• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
"Justice League received mixed reviews, with critics praising the action sequences and performances (particularly Gadot and Miller) while criticizing the thin plot, CGI and weak villain. The tone of the film was met with a polarized reception, with some praising it for being lighter and more fun than previous installments, while others noted it as inconsistent.[110] On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 40% based on 237 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Justice League leaps over a number of DC movies, but its single bound isn't enough to shed the murky aesthetic, thin characters, and chaotic action that continue to dog the franchise.

Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars, praising the cast, especially Gadot, and saying "It’s a putting-the-band-together origins movie, executed with great fun and energy."[113] Owen Gleiberman of Variety gave the film a positive review and wrote, "Justice League...has been conceived, in each and every frame, to correct the sins of Batman v Superman.It’s not just a sequel — it's an act of franchise penance. The movie...is never messy or bombastic. It's light and clean and simple (at times almost too simple), with razory repartee and combat duels that make a point of not going on for too long."

Conversely, Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter, while praising Gadot and Miller, called the film visually ugly and boring, saying "Fatigue, repetition and a laborious approach to exposition are the keynotes of this affair, which is also notable for how Ben Affleck, donning the bat suit for the second time, looks like he'd rather be almost anywhere else but here."[116] Mike Ryan of Uproxxhad similar thoughts, writing, "...maybe in the future this can be a fun team to watch? Ezra Miller sure looks like he’s having fun, so that’s promising. The actors involved are all pretty good. They just need someone in charge to have them do something interesting"
I just got out of the movie theater for it.

It was a ton of fun. Sure, I'm a comic book fan, but I went into it with 0 expectations whatsoever but was pleasantly surprised. It didn't suck ass. The team actually works pretty well together and all of them have great chemistry. It made me want to see more of Ezra Miller, Jason Mamoa, and Ray Fisher. All in which honestly nail their roles to a fucking T. Diana and Bruce get some very solid developement, and Henry Cavill is actually properly used for once. There are moments that you can tell that Snyder had little say in, and it was for the better.

The one major gripe from me is that this villain is pretty anticlimactic... As are most villains in comic book movies nowadays. It's CGI heavy, but what are you to expect? It's effects are pretty similar to wonder woman's, which weren't fantastic either. But the CGI actually kind of works.... What, do you want practical effects for an alien invasion? The movie's CGI isn't that bad. Better word is inconsistent tbh. The movie is kind of self aware of how ridiculous this whole superhero thing is and it uses it to it's advantage. Again, kind of like Wonder Woman in that regard.

But this bad guy is so one note. Ultimately, he's better than say the villain from Thor the Dark World or Iron Man Three, or Captain America 1, or Iron Man 2 because he actually poses a threat, but his motivations are shit and his character is the definition of basic. He drags the personal watchability rating down a lot for me sadly. He was clearly a threat for the league on a danger perspective, but really was so monotone that it wasn't funny.

Pacing wise, the movie doesn't really drag like Batman v. Superman did. It actually didn't really have a problem with pacing until the end of the film. It's because of a stupid mandate from Warner Brothers stating that they had to cut the end of the film. The ending was rushed, which kind of made me upset given that they were really doing well up to that point.

Otherwise. I'd probably rank it as the second best movie in this universe. Wonder Woman is clearly better... And along with Logan, the Avengers, and Deadpool, Wonder Woman is in the running for the second best superhero movie to come out since the Dark Knight(with Logan being my personal pick). But this movie is better than Batman v. Superman, which is honestly a total mess even if I liked it, it's better than Man of Steel, which had MAJOR thematic issues even if the action sequences were awesome, and... Well Suicide Squad is probably the worst film I've seen in years... If we are being totally honest.

Is it amazing? No... Saying it's a mess is a bit harsh though. It's not bad. It's good, but suffers a little from a shit bad guy. It's got some good character development, a much better tone(people say it's as lighthearted as a marvel movie, I disagree. This is more akin to Wonder Woman's tone. For the most part hopeful, but Dark when it needs to be). It could be a hell of a lot better, but this movie showed a ton of potential for the universe going forward. I'd say it's better than most of the overrated films in the MCU(yes, I like the MCU, but it really only has 3 or 4 amazing movies out of the many they've put out. They've become formulaic. Hopefully Thor Ragnorock can change it when I see it this week. MCU hasn't really hit a home run since Winter Solider tbh. Civil War upon a rewatch you can see several flaws) such as the Iron Man sequels, the first two Thor movies, the first Captain America, Doctor Strange(yes.. That movie upon rewatch is incredibly flawed.. Hilarious ending though), Ant Man, Guardians 2(even though I thought it was pretty good.. This was better), etc).

