• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Hell yeah it is, it might be the most fun movie Ive ever seen
It's really different than the other Thor movies. I wasn't expecting much when the movie was first announced. I was looking forward to GotG2 and Homecoming more than Thor, but wow, I really liked all 3 of them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's really different than the other Thor movies. I wasn't expecting much when the movie was first announced. I was looking forward to GotG2 and Homecoming more than Thor, but wow, I really liked all 3 of them.

I knew Taika Waititi’s work from before this movie so i kind of new what to expect/hope for but I didn’t think marvel would let him pull it off as it were...

I genuinely think ragnarok might have been the most fun I’ve had in a marvel movie and ranks certainly for me as one of the top 2/3 best movies in the marvel universe for sure

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I genuinely think ragnarok might have been the most fun I’ve had in a marvel movie and ranks certainly for me as one of the top 2/3 best movies in the marvel universe for sure
What are your other top mcu movies?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I’d have to say the ones that are up there would be

Ragnarok
Homecoming
Iron man
(I also personally really enjoyed ultron although i openly admit that film has serious flaws)
Mine are Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, Avengers, Homecoming, Doctor Strange, and Civil War. In no particular order.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mine are Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, Avengers, Homecoming, Doctor Strange, and Civil War. In no particular order.

I found civil war dull tbh - rote plot and a lack of stakes and sticking to values left me a little betrayed and underwhelmed at the end - also I know it was nominally a captain America movie but I was most definitely more sympathetic to iron man’s way of thinking

The stakes are too low for these MCU movies to be able to build tension though, they build up all this plot armor just for Thanos to kill most of them. Take Hawkeye for example, his character went as far as it could go in ultron and they still couldnt pull the trigger on him and kill him off. Same with Warmachine on Civil War. Those were missed opportunities to up the stakes and give those characters a memorable end, and also let their talented actors move on to more fulfilling projects.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I found civil war dull tbh - rote plot and a lack of stakes and sticking to values left me a little betrayed and underwhelmed at the end - also I know it was nominally a captain America movie but I was most definitely more sympathetic to iron man’s way of thinking
True, but that didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think the MCU is overrated. That said, I am going to a double feature of justice league and Thor ragnorak this weekend.

Nothing but "The Disaster Artist" matters though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True, but that didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Fair enough - but for me it made me tune out of the fight scenes because literally no character was in danger at all - those fight scenes should have been unbelievable and the only time I believed in one was the very last one with iron man, captain America and Bucky - because I really thought they might kill off Bucky - but then they undermined it by having everyone be friends again (kinda)

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
im not really interested in it - might watch it when it comes out on dvd... but im not gonna see it in the cinema
Yeah, I might see it in a theater if my family wants to see it. I like seeing things on a big screen, even if the movie itself is kind of disappointing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, I might see it in a theater if my family wants to see it. I like seeing things on a big screen, even if the movie itself is kind of disappointing.

me too - but i also want to see movies that excite me - if it had got good reviews i would have gone to see it but it got average/fine reviews and i hated the marketing and i dont trust DC the way i trust marvel

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
me too - but i also want to see movies that excite me - if it had got good reviews i would have gone to see it but it got average/fine reviews and i hated the marketing and i dont trust DC the way i trust marvel
It got average reviews? I might end up waiting for the dvd too. It doesn't seem like it takes a long time for the dvd to come out anymore.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
"Justice League received mixed reviews, with critics praising the action sequences and performances (particularly Gadot and Miller) while criticizing the thin plot, CGI and weak villain. The tone of the film was met with a polarized reception, with some praising it for being lighter and more fun than previous installments, while others noted it as inconsistent.[110] On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 40% based on 237 reviews, with an average rating of 5.3/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Justice League leaps over a number of DC movies, but its single bound isn't enough to shed the murky aesthetic, thin characters, and chaotic action that continue to dog the franchise.

Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3.5 out of 4 stars, praising the cast, especially Gadot, and saying "It’s a putting-the-band-together origins movie, executed with great fun and energy."[113] Owen Gleiberman of Variety gave the film a positive review and wrote, "Justice League...has been conceived, in each and every frame, to correct the sins of Batman v Superman.It’s not just a sequel — it's an act of franchise penance. The movie...is never messy or bombastic. It's light and clean and simple (at times almost too simple), with razory repartee and combat duels that make a point of not going on for too long."

Conversely, Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter, while praising Gadot and Miller, called the film visually ugly and boring, saying "Fatigue, repetition and a laborious approach to exposition are the keynotes of this affair, which is also notable for how Ben Affleck, donning the bat suit for the second time, looks like he'd rather be almost anywhere else but here."[116] Mike Ryan of Uproxxhad similar thoughts, writing, "...maybe in the future this can be a fun team to watch? Ezra Miller sure looks like he’s having fun, so that’s promising. The actors involved are all pretty good. They just need someone in charge to have them do something interesting"