• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to be optimistic for the upcoming season even though I've got some worries. I think that MacDonald will be allow us to do what we want to do, but be a little younger and more modern. I think that will be a really nice step for the defense. Let's add to that room in the draft!

What I still struggle to get over is the Roman thing. I think others have done a good job in pointing out that some stuff about him is overblown. The thing I don't get though is why do we have receiver spacing and collision issues across years, players, and coaches. It's like Lamar and Roman are the only constants in this equation. If it isn't Roman, why is it happening and how do we fix it?

I'm probably going to get the classic comment, "the players just need to play better", but I just have a hard time believing that in this particular case.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm trying to be optimistic for the upcoming season even though I've got some worries. I think that MacDonald will be allow us to do what we want to do, but be a little younger and more modern. I think that will be a really nice step for the defense. Let's add to that room in the draft!

What I still struggle to get over is the Roman thing. I think others have done a good job in pointing out that some stuff about him is overblown. The thing I don't get though is why do we have receiver spacing and collision issues across years, players, and coaches. It's like Lamar and Roman are the only constants in this equation. If it isn't Roman, why is it happening and how do we fix it?

I'm probably going to get the classic comment, "the players just need to play better", but I just have a hard time believing that in this particular case.

i think it's a side effect of mark andrews freedom within the structure of the offence as well as execution/chemistry issues with the receiving group
it's notable that it happened a lot less this season than in 2020

andrews gets given freedom to go and find space in some situations and it naturally will alter the spacing within the route concepts - that being said guys should never be running into each other

i think if it hadnt been such a problem in 2020 no one would be complaining about route spacing in 2021

Simba

Staff Member

I think some of the route concepts and the length of time that it takes them to develop is the much larger problem than route spacing

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think it's a side effect of mark andrews freedom within the structure of the offence as well as execution/chemistry issues with the receiving group

andrews gets given freedom to go and find space in some situations and it naturally will alter the spacing within the route concepts - that being said guys should never be running into each other

i think if it hadnt been such a problem in 2020 no one would be complaining about route spacing in 2021

Yeah I hear you. There's just something that's so disturbing about the actual collisions.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like the hire, this is the guy I wanted all along, I think ojabo has gotta be a in-house favorite come draft day with this

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Hollywood has freedom as well within the scheme.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like the hire, this is the guy I wanted all along, I think ojabo has gotta be a in-house favorite come draft day with this

Ojabo or Dax Hill. Finally, a michigan player us Flock won’t mind taking LOL

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we took Dax hill at 14 I’d be mad tbh

that’s WAY early for him. I do like him quite a bit though
Hill would definitely be too high, but drafting Ojabo would give us a tandem of Edge rushers that begin with the letter O.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we took Dax hill at 14 I’d be mad tbh

that’s WAY early for him. I do like him quite a bit though

im not saying at 14. But if he falls out of the first (which I doubt once he test at the combine), I would be delighted if we package our 2nd and some of our multiple 4th round picks to move up and grab him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not saying at 14. But if he falls out of the first (which I doubt once he test at the combine), I would be delighted if we package our 2nd and some of our multiple 4th round picks to move up and grab him.
well we do have a love hate relationship with our 2nd round picks

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Which particular case?
Can you list for me the offensive players who are routinely playing at max ability, always running the right routes, always executing their blocks, always executing their throws, etc.? Because I really don't see it.

There's plenty of talent on this offense, but there's also a lot of youth and there's also guys who make mistakes pretty frequently. And that occurs from the coaches on down to the players.

My general rule of thumb... I'm firing players before coaches.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Which particular case?
Can you list for me the offensive players who are routinely playing at max ability, always running the right routes, always executing their blocks, always executing their throws, etc.? Because I really don't see it.

There's plenty of talent on this offense, but there's also a lot of youth and there's also guys who make mistakes pretty frequently. And that occurs from the coaches on down to the players.

My general rule of thumb... I'm firing players before coaches.

I'm talking about the fact that plays are very often taking a long time to develop and by the time they do we have routinely seen across years, across players, and across position coaches that we have spacing issues.

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm in no way saying they can't play better. In fact, it would be very easy as you say to name every player at the skill positions and point out what they could do better. I'm just saying this has been an issue for some time with different people. The only constants are Lamar and Roman.

My real question now is becoming, is this a Roman problem or is it a Lamar problem? It very well be the nature of having LJ at QB and him holding on to the ball too long. But it also begs the question, why aren't guys open so that LJ can be decisive?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sorry Rich, but the Big Mac is back!

9E7B42B6-89FC-41B2-A4D6-D5CF73992307.jpeg

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Your avatar made me laugh my ass no bullshit