I'd give it a solid 7/10. The action sequences are great, and the team itself has great chemistry. Suffers from a rushed ending and a weaker bad guy, but otherwise.. It's a ton of fun. I might honestly see it again.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The mcu was overrated for sometime and probably still is - that being said they are on a major role right now with 2 films many could argue are the best of the bunch
You mean Thor 3.

I have yet to see that one.

Spider-Man Homecoming is a good movie.. It just has a fuck ton of problems. Nothing to do with the acting, but the execution. Holland and Keaton are phenomenal, and the development of Holland was better than in previous Spiderman movies sans Spiderman 2. But the movie honestly drags for a good portion. Pacing issues, forgettable side characters. Some of the jokes hit.

The stakes are too low for these MCU movies to be able to build tension though, they build up all this plot armor just for Thanos to kill most of them. Take Hawkeye for example, his character went as far as it could go in ultron and they still couldnt pull the trigger on him and kill him off. Same with Warmachine on Civil War. Those were missed opportunities to up the stakes and give those characters a memorable end, and also let their talented actors move on to more fulfilling projects.
That's why I've had a massive issues with most of the MCU movies. The pacing is beyond overrated, all but one villain has been forgettable at best, their is no tension whatsoever because you know they're going to be in the Avengers. Avengers, Winter Soldier, and Guardians 1, along with Iron Man 1, are great movies. They actually have stakes. Say what you want about Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman.. Those movies have Stakes(even if their flaws are worse).

Honestly... Best superhero movies ever.
(*I do not consider Deadpool to be a superhero movie.. It's a superhero satire.. And a damn good one)
1. The Dark Knight.. It's not just a perfect super hero movie, it's a perfect movie with no problems whatsoever. Top 10 all time favorite movies ever. more of a crime movie. That's why it's timeless
2. Logan- The action is brutal, even by most R-rated movie's standards. Villain is a bit of a let down, but the acting is phenomenal. More of a western style movie.
3. Avengers- Amazing ensamble cast. Changed super hero movies forever. Stakes, great villain, amazing character building and action sequences. Best pure super hero movie of all time.
4. Winter Soldier- Amazing action sequences and the darkest MCU movie thus far. No real issues and the villain is pretty successful.
5. Wonder Woman- Some of the most badass action sequences in any movie period. Suffers from a weak villain but very strong in the character development department. Also not a true origin story since she was developed.
6. Batman Begins- Great drama, very memorable bad guy, very quotable movie. Great performances across the board. No pacing issues.
7. X-Men Days of Future Past: Again, it doesn't have too many problems. Has a very good internal conflict and handles time travel EXTREMELY well.
8. X-Men First Class: Second best Origin Story ever for a super hero movie.
9. The Dark Knight Rises: The most comic booky movie in Nolan's trilogy. Only movie in the trilogy with real plot holes, but Bane is probably the last great villain we've had in a comic book movie.
10. Batman 1989: No explanation needed. Most influential comic book movie of all time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My wife has seen it 4 times, I saw it twice and was tempted to see it a third time. She also fell asleep during Justice League

i really wanted to go see it again but i also love seeing new things in the cinema so went and saw murder on the orient express in stead

and that's my worry about justice league - not that ill find it bad, or good but that i wont care about it at all - i hate going to the cinema and watching movies that make me feel completely ambivalent about everything in them (it makes me feel like i wasted my money) - and im afraid that that's how ill feel coming out of justice league given all the reports ive seen

i think ill wait for the dvd

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just saw an amazing movie, Wonder, which is based on a true story and opened in the theaters today. If you have the opportunity to see this, whether in the theater or at home, please do. Wonder is a powerful story.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm going to see Ragnarok again tomorrow, so that's going to be cool.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I saw Thor tonight for the second time. I’d give it an 8/10. Pretty good movie, good bad guy, Some really funny jokes, visually pleasing.......

There are still no stakes. People calling it one of the best super hero movies ever made need to re-evaluate. No stakes, characters being idiots again(seriously Thor. You’ve already got the Hulk, just call for the rest of the Avengers where you’re at it), the movie lags at times, is formulaic, treats the people being held in slavery as a joke. It’s probably the best MCU movie released since Winter Soldier, but I’ve only legitimately thought highly of 3 movies post winter soldier upon second viewing. This is one of them(along with Age of Ultron which is actually an underrated movie imo, and Civil War... which was overrated upon second viewing).

