• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2022 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I want this guy as much, if not more, than anyone else on this board.

im not sold on linderbaum in totality yet tbh

so far my absolute favourite is ikem ekwonu (although i think he's probably gone before 14) - but it's exciting that we get to legitimately talk about the best players in the draft as actual options because of how high we're picking

ive not studied any of the top top guys properly yet but Ekwonu and Booth are probably my early favourites from what ive seen so far (i will though point out for posterity that ive not seen a single snap of leal or karlaftis and some other guys so really just a snapshot)

JAAM

Hall of Famer
but it's exciting that we get to legitimately talk about the best players in the draft as actual options because of how high we're picking

Yes!!! I haven't been this excited for a draft since we took Ronnie, albeit I was hoping for Zeke or Jalen. I won't be upset with anyone honestly. Someone I keep seeing the most is Sauce. I'd take an offensive lineman before him, but if he's BPA on draft night, I hope the pick is in within a second.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes!!! I haven't been this excited for a draft since we took Ronnie, albeit I was hoping for Zeke or Jalen. I won't be upset with anyone honestly. Someone I keep seeing the most is Sauce. I'd take an offensive lineman before him, but if he's BPA on draft night, I hope the pick is in within a second.

i wanted jalen or bosa (mistakenly believed the chargers were gonna take tunsil) and that we would be able to get one of them

as it turns out it didnt really matter who we picked at that spot because every single player who we might have picked there: bosa, zeke, ramsey, stanley, tunsil, buckner have all been amazing lol

sauce is cool and could be in play at 14 for sure but too early to say - i think right now i've got 3 DBs ahead of him but not done any proper study of any of them yet

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Odd question but the Ravens have 2 first team all pro corners coming back and some of the second string that is under contract played fine before going down; meanwhile the front 7 looks empty so why exactly would DB be the top choice on draft night? I am not sure I would take one in the first 3 rounds.

Maybe a 4th round development pick for 2 years from now as the Ravens are good at that.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Really though. He reminds me quite a bit of yanda and I don’t mean to make a lazy comp, but he’s incredible at springing the play by making extra blocks and helping his guards, and he’s a master of positioning and leverage. He’s just really impressive on film for being only 290.
We need to stop screwing around at center and make the investment. Will pay off for many years to come.

Simba

Staff Member
Odd question but the Ravens have 2 first team all pro corners coming back and some of the second string that is under contract played fine before going down; meanwhile the front 7 looks empty so why exactly would DB be the top choice on draft night? I am not sure I would take one in the first 3 rounds.

Maybe a 4th round development pick for 2 years from now as the Ravens are good at that.

You basically only have Peters and Humphrey under contract, and even Peters' future is questionable. Young is under contract but is a cut candidate. Iman Marshall is the only other CB under contract and he hasn't played in 2 and a half years.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Get this guy in a Ravens uniform next year and fix a 10 year old issue. Thank you.

tyler-linderbaum.jpg

Only if we trade back. I can’t see EDC picking iOL that high. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t analytic-based drafting put more emphasis on positions. Premium positions are like edges, cbs, and tackles. We all know EDC and the bunch use analytics a ton now lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

because right now there's only humphrey guaranteed to be back next year because averett's a free agent, peters's cap hit is huge and tavon being cut saves like 6m or something

obviously what we do with those 3 guys massively impacts how we feel about the position but also worth noting that even if we keep tavon and MP around - we're still probably looking long-term to get younger - averett was the last young talented guy coming through on the cheap and he's now finished up his rookie deal

and as we saw this year you can never have too many corners

and as we saw in 2017, even if you've got corners you like, there's no downside to adding a blue-chip talent like us adding marlon to basically play backup and rotate in on the outside as a rookie

and you do it for a similar reason to the way we're looking at tackles too - 2 of the 3 highest value non-qb positions with depth qustion marks (as we look at it right now) and starters returning from injuries or with histories of injuries

if BPA is a CB, im not shying away from that pick in the same way that im taking an OT if they're BPA too

at 14 it's likely that there's going to be a high quality prospect available - it's also possible that we dont get to be particularly picky about what position they play - probably the only position we'd be likely to turn down a blue-chip prospect at 14 is a WR and you'd probably be seeing us try and trade out of that pick if that's the last guy left that we rate that high on the board

