• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The latter, because you need it in the post season.
I mean are you sure we need it in the postseason, or are we just assuming that because the last playoff game we lost we didn't have it? I'm not sure a one game sample is big enough for me.

I feel like there's too many assumptions being made that every team in the postseason can just stop you from doing what you do best all the time. That doesn't appear to be true based on the playoff games I've seen.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I mean are you sure we need it in the postseason, or are we just assuming that because the last playoff game we lost we didn't have it? I'm not sure a one game sample is big enough for me.

I feel like there's too many assumptions being made that every team in the postseason can just stop you from doing what you do best all the time. That doesn't appear to be true based on the playoff games I've seen.
The more weapons the better-and ours aren't even battle tested, apart from Andrews

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The more weapons the better-and ours aren't even battle tested, apart from Andrews
Right, but there's limited resources to obtain those weapons. Especially when your QB is holding out for a franchise-altering, potentially record-breaking contract.

More of those weapons are going to come from the draft (which we've already invested in heavily recently), which means they won't be battle tested either.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Right, but there's limited resources to obtain those weapons. Especially when your QB is holding out for a franchise-altering, potentially record-breaking contract.

More of those weapons are going to come from the draft (which we've already invested in heavily recently), which means they won't be battle tested either.
Right, I agree-- I was just responding as to why and when the importance/value of WR's #3 and #4 comes into play. It's because they're not battle tested we need the best ones of the bunch

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right, I agree-- I was just responding as to why and when the importance/value of WR's #3 and #4 comes into play. It's because they're not battle tested we need the best ones of the bunch
Right, and what I'm saying is, you're not likely to get "battle tested guys" as your #3 and #4 guys. Most teams don't have that, and if they do, they paid good money for them, which we don't have the luxury of doing.

Your battle tested guys are going to need to earn their stripes in battle before they can be battle tested.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. I'm not nearly convinced Likely is the 3rd option. But I'm setting realistic goals for what his ceiling looks like for this year, assuming a fully healthy season from Andrews. Maybe if Bateman gets hurt Likely sees an uptick, but not as significant in my opinion.

30-40 yards per game would be a great season for Likely. And you're talking like 400-500 yards for the season.

and honestly, that would be a monster number for a rookie TE. 500 yards is a good chunk at that position

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
The latter, because you need it in the post season.
I may need some more convincing. When we played the Chargers in the post season after beating them in the regular season, I swear Greg Roman changed everything around to try to win that game by passing the ball. There was some talk about him getting a HC position and I swear he was using our offense to prove he could win in the passing game to help himself. IMHO, he fucked our chances of winning that game by going against what worked to get us to the playoffs. After watching the Titans and Derrick Henry destroy us in the playoffs with the run game, I am not sure you need it in the post season. I will admit I have seen more passing teams win Super Bowls than running teams. With that said, you don’t see too many teams built in the same mold as we are now, after drafting Lamar.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I may need some more convincing. When we played the Chargers in the post season after beating them in the regular season, I swear Greg Roman changed everything around to try to win that game by passing the ball. There was some talk about him getting a HC position and I swear he was using our offense to prove he could win in the passing game to help himself. IMHO, he fucked our chances of winning that game by going against what worked to get us to the playoffs. After watching the Titans and Derrick Henry destroy us in the playoffs with the run game, I am not sure you need it in the post season. I will admit I have seen more passing teams win Super Bowls than running teams. With that said, you don’t see too many teams built in the same mold as we are now, after drafting Lamar.
Well a couple of thoughts- To match that, first off we need a healthy Dobbins (and a healthy Stanley). Second, The Ravens seemed at least last year, to want Lamar running less-will that continue? And third, imo, GRO isn't strong with devising a pass game to begin with-if that's the case hopefully he gets Williams and Martin involved

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yep, he was definitely over thinking it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well a couple of thoughts- To match that, first off we need a healthy Dobbins (and a healthy Stanley). Second, The Ravens seemed at least last year, to want Lamar running less-will that continue? And third, imo, GRO isn't strong with devising a pass game to begin with-if that's the case hopefully he gets Williams and Martin involved
I'd also like to see Urban involved in that. Urban was the WR coach of the Bengals before coming here.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I agree somewhat with GRO not calling strong pass plays. On some occasions it does appear that he schemes WR's into each other.

Dobbins, Gus, Boyle, the O-line. That needs to be healthy to really see where Lamar is at.

I don't care about how much Lamar runs or does not run. If he chooses to stay in the pocket to make a throw it does not bother me. I can tell you for the first 11 games last year it was a miracle to have the record we had. Lamar looked at times to be at his absolute best throwing the ball. As the season progressed he started to get shaky and was forcing things that normally he would not do. I credit that to how stagnant the offense looked due to all the injuries at the line which started to take a toll on him.

A lot of hypotheticals here but if what I saw from him early on (passing) is mixed with a dominant run game of the past I would argue that another great season could be had with the potential of a deep run into the playoffs.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I agree. I think its mostly about the usage for me. Like, realistically, what's a good target share for him? Short of injuries, he's going to be, at best, the third highest targeted player in the passing game. And that's a passing game that figures to decrease since last year into a more run-based offense.
Last year, the 3rd option in the passing game averaged just under 6 targets per game, which was Bateman. His weekly average was basically 4 catches for 45 yards.

In 2020, the 3rd option in the passing game was Snead, who averaged a little under 4 targets per game. His weekly average was basically 2-3 catches for about 30 yards.

In 2019, which may be a good indicator, the 3rd option was basically a combination of Hurst and Snead. They both averaged in the ballpark of 2-3 targets per game, and had a weekly average of roughly 2 catches for 22 yards.

So, for me, I'm not seeing the volume available for Likely to have like a gigantic season, UNLESS, there's a significant injury to Andrews. Like even if Likely were to manage to get like 5 targets a week, you're probably looking at something like 4/40-50 on a weekly basis. A good line, but nothing close to what Andrews did last year.
Just like Mark, or Bateman, I think Likely may be talented enough to be whatever option is needed, including #1. Gonna be tough to effectively cover all 3. And if they can get a JK or Gus or Davis involved in the pass game as well, could be spectacular. Exciting to think about.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I agree somewhat with GRO not calling strong pass plays. On some occasions it does appear that he schemes WR's into each other.

Dobbins, Gus, Boyle, the O-line. That needs to be healthy to really see where Lamar is at.

I don't care about how much Lamar runs or does not run. If he chooses to stay in the pocket to make a throw it does not bother me. I can tell you for the first 11 games last year it was a miracle to have the record we had. Lamar looked at times to be at his absolute best throwing the ball. As the season progressed he started to get shaky and was forcing things that normally he would not do. I credit that to how stagnant the offense looked due to all the injuries at the line which started to take a toll on him.

A lot of hypotheticals here but if what I saw from him early on (passing) is mixed with a dominant run game of the past I would argue that another great season could be had with the potential of a deep run into the playoffs.
In the words of the great Al Davis, just win baby!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
What is going on with Stanley? Who is playing Left Tackle if he isn't ready come week 1?

Wow that's a really fast recovery for Wallace! Glad to see Linderbaum back too. Let's get Proche back out there too.

Don't know about Stanley and Tyus. Tyus is the one that seems weird between the two.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
That dude JAD stays hurt. And looks like my boy Diego gone. Sigh