These marvel movies are fun, but I’m growing sick of them. So damn formulaic. Even this one, with the creative director and the good villain, was beyond predictable and had significant pacing issues.

But seriously. Wonder Woman and Logan went against your typical formula. Both of those movies had STAKES. Both of those movies have Tragedy. But both are still hopeful, albeit in different ways. Winter Soldier had STAKES. Avengers 1 and 2 and all of the marvel movies that came before Avengers had STAKES. Only marvel movie since Age of Ultron that’s had any stakes, is DOCTOR STRANGE. Who in the middle of Thor 3, inexplicably fucks off for no reason, even though he’d easily be a massive help.

That said. It’s still a fun movie, and I plan to buy it on Blu Ray.

So yeah. Solid 8/10 for me. Infinity War better blow my socks off. DC has hired some real directing talent(Reeves, Wheadon, Jenkins, Potentially Matthew Vaughn) and all of their casting choices (sans Lex Luther... actually I think Eisenberg was a good choice but he’s a victim of horrible direction aka Snyder.. why hasn’t he been fired yet?) have been spot on. But I’m tired of the formulas damnit. Give me something thought provoking. I’ll take it from either studio. We need Nolan back and we need him badly

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I meant to type Guardians of the Galaxy 1 not Winter Soldier. I keep thinking Guardians 1 came out before that.

I thought Thor Ragnarök was a ton of fun but Guardians 1 was still more fun for me.

As far as the MCU goes it probably goes like
This for me.

1. Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Thor Ragnarök
6. Avengers Age of Ultron
7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Civil War
10. Doctor Strange

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw Thor tonight for the second time. I’d give it an 8/10. Pretty good movie, good bad guy, Some really funny jokes, visually pleasing.......

There are still no stakes. People calling it one of the best super hero movies ever made need to re-evaluate. No stakes, characters being idiots again(seriously Thor. You’ve already got the Hulk, just call for the rest of the Avengers where you’re at it), the movie lags at times, is formulaic, treats the people being held in slavery as a joke. It’s probably the best MCU movie released since Winter Soldier, but I’ve only legitimately thought highly of 3 movies post winter soldier upon second viewing. This is one of them(along with Age of Ultron which is actually an underrated movie imo, and Civil War... which was overrated upon second viewing).

These marvel movies are fun, but I’m growing sick of them. So damn formulaic. Even this one, with the creative director and the good villain, was beyond predictable and had significant pacing issues.

But seriously. Wonder Woman and Logan went against your typical formula. Both of those movies had STAKES. Both of those movies have Tragedy. But both are still hopeful, albeit in different ways. Winter Soldier had STAKES. Avengers 1 and 2 and all of the marvel movies that came before Avengers had STAKES. Only marvel movie since Age of Ultron that’s had any stakes, is DOCTOR STRANGE. Who in the middle of Thor 3, inexplicably fucks off for no reason, even though he’d easily be a massive help.

That said. It’s still a fun movie, and I plan to buy it on Blu Ray.

So yeah. Solid 8/10 for me. Infinity War better blow my socks off. DC has hired some real directing talent(Reeves, Wheadon, Jenkins, Potentially Matthew Vaughn) and all of their casting choices (sans Lex Luther... actually I think Eisenberg was a good choice but he’s a victim of horrible direction aka Snyder.. why hasn’t he been fired yet?) have been spot on. But I’m tired of the formulas damnit. Give me something thought provoking. I’ll take it from either studio. We need Nolan back and we need him badly

The way I think about it is that Thor 3 is no more formulaic than deadpool but because they both operate at a different level of existence to other marvel films they succeed because they don’t stay confined to genre and break out with satire/comedy

I liked guardians 1 but the third act does do the same thing every marvel film does and formulaicly conclude and I often rewatch the film and find myself a little underwhelmed but I really do like that film

Winter soldier I really don’t get - I like the genre crossover but when I rewatch it feels slow and not particularly interesting - where it could have been more insidious and creepy it resolved to being loud and overt

I completely agree about both civil war and ultron - I find ultron flawed but a pleasure to rewatch because of how much the characters naturally drive it narratively while civil war was a vehicle to create the airport fight sequence but there were no stakes at all

Doctor strange would have been a breath of fresh air if it didn’t match iron man structurally and in character so closely and in terms of cameos I really liked what they did with him in the film (if he had to be there) - use him as a glorious plot device while demonstrating his relative powers etc in a fun way

I think Wonder Woman is a good film and it was exactly what DC needed but when watching it on the small screen recently I constantly got taken out of the film by the writing - it was cheesy enough that I cringed a little despite the rest of the film being so great there undermining moments of bad dialogue but that being said it was still a good film

Logan is a work of art

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I meant to type Guardians of the Galaxy 1 not Winter Soldier. I keep thinking Guardians 1 came out before that.