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Are Wink or Roman ACTUALLY getting any interest from other teams? Not this nonsense where people just say bullshit that is unfounded

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Are Wink or Roman ACTUALLY getting any interest from other teams? Not this nonsense where people just say bullshit that is unfounded
Negative. It's absolutely comical how there isn't even a whisper about Roman or a suggestion. No one wants his lame ass

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Only if we trade back. I can’t see EDC picking iOL that high. Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t analytic-based drafting put more emphasis on positions. Premium positions are like edges, cbs, and tackles. We all know EDC and the bunch use analytics a ton now lol.

i mean sure - but EDC's history so far has shown us he's not super-fussed about the positional analytics - obviously they take it into account but they're not beholden to it - but look at the 2020 draft as proof that we're not at all fussed about positional value over talent - that old adage of not reaching for need is still true - i think where the analytics and positional value is more likely to come in is when you have the same grade on players

i think what the analytics (and probably common sense) have solidified and made rigid is that i think we're exceedingly unlikely to ever trade up in the 1st round with EDC as our GM unless we're looking for a QB

JAAM

Hall of Famer
He's gotta go
I can take it or leave it with Wink, but I won't be excited at all for the offense next season if Roman is still here.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure there's room for Roman in today's NFL. With the rule changes, the way college players are being coached and the emphasis on athleticism and big plays in the passing, a coordinator that has below average passing concepts and relies extremely heavily on big play potential from the QB just doesn't seem sustainable.

I mean this year is an outliar because of injuries but we've lost more and more games every year under him with Lamar. Our running game has become less and less effective every year under Roman.

I dont see him having a better opportunity anywhere other than here with us and I don't think it works here. The guy needs to evolve or he's cooked imo

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is going to be a very difficult offseason for the FO. They have need in the trenches and IMO DL is the most concerning unit on the team with both Brandon Williams and Calais Campbell being FA. I think they'll pursue a new deal with Campbell but I don't see BWill coming back and that's going to be a blow for this defense. I know his play dropped off but I think his shoulder effected it. As the season went on he seemed. to have improved. It's not easy finding a 2-gap NT and you need to make sure whoever you decide to replace Bwill with has discipline. They lack play-makers on this defense beyond Marcus Peters, combinations of not catching the football and not really playing for the INT.

As far as the defense is concerned, I think they're going to rely on young guys (Queen, Stephens, Oweh) stepping up and taking bigger roles, and will aggressively try to retain Campbell, Houston, and Williams but I doubt all three return.
Brandon Williams hasn't been the same player for a few years outside of some good games here and there, although he did finish the year on a very high note. As much as I liked Brandon Williams, it's time to let him go and find some youth to fill his roll or an inexpensive vet and draft the replacement. I'd also be fine with bringing Campbell and Houston back, but we don't have the funds to pay Campbell what he received the last couple years.

marklar

Pro Bowler

If we took an ILB in the first AND another in the third one year and an FB in the 5th the next, we can conclude that EDC have no idea about positional value. This year we will take a punter in the 2nd if we follow thid trend

Partially joking...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can take it or leave it with Wink, but I won't be excited at all for the offense next season if Roman is still here.

id rather wink stayed but change is always somewhat exciting (albeit defensively we almost exclusively hire internally) - would imagine it might be a chance for chris hewitt if wink does get poached... i think what would disappoint me is if post-wink we looked to Rob Ryan just because of his philosophical similarity to wink and not at Hewitt (or weaver who's also got recent DC experience)

im with you on roman although i think it's likely we will see him returning for year 4 - ill be excited about all the returning talent and what this offence could look like personnel-wise but will not be super hyped about roman