• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I tend to agree with that you're saying but the fact of the matter is most of what you said albeit insightful doesn't matter. At the end of the day, they didn't like him. As you said, he wasn't getting along with some of his players or the GM. The HC is the bridge between the two and very important. If he wasn't right for the culture, it may not even matter if he was winning because a terrible culture will always crumble and it does not take long. He just isn't there guy. Doesn't mean in any way he's not the perfect guy for someone else. There are far worse.

have we seen any evidence that he didnt get along with the players?
so far all ive seen is players disappointed that he's been fired...

and while you can point to the disappointing record, it completely ignores the historic turnaround - no team has ever lost 7 straight and then won 7 straight - obviously the first half of that stat is bad but the 2nd half is unprecedented - you can argue they didnt have any impressive wins but the play level was higher, the manner in which they did it was effective and clearly the players believed in him and fought for him

the front office and owner can ultimately do what they want but idk that i wouldnt be somewhat disillusioned with the front office as a player right now (especially given that it's the front office who's created all the speculation about Tua and not flores)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I tend to agree with that you're saying but the fact of the matter is most of what you said albeit insightful doesn't matter. At the end of the day, they didn't like him. As you said, he wasn't getting along with some of his players or the GM. The HC is the bridge between the two and very important. If he wasn't right for the culture, it may not even matter if he was winning because a terrible culture will always crumble and it does not take long. He just isn't there guy. Doesn't mean in any way he's not the perfect guy for someone else. There are far worse.
Right. So he's not winning, they're not a playoff team (again), he has zero history of winning as a HC (basically no track record that makes you take his side), and he's butting heads with pretty much everybody.

So why is he there?

Bill Belichick can win that battle. Brian Flores can't.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

and while you can point to the disappointing record, it completely ignores the historic turnaround - no team has ever lost 7 straight and then won 7 straight - obviously the first half of that stat is bad but the 2nd half is unprecedented - you can argue they didnt have any impressive wins but the play level was higher, the manner in which they did it was effective and clearly the players believed in him and fought for him

the front office and owner can ultimately do what they want but idk that i wouldnt be somewhat disillusioned with the front office as a player right now (especially given that it's the front office who's created all the speculation about Tua and not flores)

Remember, my whole argument is 10% the winning and losing stuff and 90% that they though he was bad for culture butting heads with Tua and the GM. If that is true then everything makes total sense to me. If that is nonsense being touted from the FO to just make him the total scapegoat and cover their assess, the move wouldn't make any sense to me.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Whatever praise and accolades he deserves for a seven game winning streak, he deserves identical criticism and failure for having a seven game losing streak. So its a balance.

If it's impressive to win 7 games in a row with that team, it's also really, really, really, really hard to lose 7 games in a row with that roster, and they did that. So I don't personally find it all that great of an achievement either to be honest.

I'm sure a lot of people look at yesterday's game and think "well that's a good ending to the season", and it may be. But I also look back at last week, in the definition of a "must win" game to maintain any chance of a playoff push, and they lost by 31. Didn't even get off the bus for that game. And he was the coach in that game also.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
How realistic is for us to promote Urban? Also, I wouldn't mind plucking Dorsey away for Lamar...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
with every passing hour, im more and more convinced that we're not going to see any coaching changes
Yeah I haven’t expected firings at any point this year, as much as we want them it’s just not a harbaugh move to fire an OC after a season marred by injuries, like that would be wayyy out of character, which is unfortunate but hey that’s the downside to our coach who is still one of the best in the game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I haven’t expected firings at any point this year, as much as we want them it’s just not a harbaugh move to fire an OC after a season marred by injuries, like that would be wayyy out of character, which is unfortunate but hey that’s the downside to our coach who is still one of the best in the game.

and that quality has stood him in good stead before and it engenders loyalty and good will for him and the organisation from coaches and players too so it's not bad...

just means that sometimes we fans dont get what we want lol (not always a bad thing but can be frustrating nonetheless)

that being said he was super decisive after the 2018 season to get rid of marty and promote roman - which happened 5 days after we lost to the chargers in the playoffs

if he is going to change it, it's likely it happens soon and if we get into next week or the week after and there's no sign of change then we definitely shouldnt expect any

Tyler

Practice Squad
I might be the minority here, but I’m kind of hoping that Wink gets a head coaching gig and the Ravens are able to move on without firing him. Wink is a great mind is extremely respected by his players, but the constant cover 0 calls in situations with the game on the line after no pass rushers or blitzers can get home has cost the team multiple times. It’s frustrating watching Matt Judon and ZDS reach their full potential with their new teams. Like I said I like Wink, but I’d be excited if the Ravens went in a new direction.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I won't fault the team for keeping or moving on from Roman or Wink. Both could be better, both could be a lot worse.

Simba

Staff Member
5 days last time to move on from marty to GRo - idk that that's too long lol

changing coordinators is a bit different than changing HC or GM

Especially if it's an internal promotion as the replacement. No need to rush it. They're in meetings this week discussing all of this anyways.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Especially if it's an internal promotion as the replacement. No need to rush it. They're in meetings this week discussing all of this anyways.

yeah if they're going to make a change they'll make it as soon as possible - they're not going to get any new information in 2-3 weeks time that they dont already have - this week's all about the exit interviews, some self-evaluation and turning the page to next year and i imagine that will culminate in an end of season presser at some point

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don’t they usually do the whole “meet-up at bisciotti‘s house” and strategize before making big moves? That’s why these decisions don’t come too hastily.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If Jim Harbaugh wants to take Greg Roman back, he can have him. It's going to take a bit before anything is decided on Roman & Wink considering they usually all meet at Biscotti's house and what not. It does say something that Greg Roman or Wink aren't lined up for interviews this year, I mean we didn't make the playoffs meaning they are available to interview now. Perhaps teams are figuring that we are winning and succeeding on offense in spite of Roman, not because of Roman.