for any potential surprise UDFAs although i imagine if one of them does great that they may well be knocking harrison off the roster rather than adding a 5th LB (especially with how much dime i expect us to play in 2022)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
predicting the 53 is pretty easy for the ravens right now but as you build that team it becomes clear that WR and EDGE just need more players (who will actually make the roster) - whether they're starters or not, we just need to add bodies at both those positions

i think it's pretty much a lock at this point that we're keeping 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 1 FB, 4 TEs, 9 OL and 5 WRs on offence - and all of those guys are on the roster right now except that 5th WR - that's 25 on offence and i dont think there's much wiggle room either way...

key battles on offence
- RB4 - which is probably gonna be mike davis vs justice hill and i think ultimately as long as tyler badie continues to impress, that justice hill will have the inside track on special teams and with his athleticism even though mike davis has some experience out of the backfield (he's just not dynamic and makes me think of the cabal of RBs we had last year)
- OL9 - Ja'wuan James vs Trystan Colon vs Ben Powers - i think powers is already basically gone and then it's just a case of backup C (which becomes less important if pat mekari isnt a starter) vs backup T which with Ronnie's injury makes a lot of sense to me - and i think a healthy james is far more valuable than colon
- WR2-5 lol - at least one and maybe 2 of Proche, Duvernay and Wallace are going to be starting and all 3 are going to play significant snaps i imagine... i think it's even more telling just how out on boykin the ravens were that they were fine getting rid of him even knowing they were gonna trade away hollywood lol (thank fuck they did or else i'd be sick to my stomach right now about the prospect of miles boykin maybe factoring on this team in 2022 hahaha) - i think it's still pretty clear we're going to have to add a 5th WR from somewhere but whether that's a veteran who factors in to start or whether it's someone to round out the depth remains to be seen - will fuller is still out there (im guessing because his finger still isnt ready to go... or because he's not interested in signing with anyone until training camp... idk why otherwise)

defence is a little more complicated because of derek wolfe, the lack of depth at both LB and EDGE, the crazy depth at S - best guess is 6 DL, 5 OLB, 4 ILB, 11 DB which makes 26

key battles on defence
- DL6 - to me this is simply derek wolfe vs brent urban with wolfe a massive question-mark... i imagine someone like isaiah mack will be back on the practice squad as the 3rd NT so no need to carry him on the 53
- EDGE - who's starting opposite odafe if bowser isn't ready to go, do we bring in another EDGE (i'm assuming we do whether that be Houston or JPP or someone else), and then how many guys do we carry... ojabo's 100% gonna start on PUP - right now it looks like Oweh, Bowser and Hayes are the locks and Ferguson's gonna make it on a pure numbers game basis - does vince biegel factor at all? i hope not but if hayes can't stay healthy and bowser's not ready to go then maybe he has to - i expect we'll go into the season with 5 with one being someone yet to sign...
- LB3 - malik harrison vs kristian welch straight up and i think they both make the roster
- DB10-12 - i think we probably carry 11 guys but possible we only carry 10 and possible we try and carry 12... best guess is geno stone, tony jefferson and ardarius washington are fighting over 2 spots, but they could be fighting for 1 or 3 spots too... also partly depends on whether chuck's still here in september... if he isnt then geno and TJ probably both instantly become locks

if anyone can do maths lol - you'll probably notice that between offence and defence i've got 1 too many guys based on the projection that we add both a WR and an EDGE before the 53... not sure where we lose a guy to cutdown to the 53... maybe JK and Gus are absolutely ready to go for week 1 and we only have to carry 3 RBs (or one of them has to start on short-term I/R), maybe we only keep 4 WRs although that feels sketchy, maybe we only keep 4 EDGEs which feels even sketchier given the health of that unit, maybe we drop a LB and only carry 3 but again that feels thin, or maybe we only keep 10 DBs but we can never have too many and we've got lots of talent there

stuff will work itself out but right now it's easy to do the 53 until we add the couple of vets we're expecting to add + this doesnt account for any potential surprise UDFAs although i imagine if one of them does great that they may well be knocking harrison off the roster rather than adding a 5th LB (especially with how much dime i expect us to play in 2022)
It would really suck to have to carry 4 RBs. I'd understand but I'd hate that. Especially with a fucking FB and 4 TEs.

Yeah our roster is kinda crazy this year. Both the offense and the defense are extremely imbalanced in areas

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d pay the man whatever he wants

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It would really suck to have to carry 4 RBs. I'd understand but I'd hate that. Especially with a fucking FB and 4 TEs.

Yeah our roster is kinda crazy this year. Both the offense and the defense are extremely imbalanced in areas

it's not the end of the world - obviously ideally you'd like to only carry 3 but 4's not crazy especially after what happened last year
i think carrying 4 TEs and a FB who does a lot of TE stuff is harder to justify but definitely going to happen because of the personnel we have (we're not going to not keep any of those guys)

i think for me, if they know they're gonna play a shit ton of dime with chuck and others in the box, maybe you can try and get away with only 3 ILBs especially given we've got bowser and hayes on the roster at OLB but that's tough to take that risk unless they've got loads of udfa LBs they like and can carry on the practice squad

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
it's not the end of the world - obviously ideally you'd like to only carry 3 but 4's not crazy especially after what happened last year
i think carrying 4 TEs and a FB who does a lot of TE stuff is harder to justify but definitely going to happen because of the personnel we have (we're not going to not keep any of those guys)

i think for me, if they know they're gonna play a shit ton of dime with chuck and others in the box, maybe you can try and get away with only 3 ILBs especially given we've got bowser and hayes on the roster at OLB but that's tough to take that risk unless they've got loads of udfa LBs they like and can carry on the practice squad
Totally. And theres also plenty of OL you'd ideally like to keep. It's sucks that a ton of offensive spots need to be filled by people who won't necessarily make any impact this year. Especially when there are so many defensive guys we want to keep who could.

But even still as you said ILB is so thin. And to start the year so is EDGE.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the guys im most excited/interested to see this offseason and preseason are:
Dealin Hayes (my guy lol)
James Proche
Tylan Wallace
Tyre Phillips + Ben Cleveland

and obviously all the rookies too - but of the rookies I'm most intrigued to see how Pepe and Likely do as 2 guys I was least familiar with in the pre-draft process and the guys who were the "afterthoughts" of the 4th round but who've both made waves early in the offseason activities