• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was great to have the Forum Mock again, since it had been since 2019 since we played it last.

Great job everyone

Now onto Final Free Agency.

Simba

Staff Member
Browns are out (might fill that final 3rd spot in this round but nothing imminent) and Commanders are on autoskip for now. Looks like it’s all you for now @Truth

Simba

Staff Member
Now that I’m virtually done picking, I tried something a little differently in the draft and UDFA this year by focusing on guys with high RAS. I know it’s not a perfect indicator but tried to place a little more value on that when debating players. Obviously not every pick or signing fit what I was looking for but got the large majority and looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Now that I’m virtually done picking, I tried something a little differently in the draft and UDFA this year by focusing on guys with high RAS. I know it’s not a perfect indicator but tried to place a little more value on that when debating players. Obviously not every pick or signing fit what I was looking for but got the large majority and looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Standout traits. They're a big factor in the shallow pool. RAS is part of that. You've already said it, most of these players won't pan out. I still remember thinking Jester Weah was going to be a thing. But if you're going to bank on qualities, you could do worse than a terrific composite score.

Simba

Staff Member
@Truth just a heads up that I ended up finding 3 more guys for the Commanders so I'll pull them off autoskip. Know you're up so wanted to give you the notice so you can get some picks in if you'd like. But once I pick for them all of my teams are done.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
@Truth just a heads up that I ended up finding 3 more guys for the Commanders so I'll pull them off autoskip. Know you're up so wanted to give you the notice so you can get some picks in if you'd like. But once I pick for them all of my teams are done.

Much, much appreciated. I'll get my only 2 picks in and then it's open season. Give me a slight bit.

Simba

Staff Member
Honestly didn’t scout any of those 3 guys but they’ve been getting some buzz and/or appearing in mocks. Since the Commanders only had 4 picks, I’m just trying to play the numbers game and hoping I can get like a normal 7 person draft class in real life.

Also will be forgoing FFA because I just want to be done lol. Only planned on adding some 0.5 type guys so I’ll just make some assumptions about who I could get and call it this year.

Thanks for playing everyone. Glad we were able to bring it back. Looking forward to checking back in a week and a half to see how we did.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

almost all the good and great NFL players are great athletes - not all of them - but the vast majority of them
likewise most of the bad testers/athletes are not good/great NFL players - again not all of them - but the vast majority of them

if you're taking guys with poor RAS scores you'd better have good context or reasoning for it or else the probabilities suggest they're not going to become good NFL players - they dont have to be elite athletes but it's difficult to be a bad (in NFL terms - obviously it's all relative) athlete in the NFL

Simba

Staff Member
almost all the good and great NFL players are great athletes - not all of them - but the vast majority of them
likewise most of the bad testers/athletes are not good/great NFL players - again not all of them - but the vast majority of them

if you're taking guys with poor RAS scores you'd better have good context or reasoning for it or else the probabilities suggest they're not going to become good NFL players - they dont have to be elite athletes but it's difficult to be a bad (in NFL terms - obviously it's all relative) athlete in the NFL
That was my line of thinking. Like, I'm still a tape guy over testing numbers but the testing numbers have to back up the tape. We've seen far too many guys that dominate college and you think they're going to be great, and then they're out of the league because they just couldn't stack up to the best athletically. Not necessarily a predictor of success by any means, but at least shows that there are traits worth developing. Figured at a minimum for some of the skill position guys, they project well to a ST role.

Obviously couldn't get an exciting athlete with every single pick or signing but certainly placed a heavy emphasis on that this year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That was my line of thinking. Like, I'm still a tape guy over testing numbers but the testing numbers have to back up the tape. We've seen far too many guys that dominate college and you think they're going to be great, and then they're out of the league because they just couldn't stack up to the best athletically. Not necessarily a predictor of success by any means, but at least shows that there are traits worth developing. Figured at a minimum for some of the skill position guys, they project well to a ST role.

Obviously couldn't get an exciting athlete with every single pick or signing but certainly placed a heavy emphasis on that this year.

that's another great point - you've got a far better chance of sticking on a roster in day 3 if you play special teams... and you've got a far better chance of being a good special teamer if you're a good composite athlete with a good ras score

look at the issues proche has getting on the field here despite the team really liking him, loving his work ethic and him showing good things on tape... but he's not the athlete and hasnt got the frame that makes an impact on coverage units

and the other thing is... most day 3 picks miss and the few who hit are most likely to be part-time contributors... the ones who grow to be starters are astronomically more likely to be the ones who are NFL athletes or at least have some NFL level athletic traits (if not all lol) - not every day 3 pick who succeeds has to be 8+ on RAS but it's highly unlikely that a sub-5.0 RAS day 3 prospect is going to succeed... those are the fairytale guys

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That Austin Deculus pick may be the best UDFA taken this year. I was just about to take him and checked the big board to see if he was drafted, then went to the UDFA board and saw he was just taken @Simba

Nice pick

Simba

Staff Member
That Austin Deculus pick may be the best UDFA taken this year. I was just about to take him and checked the big board to see if he was drafted, then went to the UDFA board and saw he was just taken @Simba

Nice pick
I'm not even sure he gets drafted but just came away feeling like he's got a shot. Uses his length so well but obviously has some athletic limitations. Feel like he could carve out a solid career in the right place.