I thought Thor Ragnarök was a ton of fun but Guardians 1 was still more fun for me.

This for me.

1. Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
5. Thor Ragnarök
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Civil War
10. Doctor Strange

Mine would be something like
1. Iron Man
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Spider-Man homecoming
5. Age of Ultron
6. Avengers
7. Winter Soldier
8. Doctor Strange

And then it’s a mess in memory after around then

K-Dog

MVP
Yesterday we watched
"Who framed Roger Rabbit "
"Aladdin"
and
"Monty Python and The Quest for the Holy Grail"

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The way I think about it is that Thor 3 is no more formulaic than deadpool but because they both operate at a different level of existence to other marvel films they succeed because they don’t stay confined to genre and break out with satire/comedy

I liked guardians 1 but the third act does do the same thing every marvel film does and formulaicly conclude and I often rewatch the film and find myself a little underwhelmed but I really do like that film

Winter soldier I really don’t get - I like the genre crossover but when I rewatch it feels slow and not particularly interesting - where it could have been more insidious and creepy it resolved to being loud and overt

I completely agree about both civil war and ultron - I find ultron flawed but a pleasure to rewatch because of how much the characters naturally drive it narratively while civil war was a vehicle to create the airport fight sequence but there were no stakes at all

Doctor strange would have been a breath of fresh air if it didn’t match iron man structurally and in character so closely and in terms of cameos I really liked what they did with him in the film (if he had to be there) - use him as a glorious plot device while demonstrating his relative powers etc in a fun way

I think Wonder Woman is a good film and it was exactly what DC needed but when watching it on the small screen recently I constantly got taken out of the film by the writing - it was cheesy enough that I cringed a little despite the rest of the film being so great there undermining moments of bad dialogue but that being said it was still a good film

Logan is a work of art
I think the criticisms of Wonder Woman are fair. Though I think thematically it's a great movie. Not a challenging one, but it does allow the viewer to question human morality itself. Something a superhero movie has not done in a long time. It's genius move was that it was taken place in WW1. Where morality was ambiguous in general. Not to mention it was a good movie with a female lead that doesn't preach for girl power. HOW IT SHOULD BE. That's why I place it in the top ten. It gets better upon rewatch imo.

Nolan Batman >>> Most marvel movies.

Winter Soldier is more of a spy/thriller edge rather than a pure superhero movie. It actually has a good bad guy and causes Cap to question his actions more than any other hero is questioned in the MCU. The conflict is well done, and the action sequences are phenomenal. It's not really a "fun" movie, and is easily Marvel's darkest movie, but it's executed really well.

Guardians 1 for my money still has the best humor of any super hero movie and does an amazing job at visual story telling. Is it cliched? Yes. But overall it has to be one of my favorites in the universe even though it's flawed.

Ultron has a well acted bad guy(Spader was perfect) but he was written as kind of a non threat. Quicksilver's death amounted to nothing as we barely got to know him. Hulk vs. Iron Man is one of the best action set pieces in the entire universe, and each character goes through significant development. Flawed? Very. But a good movie? Overall, yes.

Civil War I could argue that it was as big of a mess as Batman v. Superman. The Sokovia accords are stupid. The earth would have been destroyed twice over if the Avengers did not intervene. And of course they're going to be civilian casualties. It's an unfortunate consequence but it keeps a movie grounded in reality. Iron Man acts really out of character in the third act(irrationally attack Captain America? And then fighting him to a stand still when could easily crush him). Airport fight scene was well shot and cool... But NO STAKES. The best part of the movie were not the main characters. Introduction of Holland as Spiderman, Black Panther was really cool, and Ant Man was hilarious. Action sequences are cool upon first watch, but fundamentally flawed upon rewatch(the amount of jump cuts it uses is astounding and kind of embarassing. If you can't find stunt people who can execute martial arts moves then DONT USE THEM). The

This for me.

1. Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
5. Thor Ragnarök
8. Spider-Man Homecoming
9. Civil War
10. Doctor Strange
Alright gonna be honest, you got Avengers too high. Rewatched it recently I thinks it's aged pretty badly. I feel like much of its greatness was a product of it being an event rather than being a truly great movie. It's not terrible but I think marvel have a number of movies that are better than it.